Four fishing tools banned

webfact

FISHERY
Four fishing tools banned

Panya Thiosangwan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Command Centre for Combating Illegal Fishing on Thursday resolved to cancel the use of four fishing tools deemed destructive to the environment and extend the operations of the sector's one-stop service units until July 24, CCCIF chairman and Navy commander Adm Kraisorn Chansuvanich said.

The CCCIF attended the meeting with relevant agencies at Royal Thai Navy headquarters in Bangkok to follow up on the progress of problem-solving measures in accordance with issues raised by the European Union's inspection team.

The four banned fishing tools are push nets (except those used to hunt opossum shrimp); "Ai Ngo" traps; the generator-powered anchovy purse seine; and "Pong Pang" stow nets.

At the centre's next meeting, the Fishery Department is expected to present a new criteria for the number and size of fishing tools allowed for each type of fishing boat, while the centre's secretary office is slated to present a clear zoning plan for traditional fishing boats and commercial ones.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Four-fishing-tools-banned-30264624.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-17

This article would have been 100 times more interesting if each of these tools were pictured and explanations given as to how they are used and why they are detrimental to the environment or why they are being banned.

Nah, the reporter assumes everyone knows everything they need to know about these tools.

As always, very poor reporting.

Dynamite still okay then?

Of course not that is an Australian thing, and have even seen it well documented in the USA during an episode of crocodile Dundee, the famous reality show.

I saw it in Trat, many times.

Also widely used in the Philippines earlier until it got banned since it (unsurprisingly) totally destroys the reefs.

This article would have been 100 times more interesting if each of these tools were pictured and explanations given as to how they are used and why they are detrimental to the environment or why they are being banned.

Nah, the reporter assumes everyone knows everything they need to know about these tools.

If only a worldwide information source , with a fully indexed search capability, was accessible to all. Then we could easily find the information in the time it takes to moan that the information is not available...

http://www.fao.org/fishery/fishtech/1023/en

Reminds me of a wonderful short story by an Aussie author from back in the late 1800s.

The use of a 'square hook' as dynamite fishing was called, was not uncommon, and the story was about a couple of guys on the banks of an inland river.

They made up a package of dynamite which was carefully wrapped in sheep fat to keep it dry as it went underwater, and put it down while they made preparations for the catch. However, a local dog took a liking to the sweet-smelling device, grabbed the package and headed off at high speed.

He was followed by a pack of strays who wanted their share, and in the race to get away, he ran too close to a camp fire - and guess what? - the fuse started burning.

The dogs had gone a fair distance when the square hook went off with a mighty blast.

A short while later, a few of the pack returned to town, some limping, and for years after, there were a great number of one-eyed or one legged dogs to be found resting in the shade.

If only a worldwide information source , with a fully indexed search capability, was accessible to all. Then we could easily find the information in the time it takes to moan that the information is not available...

http://www.fao.org/fishery/fishtech/102

The reporter has a duty to provide us with a complete and informative article not a few words that leave us uninformed and disinterested or going for google to complete the job the writer was supposed to do.

The key point being the reasons for banning the nets. What is the negative effects of the use of these nets.

He could have just said 4 fishing nets have been banned google the rest if your interested.

I wonder whether this ban is a result of the recent international criticism of the Thai fishing industry, or whether the ban is truly a Thai initiative.

Good work anyhow, but make sure there is a follow-up after any period of grace I am sure the industry has been given.

Hearts and minds, Mr P. hearts and minds.

Reminds me of a wonderful short story by an Aussie author from back in the late 1800s.

The use of a 'square hook' as dynamite fishing was called, was not uncommon, and the story was about a couple of guys on the banks of an inland river.

They made up a package of dynamite which was carefully wrapped in sheep fat to keep it dry as it went underwater, and put it down while they made preparations for the catch. However, a local dog took a liking to the sweet-smelling device, grabbed the package and headed off at high speed.

He was followed by a pack of strays who wanted their share, and in the race to get away, he ran too close to a camp fire - and guess what? - the fuse started burning.

The dogs had gone a fair distance when the square hook went off with a mighty blast.

A short while later, a few of the pack returned to town, some limping, and for years after, there were a great number of one-eyed or one legged dogs to be found resting in the shade.

Very similar story to that in a poem written by Banjo Patterson (or Henry Lawson ?), "The Loaded Dog".

Of course not that is an Australian thing, and have even seen it well documented in the USA during an episode of crocodile Dundee, the famous reality show.

Wasn't Crocodile Dundee a comic character created by Australian comedian Paul Hogan?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Very similar story to that in a poem written by Banjo Patterson (or Henry Lawson ?), "The Loaded Dog".

haha good one mate. that's the story, but I wasn't sure if it was Henry Lawson or Banjo Paterson. At least, you remembered the name!

I've checked on Google and it was......

http://alldownunder.com/australian-authors/henry-lawson/loaded-dog.htm

This is going to make me home-sick.

Wasn't Crocodile Dundee a comic character created by Australian comedian Paul Hogan?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

No way mate. Croc Dundee (played by Paul Hogan) was no comic. He wuz a true blue Croc Hunter!

Four fishing tools banned..........Only four, please give us their names.

All explained as above------- can you not read ? coffee1.gif

Can you not understand the humour.??....the word " tool " is sometimes used to describe a stupid person....hence the reference to naming the 4 "Tools"

Not sure where you get your information but a "Square Hook" refers to a fishing net.....not Dynamite.

Four fishing tools banned..........Only four, please give us their names.

All explained as above------- can you not read ? coffee1.gif

Can you not understand the humour.??....the word " tool " is sometimes used to describe a stupid person....hence the reference to naming the 4 "Tools"

Thanks for that.....eats roots and leaves.

I saw it in Trat, many times.

I have been diving down at Samae San, lot of dynamiting down there, recall one dive down on the "Hard Deep" where we heard, and felt the shock wave from one bomb by fishermen some distance away.

Although Samae San is very close to Sattihip and you would think it would deafen the the poor rating wearing head phones connected to hydrophones for detecting the odd Russian marauding sub... must have bought their hydrophones from that dodgy "mine detector guy"gigglem.gif

It does a lot of damage to the coral, and although they get a lot of fish floating on the surface most sink to the bottom... they should do a lot more to stop this.

Edited by Basil B

Not sure where you get your information but a "Square Hook" refers to a fishing net.....not Dynamite

The colloquialism for Dynamite is " long tailed prawn" where I come from anyway.