Apply for retirement visa in Pattaya

I am 59yo Australian, receive a pension, and deposit about 60k Baht per month into my Thai bank account.

I am in Thailand on a visa exempt stay for a month.

Can I apply for the multi-entry non-immigration 1-year retirement visa while in Thailand?

If so, what documents do I really need (besides the application form) - I seem to recall reading something somewhere about how it can be done, and with less paperwork than if done from my home country's embassy/consulate.

(I know this topic is covered in bits and pieces in various threads, but I found them to be very long and somewhat confusing discussions).

If you are talking about the O/A visa it can only be applied for and issued in your country of residence.

You will need to be able to demonstrate the equivalent of 800,000 Bht in the bank or an income of 65,000/month

Edited by nowretired

You can apply for a Non Imm Visa if it is part of an application for a 12 month extension of stay for retirement.

Apply in Bangkok.

You need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

Or 65,000 Baht monthly income.

Or a combination of both.

You can then apply for the 12 month extension.

EDIT:

You might be able to do it in Pattaya but they will pass your application onto Bangkok.

Yes the OP is qualified for the two-step method.

Step 1 is CONVERSION to 90 day O visa.

This must be done in Jomtien (who will send to Bangkok).

Reports here are that Bangkok now will reject applications directly from those whose local office is Jomtien.

Step 2 generally done during the last 30 days of the 90 day visa is the application for annual extension based on retirement.

Financial evidence needed for BOTH applications.

Combo method: Embassy letter of income plus Thai bank account letter totaling over 800K annually.

Rentry permits are SEPARATE applications.

You can get a multiple entry one or buy single ones as needed (including at airport).

When extension granted no need to leave Thailand for a full year. 90 day address reports are required whenever in Thailand for 90 days.

You probably mean you want an extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa.

You'd need to do a conversion to a non-imm O entry first. You can probably do that at Jomtien, but they would accept the application and forward it to Bangkok for you.

Then during the last 30 days of that entry you could apply for the extension of stay at Jomtien. You'd need Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank or proof of a minimum of Baht 65 000 a month in the form of an affidavit from your embassy or a combination of the two.

Edited by Suradit69

If you're only on a 30 day stamp you need to RUSH to get this started.

It takes a lot of time to process through Bangkok.

It could be you're too late already.

You will need an embassy income letter from your home country embassy, I'm thinking perhaps TWO of them (there are two applications) which probably means traveling to Bangkok just to get the letter(s).

The letters are good for six months.

There is no requirement actually to import the income into Thai accounts ... you just need the income proven with the embassy income letters.

But it's under 65K per month, thus you need the combo method to make up the difference.

For example,

Income letter showing 720K annually

Bank account 200K

Over 800K ... sorted

The bank portion is verified with a REQUIRED immigration letter from your Thai bank. It should be done right before applications, for example the previous day, and the balance on the letter should match the balance in your savings passbook.

If you're too late for the conversion with your current 30 day stamp there are other options.

Enter again on a new 30 days stamp and get it started.

(OR)

get a tourist visa in Malaysia or Laos (will need conversion to O in Thailand)

(OR)

Get a single entry O in Penang or Vientienne (will need to prove financials for that too)

If you get a single entry O in a neighboring country, your only needed step then will be the application for annual retirement extension done in the last 30 days of the 90 day stay.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I am in a similar situation as the OP.

I have a 60 day tourist visa but unfortunately I have to return to work in Middle East on the 16th August.

I am applying in Bangkok for the Non Imm O which is then to be used to apply for the 12 month extension based on retirement. (I meet the requirements of age and funds in bank)

I am using the services of one of the 'Siam...........' law firms who say they can have the conversions done in a matter of 2-3 days. (Due to my having to return to the ME early August)

They have also said that I complete all the forms at their office and then I do not need to go myself.

Does this sound right? They are charging 43,000 baht all in (including multi-exit) for the 'expedited' service (I'm ok with the cost if it is done fast)

Is it legal though getting this done so quickly and me not having to attend in person?

Note the email reply from the Law firm below:

Good day!

Please see the documents you have to bring to the office on Monday July 20th at 10AM:

1. Passport

2. Departure Card (usually stapled in your passport)

3. 3 passport size photos with white background

4. Original Bank book (we will get the letter from the bank together with our staff)

5. 43,000 baht total fee (to be collected in cash)

6. Proof of address such as rental agreement or utility bill (for the certificate of residence)

Is it legal though getting this done so quickly and me not having to attend in person?

It is legal but you can also try to obtain a non-imm 'O' visa in the country where you work, or in Laos, or do the conversion by yourself next time, saving approx Bt 40,000. You do not gain anything doing it now.

To the OP.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry but you can apply for a 30 day extension of your entry and then make the application, It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa and entry stamps.

You will need a completed TM87 form with an attached 4cm X 6cm photo attached to apply for the visa.

The financial proof needed is 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

To prove income you will need to do statutory declaration at the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

If you income is only 60k baht monthly you would need at least 80k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply for the visa and extension. The money in the bank would be proven by a letter from the confirming you balance and your bank book.

After getting the visa entry you can then apply for an extension of stay. You will need the same financial proof.

I have a 60 day tourist visa but unfortunately I have to return to work in Middle East on the 16th August.

You can save yourself a good deal of money by doing it yourself.

How long will you be out of the country when you leave on the 16th of August?

If less than about 60 days you could apply for a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry for a fee of 2000 baht.. You will get the visa and 90 day entry stamp 15 days from when you apply.

As soon as you get the stamps you would apply for a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) that would keep the 90 day entry valid when you return and then you could apply the extension of stay based upon retirement (1900 baht fee). After you get the extension you would apply for a multiple re-entry permit that costs 3800 baht.

To apply for the visa and extension you need 800k baht in a Thai bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You would prove the 65k baht income by getting a income letter from your embassy. Dependent upon what country you are from you could use your income from your work outside the country to meet the income requirement.

If money in the bank it would only need to be in the bank on the date you apply for the visa and then when you apply for the extension it would need to be there for 60 days.

As far as the remainder of your post. If you do not have the money in the bank yourself and/or it has not been there for 60 days the application that has been proposed to you by the law firm would be at the least fraudulent.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you very much for your considered and comprehensive reply.

Based in Qatar, the Thai Embassy only issues Non Imm O based on marriage. I am retiring to Thailand commencing January but wanted to start getting all of my 'ducks in a row'

I also need to renew my 5 year car and bike licences which expired 2 months ago. After that I go to Chiang Mai to visit friends, hence the rush before returning to Qatar early August.

The money is mine from overseas and has been in Kasikorn bank for 5 years + (I previously worked in Bangkok)

I just wanted to check that it was legal that I don't have to attend Immigration and that it is not unknown for the whole process to take only 2 or 3 days.

Once again, many thanks.

It is legal but you can also try to obtain a non-imm 'O' visa in the country where you work, or in Laos, or do the conversion by yourself next time, saving approx Bt 40,000. You do not gain anything doing it now.

Thx for replying. Time constraints etc, hence my rush. :-)

Hi Ubonjoe,

Based in Qatar, the Thai Embassy only issues Non Imm O based on marriage. I am retiring to Thailand commencing January but wanted to start getting all of my 'ducks in a row'

I also need to renew my 5 year car and bike licences which expired 2 months ago. After that I go to Chiang Mai to visit friends, hence the rush before returning to Qatar early August.

The money is mine from overseas and has been in Kasikorn bank for 5 years + (I previously worked in Bangkok)

I just wanted to check that it was legal that I don't have to attend Immigration and that it is not unknown for the whole process to take only 2 or 3 days.

Once again, many thanks.

If the money is already in the bank the 43k baht fee for what they will be doing is excessive. That is what they charge if they provide the financial proof. I would say about 5000 baht above the fees would be normal.

The 2 or 3 days is not normal. It would normally be at least 45 days before you could apply for the extension. It is normally 15 days to get the visa/entry stamp after applying and then 45 days from that date to apply for the extension at Bangkok immigration.

You can apply for a Non Imm Visa if it is part of an application for a 12 month extension of stay for retirement.

Apply in Bangkok.

EDIT:

You might be able to do it in Pattaya but they will pass your application onto Bangkok.

It is processed in Jomtien (Pattaya)

Apply in Bangkok.

EDIT:

It is processed in Jomtien (Pattaya)

Do you have RECENT information to that effect?

Because that conflicts with the current information we've seen reported here.

Of course for many years this (CONVERSIONS to a 90 day O visa from 30 day stamp or tourist visa as part of the two step process) was done at Jomtien.

Then they suspended the service completely at Jomtien and people were told to do it in Bangkok.

Then reports that they were accepting the applications at Jomtien but processing through Bangkok which of course takes extra time.

Then later reports that local Pattaya office people were REQUIRED to do this through Jomtien (Bangkok not accepting Pattaya applications any more) but still processed through Bangkok.

NOW you are saying they are not sent to Bangkok.

So please expand on how it is that you can say that definitively.

Thanks.

Perhaps there is a typical TERMINOLOGY confusion here.

We were talking about doing a CONVERSION of a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a 90 day O visa.

Then the second step is annual retirement extensions.

Probably you're talking about retirement extensions which OF COURSE are processed at Jomtien and were not stopped as CONVERSIONS were.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sir I am Australian. I have done my retirement visa 6 times in Pattaya. Contact me direct and l will tell you exactly what needs to be done. In fact l am re doing mine in 3 weeks.

Do you really have a "visa" ?

Can you post a scan of this "visa" so we all can understand exactly what you have ?

• Like 1

Sir I am Australian. I have done my retirement visa 6 times in Pattaya. Contact me direct and l will tell you exactly what needs to be done. In fact l am re doing mine in 3 weeks.

Can you post a scan of this "visa" so we all can understand exactly what you have ?

Another great example of why using CORRECT TERMINOLOGY is so useful.

Of course Thai immigration offices do not issue "retirement visas" at all.

• Like 1

It can be done in Jomtien now. Perhaps Lite Beer has not kept up with latest news. See my post at #9.

They are sent to Bangkok for approval.

The first report of them being able to do them was by a person that was turned away at Bangkok.

It can be done in Jomtien now. Perhaps Lite Beer has not kept up with latest news. See my post at #9.

They are sent to Bangkok for approval.

The first report of them being able to do them was by a person that was turned away at Bangkok.

Yes I agree with all that but now we have another poster who seemed to be saying the CONVERSIONS were done directly at Jomtien and not processed through Bangkok.

I just didn't want the OP to get confused about that as it does take MORE TIME for the application (CONVERSION) to go through Bangkok.

Now looking at the context, it seems certain the poster making that claim didn't understand we were talking about CONVERSIONS to O rather than annual extensions.

I just went through the whole process here in Thailand, doing it at Hua Hin's Immigration, and using a Visa Agent. I was happy to pay as I needed it done sooner than later and I wasn't in a position to personally attend Bangkok Immigration twice.

Here is the process. Met my VA at my local bank on Sunday 28th June where it was confirmed I had the required 800,000 baht in my bank account. It only arrived in the account 2 days before from Oz. Bank letters obtained.

The wife and I met the VA at HH Immigration the following morning. We are both on Tourist Visas and we both needed a 30 day extension by the 4th July, so this was taken care of. Also all of my paperwork was submitted for a Non O Visa and also a Multiple Re-Entry Permit. Paying all of the required visa fees and my VA's fee. Then advised I would be contacted in a couple of weeks the application had to be sent to BKK for approval.

Received a call on Sunday 19th July from my VA advising me to meet her at HH Immigration today (20th July) and to bring my passport. 30 mins later I was out of there with a few extra stamps and bits of paper in my passport. This includes a Non Imm Visa dated 29th June and has been stamped with 'Used' which I guess is valid for 3mths. I have also got The Extension of Stay (Retirement) stamp with an end date of 26th Sept 2016. Then there is also the Multiple Re-Entry stamp with the same 26th Sept 2016 end date. That will do me. Just have to sort the wife out now when we head overseas in a week or so.

I know there are plenty on here that disagree with using a VA, but it just made sense to me, and I can afford it. Obviously not for everyone' circumstances. Not sure what her actual fee was as I'm not sure of all the visa and re-entry permit fees. but I paid her about 28,000 baht and that included 2x Tourist Visa extensions, my Non Imm Visa, Extension and Multiple Re-Entry Permit. Someone else can do the math. Cheers.

To clarify the actual official national rules if using the 800K in Thai bank method.

For CONVERSIONS to 90 day O visa in Thailand -- seasoning of funds not needed because the seasoning will occur in time for the EXTENSION application

For annual extensions based on retirement -- TWO months seasoning required for first time application and THREE months all subsequent ones.

For combo method extension applications there is no seasoning required according to official rules, but sadly some provincial offices still require seasoning in such cases contrary to the rules.

I suppose using agents can "change" the official national rules. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I am applying in Bangkok for the Non Imm O which is then to be used to apply for the 12 month extension based on retirement. (I meet the requirements of age and funds in bank)

I am using the services of one of the 'Siam...........' law firms who say they can have the conversions done in a matter of 2-3 days. (Due to my having to return to the ME early August)

They have also said that I complete all the forms at their office and then I do not need to go myself.

Does this sound right? They are charging 43,000 baht all in (including multi-exit) for the 'expedited' service (I'm ok with the cost if it is done fast)

Good day!

Please see the documents you have to bring to the office on Monday July 20th at 10AM:

1. Passport

4. Original Bank book (we will get the letter from the bank together with our staff)

6. Proof of address such as rental agreement or utility bill (for the certificate of residence)

You are being seriously ripped off, get yourself to Pattaya, 18000 to 22000 baht depending on what agent you use.

Good day!

1. Passport

Good day!

1. Passport

Sorry about the my last post.all ga ga.

I lived in Thailand for a year going every month acroos the border. Without having to go abroad again I completed the application and obtained a retirement visa in 2007 and have been repeating the same process annually since then.

1. check with your embassy to establish whether they provida letter of affirmation re your income and the procedure for doing this.

Take this letter to your local immigration office along with passport, proof of address, do this yourself and save those outrageous legal fees.

Another great example of why using CORRECT TERMINOLOGY is so useful.

Of course Thai immigration offices do not issue "retirement visas" at all.

Hear hear to both nowretired and Jingthing!

I personally see little wrong in those who inaccurately refer to a "retirement visa" (as appears to be the case here) being likewise inaccurately informed that the only course of action open to them would be to travel to (e.g.) the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane, PDR Laos where they can obtain the nearest thing to one in the form of a fresh non-O visa!tongue.png

Edited by OJAS

I Am telling you all he has to go back home to Australia to do it I tried to do In thailand last you and was told can't be done in thailand so went home and did it and it is not that hard to do in Australia and the cost is about $350 Australia dollars and after he has it you can get it renew in thailand.

I Am telling you all he has to go back home to Australia to do it I tried to do In thailand last you and was told can't be done in thailand so went home and did it and it is not that hard to do in Australia and the cost is about $350 Australia dollars and after he has it you can get it renew in thailand.

Again with the terminology confusion.

O-A visas are only on offer in home countries. For you, Australia.

O visas for the purpose of later getting your first annual retirement extension in Thailand (and later ones indefinitely) can be obtained other ways.

For example in Penang or Vientienne.

O visas can ALSO be done IN THAILAND as a CONVERSION from 30 day stamp or tourist visa at some immigration offices (apparently processed through Bangkok now) or directly at Bangkok if your local office won't process through Bangkok.

What you were told "can't be done" is the O-A visa.

If you were told you can't get started in the retirement extension system in Thailand without an O-A visa, you were told false information and I can say that with full confidence.

Indeed you DO need to start with an O visa, but it does not need to be an O-A visa.

O-A visas are the only thing that can really legitimately called a "retirement visa" and again you do not EVER need an O-A / "retirement visa" to retire for life legally in Thailand (on retirement EXTENSIONS).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hi Ubonjoe,

Once again, many thanks.

If the money is already in the bank the 43k baht fee for what they will be doing is excessive. That is what they charge if they provide the financial proof. I would say about 5000 baht above the fees would be normal.

The 2 or 3 days is not normal. It would normally be at least 45 days before you could apply for the extension. It is normally 15 days to get the visa/entry stamp after applying and then 45 days from that date to apply for the extension at Bangkok immigration.

Hi Ubonjoe,

I attended Immigration at Chaeng Wattana today so this is my story.

First of all, I do appreciate the information given to me by yourself and I also thank the other posters for their comments.

I am on a very tight schedule so the results at immigration met my expectations.

I attended the Law Firms office at 9.00 am today (Monday) . Completed some documents and signed all the copies of passport, etc etc etc. That took about 30-35 mins.

Agent then took me to Immigration in a taxi (he paid) and arrived at 10.30 am. Downstairs to the Kasikorn Bank and a lady was obviously expecting him. Big wai and we went straight to her desk (apologies to the farangs already waiting)

2 x letters confirming funds in bank, bank book updated etc .....15 mins.

Back upstairs to Immigration. He disappeared for 5 mins and then came back and took me to one of the 'booths' (for conversion from tourist visa to Non Imm O) where an officer checked out the docs and then said ok. (Jumped a big queue apparently) Told to wait outside.

11.15 am (ish) .......taken by agent to the other booths for extensions. Jumped queue again (apparently) and met officer who took picture etc.

Agent says come back at 1.00 pm. Went for some lunch downstairs.

Back at 1.00 pm. Met agent who had my passport etc and we went to another booth for multi-exits. In and out in 5 mins.

Went to another booth and obtained 2 x Certificate of Residency (for my driving license renewals) although this took much much longer....20 mins

1.45 pm. I'm all done. Conversion from Tourist Visa to Non Imm O, extension for 12 months based on retirement, (15 months total) multi exit permit stamped in passport plus 2 x certificates of residency.

Agent will meet me again later today at 11.00 am (Tuesday) to 'hold my hand' while my 5 year licences for bike and car are renewed. He assures me it will take 45 min max.........based on the events of Monday, I believe him.

Sooooooo, total cost was 43,700 . Can it be done much cheaper? Yes of course it can but I couldn't have done it in the time frame that I have.

Besides, cost is relevant. 43,700 is expensive to someone on 100,000 a month I guess. I make much more than that so for me it is worth doing if it saves me a lot of time.

Once again, many thanks

• Like 1