Suspension bridge in Phichit collapses before opening

webfact

1. Were the bridge drawings and specifications drawn up by an engineer qualified and experienced in this area of engineering?

2. Were the drawings and specifications approved by a senior experienced engineer?

3. Did the construction company have any previous experience in bridge building / this type of bridge building?

4. Did the construction company owner or a senior employee know how to read the specifications and understand them and understand the physics, load equations etc?

5.Can the construction company show clearly that construction was supervised appropriately?

6. Are there records of the quality of cement mixing / steel used etc.?

7. How come the appropriate government department did not notice much earlier that the construction was wrong / incorrect / lacking, etc., etc., etc.

8. Sounds like there was approval for it to be used (but not yet used). Who gave the approval, was it an appropriate engineer?

9. Has the construction company been paid in full?

and more...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seeing how this is maybe the first bridge they have ever built, and given the budget, I think they did a good job. smile.png

Looking at photos on Facebook for examples and sort of guessing at materials with no understanding of how to engineer a bridge. or what happens when you use old rusted materials. But i am sure many knew and just watched. They did not have to wait long.

I think in some perverse way some may enjoy this like little kids playing a big joke on someone. Just like the way they drive.

Fun to build a bridge. Sort of like all the dress up and pretend stuff Thais do.

I'm in the Army! I'm a Policeman! I am a pilot! I am Engineer! I am a Real Estate agent!

Still very sad as it is 2015 and this is still the way they build the their own infrastructure.

Wake up Thailand.

Nail on head. Sadly. But they won't - at least not befoire they lose just about everything and the 1%'ers have all left for richer pickings elsewhere.

The bridge that Thais tried to build by themself.....Hopefully it's the only one.

I recall being driven over one of the Chao Phraya bridges a few years back Rama 3 I think. Anyway, I was regaled by breathless assertions from the hi-so tart I was with, that she was proud this was the first bridge built by Thais without help from foreigners. I had to look at my watch to check I was still in the 21st Century.

Should have recognised that as writing on the wall I suppose.

Two or more people should get jail terms for this but before anything can be proved the engineer's documents and specifications must be checked to ensure all calculations and specs are adequate. In all countries I have worked in these documents should have been submitted to the authorities responsible and checked, either by themselves or an independant engineering company.These documents should have been confiscated by the police within hours of the collapse, not days. If these are not adequate then the contractor cannot be held responsible unless on top of the incorrect calcs it can also be proved he was cutting corners. Inferior grade structural steel, watering down of concrete, no slump tests, reducing the required amount of reinforcing as well as using low grade steel. Welded connections, (these are often tack welded by inexperienced workers and never finished). In addition to all this the Inspectors from the Department of works are in deep trouble, either through pure inefficiency and not making correct inspections or as is more likely, accepting bribes to look the other way. The excuse that no one was not killed or injured no way reduces the seriousness of the collapse. The only fortunate thing as those responsible are not facing manslaughter charges as well as all the other charges they should face.

Hate to say it, but...typical. Makes you wonder about Pattaya's tunnel. By the way, something I didn't know until a visit to City Hall is that there are 3 tunnels planned. The current one plus one under North Pattaya Road and a very long one under South Pattaya Road and Thepprasit. So, if they go forward it looks like we are looking at tunnel construction for maybe the next 10 years.

There was heavy rain and ! and ! storm which brought the bridge to collapse !

Geez, everybody knows that heavy rain can bring down a properly engineered and built bridge.

coffee1.gif

Oh well, perhaps another 9m baht to the same company to build it again? Perhaps there are some family political connections....

coffee1.gif

1. Were the bridge drawings and specifications drawn up by an engineer qualified and experienced in this area of engineering?

2. Were the drawings and specifications approved by a senior experienced engineer?

3. Did the construction company have any previous experience in bridge building / this type of bridge building?

4. Did the construction company owner or a senior employee know how to read the specifications and understand them and understand the physics, load equations etc?

5.Can the construction company show clearly that construction was supervised appropriately?

7. How come the appropriate government department did not notice much earlier that the construction was wrong / incorrect / lacking, etc., etc., etc.

8. Sounds like there was approval for it to be used (but not yet used). Who gave the approval, was it an appropriate engineer?

and more...

....oh!......and did they put mango in the somtam?

Surely there where staged payments tied to inspections and progress reports. Who signed off on those? I know TIT but when countless lives are at risk when something goes wrong, surely this can't just be fobbed off as TIT.

Farang think too much.

Not good.

Some people see a collapsed bridge....... others see lottery numbers.

Change your perspective unhappy farangs.

coffee1.gif

you right, we think too much. We should stop thinking.

Wind at just the right speed can cause harmonic vibrations in suspension bridges and power cables, and for power cables it is often just a slight breeze. You will see the illustrated dampers on power cables, located a metre or so from each tower. Understanding the mechanics of flutter of suspension bridges is fairly advanced engineering, and the knowledge of it was possibly not one of the major considerations of those who wrote the contract.

dampers-1.jpg

Engineering?.................nah...just use the locals .......they know how to do it...........governments paying...... but we can keep the change!

The incompetence continues to shine everywhere............the moneys gone....the bridge collapsed.........we'll ask for another grant!!

and more...

....oh!......and did they put mango in the somtam?

Yes...the mango did get to the Somtam.........but the other 9 questions are probably best answered by the Pu Yai.............

Surely there where staged payments tied to inspections and progress reports. Who signed off on those? I know TIT but when countless lives are at risk when something goes wrong, surely this can't just be fobbed off as TIT.

Farang think too much.

Not good.

coffee1.gif

So, it must have been bad thai engineering (like many times (likely) or someone stand naked near the bridge (unlikely) whistling.gif

any photos before and after

I wonder how much of that budget was actually spent on the bridge

Only of the after....

4KEp142.png

Pic: ThaiRath

2,9 m wide ?

Maybe 1,9 but surely not 2,9 m

I am sure you are correct. 2.9 would have enabled some idiot in a car to attempt a crossing. Let's settle for 1.9.thumbsup.gif

"...Substandard construction was blamed for the collapse..."

Great Sherlock like observation.

You forgot to mention the lack of money to buy quality materials and quality engineers due to too much kickback money going into one or more official's pocket.

Edited by oneday

Let's not forget Galopping Gertie built in the almighty, all powerful, all wonderful, all perfect yoo-ess-eh?

post-215692-0-00915600-1437575369_thumb.

post-215692-0-99090100-1437575382_thumb.

Let's not forget Galopping Gertie built in the almighty, all powerful, all wonderful, all perfect yoo-ess-eh?

I think if you cared to investigate closely and review the engineering reports on the Tacoma bridge failure you might see / learn there is a major difference in the mode of failure between these two events.

This is very sad for Thailand. The Thais realize that there is a problem with the bridge. They know all along. The bridge is being built incorrectly. So much corruption. But no one speaks up. They will let the drama play out. In this case Buddha made the bridge collapse before anyone died.

What ? Your words defy belief.

Which was 1.8km long. That's more than mile, for those who come from one of the three last countries using the imperial system.

Using 1930's technology.

Yes, let's not forget that as a comparison.

coffee1.gif

Farang think too much.

Not good.

Yes better to be thai who have no pride in their work, no value on human life, very corrupt and very mistakenly think they are a superior race when reality like this event shows how backward they really are.

Yes i think you sum up thais very well, they dont think at all....

coffee1.gif