why they ask for 800k?

room with cable TV 3500

electricity and water 500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

extra 3000 (beer, restaurant, movies, cellphone )

total 18500

you will need a little bit more than that if you want buy a laptop, a new cell phone, etc. basically you don't really need more than 20k for someone with 2 arms and legs.

if you are spending more than 20k bahts, it' s because someone take your money or you are just spending too much on unnecessary things like a house, car, or an expensive hobby(drug, ladies?) .

if you have a doubt, ask a monk.

Edited by VIPinthailand
  • Like 2

When do we expect it to double to 1,600,000 baht? Next year?

for me it has doubled already for the simple reason that piggy-backing of my non-Thai wife based on my retirement visa... sorry, i mean of course the politically correct "extension of stay" is not possible anymore smile.png

for me it has doubled already for the simple reason that piggy-backing of my non-Thai wife based on my retirement visa... sorry, i mean of course the politically correct "extension of stay" is not possible anymore smile.png

Your wife can still get an extension based upon being your dependent if you are on an extension of stay based upon retirement. There has been no rule changes that took that away.

It is simple they ask you to put that much money in the bank to show that you can take care of yourself at least for a year and do not land on the beach road eating from the garbage can.

But they are not forcing you to spend that much money. As you say spend 280 000 and keep the rest in the bank and 2 months before your visa expiry again add another 280 000 to be able to extend your visa.

Actually it's THREE months for extensions after the first one. Only the first one is TWO months.

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

you will need a little bit more than that if you want buy a laptop, a new cell phone, etc. basically you don't really need more than 20k for someone with 2 arms and legs.

if you are spending more than 20k bahts, it' s because someone take your money or you are just spending too much on unnecessary things like a house, car, or an expensive hobby(drug, ladies?) .

Where you live?

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

Where you live?

in heaven...
  • Like 1

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

Allow me to rephrase which monk should we consulting ? The one with his own private jet ?

It is my humble opinion one is not living on 20k/m one is surviving on 20k/m and before someone says Thai can live on less, i think you will find large numbers of Thai nationals are in considerable debt at this income level, they are not living on 20k or less, this is their income, not their cost of living

Further its rather offensive to suggest people who spend more 20k/m must taking drugs, or getting money stolen, and one must really question your apparant bitterness at people who spend more than 20k/m, its their money to.spend how they wish, you have absolutely no right to get all judgemental.on how someone spends THEIR money

Nobody lives on 27K a month, they exist. That's why

If you i) aren't a P*** artist, ii) aren't buying services that your Aunt Maud wouldn't approve of, and iii) don't regard "shopping" as a hobby then you really don't have a good reason - as a single person - to be spending 27k, of anything like it.

If someone spends north of that what's their answer to the question, "What's the last book you read, and how many chins can you manage?" smile.png

I'm guessing, "The Ladybird book of castles, and 'I've got a double chin, does that count?" laugh.png

Well, 2k quid is roughly B105K, about 87% less than the Thais expect now. Are you expecting things to cost less or the Thais to simply require less?

Yeah, but a couple of grand that's definitely there is a lot better than sixteen grand which was there in January but which you've long since put up against a wall. That's the point of an escrow account: you don't have access except under specific circumstances, like leaving the country. The other party also doesn't have routine access either. They have to show the arbiter that (say) you're in hospital, or have done 90 days in jail and a flight needs to be bought to send you westward.

It is my humble opinion one is not living on 20k/m one is surviving on 20k/m and before someone says Thai can live on less, i think you will find large numbers of Thai nationals are in considerable debt at this income level, they are not living on 20k or less, this is their income, not their cost of living

Further its rather offensive to suggest people who spend more 20k/m must taking drugs, or getting money stolen, and one must really question your apparant bitterness at people who spend more than 20k/m, its their money to.spend how they wish, you have absolutely no right to get all judgemental.on how someone spends THEIR money

In the UK the median income in an awful lot of areas is just over a grand a month, and single people can spend half that on rent, council tax and travel to work. Indeed, you can easily spend that. In Thailand your rent and travel in a lot of places will be £100 rather than £500, so you're "up" £400 just through that. The cost of other things don't differ as much, but 20,000 baht/£400 is (effectively) £800 in UK terms. Even if you adjust for the need to buy health cover and knock a £100 off for that a person on 20,000 baht is still living more comfortably than someone on the UK state pension.

People over-estimate how wealthy other folk are, they find themselves in their own imagination to be potent and a person of substance if they "..wouldn't get out of bed for less than "x", darling", and they never for one minute think that there's something pretty tragic about needing to spend money to fill a day. My mad aunty gets up in the morning and is either QVC-ing or she wants to go shopping. It's pathetic.

I've just reinvested £2300 worth of dividends. If you get on google finance you can see the two little blips in the Securities Trust of Scotland graph (1006 and 616 shares]! Should I instead have bought some designer guff to prove that I exist?

Edited by Craig krup

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

Where you live?

in heaven...

LOL.

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

Allow me to rephrase which monk should we consulting ? The one with his own private jet ?

and how do you spend more than 20k? . it s impossible to spend more than that for one person in Thailand.

I don't count the money spent for unnecessary things.

what do you need to live ? food, shelter, and water.

20k is normal for a farang in Thailand to live comfortably. now if a person want spend more in fast food, ladies, and beers, sure, they can, if it's his money.

Edited by VIPinthailand

Your wife can still get an extension based upon being your dependent if you are on an extension of stay based upon retirement. There has been no rule changes that took that away.

but that would mean to dissolve our joint bank account and establish another one in my name only. banks are nowadays issuing the "guarantee letter" in both names of the account holders and that (indirectly) changed the rules according to the information i received.

i have no idea whether this procedure is according to prevailing rules but then i couldn't care less because we always hold sufficient cash.

Day 14, funds taken from account:

-18,555.00฿

Includes -10000 for rent, -652 for electricity and -48 for water, so -10700 for utilities, -1200 for internet, that sums up for 6655 for the rest or 475฿/day without static costs differentiated prior. Dunno what people are babbling about just "surviving" - I don't have anything to put my money into, and even think the rent is a bit steep (though 160sqm 3 bed 2bathroom house with 320sqm yard).

I tend to eat outside every day, all meals except for breakfast, sometimes I also use mealsonwheels or food panda etc, I don't have a transport yet, which most certainly will up my costs, but as for the time being - and about this thread - I'm in agony as I can't spend as much as people are demanding for me to "live on" properly - geez - and I was thinking I'm quite wasteful, instead of a regular "cheap charlie" x) Though I'm not retired, but working, the 800k - or whatever it will be in the future - requirement is somewhere up the road, I think I'm leading quite a proper life, instead of "just surviving". I also recognize that here up north the living costs are quite a bit lower than in bangers/phuket/pattaya/wherever, and as such there is no generalizing of cost of living in Thailand per sé, Stop being so judgemental - if you lead a life with serious bucks, then do it with a smile, instead of a dismayal grin towards other people - I don't need a shitload of money for regular life here. I'm still quite happy that the cost of living index comparison latter dropped from top 5 of the world to the bottom 10 of the world - TH so far gives quite a bang for the buck, though it's not as cheap as it once was.

• Like 1

You can buy a 50 million bht condo but you still have to cough up the 800k, of course it probably wouldnt be a problem, but why?.. its the inconvenience of having to line up at immigration every few months

You can't eat a condo and it may take a while to sell. Their requirement is the 800K must be liquid. Money in fixed term bank accounts don't count either.

• Like 1

It is very simple. Joint bank accounts are not allowed. You are lucky they allowed ti even with 1.6 million baht.

we are using a joint account since 11 years and never had any problem. but if joint accounts are not allowed/accepted then where's the logic that Thai banks are issuing the required guarantee letter in both names?

perhaps the reason is: "TIT?"

You can buy a 50 million bht condo but you still have to cough up the 800k, of course it probably wouldnt be a problem, but why?.. its the inconvenience of having to line up at immigration every few months

You can't eat a condo and it may take a while to sell. Their requirement is the 800K must be liquid. Money in fixed term bank accounts don't count either.

the OP does not complain coughing up 800k. he complains about the inconvenience of lining up at immigration for 90 day reports and extension.

Why B800k? Why not B2m?

The B800k requirement has been here for at least 12 years.

Contrary to popular belief, medical procedures are not inexpensive. Airfares are.

As noted in a previous post, liquidity is an obvious requirement.

Which countries do not have such requirements for expats?

What I find illogical is that married status requires B400k - single - B800k.

It is very simple. Joint bank accounts are not allowed. You are lucky they allowed ti even with 1.6 million baht.

we are using a joint account since 11 years and never had any problem. but if joint accounts are not allowed/accepted then where's the logic that Thai banks are issuing the required guarantee letter in both names?

They put both names on the letter because there are 2 names on the account.

You can have a joint bank account but immigration does not have to accept it. Joint accounts were mentioned last year in news from immigration saying they were not allowed. People have been denied extensions for having one.

your wrong BB money in fixed term accounts DO COUNT.

Their requirement is the 800K must be liquid. Money in fixed term bank accounts don't count either.

Wrong

Fixed term accounts are allowed as long it is one that allows withdrawals at anytime with no penalty other than loss of interest.

and how do you spend more than 20k? . it s impossible to spend more than that for one person in Thailand.

20k is normal for a farang in Thailand to live comfortably. now if a person want spend more in fast food, ladies, and beers, sure, they can, if it's his money.

what about two dogs who employ two persons, the latter employing 4 domestic staff who's cost including perks is ~60k/month not to mention utility bills of 16-20k/month, food, shelter and drinking water not considered... impossible or not? tongue.png

please realise that your individual cloud nine perspective does not apply to each and everybody in the real world and its reality which seems beyond your imagination.

What I find illogical is that married status requires B400k - single - B800k.

There are many foreign couples that are getting extensions for both of them with only 800k baht it is not only singles.

One reason is that the extension based upon marriage to a Thai is for humanitarian reasons.

Another is that the Thai wife can work and help support the family. Plus their cost of living could be less.

They put both names on the letter because there are 2 names on the account.

You can have a joint bank account but immigration does not have to accept it. Joint accounts were mentioned last year in news from immigration saying they were not allowed. People have been denied extensions for having one.

for 10 years they put only one name on that letter. change only this year plus the new procedure that two letters have to be issued by the bank. that is the rule of the immigration office where we get our extensions.

when it concerns immigration and the zillion variations of demands mentioned in this forum my thought "TIT" and a yawn seems to be justified.

and as far as the anachronistic Thai banks are concerned my thoughts vary between cheesy.gif and bah.gif ...depending on the given situation and my mood.

room with cable TV 3500

transport 1000

dentist, hair cut 1000

food 5000

healthcare 2500

visa 2000

total 18500

20k is normal for a farang to live comfortably in Thailand, this maybe true if one spent their entire lives in farangistan working minimum wage / deadend jobs or living on goverment handouts then yes i can see your point, your used to slumming it