Dog Attacks

Seismic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make your own pepper spray by boiling up chillies and mixing with a vegetable oil and putting it into a spray bottle. However i would recommend you experiment with the recipe first as you only want to warn off the dogs, not cause extreme pain or cruelty to the dog/s .

Haha, now we're being asked to retain animal experimentation, just reversed. Don't forget to quantify your own pain response by assigning it a value from 0 to 10. Yes, we know it's difficult to be the experimenter and the subject; just do your best.

Buy a packet of SMACKO'S and keep a few with you in a plastic bag (so the smell wont attract the dogs) If any mut comes toward you toss him a SMACKO. This will give you ample time to make your escape. Personally I use an umbrella and yes umbrella's can kill.

Yes, I remember those television ads in the 90s—Umbrella's can kill. That, and the drink-driving campaign.

I had a spray sometime ago. I only used it once to ward off three dogs. It was useless. The problem is that the spray disperses to next to nothing in much less than a meter and if there's any breeze at all it gets carried away by it. By the time an aggressive dog gets close enough for you to use the spray effectively you're already in far too much trouble. The best defense seems to be a long lightweight stick (a meter or so - bamboo is good and readily available) with a slightly sharpened end, for jabbing - can be used for clubbing too but jabbing is far more effective.

Most soi dogs will back off at the mere sight of a stick.

The best prevention is to lose your fear of dogs and work with dogs. Dogs can smell your fear and if they think you are weaker than they are, they will attack to show you who's boss. Sorry to say this, but you have to man up and grow some balls, because the best defense weapon, spray, whatever will most possibly not help or not be at your disposal when you need it. You have to show the dog that you are the Alpha male! Usually, dogs approach me and are submissive without me having to do anything. Was attacked just one time by a completely crazed Thai neighborhood pit bull that was in chains 24/7 and somehow managed to free himself. I was on my bike and just had taken my helmet off which I used as weapon and gave him a good smack on the head, and off he went screaming like a girl... If you show fear, you're done. Same goes with sharks. I've been diving amidst hundreds of hammerheads, alone! Still alive, because I wasn't afraid of them and because I love them.

Check this: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/are-you-afraid-of-dogs

and this: http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Dogs

or ask Mr. Google smile.png Wishing you best of luck!!!

Thanks for the amazing insight...I have grown up with and around dogs all my life, My parents bred dogs both large and small. I have my own dogs. I think i have a little more knowledge of dogs than you do. I dont have a fear of dogs, But sometimes they dont have a fear of people on Bicycles, that is because they dont equate the bicycle rider with a walking two legged human. I usually get off the bike and stand my ground, that generally does the trick, However in this case I wasnt quick enough...possibly due to my advanced years. There are also always some dogs who have not read the articles you so helpfully pointed me to, In which case, lets get back to the pepper spray and stop trying to show how big our meat and two veg are eh !!

With a battery, a momentary pushbutton, a small reservoir, a windshield washer pump hooked with a hose to a nozzle off a garden sprayer on your rear fender , you could make a pretty sweet pepper spray mister that would make a cloud that no dog would be interested in running through.

55 you should not be frightened. rabies is NOT 20% here in BBK but out in Isan and south and NE. I suggest carry some chicken and when you feel threatened feed the perpetrator and it will becoem a lifelong friend., and the diog will protect you too. dont be frightened as dogs have loud voice but no bite

People here are so strong...

There was a story 2 years ago about a Thai guy who has been attacked by 10 of these dogs in Chiang Mai...they had to cut his arm to save him after that.

I also have the same problem in Lopburi.

Sure when these dogs are just 1 or 2 it's not really a problem, but believe me, when they start to be 5 or more, it's not the same story at all as they feel much more confident.

After this problem, I bought a tazer torch but never have to use it.

Legal or not I really don't care. I'm not attacking them, just want to be able to protect myself that's it.

A good sturdy umbrella works good to. Take one with you on walks and give em a smack or jam it down their throat or spring it open to keep between you and the dog. Most Soi dogs when confronted in this manner are startled and will take off. You loose time fumbling for a spray can. You can also buy those electronic gizzmo's on Ebay but if the dog is deaf your in trouble.

A sturdy five foot section of 2 in diameter bamboo walking stick works nicely.

I often walk through a couple of packs of dogs most every day....at first they all growl and bark and act like they want to attack me. I basically ignored them except when one charged would reach down as if to throw something and they took off.

Then I started bringing them some kind of food treats. Usually just a slice of bread or something that i would break up into severl pieces and scatter around so they would all head for a piece of bread. After a couple of days of giving them treats they became my "buddies" and would run to meet me when they saw me coming to see what I might have for them to eat. Never had any problems with them after that except when I didn't bring any food they would sulk and give me sad eye looks.

You can make your own pepper spray by boiling up chillies and mixing with a vegetable oil and putting it into a spray bottle. However i would recommend you experiment with the recipe first as you only want to warn off the dogs, not cause extreme pain or cruelty to the dog/s .

Particular the one that bit you and caused you to endure rabies shots.

Can't you complain about this pack of dogs and get them rounded up and shipped to Sakon Nakhon?

Edited by jacko45k

An alternative is to pretend to throw something, as most dogs will instinctively go in pursuit of what they think you have thrown.

will not work with a rabid dog or an aggressive one, just the ones scared of you anyway. The dog problem is a big one, nothing done about it like all the other problems here.

Edited by jacky54

Why not? they want to inflict pain on you,do it properly than they won't do it to you again thumbsup.gif

I often walk through a couple of packs of dogs most every day....at first they all growl and bark and act like they want to attack me. I basically ignored them except when one charged would reach down as if to throw something and they took off.

Then I started bringing them some kind of food treats. Usually just a slice of bread or something that i would break up into severl pieces and scatter around so they would all head for a piece of bread. After a couple of days of giving them treats they became my "buddies" and would run to meet me when they saw me coming to see what I might have for them to eat. Never had any problems with them after that except when I didn't bring any food they would sulk and give me sad eye looks.

Hey you are doing the right thing. the dogs probably feel threathened buy your presence. I got bit by 2 so called friendly dogs (friends dogs) but now after I feed and pat them they are my best friends

you all are so lucky.. in my moo baan, careless thais let their agressive dog go for a piss & shit everywhere and are not shy of showing their teeth or chasing you, very nice when you go for a walk with your kids

but i told my kids to stay behind me and not show fear and certainly not run, as they would be a target

trying to be the alpha male of my pack (kids) , i confront the dog if it comes to close and we slowly walk backwards and see if we can find a lose stick or anything to fend them off

You can find pepper spray on the Sukhumvit streets but probably good for only 1 or 2 shots. It will be hard to find a good brand. You can make your own and put it in a pressurize garden spray which can be pumped up shoot pretty far. Not sure how you plan on carrying it.

Great idea, after the first use the bottle would be impossible to hold properly because of the misted oil settling on the sprayer.

How would you experiment, would you ask for volunteer dogs to tell you whether the spray was just right or too painful?

An alternative is to pretend to throw something, as most dogs will instinctively go in pursuit of what they think you have thrown.

Yeah, right, how many dogs in the process of an attack of some description are actually thinking about a game of fetch?

The best prevention is to lose your fear of dogs and work with dogs. Dogs can smell your fear and if they think you are weaker than they are, they will attack to show you who's boss. Sorry to say this, but you have to man up and grow some balls, because the best defense weapon, spray, whatever will most possibly not help or not be at your disposal when you need it. You have to show the dog that you are the Alpha male! Usually, dogs approach me and are submissive without me having to do anything. Was attacked just one time by a completely crazed Thai neighborhood pit bull that was in chains 24/7 and somehow managed to free himself. I was on my bike and just had taken my helmet off which I used as weapon and gave him a good smack on the head, and off he went screaming like a girl... If you show fear, you're done. Same goes with sharks. I've been diving amidst hundreds of hammerheads, alone! Still alive, because I wasn't afraid of them and because I love them.

Check this: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/are-you-afraid-of-dogs

and this: http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Dogs

or ask Mr. Google smile.png Wishing you best of luck!!!

a crazy pittbul doesn't give a hoot about your helmet and won't run

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok in Bang Phli, Recently stray / aggressive dogs have become something of a problem here.

I see that in UK/USA pepper spray repellent is being increasingly marketed towards People to defend against aggressive dogs.

Anyone know where I can buy a good name brand spray repellent to send dogs running, Something like "Halt! Dog Repellant Spray"

I just had to take a course of rabies shots after a sneak attack by a hungry pooch.

Preferably something with a 10' spray distance and good for 8-10 shots.

41GxI-ggzUL.jpg

regards

be sure to spray against the wind direction

This is effective and will set you back for only 128 baht.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251749910018&alt=web

Bought one and they only work on some dogs, on others it makes them irritable and more aggressive. Dogs get used to them after a while and take no notice, stick is better

Agreed! It has no effect on my GSD's and Pitbull after one week, but still is effective towards the soi dogs.

Probably due to infrequent contact with them.

Cheerios

You can order from eBay.

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok in Bang Phli, Recently stray / aggressive dogs have become something of a problem here.
I see that in UK/USA pepper spray repellent is being increasingly marketed towards People to defend against aggressive dogs.
Anyone know where I can buy a good name brand spray repellent to send dogs running, Something like "Halt! Dog Repellant Spray"
I just had to take a course of rabies shots after a sneak attack by a hungry pooch.
Preferably something with a 10' spray distance and good for 8-10 shots.
41GxI-ggzUL.jpg

regards

be sure to spray against the wind direction