Using a K-BANK ATM card during trip to US

I used that card ten years ago in the US, and recently (1 month ago) my Bangkok Bank ATM card. It also works for credit purchases, but not debit. Also, don't let anyone (bars, hotels, etc.) "hold" funds. K-BANK will see it as a withdrawal. The clerk will insist that you'll get the money back, but they don't know what they're talking about.

A few times I've been asked to show ID, before they realize the card says "VALUED CUSTOMER." A few don't like that, but there's no reason a card needs your name on it and it is actually a violation of the VISA or Mastercard merchant agreement to demand ID for every transaction.

Note that many places are moving over to "CHIP and Signature" right now, at least for credit card purchases. I have no idea whether such systems will accept a Thai bank card.

Edited by BudRight

Thai credit cards generally work fine in the US for purchase and cash withdrawal (Cash advance, you will get slapped with some serious % of fees)

Debitcards for purchase is a hit or miss, depends on the system the store is using, my thai debitcard works at walmart but not walgreens, if you tried to make a purchase at a small merchant the chance is thai debitcard is not going work.

Cash withdrawal works just fine with debitcards though but you might want to keep your spending in creditcards and all the cash you need here in Thailand, ATMs in the states are the worst when it comes to exchange rate, and there's a $3-$5 fee per withdrawal. I kid you not, I got some cash out in Texas last month and the receipt stated that the exchange rate was 37.xxxx baht for 1 USD, the 100-150 baht your local thai bank will charge you per withdrawal is just the cherry on top.

You can buy USD at SuperRich's head office/branch.

Alternatively, you can withdraw dollars at the airport using Siam Commercial Bank's foreign currency ATM, there's a 500USD limit per card, but you can only use Siam Commercial Bank debit/credit cards.