Family Vacation in the islands?

My wife and I, along with two young (12 and 14) daughters, would like a vacation that will provide family fun; beaches, sight-seeing, activities for kids, climbing, trekking, nice accommodations, etc. We are all scuba certified and in good physical condition. I'd like to keep it under 2,000 baht per day, not including the diving.

Suggestions?

Thanks

We don't need to stick to a strict budget. Some days we'll spend more and some days we'll spend less. I excluded scuba diving only because I realize that it would be much much more expensive than say, renting a kayak or a trekking tour for the day. I know that there are plenty of backpacker guest house that I can rent two rooms for half the price I need if we were renting a nicer hotel, so the 2,000 baht I mentioned was just sort of general idea. I don't want to spend 20,000 baht every day, but it's there if needed.

As for the type of vacation, well, I've been in S.E. Asia before on business, but my wife and kids haven't. I'd like this to be an adventure for them, as well as a learning experience. Culture mixed with play mixed with relaxation mixed with... etc., etc. A bit of everything there is for them to see and do.

Just looked at the place I stayed a few weeks ago;

Two bedroom a/c bungalow, low season 1500B, high season 2000B, I do not think you will get much less on Samui.

Daily excursions start about 1500B and up per person, the only on island excursion was the jungle trip which was a full day, most of the others involved a boat to the National Marine Park or Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan.

Local Transport a rip off and food, eating out, etc, generally more expensive than on the mainland.

Better off hiring a Jeep, particularly if your hotel is up the side of a mountain, there is plenty to see and do you just need some good pointers where to go, (but you may find hotel receptionists not to helpful as they are looking for their cut on excursions sold).

Diving, no dive sites of interest near Samui and most dive shops run speed boats so very pricey, and even with a speed boat it is over 1½ hours to most dive sites which are off Koh Tao, but some real awesome dives.

An international drivers permit & a dashcam or smartphone app offering same are advisable, as is avoiding anything with an engine that has less than 4 wheels and a roof!

Facebook page 'Roads of Koh Samui' explains.

HTH :)

Edited by evadgib

Honestly, I think 2,000 baht a day for 4 people (parents and two almost teen daughters) for accommodation, food and some outing will be nearly impossible; as Basil B in #6 also mentioned.

Backpacker style of bungalows with no aircon, but good “paradise Bounty-island style” location next to beach, will be 600-800 baht a day these days, so 2 bungalows for 4 people runs up to 1200 to 1600 baht; so almost same as the two-bedroom aircon bungalow mentioned by Basil B. On top comes food, and even you dine cheap in local restaurants and street food stalls, you easily will spend up around 1000 baht a day for food and drink, mainly water, for 4 people.

Samui has a number of family and kids activities, but do expect fees in the area 400-500 baht and up per person – however the waterfalls, the nature, and walking the hills are free; some really nice 2-3 kilometer long jungle paths to walk up to higher waterfalls. Touring will often be 1,000 baht and up for each – some include a meal – and if you rent your own transportation, like a small Suzuki Jeep Caribbean, that will be around 800 baht a day plus gasoline. Be aware, if the vehicle has full insurance; if only mandatory Thai insurance it covers next to nothing, the traffic can be quite chaotic and it’s left hand driving (if you come from a right hand driving country). Remember travel insurance. I will not recommend scooters or motorbikes...

There are plenty of diving possibilities, but mainly north of neighboring Koh Phangan and further up north at Koh Tao, so some hours sailing out and back. However, you can combine Samui with a trip and stay at either Koh Phangan and/or Koh Tao for diving. Both islands have small next-to-beach or beachfront bungalows for 1,000 baht or less per day.

Hope these little information may help you – please ask more, if needed, the forums members will gladly help you – and I wish you an amazing trip to Samui and her sisters...smile.png

Let us know how it goes. I am curious. We live here for many years and could not manage on that budget. Accommodation aside we would spend easily 2k on simple food, beverages and a couple amenities for our two kids ( 6/11).

You're not gonna be able to live on for 4 persons for only 2000. Unless you cook yourself, if you eat out, you'll spend at least 500 per day only on food. And this is eating cheaply at roadside shacks.

Your daughters aren't really that "young" anymore and most hotels will charge adult prices for them. You're really not going to find a 2 bedroom place for less than 2000 per day, especially now in August high season month. Only if you rent for 1 month or more, you may be able to get price to be lower than 2000 per day.

Samui, Phangan and Tao are probably one of the most expensive islands in Thailand. Prices for food and accommodation will increase substantially in that order. So by hopping around the islands, you'll only increase your budget. Because if you for example stay only on Samui, you may be able to get special weekly price on accommodation. But most properties aren't gonna really give you that much discount because of high season, and many places already has high occupancy rates and they must try to get as much as they can in the rent in order to cover for the low season months.

If you're on a budget, I recommend you go to Phuket or Krabi instead.

Edited by Mole

I suggest you stay away from Samui (too expensive and boring) and Koh Tao (way too dangerous ...) and go to Phuket.

In Phuket you might get close to your budget but I doubt it ...

If you choose Phuket remember NEVER rent Jetski, try BungeeJump, Zipliner or use tuk-tuk - seems like its even dangerous to visit a Zoo in Thailand so be careful ...

Have a nice trip

Try Koh Chang, at the end of the island ,Bang Bao. BB Divers. they have one day trips or two days with a night on the boat or a remote island....up to you..

My wife and I did it a few times and it was great. My nephew was a dive instructor there at the time.....We have no business together but they are good friends....I don't get a percent if I send anybody there...!!

Remember ! it's rain season now.....!!! could result in bad visibility under water. or spending a couple days inside your bungalow....or Bar / Restaurant.. ???

http://bbdivers-koh-chang.com/en/

Best regards, Off Road Pat

Edited by off road pat

OP needs top say when they plan on coming, I would say it is possible, providing they not wanting beach front property... say withing a KM or two inland, usually better deals if renting for a month in low seasons. (sometimes in high season too)

Hundreds if not thousands of families stay here every year, some twice a year.... and have a good time.... thumbsup.gif....Just stay away from Chawang....whistling.gif

I would have suggested Koh Tao as diving is a lot cheaper, I was thinking of staying their next year for a week of intensive diving but given the events of the last year I am having second thoughts and certainly would not consider it if I had a family in tow.

Apart from diving, swimming, snorkelling, trip to Kho Pangyuan, and parting the nights away I do not know of any other things to do on the Island.