Do local thai people and restaurant use tap water?

thailanddnaliaht

Think of the source. The Chao Phraya river. I'd hate to think of what's been dumped into it. Including chemical waste from upstream. Think of the credibility of the local government. Then, consider how well maintained the pipes are from the water plant to your source. One small crack can let all sorts of nasties in. Some 600 recently got sick in Rayong from tap water. I'll stick with the bottled water.

Think also that it's treated, not straight from the river.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Well... Looks like I'm the only one on TVF who daily drinks tap water from my apartment. Been doing so for 3 years. No recognizable link to being sick. I pour it into water bottles and cool them in the fridge.

Not to be dramatic but just because you haven't gotten sick doesn't mean the water isn't doing longer term damage to your body. Cancer for example, takes years to show up and often without any symptoms.

"Tap water quality in Thailand exceeds all international standards"

Perhaps providing a source to back up this claim might help your credibility.

And if you need any further convincing, just look back at past news reports where where independent testing of both public water dispensing machines and even bottled water sold in stores has found significant portions of both supplies being unhealthy....

attachicon.gifWater Quality in Thailand Vending Machines.jpg

If you can't even trust the commercial bottles water supplies, how much can you trust the tap water supplies?

Read it again. That report was not referring in any way to bottled water, neither was it suggesting that the source of impurities or bacteria was the mains water feeding the machines.

I can read just fine... But you apparently cannot, since you either didn't see or chose to ignore the second post I made just after that one above specifically re bottled water contamination. So, I'll repost it again here.

BANGKOK, 23 March 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health is making sure drinking water sold in Thailand is clean, as around a million Thais become sick from consuming contaminated water each year.

Public Health Minister Dr. Ratchata Ratchatanawin is having all drinking water available in the market tested for bacteria and heavy metals.

Most of the drinking water products that failed the test last year were found to contain bacteria. Other samples reportedly contained particles and had a metallic taste.

Only 33% of them were deemed consumable and harmless to humans.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-03-23 footer_n.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Actually it depends entirely on your pipes. If they are old, there may be some leaching of heavy metals into the water (if you get rust-like stains in sink or tub, that's a sign).

You can easily get a filter that attaches to the water tap if concerned on this score.

As others have noted, microbes (bacteria etc) are not an issue...unless the pipes under the ground are worn to the point that there is some ground seepage going in.

"You can easily get a filter that attaches to the water tap if concerned on this score."

Interesting. Where is it that you can buy a toxic heavy metal filter? If these clever devices really were available there wouldn't be any need for concern, surely?

You do not know such residential water filtration system exists? Some heavy metals are easy to remove, so you can eliminate 99.9% of them with the machine. Some are harder to remove, but still you can get rid much of them. That's a huge difference!

Edited by thailanddnaliaht

Well... Looks like I'm the only one on TVF who daily drinks tap water from my apartment. Been doing so for 3 years. No recognizable link to being sick. I pour it into water bottles and cool them in the fridge.

I drink it, too Stan, and a couple of others mentioned that they also drink it, so you're not alone. I don't cool it in the fridge, though, I can't stand cold water.

I'm not against people choosing not to drink straight tap water, I just think people should re-think what they believe about the water.

I totally love your profile pic. Cracks me up every time I see it.

10 years or so ago The World Health Org declared Bangkok tap water safe to drink. Hey & maybe on that day it was, but you cannot trust people to do the right thing in thailand , if there's a dollar to be made some under paid workers will make a dollar

• 2 years later...

How many other cities of the world provide real time computer access to water quality at various locations?  Water from main feed lines in Bangkok is safe to drink and has been for decades - but many people will indeed filter at point of use - but as said that can be a two way sword if filters are not maintained.  

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1