Use a visa service or do it myself?

I am in the USA now preparing to move to Thailand soon. I have been told that it is not difficult to do my own visa applications and submit them myself, vs. using an attorney or visa service.

I would like to receive opinions on these two options to make a decision on which way to go. I have hear charges range from $500 and upwards to have an attorney or service do the paperwork but it makes it easy to do since they do it all and you simply can "go to the beach" while they do the work.

And those who have done it themselves say that they simply follow the directions and seem to get it done with too much hassle either.

What is your recommendations, please?

A new soon to be farang...

Thanks for this, so the best place to start is at Thai immigration once I have my extended visa issued here in New York City and arrive in Thailand? I understand that I can get a 90 day or more tourist visa from the local Thai Embassy here, right, then do the rest in Thailand. I am a pensioner with sufficient income to meet the annual requirement for the retirement visa once I get the paperwork done there in Thailand.

Also, I plan on living in Chiang Mai. My home shipment is coming from my last place in Chile, to Thailand and will take about 2 months to get delivered to Thailand. I will need to find a reliable transportation company to deliver my goods (about 10 cubic meters), there. Anyone have suggestions in Bangkok for a good company to contact?

Second issue, should I apply for the visas at Chiang Mai or in Bangkok since I can do either? I plan on hanging around Bangkok for a month or so possibly just to get to know that area and then going on to Chiang Mai while my household goods of being shipped.

Third, I have heard that the US embassy does not verify income but simply a citizen must provide a notarized statement provided by the embassy for verification of the income coming from pensions in the USA? Is this true or are there different possibilities at different consulates, (like in Chiang Mai) or not?

As everyone here knows, it is great to get feedback about these issues and I for one, really appreciate feedback from my fellow ex-pats with their vast experiences already.

The Non Imm O visa is not the same as the OA visa, right? I have read that is a simple visa to apply for at the embassy her in New York City, and requires a payment of $200. I did not read if it is a multiple entry visa or am I required to leave every 90 days with that visa as well?

Since I have not lived in the USA for the past 14 years the OA non imm visa seems to be a challenge for me to qualify for since I have no home of residence to get a police report, bank letter or the like, in the USA. So I can only assume that you mean the plain Non Imm O visa as listed in the embassy pages here?

Please comment on this because it seems to be a bit confusing in the beginning...

Thanks for your comments.

"paperwork but it makes it easy to do since they do it all and you simply can "go to the beach" while they do the work."

This is a long way from the truth, without your input the Agents can't even get started,they need you to answer all the questions,without you they couldn't even put a name to your application,think about it! and if you can't even fill out your own forms,then you need an Agent,or someone that can!

Obviously they need my input..you missed the point here i think...I of course have to fill the paperwork out and provide the information to an agent...but if that is all that is entailed and then submitting it to Immigration then it does not seem to require their further services. Then I go to the beach!

Only a Non-O visa can be extended , so you should apply for a single entry Non-O to "investigate retirement options". A tourist visa can be converted to a Non-O in Thailand for this purpose but requires an extra step and only a few offices will do it so it might be a trip back to Bangkok.

The US Embassy will issue an Income Affidavit. It is just a notarized form that you fill out. It can be downloaded from the Embassy website. No proof is required. However, some immigration offices do require proof in addition to the statement, mine doesn't. I think that the consulate in Chiang Mai also issues them.

PM me and I will send you the name and address of a reputable company in Bangkok that will handle your import including customs clearance and delivery. I've used them many times to import farm equipment from the US, Japan and China including full containers. Against forum rules to post on the open forum.

Agents aren't necessary as the process is really simple if you don't mind the wait at some immigration offices. Also you'll have to make an appointment at the Embassy to get the Income Affidavit and also at some immigration offices to do the extension, I think Chiang Mai is one.

Good luck, I've been here over 17 years with no problems, at least not with immigration and visa extensions!

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne...very helpful comments. I sent a PM to you for info on fright forwarding company...Now I have a path to follow on the visa issue. I have read so much on this issue and the more I read the more confusing it gets and everyone has their own opinions, so you seem to make a lot of sense with your experience and knowledge.

Thanks so much for your comments.

• Like 1

it's fine most of the time.

But Thailand being Thailand you are not protected from any Immigration officer trying to make cash by making your life difficult.

If you are rich and want ZERO hassle just get someone else to do it for you.

You do not need anyone to do it for you.

Easy to do yourself and don't believe the scaremongers who tell you otherwise.

A Non Imm O-A Visa is more expensive and needs more paper work but gives you 2 years in Thailand before you have to transfer your cash to a Thai bank account.

A Non Imm O Visa is easy and can be extended every year in Thailand for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

If you are near one of the honorary consulates listed here you could apply in person for a single entry non-o visa for a fee of $80. http://www.thaiembassydc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HCG_Jan15.pdf You will not be able to get a non-o visa from the embassy in DC or the consulates in NY. LA or Chicago.

If you do not get the non-o visa I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa instead of coming in on a 30 visa exempt entry. You might need to show a ticket out within 30 days to board your flight if you don't have visa,

If you come in on a visa exempt entry you would have 15 days to get the income affidavit from the embassy and apply for a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration. It requires 2 trips 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps. With a tourist visa you could apply for it up to the last 15 days of the 60 day entry you will get.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from a non-o visa obtained before arrival or the 90 days from the conversion you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at Chaing Mai immigration.

If you don't get the non-o visa or the do the conversion in Bangkok before traveling to Chiang Mai you would have to go back to Bangkok for the conversion or to a nearby embassy to get a single entry non visa. Immigration in Chiang Mai cannot do the conversion.

• Like 1

Well according to the webisite for the Thailand Consulate General in New York City, this is copied from their website so if they do not provide visas then their whole section on visas is incorrect. Are you saying they are not correct in their website:

Royal Thai Consulate General New York

The Royal Thai Consulate General in New York has a main function of providing passports for Thai citizens, issuing visas for foreigners to travel to Thailand and offering legalization services and protection for Thai nationals who live in the United States of America."

The ticket out is an airline issue and not a legal issue for Thailand and that is easier to deal with just with an itinerary if needed, easily gotten since I have to exit anyway at the end of 90 days....cheap enough to get that one..But with the O visa I do not think I will have to have an exit ticket at the airport....

I think you have to be careful about mixing apples and oranges. The Consulate in New York City is NOT an "Honorary" consulate, it is a full services consulates. Honorary consulates are normally located where there are no general consulates near by. Full service Consulates DO offer all the different types of visas for USA citizens I understand according to the conversation I had with them today over the phone. So please be careful about spreading mis information and confusing the issue more than it already is.

They would issue a visa to you at the NY consulate but not the single entry non-o visa you need. They will only issue you a OA long stay visa.

The honorary consulates will issue the single entry non-o visa because they cannot issue a OA visa.

Have a look at this page from the consulate website. You will not see any mention of a non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/visa/o-visas/

• Like 1

I am not interested in a retirement visa right now. The Non Imm O visa is the way to go for me I believe now after talking to the embassy today. They do issue the NON IMM O visa in New York City according to the person at the consulate I talked with this afternoon. The retirement visa is another issue all unto itself. Since I have not lived in the USA for over 14 years it is difficult to get all the paperwork they want from here....I will wait till I lived in Thailand to consider that.

Copied from the embassy pages in NYC:

Required documents for Non-Immigration-O visas

1. One application form
  2. Two passport-size photographs (2x2 inches)
  3. Passport (valid for at least the next 6 months)
  4. For family visits, the applicant must provide proof of relationship to the family member and proof of Thai citizenship for that family member.
  5. A copy of airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight no., date of entry and name.
  6. Visa fee

The O-A visa for long stay (retirement) is also issued according to the person I talked to at the embassy today, so maybe your information is outdated or incorrect, unless the person at the embassy does not know what he is talking about...

So once again I reiterate, when posting information here, one needs to be sure what is correct as of today and not from past experiences.

See this is the problem...My question was one thing and I have responses for everything nearly except for what I started out asking. The NON IMM O visa is not for retirement. The NON IMM OA visa is the "retirement or Pension" visa. The O is the one I am told that I can get here in NYC with no problem, so I will simply go over to the consulate and find out for sure and get whatever one they recommend for me and that will put an end to the discussion that seems to become more confusing as it progresses here.

And it sounds like I can do the paperwork myself with a little effort once I am there. I am a past attorney from the USA anyway so legal stuff does not daunt me in the least.

The visa application and process is simple, agents will just confuse the issue. In NYC the Thai Consulate would be fine else you might do well to contact the Portland OR office of the honorary Counsel, well known for being fast, friendly and helpful.

Thanks for this, so the best place to start is at Thai immigration once I have my extended visa issued here in New York City and arrive in Thailand? I understand that I can get a 90 day or more tourist visa from the local Thai Embassy here, right, then do the rest in Thailand. I am a pensioner with sufficient income to meet the annual requirement for the retirement visa once I get the paperwork done there in Thailand.

I found it easy enough to apply through my regional Thai Consulate in Chicago. Everything was outlined on what needed to be submitted. Submitted same, Visa for reason of retirement came back without any issues.

Oh dear -- let's be a little more welcoming to Chiang Mai newbies and give DocRoberts the benefit of the doubt, please. It sounds like it's no big effort for him to pop over to the NYC Consulate and actually confirm in person if they'll give him a 90-day non-imm O visa. I've heard of them doing it for others, even though they aren't an Honorary Consulate. What's the worst that could happen -- they confuse him with all the documents needed for an O-A, which probably isn't the best visa in his situation? Then maybe he'll return and realize that UbonJoe really does know his stuff.

I suspect he may end up with a 12-month multi-entry O visa from NYC, which may or may not be what he wants. It's OK if he doesn't mind leaving Thailand every 90 days. Besides, you can still do a 12-month retirement extension of that visa during the final 30 days of any entry -- you don't have to wait until the end of the life of the visa.

The key thing is that he doesn't end up with a tourist visa. He might as well come in visa exempt (i.e. without a visa). A tourist visa is worthless as a start toward a 12-month retirement extension.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

See this is the problem...My question was one thing and I have responses for everything nearly except for what I started out asking. The NON IMM O visa is not for retirement. The NON IMM OA visa is the "retirement or Pension" visa. The O is the one I am told that I can get here in NYC with no problem, so I will simply go over to the consulate and find out for sure and get whatever one they recommend for me and that will put an end to the discussion that seems to become more confusing as it progresses here.

And it sounds like I can do the paperwork myself with a little effort once I am there. I am a past attorney from the USA anyway so legal stuff does not daunt me in the least.

You came here for help and now you're lecturing people on something you clearly don't understand.

A non-imm O visa is what the majority of people get when coming to Thailand with the intention of eventually getting an extension of stay based on retirement. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay, you go to immigrations with all your documents in order, and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, although the visa can be obtained for other purposes as well.

The non-imm O-A requires a bit more documentation, which some people consider too much of a hassle, but offers you the potential to stay in Thailand for up to two years before you need to apply for an extension of stay. The first year from the date it is issued, it allows you to do as many exits and entries from Thailand as you care to make. Each time you re-enter while the visa is still valid, immigrations will given you a fresh one year permission to stay. Once the actual visa expires you will still be allowed to stay in Thailand for as long as your last permission to stay stamp indicates - - at which time you will need to either leave or apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. Once the visa has expired, your permission to stay allows you to remain in Thailand, not cross in and out of the country. That would require a re-entry permit.

The Non-imm O-A is neither a retirement visa nor pension visa, although out of convenience it may be called the former by some people. Never heard anyone call it a pension visa.

I am a past attorney from the USA anyway so legal stuff does not daunt me in the least.

I've never heard anyone refer to himself as a "past attorney" before, but your comprehension of Thai immigrations procedures and processes ... or your willingess to accept advice from others ... appears to suggest you aren't as dauntless as you assume.

Edited by Suradit69

The key thing is that he doesn't end up with a tourist visa. He might as well come in visa exempt (i.e. without a visa). A tourist visa is worthless as a start toward a 12-month retirement extension.

And, if he were planning on coming in visa exempt on a one-way air ticket, he might be denied permission to board his flight at check-in. A non-O (single or multi) obtained in the States is definitely the way to go in his case.

I've dealt with Chiang Mai immigration in person. There is one officer there who seems to delight in being as obstructive as possible. After that, I engaged a visa service.

It's all about networking. You pay for visa services, and with their contacts they can convert a stressful 7 hour waste of your time into a relaxed 20 minutes for processing. Smooth as silk.

There are people on this forum who seem to think engaging a visa service is equivalent to drug dealing. There are also experts on this forum whose advice is very good.

It really comes down to whether you want to become an expert yourself in the arcane world of the Thai visa system, or simply get the job done by paying someone else to do it. For me, life's too short.

• Like 1