PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges

webfact

This is a very good decision since coup government taken charge, probably 100-150 meters away from schools and universities is OK. Earlier governments were funded by drinks manufacturers who wants a free flow (wind fall?) sale!

Big trouble will be 7-11s operating there. Anyhow regular drinkers can walk little bit more to get it from next shop, will be a good exercise too.

your opinion and the proposal make very little sense .......... a parent involved with there child , well , that makes more sense , parental involvement in students life to much to ask for in thailand ? is there a need for a law like this ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually sounds reasonable western world has this sort of thing all over the place

Where? I've never heard of such a ridiculous thing anywhere in Europe, it's just too insane to imagine. Every university in Britain has a student union with a bar, for chrissakes, and is all the better for it.. Perhaps a puritanical nutcase place like the USA would have such laws, though.

Edited by sprq

Besides my last comment, seems the people who sit on there butt all day behind a computer watchin the latest news here have most to comment with disagree.

Please for once, be positive, i know its hard and it hurts, but its really a good thing.

Why is it a good thing? What is good about it? Why should the general public and local businesses suffer for the sole reason that the police do not do their job of prosecuting outlets that serve under age customers? There is a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol to under age persons and that is all that is needed. For god's sake, they sell alcohol at universities in Europe, treating students like adults, which they are, under the law.

I have a feeling this law will be enforced very selectively. Also, to those who believe this puritanical nanny state type of thinking is unique or new to PM Prayut and his government, I might remind them that this BS goes back at least to the days of Thaksin, where his joyless, self-righteous interior minister Purachai did his best to kill off all nightlife. For a while there bars were routinely being closed at 11:30PM.

The only trouble is that it will encourage those living on campus to drive their cars / motorbikes when they go out for a few drinks after class.

Yeah, this will really get the university students to curtail their drinking habits. The government figures they won't be smart enough to drive outside the zone to tank up. Good one!

Phitsanulok: a whiskeybar right next to the campus and filled with students. Big letters out front: coffeebar. I went inside and asked for a coffee.

No have. But...... Turns out it is a whiskeybar. I asked for a glass of whiskey. No have but....

The waitress walked away and there was no further service. I decided to just walk and just have another learning of thainess.

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

No, they're not. The whingers have barely been away from a barstool. 555

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

Just a question, how many gun shops are allowed within a mile of a university. You are not allowed to buy a drink but totally fine to buy a gun. America is the most messed up country yet they refuse to admit it. Yet you think there should be pride in following Americas example.

Ban Bananas.

I always ate a lot of bananas before taking a college exam.

Don't know why. Just hear the potassium "rush" would help.

+ Make them go to bed early.

+ Mandatory study hall.

+ No alcohol near campus.

+ No "mingling" with the other sex.

Go For It, Prime Minister.

If you're going to be absurd and ridiculous --- go ahead full steam !

The "average" IQ of a Thai is just above a door knob. Might as well try it !!

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

What can we refer to them as? The unelected army run govt? Or just clowns? Edited by Thai at Heart

What a silly law.

There are surely many far more sensible ways to inhibit alcohol consumption amongst the young without damaging the livlihoods of others or the infringing upon the freedoms of all, from the hard worker in an office or a shop etc at the end of the working day denied his favourite haunt, to the pleasure seeking tourist intent upon spending his hard earned money the way he/she wants, and within reason.

Age restrictions more strictly enforced at point of sale has been mentioned. Bigger penalties for infringement, either way, has not.

More vigorous enforcement of anti-social drunkeness (including drink driving) is another option. Community service combined with an awareness course for the slightest infringement would be a deterring factor.

Education, at source, about all the various health implications is necessity.

There are surely many more avenues to explore.

Old Mother Prayut seems determined go down in the history of Thailand as the nanny of all nannies who seems motivated as much by his own values as by the worth of the cause he enhances. He stumbles through with his half-cocked Puritanical laws as if on some divinely inspired mission to clean the country up.

The problem is, he always seems to come at things from the wrong end and even then he only scratches at the surface.

Yes, there are merits behind his thinking, but his proposed legislation is all of clumsy, ill-thought out and unworkable.

It will likely do as much harm as it manges to achieve for the good.

Just tax it all by alcohol percentage, Lao kao included.

Just a question, how many gun shops are allowed within a mile of a university. You are not allowed to buy a drink but totally fine to buy a gun. America is the most messed up country yet they refuse to admit it. Yet you think there should be pride in following Americas example.

On the off chance that you can actually comprehend what you're reading, this thread is a discussion regarding a new ban on alcohol near tertiary schools in the country of Thailand.

Edited by TheAppletons

Yes, education and alcohol simply don't go together. I'd make it 500 metres myself. And how about a ban on cigarettes as well ?

Why stop there. How about banning salty snacks, sugary drinks, calorie loaded candy, deep fried foods and on and on? Who decides what is not good and what is?

One ban doesn't affect the advocate, until the advocates favorite "sin" is also up for banishment.

so in Chiang Mai Zoe in Yellow has to close and all other bars at this place in CM, wow 2000 to 3000 people have to find new place now every night!!

will never happend ...

95% of Chiang Mai has to close, starting to look like North Korea over here.

I've never been to North Korean. What's it like living there? Personal experience please.

On the off chance that you can actually comprehend what you're reading, this thread is a discussion regarding a new ban on alcohol near tertiary schools in the country of Thailand.

I guess you missed my point. Nevermind, It's a shame that you can't comprehend things.

I have to ask, what is the objective of that, as the legal age for drinking in the US is 21? How many are actually affected?

Edited by halloween

"However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree."

Well, now that's as vague as can be. What are the other ''service operators"?

A silly law that will not change a single thing, nor actuate Thailand Moves Forward.

And what a bribe fest for the BIB!

"However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree."

Well, now that's as vague as can be. What are the other ''service operators"?

A silly law that will not change a single thing, nor actuate Thailand Moves Forward.

And what a bribe fest for the BIB!

This just a guess, but I don't think Soi Cowboy was established under royal decree.

Edited by halloween

The whole licensing situation needs a complete overhaul to restrict takeaway sales as Indonesia has had the balls to do.

Stop 7/11's selling alcohol. Licensed supermarkets & bottle shops only with restricted hours.

Pubs, hotels , restaurants with the proper licenses can continue as the boys in brown know where they are & are controlled.

Street vendors selling alcohol should be stopped forthwith & large fines for those that continue.

As to who can purchase it just comes back to enforcing the law by checking ID (all have a photo) for age verification.

If in doubt the seller just says NO

Yes, education and alcohol simply don't go together. I'd make it 500 metres myself. And how about a ban on cigarettes as well ?

It's a big smoke only.

500 meters by foot it takes 4 minutes, but the youths use motorcycle ...

The whole licensing situation needs a complete overhaul to restrict takeaway sales as Indonesia has had the balls to do.

Stop 7/11's selling alcohol. Licensed supermarkets & bottle shops only with restricted hours.

Pubs, hotels , restaurants with the proper licenses can continue as the boys in brown know where they are & are controlled.

Street vendors selling alcohol should be stopped forthwith & large fines for those that continue.

As to who can purchase it just comes back to enforcing the law by checking ID (all have a photo) for age verification.

If in doubt the seller just says NO

While not disagreeing with those measures, they are highly unlikely to be unpopular with a large segment of the population, which rules them out as election policy. Should we actually see a "responsible" elected government who enacted such policy, their "get elected at any cost" opposition would likely promise to revoke them as policy at the next election.