Samsung S6, anybody dropped theirs in water?

MaiDong

I've watched the videos on youtube and S6's seems to be waterproof, despite Samsung advertising them otherwise, has anybody plonked theirs in the drink yet to find out? I want to take beach and pool pics but I'm loathe to test the phone intentionally, especially considering the cost facepalm.gif

I can guarantee you that the S5 wasn't. Jumped into my pool with it one day, bought a new one the next day.

Te S5 is waterproof if you just hold it down under water, not if you jump in the pool with it .

Then the pressure is to high.

Used mine during Songkran and even put it in a fish tank to show my friend.

No problem !

You cannot remove the cover on any version of the S6. Beginning with the S6 and E7 Samsung decided to go the iPhone way and so these phones are sealed. In all likelihood all future Samsung phones will also be sealed. You can remove the SIM card and there is a second slot for an SD card or another SIM card on the side of the phone.

If the S6 gets wet from being around a pool, river, waterfall or beach then I doubt you will have problems, but if the phone is completely submerged then all bets are off. I would certainly be more careful around saltwater. So there is a good chance this phone IS water-resistant, but I wouldn't want to bet on it being water-proof.

Edited by oneday

Yes, I suppose using it in the sea is a silly idea, I realise that now, I don't like the beach anyway smile.png

But I love waterfalls & rivers so I'm still curious if it's waterproof...

I'm not sure of your age, but in the ol' days at pool parties, when friends starting getting a little excited (alcohol would be the catalyst to this behavior), one would push a fellow friend into the water.

Nowadays, with everyone toting mobile phones and a key FOB in their pocket, the tradition (err, practice) has unfortunately faded from most people's memory.

Why don't you volunteer to put your phone in your pocket, and jump into the deep end of the pool? Report back your... ahem... your phone's status once this feat has been accomplished.

Yes, I suppose using it in the sea is a silly idea, I realise that now, I don't like the beach anyway smile.png

But I love waterfalls & rivers so I'm still curious if it's waterproof...

My phone has a Lifeproof case (nuud model) and is used daily in salt water. 10 months on, zero problems.

Well I don't think anyone like to test that. You can discuss it with Samsung may be . As others mentioned sea water is bad even for waterproof watch , mine got spoiled. If you ever drop your mobile into water remove the battery keep it open and then put in in a bowl full of raw rice for 48 hours the rice will soak out the water.

If Samsung have stated, in writing (read the term and conditions CAREFULLY), that the S6 is waterproof then go ahead and use it and something goes wrong make a warranty claim! How simple is that? whistling.gif

Should I hold your hand? gigglem.gif

You cannot remove the cover on any version of the S6. Beginning with the S6 and E7 Samsung decided to go the iPhone way and so these phones are sealed. In all likelihood all future Samsung phones will also be sealed. You can remove the SIM card and there is a second slot for an SD card or another SIM card on the side of the phone.

If the S6 gets wet from being around a pool, river, waterfall or beach then I doubt you will have problems, but if the phone is completely submerged then all bets are off. I would certainly be more careful around saltwater. So there is a good chance this phone IS water-resistant, but I wouldn't want to bet on it being water-proof.

Saw a guy recently in a pool with his phone in a "ZIplock" plastic bag taking photos. Might be best to try this first ?

• 2 months later...

We got caught in the rain yesterday, heavy rain, my S6 Edge seemed to operate ok so we continued to use it in the rain for about an hour - we were on the scooter and using the phone with Google maps, when we got home however, things started to go wrong!

The power button didn't work, the home button and the buttons either side of it work sporadically too, I wrapped it in tissue and put it directly in front of the fan, after about an hour it was all working again properly.

To summarise: I'm getting a waterproof case for my S6 Edge.

I can guarantee you that the S5 wasn't. Jumped into my pool with it one day, bought a new one the next day.

Te S5 is waterproof if you just hold it down under water, not if you jump in the pool with it .

Then the pressure is to high.

Used mine during Songkran and even put it in a fish tank to show my friend.

No problem !

My S5 is waterproof too. That is one reason I bought an S5 instead of S6 and of course the USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 and I can change the battery.

• 3 weeks later...

Just keep the phone in a ziplok bag when you are on the beach. Had my phone fall into water several times and it has never gotten wet.

That sounds like the fat and bald farang who lives around the corner of our place..He never showers and never gets wet. Nor his wife. biggrin.png

• 6 months later...

I guess salt-water would be much worse then sweet-water. If your phone get wet, remove the battery and the sim (if possible) and let the phone dry. Do not use a hairdryer.

You should use a hair dryer, just put it to low heat, or let it dry in the hot sun. In the end, if you dont clean the parts with Alcohol and an ultrasonic cleaner, corrosion will form and your phone will be RIP as no matter if you dry it, residu of minerals will settle on the metal conductive parts.