Monarchy To Be Restored Since Replaced In 1932

nokia

Thailand under military rule

Monarchy to be restored, top civil servants to be told about new policy

Wednesday • September 20, 2006

BANGKOK — Thailand's army chief, who led a coup early today in the country's 20th such seizure of power since it cast aside an absolute monarchy and embraced democracy in 1932, has appointed a new Prime Minister to replace Mr Thaksin Shinawatra and has announced an intention to restore the monarchy.

Speaking on Thai TV, the coup-makers, led by army Commander-in-Chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, said the armed forces and police were under their control and they faced no resistance.

The military faction, calling itself the Democratic Reform under the Monarchy Council, immediately dissolved the Cabinet, the Senate and named General Surayudh Chulanont, a member of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Privy Council, as the new Prime Minister. The Constitution was also abolished.

"We will not seize power for long," said a spokesman for the group, which has called itself the Democratic Reform under the Monarchy Council. "We will restore power to a government under the monarchy very soon." The announcer, while avoiding the word "coup", said the seizure of power was necessary because increasing political conflict was threatening national unity.

The coup leaders later declared today a national holiday and ordered top civil servants to a meeting at military headquarters to announce their "new policy".

Thais who trickled out onto the capital's streets overnight welcomed the surprise turn of events as a necessary climax to months of demands for Mr Thaksin to resign amid allegations of corruption, electoral skullduggery and a worsening Muslim insurgency. Many people were surprised but few in Bangkok seemed disappointed.

A few dozen people raced over to the Prime Minister's office to take pictures of tanks surrounding the area. "This is exciting. Someone had to do this. It's the right thing," said one man.

In New York, the Thai mission to the United Nations withdrew a request for the world body to rearrange the schedule of its most important annual meeting so that the now-ousted Mr Thaksin could speak.

Mr Thaksin planned to leave the United States later yesterday, a senior Thai official said. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was "not sure" whether Mr Thaksin would return to Bangkok. — AGENCIES

"We will restore power to a government under the monarchy very soon."

what does that mean exactly? ill there still be an election for a new PM?

I dont think a government under a monarchy will have elections right? Things are still early to say, but we can only guess. Will LOS be the same without democratic elections? Your answer is as gd as mine....

I dont think a government under a monarchy will have elections right?

Totally and utterly wrong.

(Writing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.)

A tad harsh. We are not exactly talking about a constitutional monarchy when the Army disbanded the constitution this morning.

I wonder if they have a hidden agenda, the best thing to do would be perhaps be to set up an independent committee, to investigate the wrong doings of the last gov, and provide the public, with clear and concrete evidence. So as to forstall those farmers from the north marching on Bangkok and declaring Dr Tox a saint.

I wonder if they have a hidden agenda, the best thing to do would be perhaps be to set up an independent committee, to investigate the wrong doings of the last gov, and provide the public, with clear and concrete evidence. So as to forstall those farmers from the north marching on Bangkok and declaring Dr Tox a saint.

Spot on!

I agree 100% to get it all out in the open and especially to the good folks up north.

I dont think a government under a monarchy will have elections right? Things are still early to say, but we can only guess. Will LOS be the same without democratic elections? Your answer is as gd as mine....

ummm better go back and re-read ......

there will be elections ... the King will stay as Head of State .....

This 'termination' of the Constitution is what I find the most disturbing. Why 'terminate' not just 'suspend' it? This suggests there will another one - or none at all..

Most legal experts and commentators in the past have suggested Thailand's 1997 Constitution is actually a pretty good one. There are holes in it for sure - and that's how the meddling happened.

Transparency amendments are needed but that's about it...don't throw out the baby with the bathwater Herr General..

ummm better go back and re-read ......

there will be elections ... the King will stay as Head of State .....

That's what they say but dont u think if there's elections next year October, there is a strong chance TRT will win the elections again unless it is disbanded?

This 'termination' of the Constitution is what I find the most disturbing. Why 'terminate' not just 'suspend' it? This suggests there will another one - or none at all..

Most legal experts and commentators in the past have suggested Thailand's 1997 Constitution is actually a pretty good one. There are holes in it for sure - and that's how the meddling happened.

Transparency amendments are needed but that's about it...don't throw out the baby with the bathwater Herr General..

Without a constitution, there's a possibility for an absolute monarchy like Saudi Arabia.