If you were a farang living in LOS & had B10m available?

fang37

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put 1/3 in Facebook stock, 1/3 in Google and 1/3 in Apple.

(should have done this yesterday however as Goog is up 14% today)

They all have more cash then most countries in the world and are arranging the (your) future.

Go with them.

Sell half your profits every year and enjoy life.

What makes you think that everything everyone knows about the future prospects of these companies isn't represented in the present price? People sat things like, "House prices will go up about 10% a year", but when you ask them whether they think their £100,000 flat will be worth £6.4 million in 42 years they say "No". Well, that's what 10% a year means.

The long-run return on shares is 5.1% per year. Individual companies can and do go bust. If Apple, Google and Facebook could be relied upon to outperform the market next year and the year after people would bid the price up today. With $300,000 you should aim for $12,000 a year in dividends and a modest 34,000 baht a month lifestyle. Indeed, you should spend a good bit under that just in case the dollar collapses and dollar earnings become less valuable in baht terms. If the opposite happens you can spend a bit more, but you never want to put yourself in a position where you have to sell capital. I'd buy a spread of assets through cheap Vantage funds, investment trusts and (maybe) ishares ETFs. I'd avoid bonds, speaking personally: I think the bond market is an obvious bubble. This doesn't involve backing out of my claim that all the information for everything is in the price: dumb money - when there's enough of it - can distort prices. But I don't think any small investor should buy individual shares. Fidelity Investments and Schroders have funds that use "covered call options" to generate mega income. This is something you could do yourself, but it's cheaper and easier to use a fund. The fund owns shares and sells the right to buy the shares at a fixed future price. This becomes very valuable in a fast-rising market, which is why people will pay you/the fund the right to that option. In a fast-rising market your fund manager under-performs, but generally it's a safe way to get some gains and big dividends.

But I'd avoid all speculation, all in-country enterprise, all in-country investments and all single company shares. On Monday I'll log on and there'll be a nice fat dividend from Fidelity Enhanced Income sitting there for me. Tax free, no hassle, no tenants, no work, no maintenance, no grievance.......mmmmmmmmmmmmthumbsup.gif

As my user name suggests I love the beach, so I'd head there and find a cheap room on the sand to live in till I die.

Room on the sand? Cheap? You can find that in a low-key setting for 3000-4000b/month :)

Been there done that. You don't need 10.000.000 THB just a bit of Thai language skills, charm and some talent to think out of the box.

Mind you though, it's tougher a life than what u'd expect (after a while)....

You could in fact buy more than 20 condos easily.

If you wanted smaller 27square condos that needed a little work but great for rent, then you could buy well over 30 condos and rent for say 3 or 4k a month each.

You wouldn't have to worry about money anymore because you would probably be jumping from one of them in no time.

As my user name suggests I love the beach, so I'd head there and find a cheap room on the sand to live in till I die.

Room on the sand? Cheap? You can find that in a low-key setting for 3000-4000b/month smile.png

Been there done that. You don't need 10.000.000 THB just a bit of Thai language skills, charm and some talent to think out of the box.

Mind you though, it's tougher a life than what u'd expect (after a while)....

If I was going to live for another 20 years i'd need 10 million, even with a cheap place.

Off topic, what do you think of Chumphon?

I'd hate to live in Chumphon town, but I've stayed on an almost deserted beach south of it and loved it.

Just north of Chumphon is nice too. To live but not to invest

I live here and have substantially more than that but it remains invested in shares on the Australian stock market. I have, with my wife, who still works, bought property here and I retain a reasonable amount in the bank but there is no way would I bring everything here. If something goes wrong, I can fall back on what I have and return to my country at anytime I choose, however, at this time, there is no intention to do so. But who knows what will happen in the future. Never burn your bridges.

The problem with that is

1. You're exposed to exchange rate risk. Your income can differ very dramatically year to year

2. You can not claim the franking credits in Australia if you don't live there. However, if you invested in Thai shares you would in fact be able to claim the Thai equivalent tax credits that dividends provide. Thats the benefit of Thai tax residence.

But at the end of the day, invest with what your happy with.

Wrong. If you are a non tax resident of Australia and own ASX listed stock that is fully franked there is no tax payable on your dividends.

And pay very close attention to the threads of Simon43, 12Drinkmore and others who have what may be described as a 'critical view of money matters in Thailand'.

Is that a polite way of saying that we were screwed by our ex's? cheesy.gif

At least I came out with a smile on my face - twice!

According to Andrew Drummond you have also been f@cked over a few times on bussines ventures in Thailand,care to share Simon?

At my age (67), investing in budget condos=headaches

I have purchased 30+ investment properties over the years.

In most cases they were self-managed.

Agents - my experience - inferior management - put anyone in - get the commission. Maintenance - sweetheart deals with contractors ie kick-backs

The more I consider, the 2% on offer by the banks looks "OK".

Hmm you bought and sold 30+ investment properties and at 67 your net worth is only 10 million baht.

Yes you should avoid property moving forward, clearly you know nothing about turning a profit from it.

Buy a 1 bed room flat just outside London for a about £125000 about 6700000 Thai baht

And then rent it out through a agency under a guaranteed rent scheme of about £700 a month 37000 Thai baht

With the rest look at getting a interest free mortgage on a fix rate for about 5 years

This will give u income of about 50000b a month

You won't have to pay much tax on your income because the tax free amount is about £10000 a year

Also house prices are going up in London at a insane amount

so just outside there might be a knock on affect then u an sell the second one after 5 years and make a nice chunk of change

You don't want to buy 10 condos in bangkok sounds like a nightmare

All that work

Red shirts yellow shirts and all that you might be in a war zone in 10 years time do you really want 10 condos in a war zone

And how do you know if you can get a visa here in the future

The Goal posts are changing all the time in this country

Just live here and invest somewhere else

Off topic, what do you think of Chumphon?

. It's nice with Custard..

especially after lunch.

The shoebox condos that are selling for 500,000 baht are rented for less than 5000. I see condos like that on ramkhamheang being rented for 2000-3000 baht. Outside Bangkok it would be less.

Outside of Bangkok you can get condos near universities and rent it out for 6-8000 per month to students. Of course it should be a reputable university such as ABAC or Mahidol. But these condos usually cost close to 2 million, the student market is quite stable for this price point compare to the ones that rent at 3000 baht.

2mil for 6000-8000 return is shockingly bad.

I agree the returns I am looking at suggested here are terrible. Especially given the risks, usually high risk investments in dodgy 3rd world countries need to be way higher than that. At least for me they need to be.

Edited by anotheruser

• 1 month later...

According to Andrew Drummond you have also been f@cked over a few times on bussines ventures in Thailand,care to share Simon?

Think you heard wrong:

- 2 bars in Sukhumvit ==> sold for a profit

- 1st hotel in Phuket ==> sold for a profit (but with some hassle from the ex)

- 2nd hotel in Phuket ==> sold breakeven

- 3rd hotel in Phuket ==> still a partner and making a profit

- 4th hotel in Phuket - still the beneficial owner and making a good profit

The only business venture I've done in my career which came 'unstuck' was 'Mobile Crazy TV',

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94921

a satellite TV channel on the Sky bouquet in Europe. It crashed after my financial backer pulled out - the $30,000 per month running costs were a bit too steep for my own bank account to manage...

Edited by simon43

If you fancy taking on some degree of risk and like the investment sector you can always try to open an offshore account with a bank or broker and buy government bonds from emerging countries.

They start from around 3M THB apiece though. Not many but there are a few countries from emerging markets paying a 7% to 9% net annual dividend and cost around 100 or less especially now with the general market drop. Certainly there are quite a few of them around paying 5% to 6% dividend.

Keep in mind that like Argentina, some countries can go bankrupt and default on both dividend and final payment and you would lose some or all of your money you have invested in that country. If you buy into countries sitting on natural resources like Brasil, Kazahkstan etc you would stand a better chance they’ll pay up even if they run into trouble.

More risk but a bit more return and not work involved.

With 10m baht, I could finally marry my girlfriend, who I love more than anything. I've been wondering for a long time how I'll be able to afford her dowry. She is from a really good family.

A good family would not want a sin snot or dowry, they would be happy their Daughter was happy,

With 10m baht, I could finally marry my girlfriend, who I love more than anything. I've been wondering for a long time how I'll be able to afford her dowry. She is from a really good family.

Why? Do you think the sex would be better if she had a piece of paper?

Given that 50% of western couples divorce, marriage is meaningless and btw love/ lust doesn't last.

Anyway, there is no need to buy your wife if she's happy to live with you without being married.

Frankly, I doubt if she really is from a good family if they want to sell her. A good family would care more about her happiness than how much she is worth in the bank.