About 9.5 million tonnes of Thai rice are expected to be exported this year

webfact

About 9.5 million tonnes of rice are expected to be exported this year

IMG_20150721_145313-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Total rice exports this year are expected to be slashed from 10 million tonnes to 9.5 million tonnes due to prolonged drought which curtailed second crop production and postponed main croup cultivation, said Mr Charoen Laothammathat, president of Thai Rice Exporters Association, on Tuesday.

The 9.5 million tonnes of rice expected to be exported include 4.8 million tonnes of white rice, 2.2 million tonnes of Hom Malee fragrant rice, 2.2 million tonnes of parboiled rice, 200,000 tonnes of sticky rice and 100,000 tonnes Hom Pathum Thani rice.

Pointing out that there are signs that the ongoing drought day drag on for another year, Mr Charoen said that global economic slowdown might bite into Thai rice exports.

Thai Rice Exporters Association, he said, has recommended the government to release rice in its storage to match with market demand and to try to negotiate government-to-government rice deals for the remaining two million tonnes of rice bought under the rice pledging scheme.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/about-9-5-million-tonnes-of-rice-are-expected-to-be-exported-this-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-21

Better save some of that stock piled rice, the price might be about to sky rocket with the current drought.

TS without his planning or knowledge might about to become the saviour of Siam....

Even China - which eats everything, refused to buy that rotten rice from TS;

Maybee the containing rats - ( Chinese eat tham ) shouldn't have been poisoned before shipment !! )

I'm sorry PBS and Thaivisa, but, due to Thai laws, it's forbidden to publish pictures of dry fields. "Junta Leader asks media not to report pictures of parched, cracked rice fields because it'll make people depressed"

if you live on the country side,

you would know every rice field looks similar in the try season,

But some farmers in some ares - propably want force unrest - planting rice in try season !!

Are you planting any vegies on your tailed living floor ??

I'm sorry PBS and Thaivisa, but, due to Thai laws, it's forbidden to publish pictures of dry fields. "Junta Leader asks media not to report pictures of parched, cracked rice fields because it'll make people depressed"

I see you added the 'forbidden' part yourself.

Seems the anti-junta brigade are falling back on their good old favourite 'outright fabrication' now that all their predictions of people disappearing have been proved completely wrong.

I see you added the 'forbidden' part yourself.

Seems the anti-junta brigade are falling back on their good old favourite 'outright fabrication' now that all their predictions of people disappearing have been proved completely wrong.

They have a sale of "sense of humor" at Tesco, please get one. The OP was joking and we don't need to fabricate anything as your dear great leader gives us enough ammunition every time he opens his mouth. I think the following one was my favourite thus far - when questioned about price increases of seafood he said that poor people should eat chicken and leave rich people to eat seafood. Does that not also sound to you similar as a famous quote - let them eat cake. Or what about their plan for people to donate water to farmers that suffering from the drought. Firstly the donated water will be for drinking but these farmers need water for their crops, or does your dear great leader think the poor can only live on water ? Secondly this donated water will come from a source that is the same as what the farmers normaly use to irrigate their crops with. So the junta is banning farmers to use water so that the elites can donate water back to them.

If you have a thin skin I suggest that you and the other junta lovers form a cheer leaders forum where you can cheer every time your dear great leader talks for 50 minutes on TV. You can use the forum to exchange pictures of the dear great leader or collect and trade banana skins. Maybe you can use the forum to make suggestions to the junta on how to make us non believers happy. Or your guys can just hang out on the forum with your greens on.

I really dont know if 9.5 M tonnes of rice is a huge number for the yearly export figure. But what I do know, is that " Bloomberg ", only yesterday, reported that Thai rice exports were to fall from a " record amount " amid strong competition.

No mention of a drop in exports due to drought conditions, so maybe a double whammy to come.

"rice exports this year are expected to be slashed from 10 million tonnes to 9.5 million tonnes"

I'm not sure that I'd use the word "slashed", to describe a 5% drop, unless I were a bit desperate to generate some excitement round this news. wink.png

"Thai Rice Exporters Association, he said, has recommended the government to release rice in its storage to match with market demand"

A cynic might suggest, that the rice-exporters might possibly have a bias, when it comes to maintining the balance between supply & demand, but clearly they're not-at-all concerned about maintaining their usual profit-margins. whistling.gif

I always thought that, when TS had his Great Idea and imposed it on the industry, the theory said that a drought would lead to prices rising by so much that it would justify having over-paid the millers, in the first place.

Pity he forgot about maintaining the crop's quality, through proper storage & stock-rotation, as well as the effect on the world-market of other countries also exporting to consumers. facepalm.gif

Stockpile figures change daily, according to political weather, agency and spokesperson. The ugly truth is always that the ugly truth will never be known.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by FangFerang