Most Interesting Way to 'see' Thailand?

My family (USA wife and two daughters, 12 &14) and I plan to spend a month really getting to know Thailand (as well as anyone can in just one month.) We will travel from south to north, starting at the Malaysian border.

What sort of travel plans can you recommend in terms of vehicles? Car? Car and driver? Train? Mini-vans? We don't want to spend all of our time inside a moving vehicle, but at the same time, know that if we fly we will miss a lot.

Can you suggest an itinerary? How long to spend in Bangkok vs Hua Hin, for example, or should we pass up Hua Hin and aim for Koh Chang instead? It's hard to plan a long trip without knowing where the fun places are for a family.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Why are you starting so far south? Any connections there? It's a loooooong drive up from there. Just curious. You could spend a month from Bangkok north and barely touch the surface. I think it's best to limit yourself to a smaller area. I spent a month driving from Pattaya to Hua Hin to Samet to Khao Lak and back and didn't dally around! Did pretty much the same from Pattaya to Khorat to Issan and back.

A car is the only way to go. Driving can be a bit stressful at times, but not too bad. Don't drive after dark, have a good GPS, and have fun! Can your wife read Thai? A huge help.

What's most important to you? Beaches? Mountains? Countryside? That will make a difference also.

I need to be in Kuala Lumpur for some business before we begin the trip. None of us speak Thai at all, other than what we've picked up from some tapes. Basic 'hello, thanks, check please, where is the toilet.' That's about it. It will be a lot of driving, which I don't mind, but the kids might. I have a Garmin GPS as well as an iPad loaded with what seems like good maps. Probably don't show the very small roads, but highways are well marked. Driving on the wrong side of the road will be a bit of a challenge but not much.

As for what's most important, I'd have to say 'all the above.' We'd like a bit of everything. Sort of a 'sampler,' if you will. I understand that one month isn't enough time to see the country, but we have to be back for the kids start of school. A few days here and a few days there, maybe a bit more at the beaches. We're all pretty easy to please. Culture, fun and excitement, relaxation. Good local foods... A family vacation to remember before the girls start noticing boy and no longer want to vacation with mom and day.

So how are you going to get from KL to the southern Thai border? I'd perhaps recommend a few different options.

1. fly to Samui (it and the surrounding islands are beautiful), spend a few days, fly to Bangkok, enjoy this magnificent city, fly to Chiang Mai and spend a few weeks drinving around there.

2. fly to Phiuket. It's a magnificent island, excluding Patpong for families. Then do as recommended above.

Could also do Kanchanaburi out of Bangkok. Hire a driver for a few days and it's a great place to explore for 2 or 4 days.

Could also get a car out of Bangkok, do Kanchanaburi, head to Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, then up to CM. Great road tirp. You could easily burn 2 weeks cruising in and around CM.

So how are you going to get from KL to the southern Thai border? I'd perhaps recommend a few different options.

1. fly to Samui (it and the surrounding islands are beautiful), spend a few days, fly to Bangkok, enjoy this magnificent city, fly to Chiang Mai and spend a few weeks drinving around there.

2. fly to Phiuket. It's a magnificent island, excluding Patpong for families. Then do as recommended above.

Could also do Kanchanaburi out of Bangkok. Hire a driver for a few days and it's a great place to explore for 2 or 4 days.

Could also get a car out of Bangkok, do Kanchanaburi, head to Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, then up to CM. Great road tirp. You could easily burn 2 weeks cruising in and around CM.

I think flying is going to become a necessity for parts of this trip. Your idea of flying into Samui would reduce the driving time quite a lot, and avoid long travel through areas that aren't so interesting. Perhaps we'll do that, spend some time on the three islands in that area, get in a few dives on Koh Tao, then when back on the mainland, rent a car and drive north so we can see what the land is like in the southern part of Thailand. Or... fly from Samui to Bangkok, then rent the car and do Kanchanaburi, head to Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, then up to Chiang Mai. We are keen to see the northern parts of Thailand as well; Mae Hong Son, the Golden Triangle, Issan region, etc. For major city areas, I like the idea of hiring a car and a driver to take us around, rather than fumbling away all our time getting lost on city streets, looking for parking space, etc.

I wonder if it's possible to rent a small RV? Something the family can sleep in when we wish to. Or, are the roads not of good enough to provide comfortable driving for one? We've done a lot of RV camping in the states.

I've driven to/from Samui, Phuket and Krabi several times. A large part of the drive is quite boring. The road isn't that good and traffic can be crazy. Plus, the main highway is nowhere near the sea.

Unless you are going to explore all the nooks and crannies between these areas and Bangkok, of which there are many! I'd probably fly. You'll get your fix for a beach taken care of, then can do Bangkok, rent a car from there and head north. Still a relatively long drive, but easy to break up with a few stops. Sukhothai is a must. Kanchanaburi is great. Sukhothai to CM is only 4-5 hours. And a nice drive. Same with Bangkok or Kan to Sukhothai. I prefer shorter drives. Can wake up a bit late, have lunch somewhere, and end up at your destination well before happy hour! LOL

One thing you'll find is there are lots of places to eat along the roads. Don't be shy. Just pull in. Plus, many gas stations have large restaurants. You'll rarely encounter someone who doesn't speak at least a bit of English. Most menus have English. Unless you really get off the beaten path, and even then, somebody there will speak English and can help out.

We were in CM a few months ago and hired a van and driver. It was fantastic! Right in front of the hotel when we were ready to go, dropped us off in one part of the town, picked us up in another, never had to worry about traffic, directions, parking etc. And I don't think was that much more than just renting the car. I think we paid 1,800B per day and we paid for gas.

As for an RV, there are a few here, but very few nice places that take these rigs. Nothing like you know back home. Plus, unless you have AC, which requires 50 amp plug in, these things get HOT! I've RV'ed a good part of my life back in the US. Truck camper, trailer and motorhome. Roads here aren't setup for these rigs and there are only a few parks around. Plus, hotels are so cheap...easier to just get a room. Sad to say....

When you get your plans a bit more settled, you might want to create a new topic in the CM sub forum asking about things to do in that area. The Mae Hong Song loop is fantastic. You can easily burn a week doing this. Absolutely beautiful and great with a rental car. I could spend a month cruising around that area!

Car/van & driver is definitely a good idea, will remove a lot of stress and allow you the driver to look at the scenery instead of having to concentrate on the road. Probably he/she will know places to show you, good lunch stops, etc. that you would not otherwise find. I am British but have driven in 14 countries inc. USA (recently) and Thailand. Let me tell you the driving style in Thailand is VERY different to that of western countries.

You can rent a car and drive yourself next time when you know what to expect.

For intercity travel do consider train travel including over night. Its cheap, slow, relaxing and the fellow travellers are very friendly.

Your girls would love it and it gives great opportunity to interact with Thais.

Book sleepers on the overnight Langkawi Express from KL Sentral station to Had Yai junction. Comfortable ac car. You will wake up in north Malaysia with nice scenery then get to border at Padang Besar. Should arrive Had Yai by 11am Thai time. One hour difference. Walk east out of Had Yai station past the touts. At the first traffic lights are hotels and bank/atm. Good food and some interesting markets. In the past there have been some bombings at Had Yai.

If you don't want to stay there you should arrive Justin Thyme for the 11 am ordinary train. That's not ac - fan, open windows. Good way to meet people and taste good food. Take train to Thung Song Junction.

From there go to Prachuap Khiri Khan. Attractive town with good beaches south and north of the town bay which is no good for swimming. Good market on Friday and Sat night.

You can take the train from there to maybe Nakon Pathom with side trip To Kanchanaburi

I would pass Bangkok. Get off at Bang Sue Junction, change trains and visit Ayudhya. Then overnight train to Chiang Mai. Need to book this in advance.

Then get bus up to Chiang Rai. Lots to see there. From there fly back to Bangkok.

Have you done your research?

You are aware that there are daily bombings and murders by muslim insurgents in the the south of Thailand? I used to do business in Yala for a multinational, fly into Songkhla drive down and out again the same day. I always had two armed security personal with me. I would never consider taking my family through those roads. You will pass through many sand bagged and fortified Thai army check points with soldiers armed to the teeth, they are there for a reason.

Have you done your research?

You are aware that there are daily bombings and murders by muslim insurgents in the the south of Thailand? I used to do business in Yala for a multinational, fly into Songkhla drive down and out again the same day. I always had two armed security personal with me. I would never consider taking my family through those roads. You will pass through many sand bagged and fortified Thai army check points with soldiers armed to the teeth, they are there for a reason.

The Langkawi Express doesn't go thru Yala. Have you done your research? The train passes safely on the west coast every day.

Map-Southern-Thailand-Lonely-Planet-.jpg

Edited by my friend I

I would overfly S. Thailand for reasons others have said: To avoid the long drive and for safety.

The kids will get tired of the car even though they aren't real young. I wouldn't plan on spending all day in a car, day after day.

I might land in Bangkok and spend a couple of days there and then drive to Chiang Mai and explore from there as recommended above.

Sorry, i know Thailand is not expensive (at the moment). ..... but save?

If you like to come here, do not try make to much!

The time is very important! Different and a lot different places!

Hotels: 3-4000Bathh/day in Nov., Dez. (Jan) go down in Feb. to 800-1000 Bath/day)

If your children like the wather - spend any days in KO Lanta and make may 1-2

tours by boat. ;-) There are the prices after the season still O.K..

It's not easy, but try to let the touristplaces out -(may) not so easy for your daughter.

I wish you all a nice time.

Greetings Peter

Edited by Somrak

I would overfly S. Thailand for reasons others have said: To avoid the long drive and for safety.

The kids will get tired of the car even though they aren't real young. I wouldn't plan on spending all day in a car, day after day.

I might land in Bangkok and spend a couple of days there and then drive to Chiang Mai and explore from there as recommended above.

Sorry, i do realy not like Chiang Mai anymore. Became a big money makeing machine after a guy took everything for

make all the money for himself.

Please NS do not misunderstand me. There are very nice places too! giggle.gif

But if i would go the first time to Thailand, i would prefrere sea and beach for the beginning. There you have all the

different lifestyles. - And stay far away from bombs !!

First, if you drive - the key is remembering that the steering wheel always goes in the center of the road… it is really not much of a problem but be very careful for motorcycles and careless drivers.

I would recommend flying from KL to CM - and work my way south. Places like CM & CR have tons of "attractions" some more touristy than others, some more fake than real… with a car you will have the option of getting into some of the out of the way places… For example, in CR there is a hilltribe village that you can visit - it has several hilltribes represented in a small area. You walk from one to the next and they might dance for you etc… so, it is more a show than real life - or, you could actually go into a hilltribe village that is not on tourist routes - but what will you do there? Or, you can stop in markets where there are hilltribe people selling things, vegetables and foodstuff for example, not touristy but part of every day life…

Since you are with the kids, there are elephant camps etc.. one of the better is in Lampang, the elephant conservation center with a show 2x a day. You can even volunteer [for a fee] and stay there and work for a few days w/the eles and learn to be a mahout… but there are many choices based on your and kids interests.

I would choose Sukhothai over Ayutthaya - a pleasant couple of hours can be spent riding around the historical park on a bicycle… as you know, this is an expansive subject and w/o knowing you, not easy to answer in a brief manner - also, you have 4 people w/varying likes…

I'd do beaches with the daughters, stay simple, backpack for an adventure

Do the islands,

Imo month isn't long enough to do south to North

I'd do South to BKK

Train or bus

As you say you want to see but not spend a month inside a vehicle

I'm sure you'll have a great time

When nearing BKK a treat for the girls would be Hard Rock hotel Pattaya. Great hotel & people. A few days relax after a lot of travelling won't do you any harm

Have a great month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk