PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges

webfact

1) existing entertainment venues and bars with licenses are exempt from this.

2) entertainment areas like Soi Cowboy, Siam Paragon etc are exempt from this.

3) the law refers to universities and technical colleges, not any school.

look like a lot of misleading information on this forum. Also bear in mind, if and when this law comes into effect,it's also about whether it will be enforced or not or how it will be enforced.

the last time a lot misleading information was circulated was when people talked about some ban on beer girls, alcohol advertisement and so on.

It's entertainment zones that are exempt, isn't it, not entertainment areas. Is Paragon (and Cowboy for that matter) an actual designated entertainment zone under law..? I'm pretty sure it's not.

I doubt this bill will be rigorously enforced either though, but as it stands those areas you list aren't in official entertainment zones. I could be wrong but that's how it was a few years ago anyway, things might have changed.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prohibition...Mr Prayut..ever heard of it? Capone, Luciano, Lansky, Costello etc.

Ok maybe it's not quite prohibition but trying to ban the sale of Alcohol never works and the stricter you become the more crime is created.

They should concentrate spending on education for the poor not on depriving people of the little pleasures they have by wielding a big stick

This will not help tackling under age drinking at all.

1. Wether it is 300 or 500 m doesn't matter, as students can still drive to a far enough place, or simply have booze stored in their vehicles.

2. Certain alcohol selling times do not help either, as students, like the rest of us, can buy alcohol during legal hours.

3. These silly rules are affecting all adult residents, tourists, shops and restaurants and will therefore further weaken the economic

situation.

4. The only way to ban underage drinking effectively, is asking youg looking folks always to show an ID, no matter the time or location.

Most of the students in these institutions are already old enough to drink legally anyway. If anything, they should make the ban 300 Metres from Elementary schools where alcohol is more of a problem. By the time these students get to university they have been drinking for many years, and having to go a few hundred metres further will not deter them. Let's work on stopping the younger kids from getting hooked on alcohol & cigarettes first.

Yeah, I hate it when those 6th graders grab all the barstools at Playskool in Cowboy. Close it!

Governments have tried to mitigate alcohol consumption by restricting sales, where it can be consumed, etc. for decades and it doesn't work. Prohibition in the US, of course, comes to mind. Singapore passed a far more restrictive law on alcohol sales/consumption just this year. Ban on both sales and public consumption after 10:30 in most areas.

Zakk9,s graphic is interesting but stack up these statistics to other countries (US, USSR, Western & Eastern Europe) around the world, ASEAN populations are "teetotallers". by comparison.

Yes, education and alcohol simply don't go together. I'd make it 500 metres myself. And how about a ban on cigarettes as well ?

The Marlboro Man would not take to kindly to that. Reminds of a story when I was around 8 years old. I was out with my sainted Mennonite grandmother we were selling vegetables and eggs etc in the city. She a good client base. As we were walking along I saw this big butt smoldering on the sidewalk. Being curious I bent over to pick it up and suddenly my grandmothers foot came down on the butt squashing it. She then looked sternly at me and said and I will never forget this "If the good lord meant you to smoke he would have put a chimney on your head" To this day I have not smoked. We then continued on to the bus station to catch the bus back home. I always got a large 5 cent chocolate ice cream cone there what a treat.

Edited by elgordo38

A newspaper report states Thailand leading the way in banning alcohol sales.

piffle! The bars and clubs will simply relocate ! (if their businesses suffer!)

Been around any provincial campus sites where there are hundreds of small apartment blocks designed for students ? These are well "off-campus" and the nightlife is vibrant !

Students will just find the nearest legal (or illegal) place to drink ................. get real people!

The students, as well as most others in Thailand, get their alcohol from 7-Eleven and other convenience stores. I doubt that there are many countries in the world where access to alcohol is as easy as here.

Correction. There are MANY countries where alcohol is EASIER to get than here.

... and 7/11s are worldwide.

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

Nice idiotic, offensive, bordering on racist post there.

Well done.

Pulls racism card. Dies from paper cut.

Try comprehending the meaning of the word before using it..

cheesy.gif

Maybe its too simple, but why don't they just ask customers who look like they might be of student age for ID

to show they are over 20 years old which is the legal age to buy alcohol.

cheesy.gif Guy in my building was having pre-teen kids bringing him alcohol as he was lazy. How naïve of you, mate

The link to this article from my email said, "New booze ban could see Siam Paragon, CentralWorld, Soi Cowboy go dry." Inaccurate! The topic links to

"PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges"

Well, first, that's not what the topic says, nor the content of the topic. So, why aren't the fact's straight? Why the disconnect. Why sensationalize?

Then, if true New booze ban could see Siam Paragon, CentralWorld, Soi Cowboy go dry, then here's my humble opinion:

post-87058-0-64042500-1437646447_thumb.j

Edited by connda

A newspaper report states Thailand leading the way in banning alcohol sales.

piffle! The bars and clubs will simply relocate ! (if their businesses suffer!)

Been around any provincial campus sites where there are hundreds of small apartment blocks designed for students ? These are well "off-campus" and the nightlife is vibrant !

Students will just find the nearest legal (or illegal) place to drink ................. get real people!

The students, as well as most others in Thailand, get their alcohol from 7-Eleven and other convenience stores. I doubt that there are many countries in the world where access to alcohol is as easy as here.

Whe I went to Austria many years ago there were vending machines in public places including the street and Youth Hostels selling bottles of beer. Very nice too.

Not too familiar with Bangkok too much but how does this ban on alcohol sales near universities cause Soi Cowboy to go dry? Are there nearby Universities?

Srinakarin Silpakorn University, about 700 meters up Soi 23. Think Coconuts got the map wrong...

Yet another move to benefit the elite, so the big hotel is exempt but the small cafe or shop that legally and in good faith opened within 300 meters is screwed.

See it as a good upgrade. Youth should not drink alcohol.

Got nothing to do with screwing the small sellers.

Besides my last comment, seems the people who sit on there butt all day behind a computer watchin the latest news here have most to comment with disagree.

Please for once, be positive, i know its hard and it hurts, but its really a good thing.

Clearly, it should be up to the parents to educate theirs sunshines on the dangers of alcohol and smoking? And schools should do their bits too, education wise?

I am already annoyed that I must already check my watch first before being able to buy any alcohol (unless I go to my friendly shop near my house), a silly law to restrict sales times. And students don't exactly make up the majority of the population, right? Had lunch in a restaurant in BKK a few weeks ago, could not get a beer as it was after 2pm, ridiculous.

The US is a prime example of silly liquor laws (yes, I can hear some Americans scream already, I know I know). A young American can get a drivers licence at age 14, get married at 15 or join the Army at 17 (all with parental permission, in some States only). But not allowed to drink any alcohol until 21 years of age? And how does that work for them? Yes, NOT, I know! When I studied in the US, we even had a pub on the premises, open every Friday night.

I am by all means not a heavy drinker but I really don't like it when I am told when I can do what and when not.

And could the seemingly high numbers of alcohol consumption possibly have something to do with the number of tourists to Thailand?

Already, the government is getting rid of open air food outlets in BKK, now trying to kill off small shops, all resulting in more unemployment and poorer people. Makes a heck of a lot of sense, doesn't it!

Okay, a couple of thoughts. As others have mentioned, why not enforce the existing law which bans sales to whose under 18? Then prosecute those who break the EXISTING law. Everyone carries ID. Ask to see it or no sale. Not too difficult is it? But that is the problem - it's too easy, and Thailand always has to find ways to make simple things hard.

Second, if they ban sales near universities, the students can simply go and buy it where they live. Then they don't have the bother of carrying it home. So let's ban all sales everywhere in case they catch on to that idea.

Third, how about a bit of responsible parenting. Oh sorry, that's an unknown concept in Thailand. If their kid comes home reeking of cheap whisky, deal with it. My father would have done.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Not too familiar with Bangkok too much but how does this ban on alcohol sales near universities cause Soi Cowboy to go dry? Are there nearby Universities?

Srinakarin Silpakorn University, about 700 meters up Soi 23. Think Coconuts got the map wrong...

It does say vocational training under the act and this would cover language schools too. That really widens the list.

Are they completely mad? Oh yes, they are and unelected as well of course. The livelihood of hundreds, possibly thousands of poorer Thais who work in the establishments affected has just been ruined. Well done Prayut.

Are they completely mad? Oh yes, they are and unelected as well of course. The livelihood of hundreds, possibly thousands of poorer Thais who work in the establishments affected has just been ruined. Well done Prayut.

Yeah well done, even if they can not sell liquor, they still will survive.