Forced to return to home country - what would you do?

simon43

Think i would rather live in a cardboard box than return to australia. I could think of nothing worse than having to return there.

Yes, Australia is horrible place. Police state that caters for Gold Digging woman. Sell...

Trouble is she would take the biggest half of the cardboard box if she could.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems many have travelled and taken in many experiences in may countries around the world and see Thai/SE Asia as the pick of it.

In the end i've seen more of SE Asia and Europe than i have of home,Australia.

I think in later years of life it would be great to see more of it,"grey nomad" style.

Just a matter of getting in a car/caravan or motor home and taking off. No airports,planes,taxis,hotels,bugs from different climates and environments etc etc which are a breeze with a fit and healthy body.

Even living somewhere different to where you grew up and taking the time to take a good look around if you can. eg for me WA,i've seen very little of.

I don't see it as all doom and gloom.

Have you been reading my "Bucket List" ?

hi i have an oa visa been here only 4 months and am learning so much ,what strikes me is is how can western guys fall head over heels with some thai bird and invest everything in her name then 50% lose everything ,me no way in chaing mai where i live i have met so many oldies like myself ,who lost a great deal ,

you have learnt so much in such a short space of time?......not 50% but more like 100%

It seems many have travelled and taken in many experiences in may countries around the world and see Thai/SE Asia as the pick of it.

I think in later years of life it would be great to see more of it,"grey nomad" style.

Just a matter of getting in a car/caravan or motor home and taking off. No airports,planes,taxis,hotels,bugs from different climates and environments etc etc which are a breeze with a fit and healthy body.

Even living somewhere different to where you grew up and taking the time to take a good look around if you can. eg for me WA,i've seen very little of.

Hot,dirty and the culture(if any) is boring,as is the conversation,sorry you guys are welcome to it!

I don't know why people are so afraid to return to their home countries. Your home country is not going to bite you if you return(unless you have some sort of serious legal problem).

Because my home country don't belong to my home people any more....sad.png

^ are you an Indian,by any chance? lol

335HomelandSecurityGeronimo_sBandFly_188

hi i have an oa visa been here only 4 months and am learning so much ,what strikes me is is how can western guys fall head over heels with some thai bird and invest everything in her name then 50% lose everything ,me no way in chaing mai where i live i have met so many oldies like myself ,who lost a great deal ,

I would rather invest my money (and maybe lose it) in Thailand than in Europe.

Hot,dirty and the culture(if any) is boring,as is the conversation,sorry you guys are welcome to it!

"Hot,dirty and the culture(if any) is boring,as is the conversation,sorry you guys are welcome to it!"

Hot and dirty! Where have you spent the last 3 months? Serious question.

I'd simply go home, live in the present and not look back. Enjoy seeing friends and family and spending time with my wonderful wife and daughter taking trips to the beautiful UK countryside. Get back into old hobbies, go to concerts, art exhibitions, museums, sporting events and all that sort of stuff. I'd enjoy the long summer nights and cold winter evenings...the list goes on. Sure, I dislike the UK government and I'm not a royalist, but the UK has its positives like Thailand, and also its negatives. There's lovely British people and horrible people, too, just like Thailand. There's stupid laws and sensible laws, just like Thailand. I'm far from a nationalist, more an activist in fact, but I still love the country I was born in.

Why are there so many expats slanging their home country,to me it is worse than Thai bashing.If they did not have the benefit of education and work then they would not be here,or any other country.I find them obnoxious,very quick to condemn Thai basher,but very slow to admit what their nanny states have given them.In my opinion you are worse and traitors to your heritage.

yeah it's kind of perverted isn't it. And the country they hold out as better - Thailand - of all places !

Perhaps it's due to their own self loathing and their struggle to confront their lifestyles in their own countries. But without the social and cultural pressure, Thailand allows them to come out of the closet.

Consequently, these people will only ever see faults in their own country and countrymen, and ignore all the compromises they must make living in thailand.

I consider the actions of my oz govt despicable on far too many occasions, both political parties are disgusting and I want no part of it and how they treat the citizens.

I have lived in a number of countries over the past 20 or so years and whilst there are good and bad points I find these other countries to be much more livable and much better quality of life.

I feel absolutely no loyalty to my original country, just as they wouldn't care about me, im sure the feeling is mutual and both the govt and me dont give a damn.

Tell me are you Australia or are you not but if your how are you living in thailand were do you get your money from hop not from Australia the country you are I think having a go at

I am Australian, i live and work in malaysia. No i do not receive any money from Australia, but I sure have paid a lot to the oz govt.

A trip to the 13th floor (or higher) might be in order for a quick exit.

Please pin a note to your shirt explaining it was your choice so the conspiracy theorists on TV don't go into a frenzy about it being an "assisted fall."

Why are there so many expats slanging their home country,to me it is worse than Thai bashing.If they did not have the benefit of education and work then they would not be here,or any other country.I find them obnoxious,very quick to condemn Thai basher,but very slow to admit what their nanny states have given them.In my opinion you are worse and traitors to your heritage.

Quite simple, these expats came here to escape the hardships of their home country, and going by TV posters, most of them are happy here.

I am not a traitor to the UK, as well as the hardships I have already described, it is only a matter of time before the Immigrants outnumber us

unless the government wakes up and does something about it, though I feel it's too late now.

The real traitors in the UK are Blair, Brown and "call me Dave" who just do not listen to the people and are only interested in lining their and there pals's pockets.

What an ingrate!

Look, I'll tell you what; let me know where we can meet up and I'll bring you all the forms you need to formally surrender your passport and renounce your status as a subject of the realm.

I'll even take them - and your passport, of course - with me when I go back to London and hand-deliver them to Her Majesty's Passport Office on your behalf.

Then you can take your chances with the Thais

I don't think it is slagging off their home countries, more to do with changing circumstances. I have empathy for those who see political correctness surpassing common sense.

As for the benefit of education and work.................

I am sure there are many like me who didn't go the college/university route. In my case, through choice, as I saw a huge world out there that needed looking at. I spent 23 years in the military doing just that, and believe me, any debt that I may have had to my country was fully paid during that time.

All my qualifications and knowledge, in this ever-changing part of my life, have been acquired without the help of my 'home country'; I am not stuck in the past but live for the future. Have always been like that and not planning to change in the near future.

As to being a traitor to my heritage, dream on and grow up a bit..............................wink.png

Took the words right out my mouth.

Always amazing when some ( r****d ) throws out the old traitor accusation.

Obviously you are from a priveledged upbringing,let me guess the Gorbals so you are on a higher plane than a serf like me,must be a Partick Thistle supporter.

Quite simple, these expats came here to escape the hardships of their home country, and going by TV posters, most of them are happy here.

I am not a traitor to the UK, as well as the hardships I have already described, it is only a matter of time before the Immigrants outnumber us

unless the government wakes up and does something about it, though I feel it's too late now.

Thir, Brown and "call me Dave" who just do not listen to the people and are only interested in lining their and there pals's pockets.e real traitors in the UK are Bla

What an ingrate!

Look, I'll tell you what; let me know where we can meet up and I'll bring you all the forms you need to formally surrender your passport and renounce your status as a subject of the realm.

I'll even take them - and your passport, of course - with me when I go back to London and hand-deliver them to Her Majesty's Passport Office on your behalf.

My chances are far better with the Thais than the thieving Brits in a country overcrowded with Immigrants.

Thir, Brown and "call me Dave" who just do not listen to the people and are only interested in lining their and there pals's pockets.e real traitors in the UK are Bla

What an ingrate!

My chances are far better with the Thais than the thieving Brits in a country overcrowded with Immigrants.
Some of my best friends in GerMONEY were immigrants, the thieves were arrogant Germans. Edited by micmichd

attachicon.gifAustralia nanny state_ Have we become a nation of idiots_.htmlyes coaster you are right it is hot and dirty here too but i like the life style and culture.

"yes coaster you are right it is hot and dirty here too but i like the life style and culture."

Ok,appreciate you backing down from that comment,i know not many would.

As for the culture here,i'm not too impressed with it.

Anyone that thinks making the right offerings then jumping on a MB with no helmet,possibly drunk and talking on the phone at the same time is going to bring them good luck...well!!

Lifestyle,yeah,love it.Big draw card here.

Scenery,landscapes too.

At the right time of the year places like..

West coast Phuket beaches.

Kao Yai

Phang Nga Bay-Krabi.

Phu Ruea

the North...are outstanding.

I spend a lot of time at out of the way places and really like what it has to offer here.

I would not slag my "home" country. But I have lived in Thailand since I was 19 and am now 52. In that time I have been back to the UK 3 times, the last time 15 years ago and that was for a 3 day working visit. I have got nothing to go back to. I have lived more than half of my life here. Thailand is my home. I have no idea what I would do and at my age finding gainful employment would not be easy in the UK. Any tax I have paid to the UK govt has been returned to me in full. I have not paid any NI stamps for a pension. So there is absolutely no reason to go back. The UK and I owe each other nothing. My parent's tax and rates paid for my education. Just as I paid directly for my son's education in Thailand.

I would be better off in Laos or Cambodia if Thailand would not have me any more. Heaven forbid.

Do you still have UK citizenship,if so,why?I would be interested to find out how many expats from where ever they come from who are unhappy with their home country are willing to give up their citizenship.How about doing a poll on that subject,might sort the wheat from the chaff.

I don't think it is slagging off their home countries, more to do with changing circumstances. I have empathy for those who see political correctness surpassing common sense.

As for the benefit of education and work.................

I am sure there are many like me who didn't go the college/university route. In my case, through choice, as I saw a huge world out there that needed looking at. I spent 23 years in the military doing just that, and believe me, any debt that I may have had to my country was fully paid during that time.

All my qualifications and knowledge, in this ever-changing part of my life, have been acquired without the help of my 'home country'; I am not stuck in the past but live for the future. Have always been like that and not planning to change in the near future.

As to being a traitor to my heritage, dream on and grow up a bit..............................wink.png

Took the words right out my mouth.

Always amazing when some ( r****d ) throws out the old traitor accusation.

Obviously you are from a priveledged upbringing,let me guess the Gorbals so you are on a higher plane than a serf like me,must be a Partick Thistle supporter.

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

and

Wrong.

For my 22 years Service ( for Queen & Country ) I did receive a very good index linked pension at the age of 40.

Not a good idea to be throwing accusations of traitor around.

I would not slag my "home" country. But I have lived in Thailand since I was 19 and am now 52. In that time I have been back to the UK 3 times, the last time 15 years ago and that was for a 3 day working visit. I have got nothing to go back to. I have lived more than half of my life here. Thailand is my home. I have no idea what I would do and at my age finding gainful employment would not be easy in the UK. Any tax I have paid to the UK govt has been returned to me in full. I have not paid any NI stamps for a pension. So there is absolutely no reason to go back. The UK and I owe each other nothing. My parent's tax and rates paid for my education. Just as I paid directly for my son's education in Thailand.

I would be better off in Laos or Cambodia if Thailand would not have me any more. Heaven forbid.

Do you still have UK citizenship,if so,why?I would be interested to find out how many expats from where ever they come from who are unhappy with their home country are willing to give up their citizenship.How about doing a poll on that subject,might sort the wheat from the chaff.

Of course I do. Otherwise I would be a stateless person. What a strange question.

attachicon.gifAustralia nanny state_ Have we become a nation of idiots_.htmlyes coaster you are right it is hot and dirty here too but i like the life style and culture.

"yes coaster you are right it is hot and dirty here too but i like the life style and culture."

Ok,appreciate you backing down from that comment,i know not many would.

As for the culture here,i'm not too impressed with it.

Anyone that thinks making the right offerings then jumping on a MB with no helmet,possibly drunk and talking on the phone at the same time is going to bring them good luck...well!!

Lifestyle,yeah,love it.Big draw card here.

Scenery,landscapes too.

At the right time of the year places like..

West coast Phuket beaches.

Kao Yai

Phang Nga Bay-Krabi.

Phu Ruea

the North...are outstanding.

I spend a lot of time at out of the way places and really like what it has to offer here.

The things you mention are n't really about culture but about bad attitude.When i mention thai culture i am thinking about the inter dependancy of families,showing of generosity,taking care of one another.

im sure allot of guys came here looking for paradise and it turned out to be a mirage that slipped through your hands. The longer you stay here the poorer you get and the weaker and older you get but you are afraid to leavve because now you are used to it and it's vvery safe and comfortable here?

Death is coming to us all so think about how you want to prepare yourself for death then it doesn't really matter if you end up homeless if you are doing the right thing for your soul you will still be happy but if you are a fool like Donlad Trump no matter how much you have it does not give happiness it will never be enough an unquenchable thirst that ccan never bbe satisfied.

Really take care of your spirit and then all else will fall into place automatically.

Besides there is always Mexico!

I consider the actions of my oz govt despicable on far too many occasions, both political parties are disgusting and I want no part of it and how they treat the citizens.

I have lived in a number of countries over the past 20 or so years and whilst there are good and bad points I find these other countries to be much more livable and much better quality of life.

I feel absolutely no loyalty to my original country, just as they wouldn't care about me, im sure the feeling is mutual and both the govt and me dont give a damn.

Tell me are you Australia or are you not but if your how are you living in thailand were do you get your money from hop not from Australia the country you are I think having a go at

I am Australian, i live and work in malaysia. No i do not receive any money from Australia, but I sure have paid a lot to the oz govt.

why would you be paying money to the Aussie government if you live and work in Malaysia?

Yep a Good question...

have thought about it from time to time, but no one know what might happen.... my plan is to end my days here can't think of a better place, but if I had to leave Thailand..

My idea would be maybe buy a motorhome, camper van, go where I want in the summer and maybe over winter in the Algarve Portugal

But then I would have a pension, so older than you, also know Portugal lived there 13 years, and speak the lingo, as I read, write and speak German, some nice places there been many times as well as worked there.

I'm currently starting the process to move out of Thailand, back to Europe.

My primary plan is first to move to Spain and then figure out, what to do. Portugal has been one option as well as Croatia.

Another thought has been buying a motorhome and move around like a gypsy. Equipped with solar panes and good batteries, should make a motorhome a decent place to stay. Southern Europe offers so many places to visit and see.

why would you be paying money to the Aussie government if you live and work in Malaysia?

Comprehension. I have PAID a lot. Past tense.