If you were a farang living in LOS & had B10m available?

fang37

That's not very much money. Better hang on if that's all there is.

Edit: I mean if there's no retirement income and that's all there is for life including potential medical etc.

Yes, that is less than $300k; however, since you are apparently not a day trader yourself, a reputable investment broker can recommend an income investment portfolio which should earn you more than an NES teacher's salary. I suggest you google, "income generating investments" and do some reading.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, my latest little guesthouse cost me 2.5m to build and since opening 8 months ago, it has earned me on average 160,000 baht per month. (Yes, I know most won't believe me).

Subtract 30k max for my monthly bills and I seem to be doing OK, (thanks to the lovely Chinese tourists in Phuket - Xie Xie!)

I learn over the past 10 or so years of running small hotels how NOT to do it. The most important thing is to lease land in your name for say 20 years and construct your buldings - no 3 year lease term with increasing rent. (My monthly land lease amount is just 16,000 baht, fixed for the next 18 years).

Simon, with all due respect, I'm retired very comfortably and the LAST thing I want is a guesthouse to run. Or a bar. Or a restaurant. Or a job teaching school...

Retired means passive income and even if I hired a manager I couldn't walk away from the guesthouse and be truly retired. Retired is selling a guesthouse, not building or owning one.

Back to the OP, BHT10 mil isn't much money but at my age I could make it last. I wouldn't want to. I also wouldn't want risk investments if that's all I had.

Cheers

Put 5 million away to retire on so you get it sent to you monthly , when u need it , 1 million on hand to live on and 3 Million to do my Deli in Bangkok or Pattaya , I lived here 28 years now and my food has a good reputation ! Phuket's downturn took out the Business in Patong Beach and Pattaya is slow also Tourist wise but not ex-pats , still many. I make my own Pastrami Corned Beef and Knishes...plus many other deli foods and a line of pickled products and a Frozen Food Line...but that's selfish , just retire and send yourself a budget to live on , and get yourself Insurance for any illnesses that might occur , so you don't get wiped out by Hospitalization or we get a shophouse or house that can live and work ! How old are you ?

Just saw last post on not wanting to do a bar , hotel or restaurant , so try the frozen food biz from your home , no need to start it up here for 200,000 to 500,000Baht depending on different ideas of what exactly u make and its not working as the head cook does the work .

We had the frozen foods and pickle business in 1 location and did ok for out of our room.

We sold alot of Pickles to restaurants too!

post-35854-0-10785100-1437078874_thumb.j

post-35854-0-35952000-1437078932_thumb.j

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

10 million baht.

you might want to rent "poor" 1,000,000 baht.....or 5000 baht a month for 200 months. 16.6 years

OK, now put in an emergency fund of 500000 baht

put away enough for visas, etc...maybe another 1,000,000 for the rest of your life for visas

1,000,000 baht for health care

say you spend 3,000,000 on food

1,000,000 on "luxury items"

now you are left with 2.5 million baht

2.49 to first wife

11 million to second wife

123213213213 million to third wife

there goes the budget!!!!

Assuming that you want to stay long time in Thailand.

If you get a good return invest it in your own country in property etc to give you monthly income, and use that income for your expenses in Thailand. If you can not invest it as I mentioned then buy a cheap condo say around 600 000 Baht. You can get it in Pattaya (Nirun Condo) or places like that. So you have no monthly expenses for your stay. Put most of your money in fixed deposit to get few percent interest. And spend as less as possible because that much money soon finish in a place like Thailand with all the activities.

See the guy on the right in my pic? That is my old neighbor.

He had more funds then that. Came to Thailand (Chiang Mai) from the USA and get a inflated head about his new found wealth conversion-wise. Used to sit around drinking fine wine, doing pilates and sitting in an air-con unit most of the time. Funny thing is, Thailand was not for him and it was all just a defense to convince himself and others he was happy here. Ended up moving to France. Lasted about a year in Thailand before he threw in the towel.

coffee1.gif

10M Baht available?....hmmmmm...yes I do have & more....so I sure as hell ain't

posting my intentions here that's for sure. If you have 10M you should know what

to do with it, so why ask.

Same reason you gave your figures here, i suppose.

coffee1.gif

He had more funds then that. Came to Thailand (Chiang Mai) from the USA and get a inflated head about his new found wealth conversion-wise. Used to sit around drinking fine wine, doing pilates and sitting in an air-con unit most of the time. Funny thing is, Thailand was not for him and it was all just a defense to convince himself and others he was happy here. Ended up moving to France. Lasted about a year in Thailand before he threw in the towel.

coffee1.gif

The last time it has been your brother...

Learn how to sail! Buy a boat! Travel the world!

LOL. You must be a very old man in your eighties and still living in the past. 10m baht is hardly a huge amount today, can at best buy a cramped 60sqm condo close to a bts/mrt in midtown bangkok. And you think he can buy a luxury yacht and sail around the world for the rest of his life!!

$50,000 (1.6Mbht)

post-233622-0-45263900-1437090608_thumb.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/Columbia-43-MKIII--2724642/KoOlina/HI/United-States#.VahCyfmqqko

You could in fact buy more than 20 condos easily.

If you wanted smaller 27square condos that needed a little work but great for rent, then you could buy well over 30 condos and rent for say 3 or 4k a month each.

that would keep you entertained chasing the Thais for the rent every month. good luck on that one cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Learn how to sail! Buy a boat! Travel the world!

LOL. You must be a very old man in your eighties and still living in the past. 10m baht is hardly a huge amount today, can at best buy a cramped 60sqm condo close to a bts/mrt in midtown bangkok. And you think he can buy a luxury yacht and sail around the world for the rest of his life!!

$50,000 (1.6Mbht)

attachicon.gifyacht.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/Columbia-43-MKIII--2724642/KoOlina/HI/United-States#.VahCyfmqqko

And you think can sail around the world in this 1974 relic? See the prices of other boats listed below it, more likely to cost 300k up.

coffee1.gif

Did you just change your avatar to your ex-neighbor's photo in order to make this point?

PS: Valid point, worthwhile example, just found the photo part intriguing.

Edited by 55Jay

With 10m baht, I could finally marry my girlfriend, who I love more than anything. I've been wondering for a long time how I'll be able to afford her dowry. She is from a really good family.

dow·ry
noun
noun: dowry; plural noun: dowries
  1. property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.

thumbsup.gif

God, how I wish that were true. I've asked my dad to loan me money to pay her dowry, but he absolutely refuses because he's too old and white and intolerant. He told me in very racist terms that dowries are retarded and that if a culture is going to be so ignorant and uncivilized as to continue the practice, the dowry should always go to the man for having to put up with the woman for the rest of his life. I tend to agree with my dad on most things, but he doesn't understand love (he's borderline autistic).

At my age (67), investing in budget condos=headaches

I have purchased 30+ investment properties over the years.

In most cases they were self-managed.

Agents - my experience - inferior management - put anyone in - get the commission. Maintenance - sweetheart deals with contractors ie kick-backs

The more I consider, the 2% on offer by the banks looks "OK".

Investing in condos is not a mugs game if you do your homework and are prepared to put some effort in. I get a 7% return.

If you look on DD Property and other sites you can sometimes find prime location condos which need fixing up. I am already doing this and have bought two, a 1.25M 35 sqm near the airport in a nice development in srinakarin which i rent mainly to stewardesses, and a 67 sqm condo in a prime part of Ekkamai for 3.2 M 2 years ago. I then did a complete redesign with new kitchen and rent it for just under 20,000b a month.

When you buy, watch the exchange rate like a hawk. I bought my last place in the middle of the troubles and chose the day of a big Suthep rally to negotiate with the thai bank intermediary, and got a very good rate that day.

One idea would be to buy smaller condos near prime BTS stations on sukhumvit road, this is good for AirBNB rentals

Are you actualy saying Suthep was good for something????? hahahahah

Edited by Bernard Flint

Won't last long. Good SEcurity amt for medical, emergency

Travel, but you need at least B30K per month every month to

Live

I make B4000/mth. Life is too good on bread & water.

With 10m baht, I could finally marry my girlfriend, who I love more than anything. I've been wondering for a long time how I'll be able to afford her dowry. She is from a really good family.

dow·ry
noun
noun: dowry; plural noun: dowries
  1. property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.

thumbsup.gif

God, how I wish that were true. I've asked my dad to loan me money to pay her dowry, but he absolutely refuses because he's too old and white and intolerant. He told me in very racist terms that dowries are retarded and that if a culture is going to be so ignorant and uncivilized as to continue the practice, the dowry should always go to the man for having to put up with the woman for the rest of his life. I tend to agree with my dad on most things, but he doesn't understand love (he's borderline autistic).

Well your dad is right.

It is retarded, ignorant and uncivilized to continue a "hey-here-is-money-for-your-daughter" tradition and on that note, love has nothing to do with "sin sod". Oh yeah almost forgot, it's not racist to criticize cultural traditions.

Put 5 million away to retire on so you get it sent to you monthly , when u need it , 1 million on hand to live on and 3 Million to do my Deli in Bangkok or Pattaya , I lived here 28 years now and my food has a good reputation ! Phuket's downturn took out the Business in Patong Beach and Pattaya is slow also Tourist wise but not ex-pats , still many. I make my own Pastrami Corned Beef and Knishes...plus many other deli foods and a line of pickled products and a Frozen Food Line...but that's selfish , just retire and send yourself a budget to live on , and get yourself Insurance for any illnesses that might occur , so you don't get wiped out by Hospitalization or we get a shophouse or house that can live and work ! How old are you ?

Just saw last post on not wanting to do a bar , hotel or restaurant , so try the frozen food biz from your home , no need to start it up here for 200,000 to 500,000Baht depending on different ideas of what exactly u make and its not working as the head cook does the work .

We had the frozen foods and pickle business in 1 location and did ok for out of our room.

We sold alot of Pickles to restaurants too!

attachicon.gifbig bills 2 006.jpg

attachicon.gifbig bills 2 010 (1).jpg

I like hearing a successful story regarding business in Thailand on here, very refreshing and proof it's possible. Well done!

The products look very tasty also.

I'd buy 15 condos around bkk and rent them for 5k a month each.

I would have thought 8 at most especially if close to the bts ie 1km but still do able and rent for 8-10k each I wouldnt buy 15 too many headaches,

I would buy a nice condo and invest everything else in a diversified manner, some stocks, bonds, metals, and a small portion in scarce digital assets

rijit

Scarce digital assets? How do you find them ?