Uk Income Tax and National Insurance

phutoie2

Just read an interesting article in the DT online that the Chancellor is considering combining Income Tax and NI. A favourite hobby horse of his, he will be forming a unit to investigate the possibility. If it ever comes in, it would likely be years away , I wonder how this would effect those who are not employed and live on pensions.

"If it ever comes in, it would likely be years away "

I hope you're right, because "years away" I'll be dead. But the article doesn't exactly suggest that. It says that Osborne thought about including the measure in a budget before the last election, and the Office of Tax Simplification is to report before next year's budget, which leads one to think that they'll have a go sooner rather than later. It seems a sensible measure for wage-earners, and long-term a combined rate of 32% (ignoring the employer's contribution)should further increase pressure to reduce income tax, but it would be a massive vote-loser if pensioners weren't compensated with either a lower tax rate or a higher tax-free allowance.

The OP lacks definition. For the majority on pensions there will be no effect, once you are over 60 NI is automatically credited.

"once you are over 60 NI is automatically credited"

Do you have a link for that, please ? wai2.gif

I'm retired and living here in Thailand, on the last few years' run-up to starting to draw my government Old Age Allowance, and had been considering the merits of buying 4-years' N.I. contributions, to bring myself up-to the 35-years now required to get a full pension.

But if I'm already being credited with contributions automatically, then I needn't bother buying them ! partytime2.gif

But somehow I doubt that 'they' are really that generous, cynical old fart that I am ! laugh.png

The OP lacks definition. For the majority on pensions there will be no effect, once you are over 60 NI is automatically credited.

"once you are over 60 NI is automatically credited"

Do you have a link for that, please ? wai2.gif

I'm retired and living here in Thailand, on the last few years' run-up to starting to draw my government Old Age Allowance, and had been considering the merits of buying 4-years' N.I. contributions, to bring myself up-to the 35-years now required to get a full pension.

But if I'm already being credited with contributions automatically, then I needn't bother buying them ! partytime2.gif

But somehow I doubt that 'they' are really that generous, cynical old fart that I am ! laugh.png

I am 68 now, when I was early fifties I went self employed and was only paying Class 2 contributions. I made enquiries about my pension status, at that time 44 years were required. I was told that I had acquired 38 years and would need to get 39 years by the age of 60 to receive the full pension, the years 60 to 65 would be credited. I took a part time job while I was self employed to make the year up, not long after that they reduced it to 30 years.

I am going on what I was told at the time and something may well have changed. The real answer is to get a status report from the pension office.

I am 68 now, when I was early fifties I went self employed and was only paying Class 2 contributions. I made enquiries about my pension status, at that time 44 years were required. I was told that I had acquired 38 years and would need to get 39 years by the age of 60 to receive the full pension, the years 60 to 65 would be credited. I took a part time job while I was self employed to make the year up, not long after that they reduced it to 30 years.

I am going on what I was told at the time and something may well have changed. The real answer is to get a status report from the pension office.

Thanks for responding. wai2.gif

Given how the situation keeps changing, things may well have changed over fifteen years, I'd be slightly-dubious by now even if they'd given you the advice in-writing back then.

It's always good to get an updated forecast, even if you can't rely on it totally, coincidentally I've just sent off for an updated one myself this week.

Pensions are changing, if you are male born on or after 6 Apr 1951 or female 6 Apr 1953 from next April 1916 you will come under the new pension scheme. It has been set at 35 years of NI contributions. I have a sketchy record of NI at best, it has not been decided yet on how to pay for missing years. An announcement is expected in October.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

Thanks for responding. wai2.gif

Given how the situation keeps changing, things may well have changed over fifteen years, I'd be slightly-dubious by now even if they'd given you the advice in-writing back then.

It's always good to get an updated forecast, even if you can't rely on it totally, coincidentally I've just sent off for an updated one myself this week.

I found the later forecast and this is how it was actually put.

.forecast1003.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

Once you reach the state retirement age, NI is no longer payable and that is not at age 60!

https://www.gov.uk/tax-national-insurance-after-state-pension-age/overview

You are correct, but sandyf is not wrong either.

Between 60-65 NI credits are given IF OU ARE NOT WORKING.

If you ARE working NI continues to be payable until retirement.

Thanks for the support. I mentioned it because of the question in the OP.

"I wonder how this would effect those who are not employed and live on pensions."

I wonder how this will affect expats paying voluntary contributions?

I have another 9 years NI to pay so if this is implemented say in 3-4 years time (before next election) I could be short 5 years.

For sure they are not going to take much account of expats needs.

Archived