Mobi

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Troops arrive at CAT - 01:35, September 20, 2006

Sources say troops are at the Communications Authority of Thailand. This means the military can turn off mobile phones and the internet if necessary.

No PM: Fourth degree from the military being read on TV - 01:26, September 20, 2006

The fourth decree by the military has been read. It seems to say there will be no new PM. Power will be in the "leader of the reform" (Commander-in-Chief Sondhi). There will be no ministers. Their power will be in the deputy chief of each ministry (we believe this means the permanent minister). They stress it will still be a democracy under the King.

Has there been any halting of inbound flights to Bangkok? Anybody know?

Suppose to be in Bangkok end of next week. Hope all are safe. I spoke to my wife around 2330 and was able to get through on her cellphone from Iraq of all places.

Thanks to all for the updates. Is THAIVISA in Thailand?

There was a newscaster announcement on UBC channels 1 to 9 a little while ago but my Thai wasnt up to it....did anyone catch the drift?

No PM: Fourth degree from the military being read on TV - 01:26, September 20, 2006

The fourth decree by the military has been read. It seems to say there will be no new PM. Power will be in the "leader of the reform" (Commander-in-Chief Sondhi). There will be no ministers. Their power will be in the deputy chief of each ministry (we believe this means the permanent minister). They stress it will still be a democracy under the King.

Deputy PM detained.

COUP D'ETAT IN THAILAND

by Bangkokpost.com

The army commander Gen Sonthi Boonyarataglin staged a coup d'etat Tuesday evening (Thailand time) and ousted the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A so-called "Democratic Reform Council" declared itself in control. Terse announcements said it included the commanders of all three armed forces and the police. It said the coup was necessary to correct "unprecedented division in the country."

Retired Gen Surayudh Chulanont, a respected former military commander now a member of the royal Privy Council, was announced as prime minister to replace Mr Thaksin. There was no early word how log the generals intended to remain in power, or what their reforms would be.

Mr Thaksin was in New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly, and had earlier tried to dismiss Gen Sonthi and order troops back to their barracks. His order, via a voice broadcast on TV and radio, was cut off halfway as the dramatic coup unfolded.

Tanks and troops of the Fourth Cavalry Battalion moved into strategic points in Bangkok, including the Royal Plaza.

Like most of the previous 19 military coups since 1932, there was no violence. Tanks surrounded Government House and apparently some newspaper offices. All broadcasting on local TV was interrupted, and replaced by a notice which stated the military takeover and apologised "for any inconvenience."

In the early hours of the coup, most other communications continued uninterrupted. But after several hours, all cable-TV broadcasts were cut, apparently because Mr Thaksin and other Thai ministers were giving interviews to CNN and the BBC, which are widely seen in Bangkok.

Thailand airports remained open, including the main international airport at Bangkok.

Thailand websites including the Bangkok Post were operating under very heavy loads as people tried to find out what was happening. The Bangkok Post newspaper was being prepared and printed for Wednesday morning. The front page headline was a huge, black and capitalised statement:

COUP D'ETAT

As always, local broadcast media contained no breaking updates.

Mr Thaksin said he would return to Thailand from New York. The shadowy coup administrators said he would not be allowed to resume his post as prime minister.

Sources told the Bangkok Post that Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulananonda had tried and failed to mediate between the coup forces and another army faction loyal to Mr Thaksin. Gen Prem was summoned to the Royal Palace.

The whereabouts of most of the members the government were unknown. Mr Thaksin, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai and Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkol were in New York. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Wannasathit, the caretaker premier, was reportedly detained by the military.

Update time: 01:30 am Wednesday September 2006 Thailand time.

from 2bangkok.com ....

Papa Prem Arroving the Coup by Gen Sondhi

TV Pool Made annoucement of th coup at 11 PM of Spet 19 ... with official announcemmebnt by the Veteran Cou pSpeaker at 11:15 PM

Now, the fences are erected at Sri Ayutthaya road and Ratchadambnoen Nok avenue ... ewven thogyh many people have taken a photograph of the tanks at Equistarian Plaza

Army has seized the control at Shinnawatra Building, ITV and Chansong Lah palace.

More than 60 soldiers from the 6th Anti Aircraft Battalion in GMC trucks and AA tanks haved seized Thai COm Sattelite Station at Kae Rai

Chidchai and Ruengroj are gogin to make counter coup ... by seizing chaeng watthana road ...

Now, 2 tanks, 6 HUMVEEs and 300 soldiers from the 1st Division (Royal Guard) are seizing Nang Loeng Intersection

10;10 PM 3 tanks from th 4th cavalry battalion ()Royakl guardd) and 20 calvarymen are guarding Papa prem hosue at Thewet

Guys,

who can explain me, why the hel_l News channels have been banned including CNN & BBC ? This is not a comunist state, isn't it? This upsets me most.

Who has the authrority to do so? What do they think Thai people will say?

Vlad

They do it this way, preventing Thaksin from getting airtime at the other end and confusing the population here.

Thaksin's speech is a 23:00 GMT, what time is that in BKK?

Latest advice from British Foreign Office

If you are currently in Bangkok, you should stay put and avoid moving around the city. If you intend to travel to, or are currently in Bangkok, you should monitor all available information on the local situation and keep in contact with your tour operator. You should also avoid any demonstrations and large crowds. Movements around government buildings and in public may be restricted until the situation becomes clearer.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

Thai coup: One night in Bangkok

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

BANGKOK: An hour after news broke that tanks had rolled into the capital in a military takeover and television stations being seized, I had my first taste of a coup d’etat.

At The Nation office in the suburb of Bangna, 20 minutes from here, a group of heavily armed soldiers turned up at the newspaper office, where I am based as The Star correspondent.

They were there to "secure the newspaper building" where more drastic actions had been taken including taking control of seven Thai television and radio stations.

A journalist from the newspaper, which has been known for its hard-hitting articles against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, appeared unperturbed by the political drama unfolding in the capital.

"They are just friendly forces, who told us that they have come to protect us," he said, as his colleagues watched closely the movement of the men in green fatigue who stood guard at various spots in the six-storey building.

Outside The Nation building, I saw Thai soldiers carrying M-16 assault rifles with yellow ribbon tied to the barrel. The soldiers were friendly and spoke to the journalists outside the office.

My 28-year-old building manager, Supitch Buaseng, called me to warn that "the soldiers have taken over. Please don’t go out of the apartment."

Just earlier, the News Editor had despatched the reporters to various parts of the capital as word went out that the anti-Thaksin military faction had taken control of the city with tanks stationed at the Rachadamnoen Road and the Royal Plaza, close to the Royal Palace and government offices.

Soldiers were also seen patrolling at the Erawan Hotel, a major tourist area near the famed Four-Faced Buddha, while more soldiers were seen at major intersections.

The talk at the newsroom was that there could be a possible clash between rival camps in the army.

There was also talk that Deputy Prime Minister Chitchai Wannasathit and Defence Minister Thammarak Isaragura na Ayuthaya – two close loyalists of Thaksin – had been arrested.

The fate of Thaksin, who is now in New York for the United Nations general assembly, hangs in the balance.

But even as the international news network reported news of the coup, ordinary Bangkok city folk and tourists appeared unaware that a coup was in progress.

Foreigners were still seen packing bars and clubs, oblivious to what was taking place but some hawkers and traders were seen closing their stalls earlier than usual, apparently worried by the uncertainties ahead.

At 11pm, the main tourist spots of Sukhumvit, Silom and Rachada were busy as usual. Most Thais found out about the coup through the television.

Ruangkhao Chanchai, a 25-year-old investment banker, said she was watching Kofi Annan giving a speech in New York on CNN at 10.20pm.

"Suddenly I saw a breaking news announcement that said troops were moving into Bangkok," she said.

"I turned to the Thai television channels but there was no ‘live’ news on what was happening. I’m shocked. I don’t know what is going on. All I know is that the Prime Minister has declared a state of emergency," Ruangkhao added.

By 11pm, Thai television channels announced that the anti-Thaksin military faction had taken over.

Army-owned Channel 15 interrupted regular broadcasts with patriotic music and pictures of the King.

A Malaysian, who stayed at Chaophya Park Hotel near the international airport, said the CNN transmission at the hotel seemed to "have been jammed".

At 2am, The Nation was informed by the Thai military that all telecommunication and internet connections in the country would be shut down in two hours’ time.

For now, many Thais appeared thankful that the coup, the first military intervention in Thai politics since 1992, had been a bloodless one although many were unsure what would take place over the next 24 hours.

More on the Thai coup from our ANN partner The Nation

I've just left Kata/Karon... no sign of tanks, no sign of coppers, no sign of anything much.

I've got BBC on cable, were struggling to get an international line and my sister is reporting that she cant even SMS outside of thailand.