Thai officials and foreigners could face severe punishment for corruption

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good as long as they use this law with the police and all those involved in the Kah tao murders. lets see if a over up of the coverup will ned all the big wigs and bring them to the gallows

Prayuth doesn't seem to like ANY foreigners.

After stamping his official approval on the investigation and arrests, his comments about bikinis et al, I don't think he really cares about the victims, the 2 burmese scapegoats or their families who must be going through hell

Edited by fish fingers

Fact is that this is a huge improvement that there is no statute of limitations this is huge. Anyone saying the current government isn't making meaningfull changes is sleeping.

Compare this with the previous government who wanted an amnesty for 26.000 corruption cases (one still has to wonder why they were under the blanket pardon).

Sure people can moan that the courts still have to apply this but at least it changed its a step forward.

It leaves room for improvement but its a good step.

Not sleeping, but simply view this for what it truly is , Window Dressing at best and a not so subtle sabre rattling to a few bad apples overseas.

I just stopped believing Prayuth when the two murders in Koh Tao took place. He can talk about it all he wants but the facts are that as long as high ranking officials take bribes from criminal families, he supports corruption at the highest level. Corruption in the Thai Court system is plainly obvious to millions around the world who read about these recent awful cases involving foreigners in Thailand.

Spot on !!

I just stopped believing Prayuth when the two murders in Koh Tao took place. He can talk about it all he wants but the facts are that as long as high ranking officials take bribes from criminal families, he supports corruption at the highest level. Corruption in the Thai Court system is plainly obvious to millions around the world who read about these recent awful cases involving foreigners in Thailand.

Good point. This was a tremendous opportunity to show his sincerity in shaking things up. And it was a real admission that the sincerity is simply not there, when it comes to going after super rich or elite criminals, or their family members. All talk and no action makes the general a very dull boy.

By the way.....Can anyone explain to me why there is a statute of limitations for any crime??? I mean I know there is these limitations in every country on earth, but why??

It comes down to proof. In times long past, because information travelled slower, it was possible to be accused of a crime and not find out about it for years. (In law school, we read a case from the late 1800's about someone who had his land seized b/c he didn't live in the area and was not notified until months after the case was over.) So, if you aren't informed of a charge right away, it becomes difficult to get the evidence to prove your innocence. On the flipside, for a prosecutor, it also becomes difficult to get witnesses, have accurate memories, etc.

This happened to me. I got a fix-it ticket, and thought that I had taken care of it. Apparently, the police officer misinformed me, and there was a warrant put out for me. By the time I was 'caught', I didn't even own the vehicle anymore. It was, literally, impossible for me to prove my innocence by then.

'Could' being the operative word in the topic title. Can't buy your way out of being found guilty of corruption, your no good to us...then it's jail time for you sunshine!

To be fair, they have to use the 'could' b/c they don't know the facts of individual cases and cannot state a certain outcome.

They wouldn't need to execute many before the corruptin levels would drop dramatically. However, I don't think there will be any enforcement of these new laws.

Like suicide, surely "self-execution" would be illegal, if not frowned upon greatly... cheesy.gif

Nah, can't agree with execution for any of these offenses. That's going too far.

However, if one was caught with 30 billion baht worth of artifacts, historical relics and cash, enough to change the face of a nation developmentally, build schools, unis, parks, gardens, hospitals, roads and infrastructure, public wealth that has been pilfered and kept out of the public purse by heinously corrupt officials, - enough moula to change the GDP of a nation and possibly lift it out of 2nd world squalor and into a blossoming 1st world newly developed nation, like Singapore and soon to be Malaysia, then surely that would be as close to justification of the death penalty for corruption that one may be given. I agree too that it is extreme. But when you measure the damage to the rest of the country, committed by the fecal life of one filthy corrupt gangsta politician/state official, who really cares. Not I. A single bullet to the brain will suffice.