Prayut lays down the law on water

webfact

What about a hose pipe ban? What about asking the public to collect rain water like they do in the country side? What about flushing the toilet only when you poo into it? Brush your teeth with a glass of water not with a tap running. These are advice given by other countries governments during water shortages. A little more research needed PM.

I have never seen a toilet in Thailand, similar to the ones used in Australia. These are all 'FULL' flush or 'HALF'' flush.

It saves a few hundred litres week per person and it all ads up.

It took water shortages to do this, and maybe now Thailand needs to look at this for all future installations.

Many houses in both suburbs and country in Australia have water tanks, some for their entire water supply, others have smaller flat tanks against walls, to supplement domestic water.

Talking of hosepipe bans as Wilsonandson suggests, this is the law in London. Car washing is by bucket only, and garden watering is with a watering can.

NO NO NO. Western thinking and solutions are not encouraged in Thailand. You "naughty" persons! coffee1.gif

I was going to suggest you wash your mouth out with soap and water but hardly the correct thing to do under the current circumstances. rolleyes.gif

Edit: Misspelling.

Edited by lvr181

I was driving down Soi 48 going to Rama 4 when I passed one of those water trucks we have all seen that water the plants/shrubs along the roads with a crew of the street sweeper ladies sweeping ahead and a guy from the truck with a firehose washing the street gutter. I mean a HUGH amount of water gushing from this hose. So... Like everything else here, ALL talk and NO action. Like with tourists, when it's all gone they will scratch thier heads and wonder what happened.

Actually it has been announced that all street cleaning etc is being done with water that is not part of the water treatment system. That was water that cannot be used for anything else...

Forget Hi Speed railways and Submarines, spend the money building a dozen or so huge desalination plants around Thailand's coast.

Not a bad plan, though its not often used and it will increase the cost of water for the poor. But i don't see it as a problem.. i get a water bill of 180 -250 bt or so per month. If that doubles or triples I wont loose any sleep over it. But the real poor..

And none of this rain is helping?

A few rainshowers here and there will barely make a dent in the problem. Most of the water is absorbed by the soil and/or evaporates. Only a small percentage will make it into the aquifers and rivers (where drinking water comes from).

If you are referring to whether it will help with the task of washing a car, then sure.

The aquifers and dam are full at Ubon now. :)

What about a hose pipe ban? What about asking the public to collect rain water like they do in the country side? What about flushing the toilet only when you poo into it? Brush your teeth with a glass of water not with a tap running. These are advice given by other countries governments during water shortages. A little more research needed PM.

or bricks in the toilet tank.

I do remember a long time ago when California was dealing with a serious drought. The lakes were empty.

They constructed in a very short time a pipeline from the Sierras (melting snow) to the SF Bay Area.

There still is the Meh Kong river.

I have never seen a toilet in Thailand, similar to the ones used in Australia. These are all 'FULL' flush or 'HALF'' flush.

It took water shortages to do this, and maybe now Thailand needs to look at this for all future installations.

Many houses in both suburbs and country in Australia have water tanks, some for their entire water supply, others have smaller flat tanks against walls, to supplement domestic water.

Talking of hosepipe bans as Wilsonandson suggests, this is the law in London. Car washing is by bucket only, and garden watering is with a watering can.

You need to look again - plenty of dual flush toilets available in Thailand.

You need to look again - plenty of dual flush toilets available in Thailand.

Well, I was talking about in HOUSES and MOST HOTELS. Not items for sale and no doubt not compulsory to fit water saver toilets anyway.

Just waiting for the annual rain ceremony blessing from the local Monks, maybe televised and therefore bless the whole country at the same time.

Maybe if the PM asks his mate Suthep to put in a special word with the Sangha...............

Edited by englishoak

Forget Hi Speed railways and Submarines, spend the money building a dozen or so huge desalination plants around Thailand's coast.

Not a bad idea. Now, how to get the water back up to the north, north east and central regions.

To run a single pipeline from BKK to Chiang Mai it will need to be about 800kms long. Roughly the same up to Nong Khai.

That is just 2 north/south runs.

How many pumping stations will be needed?

What would be the bore of the pipe?

How many km of pipelines would be needed to feed the east/west cities. towns, villages and moo bans?

How many pumping stations will be needed?

What would the bore of those pipes be?

Where would all the cement come from just to build the pipelines?

How much can a single desalination plant produce per day?

How many desalination plants would be needed?

Lastly, how much would it all cost both before (and after commisions)?

Just as an afterthoought, who would be responsible for the care and maintainence and the repairing of the leaky pipes?

Edited by billd766

I do remember a long time ago when California was dealing with a serious drought. The lakes were empty.

They constructed in a very short time a pipeline from the Sierras (melting snow) to the SF Bay Area.

There still is the Meh Kong river.

The problem with the Mekong river is that China has already put dams on it and Laos/Thailand are starting to do the same (in Laos).

What would happen if China decided to turn off the outflows for a year?

When all the fuss has died down and we have water too much. PM revise SONG KHRAN back to what it was before, put a halt to the waste in April before the rains fall so we have water enough left in the dams.

Too much shout after the mega abuse at water festival time.------------------or move it to OCTOBER.