Bank Of Thailand Governor Reportedly Accepted To Become The Prime Minister

Thaising

Bank of Thailand Governor MR Pridayadhorn Devakula cut short his trip to attend the International Monetary Fund/World Bank meeting in Singapore and he will arrive Bangkok at noontime.

He said he agreed to accept to become Prime Minister. Nonetheless, it was expected that there would be a press conference at the Arm Force auditorium today.

The Nation

Pridiyathorn denies being approached for PM's post

Bank of Thailand Governor Pridiyathorn Devakula denied Wednesday that he had been approached by the Administrative Reform Council to become the next prime minister.

Source: The Nation - 20 Spetember 2006

Pridiyathorn denies being approached for PM's post

Bank of Thailand Governor Pridiyathorn Devakula denied Wednesday that he had been approached by the Administrative Reform Council to become the next prime minister.

Source: The Nation - 20 Spetember 2006

I read somewhere on the forum (one of the threads) that Gen Surayod Chulamont (forgive my spelling) the recent commander of chief of the Thai armed forces (and a very respected man) is going to be the interim PM.

He had an audience with, His Majesty King Bhumpol yesterday (I also read)

We could do a lot worse than having this man in the chair either temporarily or even long term.

A civil dictatorship being replaced by a Junta would be more accurate .... and I do in fact believe that this move was done by people thinking it would in the long run be best for Thailand and Democracy here.

<pardon me for being one of the first to say Junta.... and as yet we don't know the power distribution ... so ...>

Edited by jdinasia

So once again it has bee proven that the power lies with the military in Thailand.

Democracy had a chance for 15 quiet years, and people have failed her. The toy has been taken away.

HUGE loss of face internationally. Not for anyone in particular, but for the whole country.

Democracy at work. Got to love it. The people have spoken.

Democracy in this form isn't worthy of being called a democracy. Simply put it is a plutocracy replaced by a military dictatorship.

grow up who do you really think controls UK USA or any country the elite its just they are a bit more clever at hiding it in west than here - whos more honest ?????

I for one will support thais and thailand and my life, my Thai wifes life our daughters life here as long as I have breath and i dont worry at all about the future here - id worry in UK or USA

So once again it has bee proven that the power lies with the military in Thailand.

Democracy had a chance for 15 quiet years, and people have failed her. The toy has been taken away.

HUGE loss of face internationally. Not for anyone in particular, but for the whole country.

Right on Plus! Good point

Its the army which is the real supreme court here. Only the most serious offends ends up there every decade or two, is dealt with and determined once and for all.

It really would have been a problem to oust a man like taksin democratically.

I think this was pretty much the only way of doing it and also the the right timing before he got to tamper with more things.

A banker as PM. Makes sense to me. Army and economics don't seem to go like Cesar on a salad. Tox has lost a little face but he'll buy it back if he wants. The thing to remember is that in the end he won. That makes him the winner and the nation the loser.

Well, democracy is threatened by the undue influence of money ... both here and abroad. Could be that this was the only way to take out Thaksin from the mix? Vote fraud/rigging is pretty widespread... like in Mexico, US, etc

You're comparing Mexico to the U.S....just for once, try to think for yourself. The U.S. has the cleanest elections in the world and why?...it is called an unchecked, for better or for worst, and free press. Thailand has to learn that if it wants to be a democracy then it must make changes at the ballot box. Where are you from bubba?

Easy to win by a landslide if youf Rig the Votes...

Remember California in the last Presidential Election held in the USA.............?

You mean when the democrats were going down to where the homless lived and offering them packs of cigarettes to vote for their candidates? Or possibly denying military members a chance to vote if their overseas vote didn't get into the ballot at a certain time? Or using illegal aliens, with their forged social security cards, to vote for their candidates. The difference is here is that they were all caught and fined. Bush lost California, hardcore.

A civil dictatorship being replaced by a Junta would be more accurate .... and I do in fact believe that this move was done by people thinking it would in the long run be best for Thailand and Democracy here.

<pardon me for being one of the first to say Junta.... and as yet we don't know the power distribution ... so ...>

- or oligarchy replaced by... (what is the difference between a junta and military dictatorship ?)

It is very difficult to separate democracy from plutocracy. It has been demonstrated (no source available) that US election returns are directly proportional to campaign funds. This should not be surprising or contentious, we all know that advertising works.

Thaksin remains popular in rural areas. There are huge numbers of people with little education, who DO understand how concreting a local road, or seeding clouds for rain, improves their lives, but DO NOT understand how a complex international telecommunications deal has the opposite effect.

In any true democracy, the majority of voters are of average or below average intelligence* (and remember that "average", IQ=100, is pretty dim**); therefore it should not be surprising when academics and leading financiers are in the minority, but possibly right, when criticising a popularly elected leader. Western democratic models do not yet handle this problem.

* it is also true to say that the majority are of average or above average intelligence, but this grouping is not useful to my argument, and also read on concerning "average" intelligence.

** sorry, this is not very PC, but I think most would agree.. ***

*** ha ha, well, I suppose most would NOT agree, would they ? But if they are on this forum they probably would.

Well, democracy is threatened by the undue influence of money ... both here and abroad. Could be that this was the only way to take out Thaksin from the mix? Vote fraud/rigging is pretty widespread... like in Mexico, US, etc

You're comparing Mexico to the U.S....just for once, try to think for yourself. The U.S. has the cleanest elections in the world and why?...it is called an unchecked, for better or for worst, and free press. Thailand has to learn that if it wants to be a democracy then it must make changes at the ballot box. Where are you from bubba?

Oh, dear . . . in the world even . . .

Step aside Australia, NZ, Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, Norway, Belgium, Holland, Spain and so on . . . .

Deary, deary, and just preceding this statement was a comment for someone else to think. Quite funny, really.

You can come out now, Dorothy, the real world is waiting for you.

Edited by Sing_Sling

you are a troll!!!

How high are your chances to get president if you poor in USA?

how many neither democrates nor republican presidents do you know?

In communist countries you have 1 party, in USA you have 2 partys with nearly the same ideas and the same lobbies both is not democratic.

you are a troll!!!

How high are your chances to get president if you poor in USA?

how many neither democrates nor republican presidents do you know?

In communist countries you have 1 party, in USA you have 2 partys with nearly the same ideas and the same lobbies both is not democratic.

I am not a Yank, but read Bill Clintons book ( being poor and becoming President ). Rare, but true

The citizens of the USA often appear to be as indoctrinated as the North Koreans.

Their own country is the greatest on the earth , they have been told that since birth.

Their is no democracy greater than that in the USA which is the cradle of democracy in the world.

The fact that the United States of America has helped overthrow democratically elected governments apperas to be totally unkown to them.

gbt71fa is justifying the image of the ignorant US citizen.

BOT governor frontrunner for premiership

Business leaders have called for the Administrative Reform Council to pick Bank of Thailand (BOT) governor MR Pridiyathorn Devakula to serve as interim prime minister.

Pridiyathorn has emerged as the frontrunner for the premiership, even though he said on Wednesday he had not been approached by the council. Council leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said a civilian would be picked within two weeks to become interim prime minister.

Bangkok Bank chairman Chatri Sophonpanich said yesterday that he supported Pridiyathorn Devakula becoming the new premier.

He said the new prime minister would be well received by Thais and foreigners alike if he or she had a background in economics and that Pridiyathorn fit the criteria.

Source: The Nation - 22 September 2006

The U.S. has the cleanest elections in the world and why?

HAHAHAHA

Darn this is so funny (and untrue). Do you have any data to back up your statement or are you just talking out of something dark?

Anyone paying attention to the last 6 years knows this is not the case in the US.

The US would be much better off today if it had its own military coup.

I would put the US behind the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, Iceland, Findland, New Zealand, and Portugal. But that's just my opinion.

The US is #17 on the scale of least corrupt countries, by the way.