Motorcycle kills road safety petitioner in Pathum Thani

webfact

We have a foot bridge, across a main highway, right outside the local high school. I would estimate not even 20% use it, although I haven't done a scientific study smile.png

It's obviously a good idea but in reality, many folk are too lazy to climb the stairs !

Rip lady...

Thais seem to be noted for laziness, so why do so many of them prefer to stand on the Skytrain and Underground when

there are many unoccupied seats?

I don't know ? Why ?

I have had pedestrians step onto the road in front of my bike on at least 3 occasions. One I managed to stop in time, another I swerved but still clipped his funny bone with my mirror. In the 3rd an elderly woman stepped off the median into the inner lane of an 80km/h, 4-lane road. I had the rear wheel so far in the air that when I touched her, the front guard was over the tyre at point of impact, the back of her knees. The only injury she received was a bruise on her butt as her legs folded and she dropped to the road.

I was riding a Guzzi 500 Monza, the fastest stopping bike I have ever owned. At the time I also has a Suzuki 1100, and if I was on that she would almost certainly have been seriously hurt.

Incidents like that are no fun for either party, and I certainly won't automatically be attributing blame.

You obviously were in full control of your machine and not speeding.

With rare exception, any vehicle, whether 2 wheels or four, should be capable of stopping for a pedestrian unless speeding or not paying attention.

Good on you, 4 for 4 (almost).

She was on a zebra crossing.....................

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

Where did it mention a zebra crossing?

Here: According to police, the motorcyclist crashed into the 54-year-old woman, Lanchakorn Chanklom, while she was walking across a zebra crossing on Rangsit - Pathum Thani Road at around 11am. The motorcyclist was identified as a university student, who was also injured in the accident and has been sent to a hospital.

We have a foot bridge, across a main highway, right outside the local high school. I would estimate not even 20% use it, although I haven't done a scientific study smile.png

It's obviously a good idea but in reality, many folk are too lazy to climb the stairs !

Rip lady...

Thais seem to be noted for laziness, so why do so many of them prefer to stand on the Skytrain and Underground when

I don't know ? Why ?

Maybe some kind poster can tell us.

Rip lady...

I don't know ? Why ?

Hemorrhoids?

what's wrong in thailand is the driving education system and the education in general...

in europe/usa zebra crossing are seen as a safe place for pedestrian to cross, here in thailand they are just some fancy drawing on the roads where a driver has the chance to see someone walking.

two days ago I was driving and a little girl was waiting to cross the road. I slowes down ans stopped to let her cross. a car behind me, tried to pass me on the left... he stopped in time.

and this sort of things happen to me almost everyday.

I am quite sure there is no country in the world with a tv adv to tell people to give free road to ambulances... and this sort of explain all the driving situation here.

Rip lady...

I don't know ? Why ?

Freedom of choice comes to mind. When I ponder such questions, then perhaps I need to look at my inner self and take an inventory.

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

Not being rude but maybe you should read the full media report, saves asking the question, clearly states that she was in a zebra crossing when hit. Try this link.

Full story: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1437040148

what's wrong in thailand is the driving education system and the education in general...

in europe/usa zebra crossing are seen as a safe place for pedestrian to cross, here in thailand they are just some fancy drawing on the roads where a driver has the chance to see someone walking.

two days ago I was driving and a little girl was waiting to cross the road. I slowes down ans stopped to let her cross. a car behind me, tried to pass me on the left... he stopped in time.

I am quite sure there is no country in the world with a tv adv to tell people to give free road to ambulances... and this sort of explain all the driving situation here.

Nothing to do with education and everything to do with the 'me first' attitude.

On her first day in NZ (and the second, and the third), my wife was utterly shocked when I stepped out onto a zebra crossing and all the cars stopped and waited patiently for us to cross. It took her a few weeks to get the confidence to do it by herself......actually she never really gained full confidence and even after a year, she would still hesitate slightly.

Here, when I'm driving, IF there is nobody close behind me, I always stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings and smile encouragingly. Most often I get a smile and a nod of thanks.

People do know what the crossings are for.

Mate, I was similarly shocked recently in Abu Dhabi. Many of the pedestrian crossings on main roads in city have now been raised forcing traffic to slow down even if no ones on them. Put one toe on them and 99% of motorists stop. There's always the odd idiot who tires to speed up and beat the pedestrian. Get caught doing that, or hit a pedestrian and it's big, big, trouble.

What else can one say?

Thainess Patheticness.

In Thai News when they showed the CCTV .... Cars had stopped in front of zebra crossing (imagine that) when the ba§tard came in full speed and killed her ...

The motorcyclist was identified as a university student, who was also injured in the accident and has been sent to a hospital. - Too bad he wasnt killed ... but maybe next time or maybe the Lady´s Family find him and get some Karma ... rolleyes.gif

RIP Lady

Who is at fault...?

Was the kid old enough to ride.. did he have a licence?

Was the old woman just walking out in front of traffic and to blame?

Finger pointing should be at the Police... It all starts with the first coconut!

I don't know about Thailand, but I do know from the statistics recorded in the UK that the majority of pedestrians are killed by normal everyday drivers in cities doing normal everyday speed.

In the UK like NZ people stop at Zebra crossings. However it is also common knowledge that they also do not normally stop at Zebra's in Thailand.

In a perfect world Drivers, Riders and pedestrians would take this information and use it to prevent themselves from becoming part of the statistics.

Unfortunately that is rarely the case. Normally the standard practice is to find someone to blame.

'... community leaders and residents were gathering to sign a petition calling for a pedestrian bridge to be built over the road ...' Could do with one of those in Thonglor. But the dear old BMA elected instead to supplement the perfectly serviceable existing street lighting with natty Edwardian-themed ones. Ignoring the screws and brackets that hold them together, and the twisting of the alignment to accommodate shop awnings, they are rarely ever switched on. A total, though typical, waste of funds that could have found a more practical use.

Thais don't know what zebra crossings are for.

Police don't know what zebra crossings are for.

The government has failed to educate the public.

If the government doesn't know what zebra crossings are for then they should remove them or ask a developed country's police.

They do know. Why do you suppose so many of them park on crossings?

Who is at fault...?

Was the kid old enough to ride.. did he have a licence?

Was the old woman just walking out in front of traffic and to blame?

Finger pointing should be at the Police... It all starts with the first coconut!

Old? At 54? The word was petition, not pension.

Nothing to do with education and everything to do with the 'me first' attitude.

I agree with the "me first attitude", but I am quite sure that educated people have respect for others... on the road and on the everyday life

With rare exception, any vehicle, whether 2 wheels or four, should be capable of stopping for a pedestrian unless speeding or not paying attention.

Unfortunately that is not the case. Any vehicle has a stopping distance. However alert and concentrating the driver or rider is there is a distance that they will cover before they can stop.

Even at 30 MPH that will be 23 meters. If a pedestrian steps in front of a vehicle doing standard town speeds and is less than 23 meters (about three car lengths) ahead of the vehicle then the drivers only option is to swerve if able. But swerving and braking at the same time even when possible often causes a loss of control. If the driver cannot swerve then there is no alternative to hitting the pedestrian. That's physics.

the problem here is that even if a car is driving at 30mph and is 50mts away at the moment a pedestrian try to cross the road, that driver will not brake, but start to blinking the lights and speed up...