State Of Emergency In Thailand

Mobi

Thaksin's son, Panthongtae, is believed to have left on a flight to Singapore along with Khunying Potjaman and Minister of the PM's Office Newin Chidchob at 9pm last night.

Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai and Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkol were all in New York with Mr Thaksin, whose speech to the UN General Assembly tomorrow should be interesting. A caretaker prime minister who no longer has a country to take care of.

Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan and Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak are currently in France, and likely to postpone their return.

The source for this is the Bangkok Post.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here 3 weeks and i see the first coup d'eìtat in my entire life. should have stayed in vietnam where its safe.

actually its the people getting pissed off and start rioting that Im worried about. there might be robberies, rapes...hel_l break loose

I'm out of the country on as business trip, but I just talked to my wife in Chaiyaphum and it sounds like people are planning pro-thaksin protests already. I don't think the military will allow this though.

According to a couple of generals I spoke with this evening and a minor royal, starting tomorrow (or very soon thereafter), there will be wave after wave of press reports citing evidence of corruption and unconstitutional behavior by the government, in an effort to take any starch out of any counter coup attempts.

I was near by when the first CNN and BBC announcements came on the air, so after reading what little info I could on the web, I went and checked it out. From what I could see and talking with a few of the soldiers a bit, little was actually happening. In fact, you'd think seeing a bunch of armed soldiers, tanks and hummers blocking roadways would be a rather exciting spectacle, but for a supposed "coup" it was a very dull sight indeed... though it made for some interesting photos.

My guess is it is merely a stunt to get international media attention spotlighted on Thaksin while he's at the UN, just before he's meant to give his address. The real shame is that this (on top of tightening of visa regulations) really has the potential to hurt tourism - and right as Suvarnabhumi is coming online. With Tourism being so key to Thailand's economy, it would have been nice to have a little positive media about the new airport .... but alas, we have tanks instead. I don't think this spotlight is going to show Thaksin in a very favorable light.

Let's hope this comes to a peaceful close in the next few days.

I was near by when the first CNN and BBC announcements came on the air, so after reading what little info I could on the web, I went and checked it out. From what I could see and talking with a few of the soldiers a bit, little was actually happening. In fact, you'd think seeing a bunch of armed soldiers, tanks and hummers blocking roadways would be a rather exciting spectacle, but for a supposed "coup" it was a very dull sight indeed... though it made for some interesting photos.

My guess is it is merely a stunt to get international media attention spotlighted on Thaksin while he's at the UN, just before he's meant to give his address. The real shame is that this (on top of tightening of visa regulations) really has the potential to hurt tourism - and right as Suvarnabhumi is coming online. With Tourism being so key to Thailand's economy, it would have been nice to have a little positive media about the new airport .... but alas, we have tanks instead. I don't think this spotlight is going to show Thaksin in a very favorable light.

This has been talked about since December last year.

It was a matter of time - Everybody (Thai) expected it to happen in October as there was liable to be bloodshed as per 1992, 1971 & 1973.

I have had so much info over this today from Thais that they are so happy that there is no violence, murder, death and confusion.

It is is not just an army thing - the air force and navy are involved.

Talk to your neighbours in the morning and ask them.

Frankly I am happy that the this crook will have to live in another country and have his "unusual wealth" investigated -it may take five years, but pay back- wow - that's life sonny boy.

Farangs have to abide with Thai law and tax law - well so does boxhead under international law.

Thais will dancing in the streets in a day or two - for sure.

Cheers to the Military,we owe you one,

Couthy.

I hope it is over soon too for eveyones safety. I am looking forward to seeing my wife the end of the month. Its been three months here and I am tired of getting mortared myself.... I need some quality time with her...

?????????

stop taking the mushrooms?

COUP D'ETAT IN THAILAND

by Bangkokpost.com

The army commander Gen Sonthi Boonyarataglin staged a coup d'etat Tuesday evening (Thailand time) and ousted the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A so-called "Democratic Reform Council" declared itself in control and declared martial law nationwide. Terse announcements said it included the commanders of all three armed forces and the police. It said the coup was necessary to correct "unprecedented division in the country."

The Council said there seemed to be widespread corruption, and independent agenies were subverted by politicians, apparently a reference to the Thaksin government. "The national government through the current administration has caused conflicts and undermined the harmony of the people as never before in history."

Public acceptance remained unknown. The coup occurred late Tuesday night, when Bangkok was under a major rainstorm, and few people were seen on the streets.

The opposition had scheduled a major anti-Thaksin rally for Wednesday. The last military coup, in 1991, was extremely unpopular and was overthrown by violent opposition in the streets.

Officers this time promised to hold power for as short a time as possible. An announcement over the name of Gen Sonthi, a Special Forces veteran long seen as apolitical, promised: "The council is steadfast in its objective, which is not to take over the government permanently and it will hand back the power to the people as soon as possible."

The Council repealed the 1997 "people's constitution" and dissolved both houses of parliament, the government and the constitution court. Announcements said the Council was under the King, and confirmed that the Privy Council and all courts except the Constitution Court remained in power.

(NOTE: Texts of the first three official announcements are at the end of this story)

Retired Gen Surayudh Chulanont, a respected former military commander now a member of the royal Privy Council, was announced as prime minister to replace Mr Thaksin. There was no early word how log the generals intended to remain in power, or what their reforms would be.

Mr Thaksin was in New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly, and had earlier tried to dismiss Gen Sonthi and order troops back to their barracks. His order, via a voice broadcast on TV and radio, was cut off halfway as the dramatic coup unfolded.

Tanks and troops of the Fourth Cavalry Battalion moved into strategic points in Bangkok, including the Royal Plaza.

Like most of the previous 19 military coups since 1932, there was no violence. Tanks surrounded Government House and apparently some newspaper offices. All broadcasting on local TV was interrupted, and replaced by a notice which stated the military takeover and apologised "for any inconvenience."

In the early hours of the coup, most other communications continued uninterrupted. But after several hours, all cable-TV broadcasts were cut, apparently because Mr Thaksin and other Thai ministers were giving interviews to CNN and the BBC, which are widely seen in Bangkok.

Thailand airports remained open, including the main international airport at Bangkok.

Thailand websites including the Bangkok Post were operating under very heavy loads as people tried to find out what was happening. The Bangkok Post newspaper was being prepared and printed for Wednesday morning. The front page headline was a huge, black and capitalised statement:

COUP D'ETAT

As always, local broadcast media contained no breaking updates.

Mr Thaksin said he would return to Thailand from New York. The shadowy coup administrators said he would not be allowed to resume his post as prime minister.

Sources told the Bangkok Post that Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulananonda had tried and failed to mediate between the coup forces and another army faction loyal to Mr Thaksin. Gen Prem was summoned to the Royal Palace.

The whereabouts of most of the members the government were unknown. Mr Thaksin, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai and Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkol were in New York. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Wannasathit, the caretaker premier, was reportedly detained by the military.

Text of Official announcements:

Announcements:

The national government through the current administration has caused conflicts and undermined the harmony of the people as never before in history.

Each side is determined to win by any means and the discord has shown a tendency to escalate.

Many people have been suspicious about the actions of the national administration under a constitutional monarchy.

The country has been governed in a way as to suggest widespread corruption. The independent agencies have been dominated by politics. The constitutional intention has been left unserved.

This has led to political activities becoming problem-plagued on many fronts and the situation had worsened to the point where violations against His Majesty the King, whom the people hold in the highest regard, are in danger of occurring. This is despite efforts by many sections of society to resolve the problem on a continued basis. The efforts have not pacified the growing tension, however. For this reason, the Democratic Reform Council with the monarch as its head, which comprises the armed forces leaders and chief of the Royal Thai Police Office, has found it imperative to seize the power of government from this point onward. The council is steadfast in its objective, which is not to take over the government permanently and it will hand back the power to the people as soon as possible.

The council is committed to preserving national peace and security and to upholding the monarchy whom we Thais hold in the highest respect.

First coup announcement:

In reference to the council's announcement of its power seizure earlier, for the sake of peace and order to prevail in the country, the council has imposed nationwide martial law. The council has repealed the state of emergency declared on Sept 19 at 9.05pm. This announcement is made by Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, head of the Democratic Reform Council.

Second coup announcement:

The council has ordered that all mobilisation and movement of military logistics and manpower be prohibited. Military personnel are absolutely not to leave their units without permission from the council.

Third coup announcement:

1. The current constitution, drafted in 1997, is now repealed.

2. The House of Representatives, the Senate, the Cabinet and the Constitution Court are now dissolved along with the abrogation of the constitution.

3. The privy councillors will remain in their duty.

4. The courts of justice, except the Constitution Court, will retain their full power to adjudicate cases according to the law and the announcements of the council.

Update time: 02:20 am Wednesday September 2006 Thailand time.

been here 3 weeks and i see the first coup d'eìtat in my entire life. should have stayed in vietnam where its safe.

actually its the people getting pissed off and start rioting that Im worried about. there might be robberies, rapes...hel_l break loose

I feel much better now. thanks.

Let's keep positive?

My guess is it is merely a stunt to get international media attention spotlighted on Thaksin while he's at the UN, just before he's meant to give his address.

Well, that's rather an audacious view !

For a stunt, looks like a big one : constitution abolished, institutions dissolved...

(Int Herald Tribune)

Military seizes power in Thailand

By Seth Mydans and Thomas Fuller International Herald Tribune

Published: September 19, 2006

BANGKOK In Thailand's first military coup in 15 years, a faction of the armed forces seized control of the capital on Tuesday night, suspended the Constitution and declared martial law, effective immediately.

The moves came while Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was in New York preparing to address the United Nations.

Late on a rainy night, tanks and armored personnel carriers blocked the entrance to the prime minister's office. Other tanks took up positions at government offices and major intersections. Witnesses reported that roadblocks had been set up around Bangkok.

On a military controlled television station, a general in civilian clothes said a "council of administrative reform" including the military and the police had seized power in the name of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The general said the military did not intend to rule the country and would "hand power back to the people," but he gave no timetable.

The television announcements were made in the name of the army's commander in chief, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, who has publicly feuded with the prime minister.

The spokesman accused Thaksin of corruption, lèse-majesté and constant interference with the legislature and the courts. He apologized to the public for any inconvenience caused by the coup.

The announcement came shortly after Thaksin, in a television broadcast from New York, declared a state of emergency and fired Sonthi.

But that broadcast was cut off before it was completed and Sonthi revoked the state of emergency. Soon after that he announced his own declaration of martial law.

The military's move came at the height of a political crisis in which Thaksin had been forced to step aside in April by huge street demonstrations.

In an effort to reassert control, he called a snap election in April, which was boycotted by the opposition and which he won in a landslide. A court then annulled the result.

An election commission loyal to Thaksin set a new vote for Oct. 15 but its members were removed and jailed by a court for malfeasance and a new commission has said that election would be delayed. That delay was seen as a setback for Thaksin.

Thaksin is one of the most popular - and unpopular - prime ministers in recent Thai history. The different points of view point to a sharp social divide that he has played on during the crisis.

Thaksin's party, Thai Rak Thai, has won three elections by landslides, in 2001, 2005 and again in April because of broad support among rural voters who have been the targets of his populist policies. He was widely expected to win any new election.

But opposition to him has swelled among the elite, mostly in Bangkok. Public indignation was heightened by his family's tax-free sale of its $1.9 billion stake in a giant telecommunications company to a Singapore company.

Tuesday's televised announcement came after reports of large-scale military movements around the capital. The military has been sharply divided between officers loyal to the prime minister - some of them his relatives - and those who oppose him.

There has been tension over an impending military shuffle that would determine which officers were moved into commanding positions.

Meanwhile, the military spokesman, General Prapas Sakultanak, laid out the rationale for the military's move.

"The government's performance destroyed harmony in society," he said. "Everyone tried to win over each other and the situation continued to worsen. Most people don't trust the government because there are many signs of corruption."

He said the prime minister had hobbled independent bodies created by the 1997 Constitution to provide checks and balances. A leading demand of the prime minister's opponents is the writing of a new Constitution that would temper executive power.

Prapas said that, in the name of Sonthi, he had ordered all troops to report to their units. "Do not make any move without orders from the Party for the Reform of Governance under the Democratic System through the Constitutional Monarchy," he told the troops.

In a later announcement the spokesman said that the 1997 Constitution "has been terminated," along with both houses of Parliament, the cabinet and the Constitutional Court.

U.S. urges peaceful solution

The White House on Tuesday urged a peaceful and democratic resolution to the political situation in Thailand, where the military has attempted a coup, Reuters reported from New York.

Frederick Jones, the spokesman for the National Security Council, said: "We have seen various reports of military movements as well as a reported declaration of a statement of emergency in Bangkok by Prime Minister Thaksin. We are monitoring developments closely but the situation at the moment is unclear.

"We look to the Thai people to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner and in accord with the principles of democracy and rule of law."

At the United Nations, Thailand's government spokesman said Tuesday that the coup could not succeed.

"We have known about the situation since this morning New York time," Surapong Suebwonglee said. "We think at this moment no one can accept the coup attempt because democracy in Thailand has developed to some maturity."

Thaksin's speech to the UN General Assembly was brought forward to Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. after the coup got under way. He had been due to speak Wednesday afternoon.

The American ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, said Washington was aware of reports of a coup attempt "and for now, the important thing is to look for the sustaining of the constitution process."

But he said that more information was needed and that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was contacting Ralph Boyce, the U.S. ambassador in Thailand.

"But the importance of adhering to constitutional principles is important," Bolton added.

BANGKOK In Thailand's first military coup in 15 years, a faction of the armed forces seized control of the capital on Tuesday night, suspended the Constitution and declared martial law, effective immediately.

The moves came while Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was in New York preparing to address the United Nations.

Late on a rainy night, tanks and armored personnel carriers blocked the entrance to the prime minister's office. Other tanks took up positions at government offices and major intersections. Witnesses reported that roadblocks had been set up around Bangkok.

On a military controlled television station, a general in civilian clothes said a "council of administrative reform" including the military and the police had seized power in the name of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The general said the military did not intend to rule the country and would "hand power back to the people," but he gave no timetable.

The television announcements were made in the name of the army's commander in chief, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, who has publicly feuded with the prime minister.

The spokesman accused Thaksin of corruption, lèse-majesté and constant interference with the legislature and the courts. He apologized to the public for any inconvenience caused by the coup.

The announcement came shortly after Thaksin, in a television broadcast from New York, declared a state of emergency and fired Sonthi.

But that broadcast was cut off before it was completed and Sonthi revoked the state of emergency. Soon after that he announced his own declaration of martial law.

The military's move came at the height of a political crisis in which Thaksin had been forced to step aside in April by huge street demonstrations.

In an effort to reassert control, he called a snap election in April, which was boycotted by the opposition and which he won in a landslide. A court then annulled the result.

An election commission loyal to Thaksin set a new vote for Oct. 15 but its members were removed and jailed by a court for malfeasance and a new commission has said that election would be delayed. That delay was seen as a setback for Thaksin.

Thaksin is one of the most popular - and unpopular - prime ministers in recent Thai history. The different points of view point to a sharp social divide that he has played on during the crisis.

Thaksin's party, Thai Rak Thai, has won three elections by landslides, in 2001, 2005 and again in April because of broad support among rural voters who have been the targets of his populist policies. He was widely expected to win any new election.

But opposition to him has swelled among the elite, mostly in Bangkok. Public indignation was heightened by his family's tax-free sale of its $1.9 billion stake in a giant telecommunications company to a Singapore company.

Tuesday's televised announcement came after reports of large-scale military movements around the capital. The military has been sharply divided between officers loyal to the prime minister - some of them his relatives - and those who oppose him.

There has been tension over an impending military shuffle that would determine which officers were moved into commanding positions.

Meanwhile, the military spokesman, General Prapas Sakultanak, laid out the rationale for the military's move.

"The government's performance destroyed harmony in society," he said. "Everyone tried to win over each other and the situation continued to worsen. Most people don't trust the government because there are many signs of corruption."

He said the prime minister had hobbled independent bodies created by the 1997 Constitution to provide checks and balances. A leading demand of the prime minister's opponents is the writing of a new Constitution that would temper executive power.

Prapas said that, in the name of Sonthi, he had ordered all troops to report to their units. "Do not make any move without orders from the Party for the Reform of Governance under the Democratic System through the Constitutional Monarchy," he told the troops.

In a later announcement the spokesman said that the 1997 Constitution "has been terminated," along with both houses of Parliament, the cabinet and the Constitutional Court.

U.S. urges peaceful solution

The White House on Tuesday urged a peaceful and democratic resolution to the political situation in Thailand, where the military has attempted a coup, Reuters reported from New York.

Frederick Jones, the spokesman for the National Security Council, said: "We have seen various reports of military movements as well as a reported declaration of a statement of emergency in Bangkok by Prime Minister Thaksin. We are monitoring developments closely but the situation at the moment is unclear.

"We look to the Thai people to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner and in accord with the principles of democracy and rule of law."

At the United Nations, Thailand's government spokesman said Tuesday that the coup could not succeed.

"We have known about the situation since this morning New York time," Surapong Suebwonglee said. "We think at this moment no one can accept the coup attempt because democracy in Thailand has developed to some maturity."

Thaksin's speech to the UN General Assembly was brought forward to Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. after the coup got under way. He had been due to speak Wednesday afternoon.

The American ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, said Washington was aware of reports of a coup attempt "and for now, the important thing is to look for the sustaining of the constitution process."

But he said that more information was needed and that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was contacting Ralph Boyce, the U.S. ambassador in Thailand.

"But the importance of adhering to constitutional principles is important," Bolton added.

Think this bullshit as i here now and only lady boys on the beach.

Some of them are more dangerous than the army!!! :o

(Sorry - just couldn't resist it! I know it's not really a laughing matter)

My guess is it is merely a stunt to get international media attention spotlighted on Thaksin while he's at the UN, just before he's meant to give his address.

Well, that's rather an audacious view !

For a stunt, looks like a big one : constitution abolished, institutions dissolved...

Oh I agree, the 'fakey' car bomb plot didn't work so he's going all out. It's all for the media.

This'll be over in no time.

It is fairly common knowledge that Thailand has but a single connection to the global internet: expats in Thailand learn that everytime "the Internet gores down". So the plotters can easily shut off outside Internet access.

But what of Internet access *within* Thailand? How long can this coup last when the email networks kick in and people begin organizing opposition to this extra-democratic regime change?

As unpopular as Toxin was/is, I should expect every right-thinking Thai patriot to oppose such a blatant power grab. Wasn't that era passed and far behind us?

From the BBC

Thai PM 'overthrown in army coup'

Tanks took up positions outside Government House

Tanks in Bangkok

A faction of the Thai military led by the army chief says it has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Tanks surrounded the prime minister's offices and soldiers took them over, though it seems no shots were fired.

After announcing they had suspended parliament and the constitution, coup leaders went to meet the king.

A spokesman for Mr Thaksin, who is at the UN in New York, insisted the coup "could not succeed", and that the government was still in control.

The spokesman said it had not been decided when the prime minister would return home from the UN.

However, in a broadcast on all Thai television channels the leadership of the armed forces said it had taken control of Bangkok, suspended the constitution and parliament, declared nationwide martial law and ordered all troops to return to their bases.

"We ask for the co-operation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience," the announcement said.

Retired Lieutenant-General Prapart Sakuntanak said the seizure would be temporary and power "returned to the people" soon.

Declaring themselves the "Council of Political Reform", the rebels said they were led by sacked military commander General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and declared loyalty to the king.

However, the BBC's Kate McGeown in Bangkok says King Bhumibol is held in high esteem by all Thais, and the declaration of loyalty does not necessarily imply that he backs the takeover attempt.

Our correspondent says low-level rumours of a possible coup have been circulating for weeks.

There has been pressure growing on the prime minister to resign, including from groups close to King Bhumibol, following a political impasse in which April's general election was declared invalid, says the BBC's correspondent Jonathan Head in Bangkok.

But it had been thought that Thailand was making progress towards holding another election later in the year, our correspondent says.

Witnesses said several hundred troops were posted at key points around Bangkok, including at government installations and major intersections.

The streets in Bangkok were quiet on Tuesday night, our correspondent in the city says. People were calm for the most part, curious about what was going on, but some said they were scared.

Traffic moved through the streets normally and in the bars of the city centre foreign tourists seemed oblivious to what was going on.

One soldier on a tank said: "We don't know why we're here, we've been told to say nothing. We're just following orders."

Troops and guys dressed in Swat-style gear are strolling around

Russell Miles emailed the BBC News website to say there were troops "dressed in Swat-style gear strolling around" near Government House, and "a tense, but fairly controlled atmosphere".

He said: "We saw a group of blokes bundling a cameraman and another chap into a van. We are taking photos, but not out in the open."

BBC World, CNN and other international news channels were taken off the air, and Thai stations played out images of the royal family and patriotic songs.

The EU's Finnish presidency expressed "grave concern" at events, and the US called on Thais "to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner".

It is the first coup attempt in 15 years in a country where they used to be commonplace.

At the United Nations, where the annual General Assembly is under way, it was announced that the agenda had been changed to allow Mr Thaksin to address it in the coming hours. :o

http://dl.tvunetworks.com/TVUPlayer.zip

Have installed this programme....

Channel 10100 CNN is running updates every 10-20 minutes about the coup.. this seems quite a good source.

Never been able to work out how to get the channels to play in this software, any advice, please?

had problems at first too....

it is fairly simple though, install and click on the channel you want (10100 is good) wait a bit (depends on your connection speed I guess) and it'll play for you.