Decisions made for returning to the USA

bwpage3

When talking about living in Florida on ThaiVisa it always comes to beach ... beach... beach... etc.

There are great places to live in Florida that are nowhere near the beach and the beach is never more than a few hours drive away.

Plus, you've never seen one of these pointing towards the beach:

hurricane-evacuation-route.jpg

Wow! What's that for? Hurricanes?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When talking about living in Florida on ThaiVisa it always comes to beach ... beach... beach... etc.

There are great places to live in Florida that are nowhere near the beach and the beach is never more than a few hours drive away.

Evacuation-Route-Sign-NHE-9467_300.gif

Are those bullet holes in the arrow? (another potential problem)

Either bullet holes or bolts to clamp the sign to the post

odds are 50/50

Having to wait 16 month apart before they could come to the USA seems crazy. Happy that it all worked out but people reading this shouldn't assume that will be the norm.

Actually, the norm is 18 months.

bah.gif

Yes. I had to go throught homeland security, before the visa was forwarded to Bangkok. That, alone, takes six months. Aftter that...It was another 9 months to get the appointment. She was shot down, as I also did not have an address in the states. (My mother, who was still alive at that time, needed us to care for her in her home). The embassy said....no way...I needed a house of my own and a job. (I am retired military and disabled). So much for the service angle. I just stayed overseas too long (20 years).

Now it is all expired..and need to do the whole thing anew. Homeland security...Embassy appointment...and the entire package. Cannot even start until I have logged six months at a permanent "Physical Address" in the USA.

Thinking of not doing the Fiancee visa...just marrying her here and getting it registered at the Embassy. From there..we will just wait on an Immigration Visa..if and when it does happen.

1800 dollars in the hole already. Have to do it right next time.

They could not figure out the "Retired living in Thailand" part. Then again...is it really what we want? We have it very good here in Thailand. I am not an Engineer..nor am I upwardly mobile. Our quality of life will actually go down...for two or three years...and she would have to work 40 hours a week.

Interesting. My British pal went back with to the UK with his Thai wife (from Bangkok) and son, then a baby. He can't wait to come back, she wants to stay ... Whoops. He, like me, can't stand the way the UK has become. Annual visits for a month, fine, but I could never, ever live there again.

The thing is, she got a job with some other Thais, doing import/export work in an office, so she's done what many Thais abroad do - gravitate to the Thai community. They very rarely integrate with their host country and population, but stay apart.

I have a former girlfriend from Buriram (very pretty too) who married an Aussie in Melbourne - she loves it, but she too has only Thai friends, and doesn't mix much with the locals.

Another old student of mine went to Sydney about 6 years ago, married an Aussie and is happy there, but HE has had to integrate with HER friends - I see photos where he just stands on the sidelines, while the Thais sit on the floor with platefuls of food around them. She says that she loves Oz, but (apart from her husband) hates Aussie men. Her opinion, not mine.

And as to the OP, well, he hasn't seemed to grasp that everyone and their circumstances are different. He may well have done well for himself, but what if things in the States start to pall economically, or his wife gets homesick, or wants to meet other Thai people? Could the OP accept that and be OK with her integrating with her own people alone?

As for me, well, I have a 97 year old mum. I'd like go back for her final years, but the hoops I'd have to jump through - firstly, I haven't yet taken my UK State pension, but deferred it 2 years until I'm 67 next January. That will either give me an enhanced monthly payment, or the normal pension with a hefty (taxable at 20%) lump sum, which would be a nice buffer for when times are hard. I also have 3 smaller pensions which would give me a pretty decent income here in Thailand once I get the State pension too.

However, IF I wanted to go back to spend more time with my mum, well, I can't. Being a pensioner then, I will not fulfil the financial requirement to have an income of £18,600 a year (soon to rise to £18,800). So I'd have to do a well-known work-around called the Surinder Singh route, meaning I'd have to spend a minimum of 90 days (it's usually more in reality) in another EU country (most choose Ireland) and 'engage in economic activity'. Then we can enter the UK, but what then?

I'd have eaten into my savings, no-one can afford a house in the UK any more and I could see me being in a little rented council flat (if I was even eligible) sitting on second hand furniture, my wife working 40 hours a week and me stuck at home. No thanks.

Here, I have a great set of in-laws, very supportive, never ask me for a bean, nice climate, nice food, a few beers a week and in the UK with its austerity-driven politics, I'd be out in the streets in a year.

Sod that, here's the place with all its irritations, bureaucracy, etc. I have a great rented house, great neighbours, and I'd far rather be here, even under martial law than in the UK under any of the UK Governments they've had in the last 20 years.

You see OP, everyone and their circumstances are different. Stay humble, enjoy your life and hope it doesn't go sour ...

BTW, how old did you say you are ...?

Edited by Mister Fixit

odds are 50/50

Nice grouping if they are bullet holes ...

...plus is Thailand missing this: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/health/2015/06/12/florida-flesh-eating-bacteria/71131584/

Hey, Mesquite - that was not by any chance an attempt to get me to post a list and photos of my assets, huh? smile.png Let's leave it by I just know, ok? I had to put that remark in because I know that others then would say that i wrote what I did out of envy. That's not the case. I am happy for anyone who made it, but my point was that the OP's post might give many readers a wrong idea - such as grass is always greener in neighbor's garden, Thailand getting difficult - well, just move! I made it, so can you!... But there are plenty of odds - many expats in Thailand might now have a doctorate in technical engineering, etc. that would land them a job overseas just like that. Given the preconditions of the OP, it is no miracle and not difficult to go back and make a living there again, but such preconditions most here won't have. I have deepest regards for anyone who works his way out of a slum to richs, etc. but if anyone with lots of cash in the bank, best papers and knowledge to get high paid jobs thrown at him, makes it back to his home country and builds a new life there, I'd say it is just normal - nothing special. Anyone could do that, so what's the point? If I would ever go back to Europ after selling everything here, I'd have a great life there too and would be a self made man again as I hate to work for anyone else who tells me what and not to do. But I wouldn't post that as a success story in a forum, because it wouldn't be one. It is just normal life, going on with best preconditions. Amazing would be to see someone going back penniless and then hitting the jackpot. That would motivate others to try it too. And it would be something worthwile writing about. But not - "Well look, I have lots of cash, doctorate in metaphysics, raised a family here, but then moved with them to there, ain't that something? Isn't that inspiring?"

Sour grapes?

Success stories like this are hard to find. Why were you in Thailand to begin with? Nice temples?

If it was then I will give your scene a great chance at success. Typically these situations don't last because men taking wives from Thailand have certain character flaws whistling.gif which creep up every now and again on both sides making "normal" lives and relationships, which you seem to be alluding to, untenable.

Why do you have to imply that all men coming to Thailand are doing it for the women, or that they are men who can't get a hot woman in their own country?

Some of us came here for real work, in my case I was head hunted and offered an amazing package to come here from Hong Kong.

Not all of us find Asian girls hotter than Western girls, I grew up in Asia so to me Asian girls are nothing special, plus the Western women I was surrounded by in HK make the average Thai look decidedly average. Plus with a Western girl you share language, culture and usually a similar level of education.

To the OP, great hearing you are happy and congrats on a nice house and lifestyle. Your wife looks and sounds nice too.

Personally I plan to stay in Thailand although I am also looking longer term at the possibility of moving to Myanmar and building an eco resort on one of the many islands they have.

I have read a lot of the posts on here, some for the OP and some against, I liked a lot of them because they contain some real good diverse and well thought out opinions.

For me though the OP seems to be in his OP trying to sort of convince himself that he has done the right thing in moving back to the USA and then summarising justifying his reasons in the posting his OP

Maybe He liked the LOS a little more than he truly admits and is in fact maybe trying to convince himself more than any of us that he has done the right move

His summary is well written but not really well balanced, for all the positives he makes about the good ol USA he could equally make other positives about Thailand, its all down to perspective, experience and adaptability.

I have friends who hate the people, the place and dont know why they stay.

Sounds illogical to me, maybe they like me, like a moan now and again, a trait that I find common in most of those who like me are a little past their best sell by date but they like me also have vested interests in this place that they cannot really move away from, so they moan and then post with all their pent up rants on here but given the opportunity most of them IMO would take a rain check on going back to their places of origin.

With all its faults and there are many I dont think that I have met people who are so laid back and friendly in all my meanderings around the world

I am frustrated by so many things in Thailand but so happy with so many more and until the bottom falls out of my market I intend to call it home

Edited by n210mp

I am not really sure why people are asking or why they think it is relevant why the OP chose to come to Thailand and stay for ten years when he knew he wanted to go back...people have been asking "Why did he even come here in the first place" that is ridiculous people can make long term plans to stay somewhere with the idea that after that allotted time period is up, they will return home...not a hard concept to grasp

I think it was a nice post by the OP. I did not see anything boastful about it. He has a nice family, a nice job - he should be proud of where he is at in his life.

All the best for to him. smile.png

Five will get you ten that a post about moving back to Detroit gets the deep six in a NY minute.biggrin.png

No, no hidden agenda here. cheesy.gif

I am not really sure why people are asking or why they think it is relevant why the OP chose to come to Thailand and stay for ten years when he knew he wanted to go back...people have been asking "Why did he even come here in the first place" that is ridiculous people can make long term plans to stay somewhere with the idea that after that allotted time period is up, they will return home...not a hard concept to grasp

Personally I think n210mp said it well....maybe the OP is just trying to convince himself he did the right thing. So the question of why he moved to Thailand and lived here 10 years is VERY relevant. In fact it was OP who mentioned it.....so just asking the question "Why" is just a comment on his post.....if you don't ask ...you never know!

Maybe it's too personal....BUT can't get any more personal than posting a picture of your wife can you?

So ...actually it was a simple question

Why Thailand?

And 10 Years?

And just as a side note .....curious as to his age?

Edited by beachproperty

For me , the most important sentence in your story is : " I have an advanced education in Engineering and it was easy to find a very high paying job in the USA" .

That explains a lot . For people without it , it would not be so great.

I have no such degree and I'm doing just fine($40k/yr job). I'm able to afford to travel to Thailand. It would help if you didn't live in high cost places like California and New York where you need to be rich to survive.

A great read. I hope I'm not repeating another posters response. I started this post and then got tied up with another project.

My wife came here to the US and assimilated rapidly much like you state as your situation. She became a US citizen and we never returned to Thailand for 40 years.

Then I retired and we decided to take long vacations in Thailand. That would have been easy, except for the fact that she had not kept her ID card and passport renewed.

She had been declared deceased and it took much effort, traveling, digging up school records and witnesses to get her brought back to life.

We then decided to build a vacation home there and to spend about 6-12 months every 2 years in Thailand. Her documents now make it easy for me to obtain the necessary visa.

We don't have children, but if I did I would also want to keep their documents updated to enable them to visit, or live in either country.

Just a suggestion that you keep the wife and children's Thai documents in order even if they become US citizens in the future.

Edited by jonnit

Sounds fantastic!....

Not wishing to sound downbeat ....was curious about Florida and the crime rate, hurricanes and the mosquito and bugs.....have heard horrendous stories

Moved to Thailand 10 years ago and have 6 units ON the beach and close to Bangkok (cost $150,000... new build) ....Low crime (actually never experienced any but know its there), NO hurricanes or sunami's, and bugs are minimal as coastal wind pushes them inland. No property taxes, low electricity and water bills etc.....Corruption? yeah....but for me I don't mind paying a few hundred Baht ($10) for speeding tickets (or whatever....driving in righthand lane instead of lefthand lane) or to get something done quicky. Corruption vs Bureaucy in my opinion so about the same.

Yours sounds like a good story (and well written) but as you said "not for everyone" ....Happy in Thailand now! and unless things change for the worse, here till I die (I actually find it better than the US where I am the foreigner there now....soooo many immigrants).

different strokes for different folkes but he sounds like he happy and sells the usa well but we all know that the good old UK free health free every thing and you dont even have to work now thats the place to live and no nasty animals well maybe a few other human beings but beside that its heaven if you dont mind being in a country where an english person a rare thing

Just you and your family be very careful when going out to a movie theatre and/or going to church, or any number of other public places, especially in FLA..

The US is a gun-crazed nation, pissed off that they have a black POTUS and will be getting a female one for the next 8 years.

I lived in Thailand for 6 years and have now been back on the beach in Cali for 5.

Best of luck to you and family and PLEASE keep your head down and teach your loved ones self-defense and what to do in case of a firearm-related emergency.

Lots of folks don't consider this when moving back to the states...and oh, BTW, don't talk back to a US Cop.

GerBearpost-103475-0-48988600-1437750307_thumb.

Sounds fantastic!....

Not wishing to sound downbeat ....was curious about Florida and the crime rate, hurricanes and the mosquito and bugs.....have heard horrendous stories

Moved to Thailand 10 years ago and have 6 units ON the beach and close to Bangkok (cost $150,000... new build) ....Low crime (actually never experienced any but know its there), NO hurricanes or sunami's, and bugs are minimal as coastal wind pushes them inland. No property taxes, low electricity and water bills etc.....Corruption? yeah....but for me I don't mind paying a few hundred Baht ($10) for speeding tickets (or whatever....driving in righthand lane instead of lefthand lane) or to get something done quicky. Corruption vs Bureaucy in my opinion so about the same.

Yours sounds like a good story (and well written) but as you said "not for everyone" ....Happy in Thailand now! and unless things change for the worse, here till I die (I actually find it better than the US where I am the foreigner there now....soooo many immigrants).

different strokes for different folkes but he sounds like he happy and sells the usa well but we all know that the good old UK free health free every thing and you dont even have to work now thats the place to live and no nasty animals well maybe a few other human beings but beside that its heaven if you dont mind being in a country where an english person a rare thing

Don't talk too loud or the Irish will flood the place.smile.png

Personally I think n210mp said it well....maybe the OP is just trying to convince himself he did the right thing. So the question of why he moved to Thailand and lived here 10 years is VERY relevant. In fact it was OP who mentioned it.....so just asking the question "Why" is just a comment on his post.....if you don't ask ...you never know!

Maybe it's too personal....BUT can't get any more personal than posting a picture of your wife can you?

Why Thailand?

And 10 Years?

Maybe the guy was sent like many of us on an overseas contract, maybe he got promotion and moved on like many other have to places such as Sydney, Hong Kong or Sinapore.

Maybe his job was downsized, maybe he thought of childrens education or healthcare issues, who knows.

The bottom line is, the OP was ABLE to leave, unlike so may others who are stuck here after burning bridges back home.

Before you ask, heres the answer, for myself, waiting for the mother in law to die, then my mrs and I are out of here, the mrs cant wait to leave, she has seen that the grass (for her) is greener on the other side.

Why Thailand?

And 10 Years?

Maybe the guy was sent like many of us on an overseas contract, maybe he got promotion and moved on like many other have to places such as Sydney, Hong Kong or Sinapore.

Maybe his job was downsized, maybe he thought of childrens education or healthcare issues, who knows.

The bottom line is, the OP was ABLE to leave, unlike so may others who are stuck here after burning bridges back home.

Before you ask, heres the answer, for myself, waiting for the mother in law to die, then my mrs and I are out of here, the mrs cant wait to leave, she has seen that the grass (for her) is greener on the other side.

And good for him....Actually, its nice to hear a feel good story....just was wondering that's all.

He's obviously well schooled (advance degree in Engineering)...but he's stated that he had a business here in Thailand (don't know what ....maybe engineering related?).....but that the floods of 2011 wiped out his wharehouse which helped prompt his decision to move back to the US. Why come to Thailand when being so well educated he could've had his pick of jobs in the US making TONS of money as he is now?

I came to Thailand over 10 years ago as a stopover to a hiking trip to base camp in Nepal. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my back went out on the plane trip to Thailand so I went to the hospital for treatment ....met my wife there. Took her to the US to see if she wanted to live there .....her response was "its nice and clean but I prefer to live in Thailand .....but if it's what you want we can live here in the US". Well , since I was retired, figured why not give Thailand a try. Although I had a house, I rented it out and Moved to Thailand. Haven't regreted the decision at all .....

By the way .....

I'm 62

The above is WHY I moved to Thailand

And probably will never leave as I have a GREAT family and good life.

^^^^^great stuff, always good to read of a success story.

..her response was "its nice and clean but I prefer to live in Thailand .....but if it's what you want we can live here in the US"

Utterly brilliant response, grab that woman and give her the biggest hug you can, a proper Thai lady.

My mrs tells me, I am your wife I have to follow you.

Dont go telling the mugs that, the ones whose wives will never leave here, never seen the sea, never held a passport.

You are one lucky dude.

We live in Florida about 1600 feet from the beach so it is very nice. In fact, it is allot like Thailand with coconut and palm trees, without all the heat (summer about 95F max).

Er, it's about 95 F here most of the time, mate, in case you hadn't noticed in your 10 years here ...

Anyway, I think I've crossed swords with the OP before. I remember there was a guy quite some years ago who couldn't get the difference between 'a lot' (have many things') and 'allot'. (give or apportion (something) to someone as a share or task.)

As a English teacher I took the person to task about it and he fudged the issue 'a lot' (sic) and continued to use it. If I recall, it was some website where the writer was asking people to write about their experiences of living in Thailand and in SE Asia - unpaid, of course ....

Then this 'allot' started cropping up on many other Thai-directed-to-foreigner websites. I challenged him that he was the first person, and really, I do believe it is the OP (who has become very quiet). The same brash, loud style, the same 'look-at-me' attitude ...

I may be wrong, but unless US schools are teaching spelling very badly, I do suspect I'm right ... 'allot' (sic)

Edited by Mister Fixit

Why Thailand?

And 10 Years?

Lots of "maybe's" in there. Wouldn't it be great if the OP himself can come clean so we wouldn't have to guess? C'mon, OP, simple questions. You can even lie if you want, we can't tell the difference.