Thaksin Seeks Exile In London

sabaijai

THAKSIN SEEKS EXILE IN LONDON

Thaksin eyes London move While the premier is likely to fly to London from New York, his wife escapes the coup and manages to flee to Singaporen

Thaksin Shinawatra may fly from New York to London to ponder an exile there as it appears he has lost his political grip at home.

Sources said Thaksin, who has been overthrown by a military coup in 16 years, may fly to join his famฌily in London, where he owns a luxฌury real estate.

As last evening's coup took shape Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, the wife of the caretaker prime minisฌter, escaped to Singapore.

It was reported that the former Cabinet members of the Thaksin government may try to form a govฌernment in exile, prompting coup leader Gen Sonthi Boonyaklin to invite ambassadors and represenฌtatives of foreign countries in Bangkok for a meeting to clarify the situation.

It was not clear at press time this morning as to whether Thaksin has conceded power.

But any chances of his hope of regaining his power hinges upon a strong military backup, which he appears to have lost support.

Sources said Gen Ruengroj Mahasaranond, the supreme comฌmander, was placed in custody together with Pol Gen Chidchai Vanasatidya, deputy prime minister, as they tried to ward off the coup attempt last night.

Thaksin declared a state of emergency from New York by announcing the removal of Gen Sonthi and ordering him to answer to Chidchai at the PM's Office. He also appointed Gen Ruengroj as in charge of all security aspects in Bangkok.

But Thaksin's military supportฌers were subjugated. State televiฌsion this early morning aired a short video clip showing that Gen Sonthi with other heads of the armed forces made their way to the Chitralada Palace to brief His Majesty the King about the political situation.

It was reported that Gen Prem Tinsulanonda, the president of the Privy Council, had an audience with the King late last night as the coup was under way.

The coup effectively tore apart the 1997 Constitution, abolished the Constitution Court, dissolved Parliaments and the Cabinet.

Gen Sonthi has emerged as Thailand's most powerful magnate at the moment. Thaksin was still in New York last evening and was scheduled to give an address at the UN General Assembly to discuss the current criฌsis in Thailand. But the event was somehow cancelled.

The ousted government's spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said from New York that Thaksin would decide soon if he would still return to Thailand.

"Prime Minister Thaksin is now in New York and he has not yet made up his mind where he will go. But he will have to make a decision soon," he said.

After cancelling his UN speech he holed up in a top New York hotel for much of the day as the coup went ahead in Bangkok.

The billionaire politician still has an official plane at his disposal. He has a private residence in London, where one of his daughters is studying.

A senior Thai official in New York said earlier that Thaksin planned to leave the United States overnight but that his destination was unknown.

A US official in Bangkok said the United States viewed the coup negatively and was keeping a close watch on the political developments in Thailand.

"We hope that the Thai society and the political actors find the way through peacefully. But, the US reacts negatively to what is hapฌpening in Thailand now," he said last night.

It is not known where Panthongtae, the family's only son, is, or whether he followed his mothฌer to Singapore last night. The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were also not known. Pinthongta is a student in London while Paethongtae is a political science student at Chulalongkorn University.

Source: The Nation, 20 Sep 06

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it will do much good (remember Pinochet?), but I am going to write a letter urging the British Government not to allow Thaksin to stay in Britain.

I think all British Citizens should do the same.

Oh Phleeaze. On what grounds? Because he is considered to some to be a tax evader? Give me a break. And comparing Pinochet (war criminal) to Thaksin?

Edited by kudroz

Not that it will do much good (remember Pinochet?), but I am going to write a letter urging the British Government not to allow Thaksin to stay in Britain.

Oh Phleeaze. On what grounds? Because he is considered to some to be a tax evader? Give me a break. And comparing Pinochet (war criminal) to Thaksin?

He's not exactly a champion of human rights, is he?

He's not exactly a champion of human rights, is he?

has he commited crime against humanity? really? you guys are so simple.

On grounds that he sanctioned extra judicial killings.

State sanctioned Murder.

Unproven dodgy business practices are hardly a good enough reason to refuse entry.

Ordering police to kill without trial, or at the least stand by and fail to take any action to stop the killing is however strong enough reason IMHO.

let him go to london then tell him he has to get

three 1 monthley visas

and then he has to go back to his own countrie to apply for a 12 month visa

to stay in the uk

its all the same rules he makeing up for the farang of thailand

and dont let him buy houses in his name ???

as that would be unfair to farang in thailand

and dont forget his bid for buying harrads of london

and also he wants everton football club

someone needs to stop this man or his name

Edited by charlie123

State sanctioned Murder.

Unproven dodgy business practices are hardly a good enough reason to refuse entry.

Ordering police to kill without trial, or at the least stand by and fail to take any action to stop the killing is however strong enough reason IMHO.

this is so far fetched and taken out of context. crime against humanity are refers to acts of murderous persecution or any large scale atrocities against a body of people.

Why am I even bothering arguing here... oh well.

State sanctioned Murder.

Proven, womble?

I say let him stay in London, enjoy the miserable food, the lousy weather and the crime . . .

State sanctioned Murder.

this is so far fetched and taken out of context. crime against humanity are refers to acts of murderous persecution or any large scale atrocities against a body of people.

How many people have to be killed for it to count as large scale in your books? They stopped counting at 2000 dead bodies. I think that is pretty large scale. I would say death squads targeting specific groups of people is persecution.

Correct there is no proof yet..........

However as a British citizen I object to someone who is under suspician of such acts being allowed entry to my country.

Also who says it has to be crimes against humanity.

I do not want my country seen as a place where corrupt self centered politician can happily live the rest of their lives with their ill gotten gains.

I would rather he went to one of the usual places like Brazil or Argentina.

Same as when Thatcher allowed Pinochet entry to Britain I do not like to see Thakisn allowed entry. It sets a precident that ousted leaders will be given asylum in Britain.

Which I believe is detrimental to our worldwide image.

Does that mean he has to do 30 day visa runs to Wales?

:o

i think it would do him the would good

as the welsh would love to get there hands on him while he is there

after the rip off he has pulled out of his hat

make him get a non im b visa first from thailand

ha f- - - - ha

Does England want him? :D

What about his Visa status? He isn't PM anymore? No official passport, right?

extridite him back to thailand for crimes committed tax fraud and humanity crimes

lets have back in thailand to face the fireing squad

ling live the armed forces take over ????

three 1 monthley visas

to stay in the uk

Seriously can he stay in the U.K and how long for and what grounds?

Than man needs to be tought a serious lesson?

People in glass houses comes to mind.

extridite him back to Thailand for crimes committed tax fraud and humanity crimes

Hey,

I'm not British but I'm European. IMO European countries should make a clear point about this people.

People involved in murders, illegal transactions and human rights violations (which includes also freedom of speech) shouldn't be allowed to enter EUROPE under any circumstances.

Does anyone remember the Muslims killed during ’transportation’ few years ago?

Does anyone remember the Muslim activist that disappeared?

Anyone remember the way is doing business?

I'm sorry but politicians should have a minimum standard and as we don't let Alexander Lukashenko enter Europe...we should send a strong signal to all the people like him.

We can joke about the different rights for non-citizens in Thailand & England...but this is a serious matter. If he wants to go somewhere in exile... Asia, South America or US perhaps are more than happy to offer him a place to live...

Giruz

Edited by giruz

three 1 monthley visas

to stay in the uk

Does anyone have Tony Blairs email address

extridite him back to Thailand for crimes committed tax fraud and humanity crimes

Hey,

I'm not British but I'm European. IMO European countries should make a clear point about this people.

People involved in murders, illegal transactions and human rights violations (which includes also freedom of speech) shouldn't be allowed to enter EUROPE under any circumstances.

Anyone remember the Muslims killed during ’transportation’ few years ago?

Anyone remember the Muslim activist that disappeared?

Anyone remember the way is doing business?

I'm sorry but politicians should have a minimum standard and as we don't let Alexander Lukashenko enter Europe...we should send a strong signal to all the people like him.

We can joke about the different rights for non-citizens in Thailand & England...but this is a serious matter. If he wants to go somewhere in exile... Asia, South America or US perhaps are more than happy to offer him a place to live...

Giruz

agree 100%

three 1 monthley visas

to stay in the uk

blairs another one on his way out ???

get maggie thatcher to sort taksin crap out

she wouldnt put up with what he does to farang in thailand

get him back here to face his music ????

he is in big big sh -- right now

send him home please uk plz plz plz plz

three 1 monthley visas

to stay in the uk

Emails and comments to http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact-us

Edited by sniperteam6

three 1 monthley visas

to stay in the uk

Seriously can he stay in the U.K and how long for and what grounds?

Than man needs to be tought a serious lesson?

People in glass houses comes to mind.

he should be arrested in the usa and sent back to thailand

stop him in his track hes as bad as alkiada

so send him home to the great armed forces and let them sort it out

it is there kingdom

alfiet of harrods has not got a uk passport but hes still in the uk with his companys

so i supose taksin can creep in there unnoticed

if you wright to uk immigration email address you can complain

they have to answer us brttish its in there our law that every email recieved will get a reply

within 24 hour

and taksin dont land in the uk until the morning

from usa

so lobbie now and get one up on him

come home taksin we miss you and your army loves you

State sanctioned Murder.

Maybe its because you are the 'SIMPLE' one.

I would suggest debating your line with out attempting to lower those that may have a differing opinion.

Does anyone remember the Muslims killed during ’transportation’ few years ago?

Does anyone remember the Muslim activist that disappeared?

Uh, excuse me - I just couldn't let this one go. I wouldn't fault anyone for those incidents.

Racist comments deleted

Astral

And I don't feel too sorry for all the drug dealers who were gunned down without a "fair trial" (If that is in fact probably what happened - I didn't follow it very closely). How many lives have the drug dealers ruined by selling that poison? How many people have lost loved ones to drugs, or to deranged, violent drug addicts?

If you want to deny Taksin exile in Western countries, do it because his government only gave a 3 YEAR AND 10 MONTH jail sentence to a Thai cop who savagely beat a Thai woman almost to death and pointed a gun at her farang companion and screamed "Now you die!". :o

Edited by astral

do you really think protests by the likes of us will make any scrap of difference? the man has so much financial clout.. that he can hire enough shyster lawyers to drag -out an appeal for decades....and he probably has a few other boltholes already set up....and then start the process again.

Or am i being too cynical?

The UK should do the usual visa process etc. And hang on to him. :o

I Think we have a extradition agreement with Thailand and am sure the Thai authorities will be quick to issue fraud or other criminal charges.

Mabe he should be made to report to his local police office on a regular basis until such time the Thai authorities/new government wish to extradite him? After all he won't be a political refugee in fear of his life so he will have no real claim to stay. Oh and of course hold his passport too and freeze assets in the UK under suspicion of fraud/laundering :D

Also while he's here we could all do our bit by letting our wonderful tabloid press into a few secrets and gossip and perhaps they will keep an eye on him in their usual friendly but respectful manner. :D

Hey it's a dream i have ..........

The UK should do the usual visa process etc. And hang on to him. :o

I Think we have a extradition agreement with Thailand and am sure the Thai authorities will be quick to issue fraud or other criminal charges.

Mabe he should be made to report to his local police office on a regular basis until such time the Thai authorities/new government wish to extradite him? After all he won't be a political refugee in fear of his life so he will have no real claim to stay. Oh and of course hold his passport too and freeze assets in the UK under suspicion of fraud/laundering :D

Also while he's here we could all do our bit by letting our wonderful tabloid press into a few secrets and gossip and perhaps they will keep an eye on him in their usual friendly but respectful manner. :D

Hey it's a dream i have ..........

And a dream I'm sure many of us share, Thai and farang alike. Well posted!

As much as I would like to see Taksin brought back to Thailand with a ball and chain tied to his ankle, I don't think it's going to happen. What about Marcos when he fled justice in The Philiphines, or the many other dictators who screwed their own people out of fortunes before hitting the high road? I think Taksin already knew what was going down and was given the opportunity to take a ridiculously large ammount of (luggage?) out of the country before the shit hit the fan. Whatever, a great day for Thailand....Hopefully, I say with my fingers crossed.