Motorcycle kills road safety petitioner in Pathum Thani

webfact

Motorcycle Kills Road Safety Petitioner in Pathum Thani
By Khaosod English

14370401481437040294l.jpg
Local residents and officials gather signatures for a pedestrian safety petition across the street from where a woman was killed by an oncoming motorcycle in Pathum Thani, 15 July 2015.

PATHUM THANI: -- A woman was run over and killed by a motorcycle moments after she signed a petition calling for improved road safety in Pathum Thani province yesterday.

Police say the motorcyclist crashed into the 54-year-old woman, Lanchakorn Chanklom, in front of Soi Sukkhee 2 on Rangsit - Pathum Thani Road at around 11am. The motorcyclist was identified as a university student, who was also injured in the accident and has been sent to a hospital.

The incident took place close to where local community leaders and residents were gathering to sign a petition calling for a pedestrian bridge to be built over the road to prevent injuries and deaths.

According to Somjit Taethaisong, deputy chairman of Bang Poon Subdistrict Municipal Council, Lanchakorn came to the table set up by the residents to sign her name and then crossed the road to head home. Just as she was crossing the road, the motorcycle crashed into her, throwing its rider off onto the side of the road.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437040148

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-16

Signs a petition for road safety, then gets killed moments later by an idiot on a bike.

It would almost be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

Who says that the motorcyclist was the idiot, did you conduct an investigation?

I have had pedestrians step onto the road in front of my bike on at least 3 occasions. One I managed to stop in time, another I swerved but still clipped his funny bone with my mirror. In the 3rd an elderly woman stepped off the median into the inner lane of an 80km/h, 4-lane road. I had the rear wheel so far in the air that when I touched her, the front guard was over the tyre at point of impact, the back of her knees. The only injury she received was a bruise on her butt as her legs folded and she dropped to the road.

I was riding a Guzzi 500 Monza, the fastest stopping bike I have ever owned. At the time I also has a Suzuki 1100, and if I was on that she would almost certainly have been seriously hurt.

Incidents like that are no fun for either party, and I certainly won't automatically be attributing blame.

She was on a zebra crossing.....................

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

Where did it mention a zebra crossing?

The only known in this article is that a woman was killed by a motorcyclist while crossing a street.

Don't assume things about the incident that aren't said.

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

The only known in this article is that a woman was killed by a motorcyclist while crossing a street.

There is, as usual,a link to the original article which quite clearly states that she was on a zebra crossing.

I have had pedestrians step onto the road in front of my bike on at least 3 occasions. One I managed to stop in time, another I swerved but still clipped his funny bone with my mirror. In the 3rd an elderly woman stepped off the median into the inner lane of an 80km/h, 4-lane road. I had the rear wheel so far in the air that when I touched her, the front guard was over the tyre at point of impact, the back of her knees. The only injury she received was a bruise on her butt as her legs folded and she dropped to the road.

I was riding a Guzzi 500 Monza, the fastest stopping bike I have ever owned. At the time I also has a Suzuki 1100, and if I was on that she would almost certainly have been seriously hurt.

Incidents like that are no fun for either party, and I certainly won't automatically be attributing blame.

I had a country girl (from the way she was dressed) RUN in front of my bike (CBR150r) on Lat Prao. I reflexively slammed on the brakes and changed lanes to avoid hitting her and, lucky for me, I didn't get run over by the SUV in that next lane. I missed her by inches and only because she saw me at the last second and slowed down (not enough time for her, or me, to stop).

In a city with 8.5 million people, not everyone is careful all the time. Everyone I know, knows that zebra crossings only protect zebras and not pedestrians. Bangkok has many Saphan Loy for people to cross over the street safely. Yes, sometimes you have to walk a hundred meters to find one. Maybe the city will install one now. Too late for this concerned citizen, though. RIP.

Most likely, this is a tragic accident.

Edited by rametindallas

We have a foot bridge, across a main highway, right outside the local high school. I would estimate not even 20% use it, although I haven't done a scientific study :)

It's obviously a good idea but in reality, many folk are too lazy to climb the stairs !

Rip lady...

Edited by cornishcarlos

There is, as usual,a link to the original article which quite clearly states that she was on a zebra crossing.

It does indeed. Although we all know they are not regarded with the same deference here than in say the UK.

I would go as far as to say use them with caution, behave as if the crossing does not exist.

Vary sad and ironic she was hit just after signing the petition, I do hope they get their crossing, it should be named after her.

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

Yes. Thank you Messrs. Delgarcon & Jacko.

If people would actually bother reading newspapers and articles instead of sitting on their arrses and pouncing on posters, TV would be a much nicer place. Am I getting a sorry.gif ? Probably not.

..........According to police, the motorcyclist crashed into the 54-year-old woman, Lanchakorn Chanklom, while she was walking across a zebra crossing on Rangsit - Pathum Thani Road at around 11am..............

Edited by Cuchulainn

On her first day in NZ (and the second, and the third), my wife was utterly shocked when I stepped out onto a zebra crossing and all the cars stopped and waited patiently for us to cross. It took her a few weeks to get the confidence to do it by herself......actually she never really gained full confidence and even after a year, she would still hesitate slightly.

Here, when I'm driving, IF there is nobody close behind me, I always stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings and smile encouragingly. Most often I get a smile and a nod of thanks.

People do know what the crossings are for.

Signs a petition for road safety, then gets killed moments later by an idiot on a bike.

It would almost be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

Agrreed, but, don't forget the idiot on a bike will be fine 500 Baht.

On her first day in NZ (and the second, and the third), my wife was utterly shocked when I stepped out onto a zebra crossing and all the cars stopped and waited patiently for us to cross. It took her a few weeks to get the confidence to do it by herself......actually she never really gained full confidence and even after a year, she would still hesitate slightly.

Here, when I'm driving, IF there is nobody close behind me, I always stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings and smile encouragingly. Most often I get a smile and a nod of thanks.

From my experience, pedestrians know what they're for and drivers don't.

Sorry about the lady.

I was always taught to look both ways before I crossed a road.

In BKK I do that, plus look up, down, and behind me.

I do NOT put my fate in the hands of some painted pavement (zebra crossing) though.

I don't even do that in rural Georgia.

Maybe it's just me, but those cars are bigger than I am, so I wait till the coast is clear.

BTW.....It IS the law in GA to stop at crosswalks for pedestrians, which is fine. I just don't feel comfortable pushing my luck.

From my experience, pedestrians know what they're for and drivers don't.

Drivers do know, they just don't care.

The full article clearly states she was in a zebra crossing. That said we all know that in Thailand

the zebra crossing is regarded by drivers only as recommendation and pedestrians should

always be cautious. The motorcycle rider is in the wrong but the pedestrian is dead. RIP to her.

Thais don't know what zebra crossings are for.

Police don't know what zebra crossings are for.

The government has failed to educate the public.

If the government doesn't know what zebra crossings are for then they should remove them or ask a developed country's police.

We have a foot bridge, across a main highway, right outside the local high school. I would estimate not even 20% use it, although I haven't done a scientific study smile.png

It's obviously a good idea but in reality, many folk are too lazy to climb the stairs !

Rip lady...

Thais seem to be noted for laziness, so why do so many of them prefer to stand on the Skytrain and Underground when

there are many unoccupied seats?

I did not stop for people at zebra crossings in the UK unless they made it clear that they wanted to cross the road,

but I always slowed right down then sometimes found that people were standing there unsure whether they wanted

to cross the road or not, or even just standing there yapping.