Teenage girl 'walked for days' in forest after surviving US plane crash

webfact

Sheriff: Girl who survived plane crash found by motorist
MARTHA BELLISLE, Associated Press
GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) — A teenage girl who survived a small-plane crash in the craggy, thickly forested mountains of north-central Washington state emerged from the wilderness after hiking "for a couple of days" and was picked up by a motorist who drove her to safety, authorities said Monday. But the fate of her two step-grandparents, who were also on board, remained unclear.

Family members alerted authorities after the Beech A-35 failed to complete its flight from Kalispell, Montana, to Lynden, Washington state, on Saturday afternoon. Rescuers narrowed down a search area based on cellphone data and typical flight patterns. But there was no sign of the aircraft or its occupants until Autumn Veatch, 16, followed a trail to Highway 20, near the east entrance to North Cascades National Park.

A motorist picked her up Monday afternoon and drove her 30 miles (48 kilometers) east to a general store in Mazama, where employees called the emergency dispatcher. The Aero Methow Rescue Service sent a paramedic team to check her out before she was taken to a hospital in Brewster for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries, said Cindy Button, director of services at the organization.

"Our initial information is she sustained no life-threatening injuries and is somewhat dehydrated due to being out in the elements," said Scott Graham, chief executive officer Three Rivers Hospital. The teen was being evaluated Monday evening, he said.

Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Monday afternoon that the girl had been "walking for a couple of days." He declined to comment on the status of the other two people aboard the plane.

Serena Lockwood, the manager at the Mazama Store, said the girl and a motorist came in Monday afternoon, saying she had been in a plane crash. "She was obviously pretty traumatized," Lockwood said.

Rescuers celebrated Veatch's survival, but they immediately returned their focus to finding the wreckage, aided by Veatch's description of the crash site, said Lt. Col. Jeffrey Lustick, of the Civil Air Patrol. Lustick said he could not confirm any details about the condition of the grandparents, Leland and Sharon Bowman of Marion, Montana.

"We're so happy about this," Lustick said. "I've spent 30 years in the Civil Air Patrol and in search-and-rescue. Moments of joy like this can be hard to find."

Lustick said he had spoken with Veatch's father, who said his daughter told him the plane crashed and caught fire after flying into a bank of clouds. She remained at the crash site for a day before deciding to hike down, eventually finding a trail and following it to the trailhead on Highway 20.

Five aircraft equipped with special radios for detecting the missing plane's emergency-locator transmitter had been searching the mountains Monday, along with ground crews, officials said.

The plane crossed the Idaho-Washington border about 2:20 p.m. PDT Saturday, but it dropped off the radar near Omak, Washington state, about an hour later, transportation officials said. The last phone signal from one of the plane's occupants was detected around 3:50 p.m.

The Civil Air Patrol's Cell Phone Forensics and Radar Analysis teams were analyzing clues left by the phones that were on board.

"These grids contain some of the toughest mountainous terrain in the state," Civil Air Patrol spokeswoman Julie DeBardelaben said.
___

Associated Press writer Phuong Le contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-14

I can't believe she didn't have a phone with GPS.

How can anyone get lost these days?

Be in a plane crash in a remote location and have a phone without a REAL GPS receiver or that requires cellular service to get a position fix?

Anyway, a position fix, without maps, doesn't guarantee that one can navigate to nearest habitation.

PS: My Sony Action Cams have REAL GPS receivers, but position cannot be read with the camera alone. It requires a computer to read the JPEGs or Video files to obtain the Lat/Lon of each shot. It's really aggravating. I guess they didn't want to be seen to compete with the GPS receiver market.

Edited by MaxYakov

There are many places in the West/Northwest where cell phones and GPS will not work. I did survey work back in the mid/late 90's in northern New Mexico/southern Colorado and in heavily forested areas getting GPS signal and keeping it was extremely difficult. Yes, I know technology upgrades since. Cell phones didn't even work, there were none back then, no towers. They work up there in spots now. No reason for phone companies to put a cell phone tower in the middle of a wilderness. A brave young lady and kudos to her for keeping cool and getting herself out.

. I guess they didn't want to be seen to compete with the GPS receiver market.

No. They don't want to drive up the cost, size and weight of the video camera by putting in the extra computer hardware.

Her GPS will have worked, it's probably how she knew where to go, but it won't transmit.

The one good thing is that they've narrowed down the search area.

No need for a GPS to walk out if you find a trail. Just head in the direction going down.

What a GPS "could" have done ... if indeed she had one, and knew how to use it ... was pinpoint the location of the crashed plane so authorities could quickly find it.

There are many places in the West/Northwest where cell phones and GPS will not work. I did survey work back in the mid/late 90's in northern New Mexico/southern Colorado and in heavily forested areas getting GPS signal and keeping it was extremely difficult. Yes, I know technology upgrades since. Cell phones didn't even work, there were none back then, no towers. They work up there in spots now. No reason for phone companies to put a cell phone tower in the middle of a wilderness. A brave young lady and kudos to her for keeping cool and getting herself out.

This isn't the 90s, modern smartphone phone GPS works very well under almost all conditions.

In buildings and in heavy forest.

Doesn't need phone tower, just needs satellites in the sky.

Also saves plots of your position ready to upload to google when it does get wifi or phone signals.

Only teenage girl in the western world without the latest smartphone!

This isn't the 90s, modern smartphone phone GPS works very well under almost all conditions.

Also saves plots of your position ready to upload to google when it does get wifi or phone signals.

Kind of thick, aren't you?

Where are the maps coming from if no cellular data signal?

If she had an app to do so, she might have saved the wreck coordinates, but the phone would have been useless to guide her out.

Buy a clue.

If she had an app to do so, she might have saved the wreck coordinates, but the phone would have been useless to guide her out.

Buy a clue.

I don't know about you but I have an entire map of Thailand saved in my phone.

If I were to get lost in the jungle, I think I'd be able to find my way out without mobile signal.

A lot of this stuff comes preinstalled now.

Huh? She didn't get lost. She walked down the mountain...then found and followed a trail that lead her to a highway. Pretty sensible and straight forward. I don't see any "wandering around in circles" in the report.

Buy a clue.

If I were to get lost in the jungle, I think I'd be able to find my way out without mobile signal.

Sure you do.

Sure you would. Please try, then get back to us.

Sure it does.

OK ... you have an offline map of Thailand in your phone. How do you work out where you are on that map without a GPS signal? Start looking around for a big sign saying "You are here"?

You may as well use your head like the girl did and just start walking till you find a creek, river or trail ...then follow it. They usually lead to some kind of civilization.

Edited by Fullstop

OK ... you have an offline map of Thailand in your phone. How do you work out where you are on that map without a GPS signal? Start looking around for a big sign saying "You are here"?

You may as well use your head like the girl did and just start walking till you find a creek, river or trail ...then follow it. They usually lead to some kind of civilization.

Can I ask you and TheKnave:

You do know how GPS works, right?

Big satellites in the sky?

She wasn't stuck in a mine you know.

biggrin.png

Can I ask you and TheKnave:

You do know how GPS works, right?

Big satellites in the sky?

She wasn't stuck in a mine you know.

biggrin.png

Is there something difficult to understand about the phrase "WITHOUT (A) MOBILE SIGNAL? Would you like me to break it down and explain each of the quoted words in depth?

We're talking about a normal GPS equipped cell phone here. Not a satellite phone.

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Edited by Fullstop

Is there something difficult to understand about the phrase "WITHOUT (A) MOBILE SIGNAL? Would you like me to break it down and explain each of the quoted words in depth?

Where did you get the idea that a Smartphone with GPS capability and offline maps needs a Mobile Signal?

What for, exactly?

You don't seem to understand what GPS even stands for.

coffee1.gif

Where did you get the idea that a Smartphone with GPS capability and offline maps needs a Mobile Signal?

What for, exactly?

You don't seem to understand what GPS even stands for.

coffee1.gif

Err ...Unbelievable.

I guess that little blue arrow on the map showing your location is "offline" too.

Oh ..I get it. You're just pulling my leg right?

Phones can get location from cell towers quickly, but when no signal is available they position from the GPS satellites.

Did you and the Knave really not know that?

Oh my God! ... You're talking about expensive "Satellite phones" ... used by yachtsmen etc. Or possibly dedicated GPS devices (Hand held or installed in cars)

Download an offline map now (On your normal cell phone) ... turn off wifi and data ...open your offline map .... and if there is a little blue arrow showing you where you are on that offline map .... I'll give you 10, 000,000 Baht.

blink.png

EDIT: Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy 5. Turned off wifi and data .... no GPS. I wish I has an expensive satellite phone ... like a Navy Seal!! I think I-Phones have the function though. Too bad the girl didn't have an IPhone.

Edited by Fullstop

To save you continuing to make yourself look like a chump, read this link and then donate the 10 mill to a nice childrens charity, OK?

And I want to see the receipt.

violin.gif

Dedicated GPS devices are going the way of the dodo, and for good reason. That smartphone or tablet you have can be a capable GPS with turn-by-turn navigation. This works even if you don’t have a data connection.

http://www.howtogeek.com/182965/how-to-get-navigation-directions-even-offline-without-buying-a-gps/

Edited by Chicog

Phones can get location from cell towers quickly, but when no signal is available they position from the GPS satellites.

Did you and the Knave really not know that?

Oh my God! ... You're talking about expensive "Satellite phones" ... used by yachtsmen etc. Or possibly dedicated GPS devices (Hand held or installed in cars)

Download an offline map now (On your normal cell phone) ... turn off wifi and data ...open your offline map .... and if there is a little blue arrow showing you where you are on that offline map .... I'll give you 10, 000,000 Baht.

blink.png

EDIT: Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy 5. Turned off wifi and data .... no GPS. I wish I has an expensive satellite phone ... like a Navy Seal!! I think I-Phones have the function though. Too bad the girl didn't have an IPhone.

By the way, GPS generally won't work indoors - it needs to see the satellites.

thumbsup.gif

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androits.gps.test.free

Do you need a professional instrument to test and view your GPS position? Try it!!!

New improvement will be available soon.

IMPORTANT: go outdoors to detect the GPS satellites!

Be happy, you learned something new today, and that is a good thing.

I'd recommend you download the Here application from the Play Store, it will let you download the whole Thailand map to your phone. (Added: Free - 462Mb).

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog