Dog Attacks

Seismic

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok in Bang Phli, Recently stray / aggressive dogs have become something of a problem here.

I see that in UK/USA pepper spray repellent is being increasingly marketed towards People to defend against aggressive dogs.

Anyone know where I can buy a good name brand spray repellent to send dogs running, Something like "Halt! Dog Repellant Spray"

I just had to take a course of rabies shots after a sneak attack by a hungry pooch.

Preferably something with a 10' spray distance and good for 8-10 shots.

41GxI-ggzUL.jpg

regards

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good sturdy umbrella works good to. Take one with you on walks and give em a smack or jam it down their throat or spring it open to keep between you and the dog. Most Soi dogs when confronted in this manner are startled and will take off. You loose time fumbling for a spray can. You can also buy those electronic gizzmo's on Ebay but if the dog is deaf your in trouble.

Edited by elgordo38

You can make your own pepper spray by boiling up chillies and mixing with a vegetable oil and putting it into a spray bottle. However i would recommend you experiment with the recipe first as you only want to warn off the dogs, not cause extreme pain or cruelty to the dog/s .

20% of the soi dogs in Bangkok carry rabies...or so sayeth the internet......I researched it after learning about an American guy who got rabies in Pattaya....Also they say 10% of tourists get bit........

I couldn't care less if Pepper-spray is illegal here or not, those stray dogs r a nuisance and a health threat not only here in Thailand but as well in Myanmar, Cambodia or Bali. Whenever I am back to my home country, I am getting myself some pepper spray if I have run out of supply or it is past the expiry date.

Take it with me to anywhere in Asia, so far, on approx. intra-Asian 300 flights over the past decade, never ever any customs cared or questioned me. Will continue that way

The best prevention is to lose your fear of dogs and work with dogs. Dogs can smell your fear and if they think you are weaker than they are, they will attack to show you who's boss. Sorry to say this, but you have to man up and grow some balls, because the best defense weapon, spray, whatever will most possibly not help or not be at your disposal when you need it. You have to show the dog that you are the Alpha male! Usually, dogs approach me and are submissive without me having to do anything. Was attacked just one time by a completely crazed Thai neighborhood pit bull that was in chains 24/7 and somehow managed to free himself. I was on my bike and just had taken my helmet off which I used as weapon and gave him a good smack on the head, and off he went screaming like a girl... If you show fear, you're done. Same goes with sharks. I've been diving amidst hundreds of hammerheads, alone! Still alive, because I wasn't afraid of them and because I love them.

Check this: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/are-you-afraid-of-dogs

and this: http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Dogs

or ask Mr. Google smile.png Wishing you best of luck!!!

20% of the soi dogs in Bangkok carry rabies...or so sayeth the internet......I researched it after learning about an American guy who got rabies in Pattaya....Also they say 10% of tourists get bit........

Nonsense! I've been to Thailand as a tourist sooooo many times (for almost 18 years), and not once has a dog (soi or otherwise) given me a bite. Yes, they have barked at me (sometimes in packs), but all you have to do is show them that you are in control (and hence, the master).

Fearful souls will always feel victimized. They will also believe hearsay on the internet, and also become a victim of misinformation.

I always preferred Remington 870 12 gauge 3 inch chamber. Works wonders. Nearby Pueblo Indians (I worked adjoining at New Mexico State Monument)gave me permission to duck hunt their land in return for killing all the feral dogs I saw. They were after the cattle and had brought some down. 300 Win Mag was a bit of overkill but worked great at long range. Then again there use here would be just a tad bit illegal. I throw rocks at every dog that comes by my house. There is a serious dog problem in our subdivision with the influx of newly minted middle class Thais that just let their dogs run loose. They are not supposed to be loose. They are packing up and chasing children. Kept young son up a wall the other day for 30 minutes last week, saw them chasing after 2 very young girls on bicycles a couple of days ago and they came after a friend of mine on his bicycle. Once they get one of those kids down or even just draw blood there won't be any stopping them. If the owner doesn't do something, somebody is going to do something, legal or not.

I think pepper spray is illegal and police have targeted vendors of it. Some years ago I had a pepper spray bought in a market. It probably saved me from being attacked by a pack of about 10 soi dogs when I was out jogging one. I sprayed at them but it came out in a single jet and missed all of them. The good thing was that either the noise or smell seemed to put them off and they scarpered giving me enough time to leg it in the opposite direction. I tried to buy some more online as I finished the whole can in that incident but none of the Thai sellers were selling any more online or offline.

It's possible that spraying something else like insecticide or air freshner might do the trick, if you can't find any pepper spray, which could land you an offensive weapons rap in Thailand. Any spray should only be used on dogs, if you genuinely believe you are about to suffer a nasty attack. Pepper spray can certainly be very harmful to them, if it gets in their eyes. Nowadays I just carry a stout stick with me in canine bandit country. I have seen off quite a few potential attackers just by waiving it at them. I protect my own dog with a rattan cane. I have found it most effective to whoosh the cane a fraction in front of the ongoing canine's nose, if the threat of the stick doesn't make it back off. That seems to work better than actually hitting it, which I have had to do once or twice. I learned from a game ranger in Africa that you have to have a line in the sand to protect yourself and clients. e.g. if a lion doesn't back off and comes within 10 feet, you have to be ready to shoot it. If a snarling dog comes within 3 feet of my dog, it gets a swipe in front of the nose. If that doesn't work I will hit the dog as hard as I can, wherever I can to protect my dog. Luckily all dogs have backed off without injury to themselves or others. The most scary situation is the dog pack situation I mentioned earlier. I am sure I would have ended up in the hospital if I hadn't had the spray or at least a stout stick.

Nonsense! I've been to Thailand as a tourist sooooo many times (for almost 18 years), and not once has a dog (soi or otherwise) given me a bite. Yes, they have barked at me (sometimes in packs), but all you have to do is show them that you are in control (and hence, the master).

Fearful souls will always feel victimized. They will also believe hearsay on the internet, and also become a victim of misinformation.

Thanks for that, next time a 200lb rottweiler is chewing my leg I'll try to remember that.

Whenever dogs start growling and snarling at me. I quickly turn on them and give it back to them 10 fold....they usually cower off looking over their shoulders for support from their friends while they're in reverse. I was told as a child that dogs easily get the scent of fear....so I show none.

I always preferred Remington 870 12 gauge 3 inch chamber. Works wonders. Nearby Pueblo Indians (I worked adjoining at New Mexico State Monument)gave me permission to duck hunt their land in return for killing all the feral dogs I saw. They were after the cattle and had brought some down. 300 Win Mag was a bit of overkill but worked great at long range. Then again there use here would be just a tad bit illegal. I throw rocks at every dog that comes by my house. There is a serious dog problem in our subdivision with the influx of newly minted middle class Thais that just let their dogs run loose. They are not supposed to be loose. They are packing up and chasing children. Kept young son up a wall the other day for 30 minutes last week, saw them chasing after 2 very young girls on bicycles a couple of days ago and they came after a friend of mine on his bicycle. Once they get one of those kids down or even just draw blood there won't be any stopping them. If the owner doesn't do something, somebody is going to do something, legal or not.

You are definitely not allowed to shoot dogs in Thailand, even if you have a legally registered shotgun. The new animal welfare law provides stiffer penalties for cruelty to animals than the penal code does for common assault against humans which normally gets only a 500 baht fine. However, I understand what you mean about some Thai families just opening the gate and letting their not very friendly dogs loose for exercise and soiling the village or neighbouring streets without a care. We have a problem with a dog owned by a neighbour who also happens to be a US trained vet with a doctorate and owns a local veterinary clinic. She lets a fierce half Bangkaew dog (a Thai breed known for its fierceness towards strangers) run loose and it has bitten children and savaged other dogs and once tried to get me and my dog late at night. Luckily I chased it off with a stick and by throwing stones at it. I even saw it go after two overweight policemen on a motor bike, which was actually a hysterical sight watching the pillion rider look over his shoulder and urging the driver to go faster. Following numerous complaints to the village management by myself and other householders, the dog is more under control now but can still sometimes be seen wandering around alone. Some people can get all the overseas education imaginable and still remain irresponsible and stupid.

I carry a broken broom stick about 3 feet long and it works great. You have to stand your ground , get big and swing that stick, and make a lot of noise. The leader is the only one with the guts to confront you and he will back down. Do not turn your back on the dog stand and face him.

I've been biten twice: once on my bike and once on foot. Now if I am going in area where there are dogs, I pick up a few small rocks just in case. A well placed throw at them gets them running away. Just cocking arm back is often enough (perhaps previous experience with Thais?). Forget tossing them something to chase. They want to chase you. I believe in treating dogs gently, but sometimes you first have to get their attention.

You can make your own pepper spray by boiling up chillies and mixing with a vegetable oil and putting it into a spray bottle. However i would recommend you experiment with the recipe first as you only want to warn off the dogs, not cause extreme pain or cruelty to the dog/s .

Wow! No animals were hurt (in this experiment of mine) statement on your video showing the success you had? biggrin.png

But I like your thinking.

Thanks for that, next time a 200lb rottweiler is chewing my leg I'll try to remember that.

smile.png You did not show you were the "master" quick enough!

I do agree with Gumball, as over the years in various places around the world I have been menaced by a dog or two, and showing them you're the boss and not afraid (and I think they can sense fear) they have all backed down. They hate being held in eye to eye contact also. I always tried that one on my German Shepherd (she wasn't menacing me - just a game) and she always gave up first. But, your mileage may vary and good luck.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by lvr181

The best prevention is to lose your fear of dogs and work with dogs. Dogs can smell your fear and if they think you are weaker than they are, they will attack to show you who's boss. Sorry to say this, but you have to man up and grow some balls, because the best defense weapon, spray, whatever will most possibly not help or not be at your disposal when you need it. You have to show the dog that you are the Alpha male!

The problem with that theory (lunacy, really) is that you can't turn off fear- nor do you want to. It's the first step in the fight or flight process, which saved millions of our ancestors from being eaten.

I may turn that fear into running away, or may turn it into some whoop-ass on the dog. But make no mistake, it all starts with a healthy dose of fear and no amount of "manning up" is going to change millions of years of evolution.

My balls may be small, but they won't get bit off when I'm "working with" a soi dog who just got beaten by the last guy he saw that I remind him of... In fact, the only times I've been tagged here in Thailand (and China) is when I allowed a friendly looking pooch to come closer with the thought of befriending them. They were fine until they got about a foot away, then they turned on me.

Edited by impulse

Just rocked a dog that was after a child. I missed but dog ran like hell. Bad rotator cuff, VA wanted to repair years ago. I said no thanks, but every now and then I side arm one in. Very few refuse to run but there are a couple around here. I had 2 instances when a large mutt wouldn't let my children down the street, growled, bared teeth and started after them. They were right close to the house and made it back with the dog in pursuit. Then it wanted me when I confronted it, gate was open and it started in growling and baring it's teeth at me. I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed the spectacle of farang ba chasing the dog down the street with a knife, yea I carry and yes I know illegal. I will defend my family.

Buy a packet of SMACKO'S and keep a few with you in a plastic bag (so the smell wont attract the dogs) If any mut comes toward you toss him a SMACKO. This will give you ample time to make your escape. Personally I use an umbrella and yes umbrella's can kill.

You can easily make your dog repelant spray by chopping up a few chillies and putting them into some vinegar. After a day put the vinegar through a strainer and pour the vinegar into a spray bottle. Set for a small circunference spary and you can usually shoot a stream of vinegar at their face up to 3-4 meters awy. The stinging of their face or eyes will deter even the most verocious dog. I have been in Thailand for 18 years and have seen many people bitten by dogs. One dog that entered our property often managed to bite 7 people in 10 days. I finally captured her and put her down as she seemed to like doing it and wasn't scared of humans. I don't care what the dog lovers say if a dog attacks me or my family or children I will spray it or kill it and not losea minute of sleep over it.

We went for a bike ride with our dogs on leashes and it seemed ever 500 m some dog or stray dog ran out barking and chased after our dogs.

I rode in the rear and whenever dogs approached I blocked their way with my bike sideways, looked them right in the eyes and yelled at them to <deleted> back off to their own house. Every single one turned tail and ran.

After the first set of dogs I picked up some rocks. That was plan B. Plan C was to run them over and if they tried to attack me, a swift kick to the throat. Plan A worked fine though.

A strained purée of Thai peppers in water with a little vinegar and a hint of ammonia in a high quality squirt gun should repel any unwanted approaches by unfriendly dogs.

Also, most dogs run away if you even pretend to throw something at them.

Combining ammonia and vinegar in a dog repellent is not effective. Ammonia is basic, vinegar is acidic ( acetic acid ). So mixing them will result in ammonium acetate, fairly innocuous. Have either one OR the other, not both.