Forced to return to home country - what would you do?

simon43

I moved back to the US. I got tired of the heat, dirt and third world standards. One year was all it took after many trips. I still return for visits, usually about 3 months.

BTW I consider Thailand dangerous with a very high gun murder rate and a very high road death toll per capita. I feel very safe in small town USA.

I like first world standards everywhere I look including my first world home, kitchen, bathrooms, garage door openers... First world infrastructure...

As for what would someone do, I have four good friends in Thailand who are also regulars on this forum who know they have me. I have made it clear more than once that all they have to do is let me know and I'll pick them up at the airport, bring them to my home, provide food and transportation and WE will figure it out from there. That's what friends are for where I come from.

Cheers.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are there so many expats slanging their home country,to me it is worse than Thai bashing.If they did not have the benefit of education and work then they would not be here,or any other country.I find them obnoxious,very quick to condemn Thai basher,but very slow to admit what their nanny states have given them.In my opinion you are worse and traitors to your heritage.

I am grateful to the US for a great education and the bit of money I made working there. At the same time I despise living there (incidentally, I also despise the IRS following me around with laws like FATCA when I haven't consumed a single tax dollar in the past decade).

Does this make me a traitor? I dunno. Mebbe an opinionated misfit but not a traitor I don't think.

Oddly enough, one thing college taught me is that it's perfectly possibly to hold two entirely different, even conflicting, thoughts in one's mind at the same time. Makes life interesting as a matter of fact.

i

I understand where you are coming from.I still pay taxes in the UK.I do not like it but have no choice.Just read today In the Telegraph,I think an idea from the USA that the UK governmnt want access to bank accounts to deduct tax " They think you owe" I was hammered this year for a late return,I never got the letter.I tried to explain about the Thai post office,then I read aboujt the number of UK citizens in the same boat,almost 1 million.They were talk[ng about an amnesty because it was causting more money to collect than what was owed..Better stop post here,to much to say and big brother is watching.Advice to UK expats,if you read Yahoo UK follow the Telegraph,good for tax updates.

Why are there so many expats slanging their home country,to me it is worse than Thai bashing.If they did not have the benefit of education and work then they would not be here,or any other country.I find them obnoxious,very quick to condemn Thai basher,but very slow to admit what their nanny states have given them.In my opinion you are worse and traitors to your heritage.

I am grateful to the US for a great education and the bit of money I made working there. At the same time I despise living there (incidentally, I also despise the IRS following me around with laws like FATCA when I haven't consumed a single tax dollar in the past decade).

Does this make me a traitor? I dunno. Mebbe an opinionated misfit but not a traitor I don't think.

Oddly enough, one thing college taught me is that it's perfectly possibly to hold two entirely different, even conflicting, thoughts in one's mind at the same time. Makes life interesting as a matter of fact.

Take Thai citizenship then come back.

If for me it was a situation where I had to rely on having my own business or working to be able to support myself to stay long term in Thailand, than I would never had settled here under those circumstances. I could not live with the thought of being only one pay cheque from disaster if in the event I could no longer work..

I am fully retired, have a reasonable income, my wife and I have our own home, all legal and above board, my children have careers and working. I am both an American and a British citizen, both my parents departed now, heavily invested for my life in Thailand and sold up everything in the States and the UK long ago, so for me retuning back to the US or the UK would mean being either homeless or renting as I could no longer afford to buy back into the property markets and at my age, I doubt any one would want to employ me. Also after many, many years, returning to my home country I am sure would be a great reverse culture shock and probably hate it.

If the worst did happen and for some reasons I was told to pack my bags and clear off out the country, then my first choices would be to move to another south east Asian country or perhaps somewhere on the Indian continent.

I am sure there are many in a similar situation as myself, where there is much more involved than just packing a case, booking a flight and going back to what I describe as no man`s land.

Coming from a family with a colonial history I've watched a few old Asia hands return to the UK, with some of them it was even a retirement back home they had been eagerly looking forward to. This was also at a time when the UK would have seemed less alien to them than it would today. Never really worked out. As you say, so much more involved for those who feel Asia beneath their feet.

I moved back to the US. I got tired of the heat, dirt and third world standards. One year was all it took after many trips. I still return for visits, usually about 3 months.

BTW I consider Thailand dangerous with a very high gun murder rate and a very high road death toll per capita. I feel very safe in small town USA.

I like first world standards everywhere I look including my first world home, kitchen, bathrooms, garage door openers... First world infrastructure...

As for what would someone do, I have four good friends in Thailand who are also regulars on this forum who know they have me. I have made it clear more than once that all they have to do is let me know and I'll pick them up at the airport, bring them to my home, provide food and transportation and WE will figure it out from there. That's what friends are for where I come from.

Cheers.

Thanks -- I'm monitoring the situation.:

The ability to buy marijuana at a retail outlet is not expected to start until the fall of 2016.

http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Pages/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

Think i would rather live in a cardboard box than return to australia. I could think of nothing worse than having to return there.

Ok op if it not for Australia how would you be living in thailand I think you need to give a place like Australia a lot more respect it is the best place in the world as far as I can see what go's on ever were else in the world is not that good so do me a big favour not put sh?t on a great place Australia.

yeah it's kind of perverted isn't it. And the country they hold out as better - Thailand - of all places !

Perhaps it's due to their own self loathing and their struggle to confront their lifestyles in their own countries. But without the social and cultural pressure, Thailand allows them to come out of the closet.

Consequently, these people will only ever see faults in their own country and countrymen, and ignore all the compromises they must make living in thailand.

I consider the actions of my oz govt despicable on far too many occasions, both political parties are disgusting and I want no part of it and how they treat the citizens.

I have lived in a number of countries over the past 20 or so years and whilst there are good and bad points I find these other countries to be much more livable and much better quality of life.

I feel absolutely no loyalty to my original country, just as they wouldn't care about me, im sure the feeling is mutual and both the govt and me dont give a damn.

Tell me are you Australia or are you not but if your how are you living in thailand were do you get your money from hop not from Australia the country you are I think having a go at

I wouldn't go back to Canada for any reason. I have lived in Laos for 10 years now teaching English. I had some money when I arrived, met a quality girl from a quality family, got married and built a house. Now we have all that we need and it's all paid for. I speak Lao plenty good enough to get by and my wife has a BA in English and all 9 of her siblings have university degrees and good jobs - for Laos. Of the 10 kids, 4 are married to foreigners.

If I needed serious medical care, I'd hop over to Thailand, although there is a brand new hospital in Vientiane built for foreigners with foreign doctors. The Lao doctors all received their medical degrees from the West.

Things are improving swiftly.

just realised that this was a what if thread so I guess I jumped the gun in wishing you good luck, or did I?

Yes, it is purely a 'what if' thread. I am very lucky that I have a good guesthouse/hotel business in Phuket that is generally not affected by the fall/change in tourist demographics/numbers - I'm expanding the business right now to cope with the demand.

But if I were forced back to the UK, it is unlikely that I could make a go of a guesthouse business. Too much start-up capital required, maybe too much red tape.

As for my previous career (rocket scientist haha), I am out of touch with the industry now.

I do have a third, emergency career (teacher/school manager), and have spent a few years working in Myanmar and Laos in that profession.

I'd probably return to the UK and then out again to south-east Asia. I think the winter weather in the UK would lead to my early demise

Update:

[qote]

Everybody told him not to build this condo and save his +20mill baht and spend 1 mill per year and pension on top but no, he would not listen to us.

I have seen this happen quite a few times with building projects in Thailand. The construction is almost finished and then the money runs out.

For the 4 small hotels that I built over the past 10 or so years in Phuket, I always designed the project so that I could build and then open the first few guest-rooms, thus generating an income stream, without having to build all guest rooms first.

Seems common-sense to me, to reduce the risk factor. Probably more difficult though to open a condo building in phases...

Edited by simon43

I don't think it is slagging off their home countries, more to do with changing circumstances. I have empathy for those who see political correctness surpassing common sense.

As for the benefit of education and work.................

I am sure there are many like me who didn't go the college/university route. In my case, through choice, as I saw a huge world out there that needed looking at. I spent 23 years in the military doing just that, and believe me, any debt that I may have had to my country was fully paid during that time.

All my qualifications and knowledge, in this ever-changing part of my life, have been acquired without the help of my 'home country'; I am not stuck in the past but live for the future. Have always been like that and not planning to change in the near future.

As to being a traitor to my heritage, dream on and grow up a bit..............................wink.png

typo

I don't think you get it....

We are saying that we can not be forced to return to our country of origin.

Other than being deported, where you are forced to go to your country of origin, there are always other options.

If I were deported, I would return to America and then leave again.

I am American, I have the right not to live there if I so choose!cheesy.gif

I would not return to the US either... There are 196 countries on this planet and if forced to leave Thailand I would pick any one of the others to hang my hat...

I don't think it is slagging off their home countries, more to do with changing circumstances. I have empathy for those who see political correctness surpassing common sense.

I am sure there are many like me who didn't go the college/university route. In my case, through choice, as I saw a huge world out there that needed looking at. I spent 23 years in the military doing just that, and believe me, any debt that I may have had to my country was fully paid during that time.

All my qualifications and knowledge, in this ever-changing part of my life, have been acquired without the help of my 'home country'; I am not stuck in the past but live for the future. Have always been like that and not planning to change in the near future.

As to being a traitor to my heritage, dream on and grow up a bit..............................wink.png

Political Correctness is a nuisance I can deal with... What is transpiring in the US goes beyond insanity... I love my country, but hate what has happened to it and want no part of what it has become...

Now retired in Thailand for seven years and loving it. If forced to go back to US, no problem; there are plenty of things there that I do miss. It's a big country with plenty of choices for whatever climate and lifestyle you want. But please make it after OBummer leaves office!

I was enjoying your reply up until your last sentence when you suggested I should grow up,well being a grown up is a bit disappointing,just look around at the grown ups you know.Now on to a serious note,you say you have 23 years in a service.I know for sure depending on what rank you left with you are drawing a very good pension and I would also hazard a guess that you would not have done 23 years without a pension at the end.I am an ex serviceman myself and was lucky enough to sqeeze into the pension rites as I had served 12 years leaving in 1975.That year the government of the day changed the pension rules in awarding a pension for time served under 14 years.In those days we knew what was what and so it was a pleasant surprise to be awarded a pension,all be it I had to wait until I was 60.What I am trying to say is that in my opinion you would not be where you are today without the services as in my experience you learned more about life than you could ever learn in civvy street,time to sign of now and go and play in my sand pit.

I focus and live totally in the.... "Now".. (after a life time of practice). I did start to contemplate your question and immediately felt negativity creeping in, so put an end to it instantly. Living in the "here and now".... is beautiful.

The idea of committing a white-collar crime, in return for a cushy life in an open prison seems rather appealing if one has no other options.

But I'm sure the miserable, winter weather is the same inside the nick :)

The idea of committing a white-collar crime, in return for a cushy life in an open prison seems rather appealing if one has no other options.

But I'm sure the miserable, winter weather is the same inside the nick smile.png

From my knowledge I think you might just be surprised,my ex brother in law served 2 years in Ford open prison.He was convicted for forging antiques.If you are a Brit you might remember the Kellogs Special K advert,he made the belt buckle.He was a very talented guy and worked in the kitchens cooking and was vey popular with the inmates and staff,so maybe crime pays.

Moved back to North America last year after 12 years away. Found a great job, nice community, wife (Thai) & daughter enjoying it as well. Making good money, new friends and all in all enjoying our time. I would love to move back to Thailand but the wife loves the quality of life.

I would say do some research, find a location you want to relocate, look for employment and move back. I think you may be surprised at the reception you receive and with life skills the job s that are available.

I think about the only thing that would cause me to return to the US is health issues, and that only if I've got Medicare which is a couple of years away. The other would be a serious illness that requires palliative care, because the 'pain-drug' adverse 'compassionate Buddhist country would rather let you die in agony than give you the dignity to remain at home with morphine so you can spend you last days with your family in relative peace and comfort. Instead your only option is to line the coffers of a hospital because they are the sole dispensers of morphine, and morphine is so draconianly regulated that there is not enough available for the general populace. These people are sadistic in their ignorance and hubris. There is no 'end-of-life' care with dignity here.

Of course then again, the US dollar (and other Western currencies) could end up becoming Weimar funny money at which point how do you afford to stay.

Can't actually happen to me. I'm in Thailand also for medical reasons, and my pensions are high enough to qualify for O-visa.

They would have to change their laws to lock me up in Germany. Well, Nazis are perfect in tayloring laws according to their economic and organizational desires. I would claim political asylum in another country if they do.

As an American living in Thailand for only 4 years, I would find it difficult to return to the US to live. One thing living overseas has done is to allow me to look at the US from afar and see just how bad things are getting. Living in the US we are fed a daily diet of politically correct nonsense from the media. Most people are too busy to take the time to read and research for themselves so they allow things like CNN, FOX News, etc to be the basis for forming opinions.

Big money runs America. The .01 percent of the rich pull the strings and buy off the political structure. America ceased to be a democracy many years ago. Now it is a kleptocracy run by oligarchs who spoon feed the public pablum to keep them in line. Having had a chance to get away from the noise and do some reading and independent thought I now see just how bad things are in the US. To go back there and live would be a chore and one I would not relish.

As with some of the other posters on this topic, were I to have to leave Thailand I would consider other countries in SE Asia or even in South America to re-settle. I would return to the US only to visit family or if I had a significant health issue.

My country England has given me nothing except a passport. I paid 40 odd years NHS contributions for my pension which is frozen. I pay full UK tax. I served 12 years in the army but get no military pension while others leaving after 1975 do. I am not entitled to free NHS treatment. My country is overcrowded due to too many immigrants, who are entitled to free NHS treatment.

My country is more of a traitor to me than I to my country.

I owe nothing to the German nanny state, they owe something to me.

My education was paid by my parents who worked for the money. I worked when I was at university as a student, and I have been working ever after.

Ah ! Good question ...tongue.png

Eight years I'm living here in E-San , never got out Thailand but if...

No,no , I will never come back to my european country ;

I will go to another asian country such as Malaysia or Vietnam or why not Cambodia ..

For me the move 'back home' wouldn't be a difficult one because it's a question I will never ask me .

The only thing that would ever get me to move back to the UK, hopefully not for good would be illness.

I do have medical insurance in Thailand, but would still go back depending on the circumstances.