Thai Police gear up to enforce Public Gatherings Act in mid August

webfact

Police gear up to enforce Public Gatherings Act in mid August

BANGKOK, 22 July 2015 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police has warned that as the Public Gatherings Act is due to be enforced on August 13, activist groups need to strictly adhere to new regulations stipulated by the act.

According to the Police spokesman, the act requires organizers of a rally to notify police in the area 24 hours prior to the event. If local police object to the staging of the rally, organizers are allowed to appeal to higher-ranking authorities. Protesters who violate the imposing ban will have the rally broken up by police.

The Public Gatherings Act consists of 35 sections which also include bans on gatherings within 50 metres from the Government House, the parliament or the court. The act is designed to minimize the impact of rallies on the public.

The police added that the act also stipulated that any crowd control plans must be approved by the cabinet before being implemented on protesters. Any violation of the rule will result in a jail term of 6 months to 10 years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-22 footer_n.gif

Little by little, bit by bit, the slippery slope of implementing a controlling (we can't use the more appropriate 'C' word that best describes China/Russia) regime is beginning to unfold and take shape.

Mr. P will not hold elections until there is a 1 party system in place, which will be 'democratically' elected. Voila.

Well, cheerleaders. Please explain to me how this is a good thing.

Why is it that when the Thai authorities announce they're going to do something.... many TV posters never believe they'll do it.

Until they announce something that fits some unwavering conspiracy theory. Then, we need to take the announcements dead seriously, and the sky is falling.

Wake me up when they start pulling out fingernails. Until now, I'm pretty favorably impressed by what they junta have done.

The usual: 'Every country has limits on etc etc and did you know Thaksin is a convicted criminal fugitive... Red shirts... Rice scheme... Yingluck...'

There you go, I have saved you the bother...

Why is it that when the Thai authorities announce they're going to do something.... many TV posters never believe they'll do it.

Until they announce something that fits some unwavering conspiracy theory. Then, we need to take the announcements dead seriously, and the sky is falling.

Wake me up when they start pulling out fingernails. Until now, I'm pretty favorably impressed by what they junta have done.

By then it will be too late!

The usual: 'Every country has limits on etc etc and did you know Thaksin is a convicted criminal fugitive... Red shirts... Rice scheme... Yingluck...'

Sorry to criticise, but you forgot the all important " The Thais/Thailand is not ready for democracy/ elections / press freedom/ freedom of speech/ freedom of assembly, and quite possibly eating sandwiches and reading novels by George Orwell.

Sorry to criticise, but you forgot the all important " The Thais/Thailand is not ready for democracy/ elections / press freedom/ freedom of speech/ freedom of assembly, and quite possibly eating sandwiches and reading novels by George Orwell.

Begpardon. D'you want that photo from the Cambodia Daily or the tourist arrivals graph, or is that too much like breaking out the heavy artillery like their heroes are so fond of doing?

prey tell, what have they done exactly?

"If local police object to the staging of the rally, organizers are allowed to appeal to higher-ranking authorities"

And then? Have that appeal rejected I would assume.... and then what? Do it anyway?

Somewhat pathetic that defenders of the junta seek to rationalize the takeover by saying "well they screw up and it really won't happen". So seems we can love the junta if we 1. don't believe what they say 2. are incapable of doing draconian enforcement anyway

Let's hear it for high grade ineptitude!

Same as in my country you need a permit to protest, you need to inform the authorities so they can have police ready. Sometimes they won't allow you to protest.

So not that different from other civilized countries, so they can make sure there is enough police and toilets ect.

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if you’re the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• date and time of the march
  • route
  • the names and addresses of the organisers

The police have the power to:

• limit or change the route of your march
  • set any other condition of your march

https://www.gov.uk/protests-and-marches-letting-the-police-know

Edited by robblok

Begpardon. D'you want that photo from the Cambodia Daily or the tourist arrivals graph, or is that too much like breaking out the heavy artillery like their heroes are so fond of doing?

The three of you are just baiting, trying to get a bite from someone so you can attack them.

Hope you are all ignored just to spoil your ploy.

The three of you are just baiting, trying to get a bite from someone so you can attack them.

Ah, yes, it's a conspiracy (probably instigated by Valdemort in Dubai). The plot chickens!

prey tell, what have they done exactly?

Well, according to junta polls, the junta is very popular, and according to junta press releases, the rest of the world undertands and agrees with the junta's actions, not to mention the overwhelming success in eliminating all forms of corruption, and controlling the lottery.

So, for someone who just accepts the news at face value, without a shred of analysis or alternative fact gathering, I guess they are very impressive.

Same as in my country you need a permit to protest, you need to inform the authorities so they can have police ready. Sometimes they won't allow you to protest.

So not that different from other civilized countries, so they can make sure there is enough police and toilets ect.

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if you’re the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• route

And of course this law will be applied equally and without bias, and never be used to give one side advantage over the other.

Looks like it worked to me...

Tell the police the:

• route

And of course this law will be applied equally and without bias, and never be used to give one side advantage over the other.

Of course it will! I mean just look at how these Krabi hunger strike protestors are being treated. They all got locked up the same as the 14 students and... oh no... wait a second!

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if youre the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• route

When you say that in your country you have to inform the authorities, does that mean you have to request permission from the police as opposed to advising them?

The tide started going out on April the 1st ......when the Article 44 was announced .

The powers that be are under an international spotlight ...trying to avoiding crushing seafood sanctions ....

Hoping YS runs from their judicial system .

Complexed by trials of accused Burmese

Watching droughts eat into their propaganda machines ability to appease.

Students supported by international human rights organisations being egged on.

USA starting to claw into their flesh with statements that their not even recognised as a legal governing body.

A tier report due soon that might not be good news ..

Aviation problems

Economy .

The happiness returning just isn't happening ....in noticeable measures .

Major opinion pieces get printed almost daily.

With all that as a back drop we now face what was always going to be the headline act.

The people .

Fear is giving way to frustration and anger ...soon the streets will flood with many then a mass.....then what?

Who will order what?

That will be when their poker face is shown .

Who will dare try and quell the protests of the people?

Ironically it might be the same forces behind warning a democracy not to act against them in 2013 December - January 2014...

And if the unthinkable occurs and civilians are shot ....then the pundits might yet be right.

And what could possibly happen to stand in the way of all this?

Yes that might happen too

Does this mean attendees at gatherings of vocational school students praising the dear leader will have to face consequences?

This is what it's all about, enforcement and in a fair and equal manner.

The BIB etc aren't big on enforcement and when action or lack thereof applies we have seen just how selective it can be. Time will tell.

Tell the police the:

• route

It must be reassuring for you to know that your homeland shares a common philosophy towards public protest as a country run by a military regime which is under constant criticism from the international community for its abrogation of human rights.

Doesn't all that sand make your ears itch?

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if youre the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• route

When you say that in your country you have to inform the authorities, does that mean you have to request permission from the police as opposed to advising them?

Ask permission.. same as in the UK where the police can stop it. But hey bash the junta all you want not realizing that in your precious home countries there are similar laws.

You guys are hilarious.. i come up with facts that in other countries you got similar rules and all of a sudden you guys change the angle.

Saying it will be misused (without it even existing now so no proof of misuse).

Seems you need to bash the junta at all cost cheesy.gif

And yes in my country quite often demonstrations are banned, and I never heard amnesty international complain about the Netherlands.