Huge Loss Of Face

Savage

I have to say, although I didn't really like the guy and felt he had to go I do feel kinda sorry for the chap.

Imagine finding out when you're in the full frontal glare of the United nations. I would be gutted and with the Thai concept of face quite possibly suicidal.

Not a nice way to go out.

I have to say, although I didn't really like the guy and felt he had to go I do feel kinda sorry for the chap.

Imagine finding out when you're in the full frontal glare of the United nations. I would be gutted and with the Thai concept of face quite possibly suicidal.

why? He is surrounded by his buddies...dictators and tyrants that make up most of the united nations. Did you know that 111 of 181 countries in the U.N. support Iran in the whole nuclear issue? And that most of them think that Hezballah is a political party and that Israel shouldn't exist as a nation. And, most important to Thaskin, they rape their countries raw of money and resources.

why? He is surrounded by his buddies...dictators and tyrants that make up most of the united nations. Did you know that 111 of 181 countries in the U.N. support Iran in the whole nuclear issue? And that most of them think that Hezballah is a political party and that Israel shouldn't exist as a nation. And, most important to Thaskin, they rape their countries raw of money and resources.

As opposed to Bush and his buddies doing the raping? Say what you will, most people the world over still prefer their exploiters and tormentors to be homegrown that US-born. Look a bit closer to home buddy. :o

...as opposed to the rest that rape other countries raw of money and resources...

I do feel a little sorry for Taksin, as he probably believed he knew what was right for Thailand (and if he benefitted along the way, where's the harm? :o

In the end, though, he just started to believe his own hype and treated the country as if it was his own company.

The turning point for me was when there was discussion about buying Liverpool FC, after that how can you say you are running the country in the interests of the people...

In business you don't have to believe that more than half of your employees are right, in a political democracy, you must believe that more than half of the electorate are right, but more than that, you can't discard or ignore the ones who believe you are wrong!

AFAIK he would have been contacted this time (yet again, this being his 3rd chance this year to resign gracefully) and told that very shortly he would be wise to stand down himself or there would be consequences; ever the obstinent he ignored that warning at his peril.

Based even on the publically available information, it seemed that a person close to Ba Prem had actually implied that they felt he would stand down.

Imagine if he had been the bigger man and said that in the interests of true democracy, he felt it not appropriate to be leading a country when he and his family were under significant investigation for corruption, tax fraud etc etc. He would have returned a hero.

Maybe he has the wrong fortune teller these days.

Imagine if he had been the bigger man and said that in the interests of true democracy, he felt it not appropriate to be leading a country when he and his family were under significant investigation for corruption, tax fraud etc etc. He would have returned a hero.

I have maintained from the beginning that the smart play would have been for him to step aside for the reasons you suggest back in February, before dissolving Parliament. One of his TRT stooges would have then become prime minister and Mr. Big could have quietly pulled the strings from backstage, all the while looking the part of hero/political martyr.

:D I'm sorry the Thais and foreigners included that had to deal with him this long. New feeling today. positive air, weight lifted. :D

F-ck him and the horse he rode out on. Sorry is for mistakes - not what he has done.

:D

But I thought he made a "honest" mistake ? :o

Nothing like $2Bn in the bank to get over it... :o

Nothing like $2Bn in the bank to get over it... :o

Problem is a fair chunk of that dosh is still here, and now he isn't going to be protected by his henchmen.

The amount of dirt that is going to come out on him and his little gang is going to be huge once the gag on press is lifted.

Ovenman - you are so right; but unfortunately some people don't know when to stop. I happen to know that he has been warned that his fortune was prone to losing to the colour yellow, which is why he would wear a black jacket over the top of his yellow shirt (don't ask me how i know this); I have always considered fortune tellers to be full of it; maybe they were onto something?!

I have maintained from the beginning that the smart play would have been for him to step aside for the reasons you suggest back in February, before dissolving Parliament. One of his TRT stooges would have then become prime minister and Mr. Big could have quietly pulled the strings from backstage, all the while looking the part of hero/political martyr.

it plays somewhere between greek trajesty and gollum from 'lord of the rings,' dont it. if he'd accepted a little ding to his pride he'd still be running the show. quite a soap opera, but less violent than the average thai soap (so far).

Again I will say, that if I had to choose among Thaksin, Blair or Bush to run my business, I would choose Thaksin every time. In fact, I may have asked 20 people who they would choose and most don't answer, they just try to start up another topic. The rest, choose Thaksin.

I agree with 'Pakboong', who said, in post #18:

"Again I will say, that if I had to choose among Thaksin, Blair or Bush to run my business, I would choose Thaksin every time."

Thailand is now a ship in uncharted waters.

PAD will be cheering, because they will be expecting to run the country. But, unfortunately, electing incompetents (at running an economy) doesn't make them competent.

I have just finished reading the anti-Thaksin book: "Thaksin: The business of politics in Thailand". It goes on and on about Thaksin looking after his own interests, but the fact remains that he looked after Thailand's interests, too; and he did it far, far better than the previous administrations.

It may well come to pass that those who were paranoically anti-Thaksin may regret getting what they wished for.

I have just finished reading the anti-Thaksin book: "Thaksin: The business of politics in Thailand". It goes on and on about Thaksin looking after his own interests, but the fact remains that he looked after Thailand's interests, too; and he did it far, far better than the previous administrations.

i too thought that he was good for thailand , at least in the early part of his administration.

the healthcare scheme , whilst far from perfect , was a good start and will hopefully form the foundation of a decent public health service in the future. it may turn out to be his only legacy.

the past years though have been marked by his megalomaniac tendencies , drunkeness on power and wealth and his stubborn pride. his refusal to pay tax on the sale of his shin corp to temasek was a terrible miscalculation.

his time was up a year ago and like many leaders , he just hung around when he was no longer wanted or no longer capable.

the best interests of the country were overidden by his own interests.

he had an overriding majority outside bangkok , but you have to ask , if he hadnt bought and paid for that loyalty would it have been given.

i expect that the next government will be ousted by a similar coup in 10 years time.

Thaksin did what he had to do to get this country back on a path to prosperity after the late 90's economic problems. He has a strong sense of macro-economics and in the long haul will be sorely missed. He was very foreigner friendly but only to the degree necessary for the betterment of Thailand. He got rich because he was good at what he does, not because of corruption. The rural poor will elect someone just like him because they have the numbers and whoever they elect will likely not be the choice of the urban professionals who fought so hard to reclaim their rights to a higher place in the Thai economic food chain.

i too thought that he was good for thailand , at least in the early part of his administration.

the healthcare scheme , whilst far from perfect , was a good start and will hopefully form the foundation of a decent public health service in the future. it may turn out to be his only legacy.

the past years though have been marked by his megalomaniac tendencies , drunkeness on power and wealth and his stubborn pride. his refusal to pay tax on the sale of his shin corp to temasek was a terrible miscalculation.

his time was up a year ago and like many leaders , he just hung around when he was no longer wanted or no longer capable.

the best interests of the country were overidden by his own interests.

he had an overriding majority outside bangkok , but you have to ask , if he hadnt bought and paid for that loyalty would it have been given.

i expect that the next government will be ousted by a similar coup in 10 years time.

Wasn't OTOP his baby too? That seems to be going well.

Thaksin did what he had to do to get this country back on a path to prosperity after the late 90's economic problems. He has a strong sense of macro-economics and in the long haul will be sorely missed. He was very foreigner friendly but only to the degree necessary for the betterment of Thailand. He got rich because he was good at what he does, not because of corruption. The rural poor will elect someone just like him because they have the numbers and whoever they elect will likely not be the choice of the urban professionals who fought so hard to reclaim their rights to a higher place in the Thai economic food chain.

I liked Thaksin well enough until he dared to start complaining about "Influential Figures" that were hurting his administration. In Thailand, when that Influential Figure turns against you, it is time to reconsider what you are doing.

In fact, it is time to hit the road Jack! : :o

The influential figures were bigger than the obvious. Imagine having to balance the Muslim

ball in the south with the US, Britain and Israel not just looking over your shoulder but working against you on a daily basis. He had an impossible job and he played it about as well as he could. It is not going to get any easier for the next guy.

"Thaksin did what he had to do to get this country back on a path to prosperity after the late 90's economic problems. He has a strong sense of macro-economics and in the long haul will be sorely missed"

*** The countries of the region including Malaysia and Korea came back well just like Thailand. It simply took time for the problems to wash themselves through. Thaksin does not have any great macro-economic credentials.

"He was very foreigner friendly but only to the degree necessary for the betterment of Thailand. "

*** That is not "friendly." I do not think that anyone out there believes that Thaksin has any interest in our foreign ways of corporate governance, democracy or justice.

"He got rich because he was good at what he does, not because of corruption. "

*** During the General Suchinda administration, Thaksin received a monopoly to operate the mobile phone business here. He authorized the government to make a loan Burma $40 million to buy his satellite equipment. His son has the monopoly to sell advertising space on the subway. His sister and or daughter has a great little computer company that wins big government contracts."

"The rural poor will elect someone just like him because they have the numbers and whoever they elect will likely not be the choice of the urban professionals who fought so hard to reclaim their rights to a higher place in the Thai economic food chain.

*** The people of Bangkok did not want Thaksin out due to their desire to reclaim the their rights to a higher place in the Thai economic food chain. Thaksin was not paying taxes an supporting the rural poor. They want the return of freedom of speech without government interference in the newspapers, radio or television.