Decisions made for returning to the USA

bwpage3

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice story. Nice pics. However I love being an ex pat. Would not change my 23 years here for anything.......Still get that rush of living half way around the world. I still love heading to Cambodia or Myanmar or even places in Thailand for a week or two after a moment of planning.

I think If I could beam myself back to the States it would be to Costco for a couple of hours and thats about it......really have been missing artichokes

Edited by NickJ

5,800,000 baht list price. House on the beach..... East coast Thailand.

So-So house for being on the beach????? Where's the beach? And what area? Chantaburi? Trat?

where's the link? If truly on the beach ...ready to buy now!

I'm not in business to sell or provide free advertising for anyone. Of course it is on a beach. I googled it.

I'll send you a PM.

<snip>

One thing FOR SURE...is that it's a lot CHEAPER to build in Thailand than vs the US ($25/sq foot in Thailand vs $100 and UP in the US per sq foot)

Not from my experience.

My two homes (one in Thailand and one in Florida), both built at about the same time. Thai cost was about 150USD per sq ft. Florida cost was about 102USD per sq ft. There's no comparison in the build quality, fit and finish - the Florida house is much, much better and included more land.

I don't argue that you can build a house in Thailand for 25USD per sq ft.... I've done it. Actually, the one I built was about 22USD per sq ft, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in it.

So you paid 52,000 baht a sq meter to build your present home.....WOW...gold fixtures? Imported Italian marble? etc.

As for me (paid less than 9,000 Baht/meter)....a toilet is toilet ....paid 2000 baht (Moen modern style on sale at Home Pro)

And the same for much of everything else ....Fixtures (Hafele), Tiles ...again look for quality, style at an affordable price.

Walls...double with foam insulation

Windows (went direct to wholesaler) ...double pane 12mm (not the standard 6mm)

Rebar (steel) ...put in #16 vs the standard #12

And so on....

so as you can see you can get a quality build and finish for a reasonable price in Thailand ......Just have to know what your doing, watch the workers and buy your materials....

Edited by beachproperty

Hey chuckles. Wow, you laugh pretty easily apparently. Is there "hating" going on? Of course there is. Why? Because the OP was a douchetastic post. Why again? Who the hell wants to read about someone's self-perceived "perfect life" whatever that may be. Most people I know GO TO Thailand for richer or poorer and stay there regardless of the hardships because they love the country no matter if they are a junkie hippie, a go go bar owner, an English teacher, or a missionary.

This OP was trying to sell LEAVING Thailand for the greener pastures of the Flor-duh coast. Florida is a dump, and just about every bizarre news story in the USA starts with "Florida Man"...as in "Florida man ate bath salts and cannibalized a homeless man", etc.

I'm not against personal happiness. I'm not even against penis wagging. I'd just rather hear about penis wagging from someone GOING TO Thailand or living there, not giving up and then trying to sell the abyss of Florida as Shangri La. A beach don't make paradise.

I am not poor either, but I have been...and yes, the absolute happiest time in my entire life was living in an Isaan shack with the girl I loved more than any other before or since. I now have money and I'd trade everything for that shack with the girl again.

So in the future if anyone here wants to sell me the merits of moving to Aspen, Miami, London, Sydney---keep it to yourself. Not interested in your failure to endure hardships in Thailand and giving up for an easy life in the West.

It's jut boring.

I'm still laughing about the poster who prefers "an Isaan shack" to the Florida coast.

As usual, TVF posters have taken the topic off in a thousand directions, mostly misguided. If the OP is honest, and his story is true, then I say "Good for you. You have found the joy that we all seek, whether it's in Thailand or the USA." If he is a troll, he's a damn good one!

Edited by KuhnPaen

I think a lot of people who commented on this thread in a less than laudatory fashion were legitimately put off by some of the comments the OP made in the process of sharing his story about his transition back to America. Because many people, some of whom I have a degree of respect for, seem to not understand why some reacted this way, I would like to say a few words in defense of “the vulture club,” even though I do not consider myself a card-carrying member of said club.

Tim Robbins in the house?

The OP makes several comments which suggested he saw his post as a sort of motivational pep talk for other expats who may have lost sight of or perhaps forgotten all that America has to offer. For example, he starts out by saying, The decision to return to the USA after 10+ years living in Thailand was not as hard as what I imagined,’ and concludes by remarking, ‘For those contemplating moving back or starting over, it is not impossible.’

So far, so good. At first blush, this all sounds encouraging enough. But once the gist of the OP’s story is fully digested, the reader quickly realizes that in order to do what the OP has recounted, a person would more than likely need to be relatively young (in order to restart his career, pay off the mortgage, earn money to support his family in a suburban lifestyle, etc.), as well as have highly marketable job skills (mostly gained through higher education), and have had a way to have maintained these skills while on a 10+ year sabbatical in Thailand. The number of expats who enjoy all of these life circumstances is fairly limited, and for those who are fortunate enough in this regard, I seriously question whether they need the OP’s guidance as their self-appointed life coach in deciding whether returning to their home country is the best course of action. For those who don’t fall into this niche, they cannot easily emulate what the OP recounted. A person obviously can’t turn back the hands of time or acquire advanced degrees or in-demand job skills over night. I think that this is why some readers perceived the OP as doing something other than giving us a collective pep-talk.

Does somebody need an ego-boost?

When you set aside the OP’s claim that he was just innocently sharing his story in the hopes that it might inspire others to consider following his example, the tone of the post did strike my ear as, if not outright bragging, certainly a little too self-congratulatory, at least to my ear:

“….my own business doing quite well… huge SUV…

I have an advanced education in engineering …easy to find a very high paying job in the USA…. bought my wife a brand new car… live in Florida about 1600 feet from the beach… my mother, who is a retired doctor.”

The OP also posted a picture of a youthful, attractive Thai woman who was impeccably made up (hair highlights, meticulously plucked brow line, sophisticated mascara and lipstick, perfect teeth, maybe even wearing colored contact lenses? It’s hard to believe that that picture wasn’t calculated to instill envy in viewers. I also asked myself If everyone’s so blissfully happy and adjusting so well, why no pictures of the family together? Why just the wife?

America good; Thailand bad. Americans good; Thais bad. (yawn)

The OP doesn’t have much of anything positive to say about Thais and Thailand and glorifies America and Americans in an unbalanced biased manner.

Thailand is the land of insufferable heat, floods, water shortages, power outages, grinding poverty, and low educational standards. America is just the opposite: no extreme weather, crime free, a social paradise where anyone can grow up to be President. The land of “no hardships.”

Thais are scam artists, corrupt, poorly educated, dishonest, and criminally inclined. Americans are warm, friendly, welcoming, non-judgmental, better educated, just plain smarter, hard-working, and well bred.

The OP may be fortunate enough to be able to largely insulate himself and his family from the realities of what day to day life is like for many Americans, but as we all know there’s two sides to every story, and the OP does seem to be in need of being reminded of this.

Should I head to Mukdahan to look for my next wife or not???

The OP at first describes Isaan as a mecca which anyone hoping to find a wife in Thailand should make a beeline to. But then the OP says stuff like: “Many of the people working or even owning the restaurants appear to me to be the same types as you would run into in Isaan with the same behaviors.” or poverty and lack of education in Isaan.” The OP also opined that: “Honesty is not a common trait in Thailand.” Isn’t Isaan part of Thailand? I don’t understand why the OP is recommending Isaan as a good place to look for a wife, when he appears to hold everyone else in Isaan aside from his wife in quite low regard. I mean, why would I look for a wife in a place where everyone behaves badly, is poorly educated and dishonesty is part of their genome???

Newsflash, OP, we’re not all emotional retards in need of marriage counseling from you.

If there’s one thing in the OP’s post which really had me gagging it was the insufferably self-congratulatory rhetoric about how the OP had “grown up” and “unlike some men saw his wife as his equal” and how it takes a “special kind of person to put his family first.”

Just, FYI, OP, what you describe here is the norm, and nothing special at all. I don’t know any family men who don’t put their family first. As far as treating your wife as your equal, I am curious to know ---beyond buying her a car and setting her up with ATM and credit cards--- the extent to which you encourage her (1) to embrace her Thai culture (music, religion, art, customs, heritage, decorating the house, etc.), (2) to develop a social life independent of you (perhaps with other Thais), (3) to improve her English skills, (4) continue her education, and (5) seek employment? That would be the real test of your true commitment to helping her fulfill her full potential, not just providing things such as a car and ATM cards to facilitate her role as a housewife. Frankly, some of the comments you made about your wife being Americanized (de-Thai-ed, if you will) and the negativity you have expressed about Thailand and Thais (which is after all your wife’s homeland) disturbed me, and I hope that you will give this a great considerable thought, for the sake of your wife and future domestic happiness.

But, again, I genuinely wish the OP and his family happiness ever after, and it was informative to read his story.

You have my vote for best "Post of the Year"

There is no cheap ocean front property in Florida or California. Texas had a few last time I looked but you can't buy the land as it's owned by the State.

Well...actually there is

If we use Satellite Beach area (where OP moved to) there is the following for sale for $800,000 (probably can get it for $700,000):

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Satellite-Beach-FL/pmf,pf_pt/43458525_zpid/20367_rid/1_pnd/28.171182,-80.581424,28.159246,-80.601079_rect/15_zm/?vie

Comparable home in Thailand ON the beach would be either the same (25 million Baht) or MORE.

Sooo...as for BEACH front homes ....Thailand and US are about the same (Obviously depending on what part of Thailand OR US you are looking at)

EDIT:

As a side note.....My wife and I have a beach front home (actually made it a mini resort with 6 units) 2 hours from Bangkok that cost 10 million baht (land was 4.5 million baht several years ago and build out and furnishings etc were 5.5 million).....Wouldn't sell for less than 30 million Baht.

One thing FOR SURE...is that it's a lot CHEAPER to build in Thailand than vs the US ($25/sq foot in Thailand vs $100 and UP in the US per sq foot)

All beaches in Thailand are property of the King of Thailand so maybe you own a bag of hot air concerning your title deeds ,care to show them? And even in most western countrys one is not allowed to build on beaches concerning zone planning or inverement issues.

There is no cheap ocean front property in Florida or California. Texas had a few last time I looked but you can't buy the land as it's owned by the State.

Well...actually there is

If we use Satellite Beach area (where OP moved to) there is the following for sale for $800,000 (probably can get it for $700,000):

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Satellite-Beach-FL/pmf,pf_pt/43458525_zpid/20367_rid/1_pnd/28.171182,-80.581424,28.159246,-80.601079_rect/15_zm/?vie

Comparable home in Thailand ON the beach would be either the same (25 million Baht) or MORE.

Sooo...as for BEACH front homes ....Thailand and US are about the same (Obviously depending on what part of Thailand OR US you are looking at)

EDIT:

As a side note.....My wife and I have a beach front home (actually made it a mini resort with 6 units) 2 hours from Bangkok that cost 10 million baht (land was 4.5 million baht several years ago and build out and furnishings etc were 5.5 million).....Wouldn't sell for less than 30 million Baht.

All beaches in Thailand are property of the King of Thailand so maybe you own a bag of hot air concerning your title deeds ,care to show them? And even in most western countrys one is not allowed to build on beaches concerning zone planning or inverement issues.

Yes the Beach is owned by the Crown from what I understand

BUT that doesn't mean you can't own the land NEXT to the beach (or beachfront as they call it)

Wife has the "Chanote" (the highest form of land title)....thumbsup.gif

As for owning "Hot Air"....the sea breezes take care of that and the weather is wonderful on the beach.biggrin.png

A big consideration is that OP has a child. While you might prefer an Isaan shack, I doubt it is in a child's best interest.

That would depend on how you define 'the child's best interests'...

If you believe being bought up in a purple palace, in a super materialistic American society where being loud, fat and rich is something to aspire to is a good thing, then yes I guess Florida is in the child's best interest.

On the other hand if you consider material things to be of less importance than your child living a peaceful, loved, contented and fulfilled life away from the rat race, then a shack in Isaan is by far the better place to be.

Edited by Shadychris

A big consideration is that OP has a child. While you might prefer an Isaan shack, I doubt it is in a child's best interest.

If you believe being bought up in a purple palace, in a super materialistic American society where being loud, fat and rich is something to aspire to is a good thing, then yes I guess Florida is in the child's best interest.

On the other hand if you consider material things to be of less importance than your child living a peaceful, loved, contented and fulfilled life away from the rat race, then a shack in Isaan is by far the better place to be.

Even in the wilds of isaan rice farmers are glued to the screens of their smartphones and tablets ,ever heard of globelisation Thailand is not excempt from this even the wilds of isaan .

Sadly old world dinosaurs moving to Thailand who want to bring up kids with a wife 20 years their junior or more fail to see this ......

Even in the wilds of isaan rice farmers are glued to the screens of their smartphones and tablets ,ever heard of globelisation Thailand is not excempt from this even the wilds of isaan .

Sadly old world dinosaurs moving to Thailand who want to bring up kids with a wife 20 years their junior or more fail to see this ......

So your point is that every last ounce of cultural charm has already been rung out, and everywhere is anywhere? I beg to differ. Look deeper, my friend, look deeper.

So your point is that every last ounce of cultural charm has already been rung out, and everywhere is anywhere? I beg to differ. Look deeper, my friend, look deeper.

No need to look deeper it is happening world wide even the foreigners residing in Thailand with the thickest rose tainted glasses will have to face the facts in this ever changing world.

The op moved to Thailand but has kept resources to return to his home country to provide his family and kids with the tools they will need for the future good on him.

The beaches are not owned by the Crown if you consider the beach to be the rocky or sandy area abutting the ocean. I believe that the Crown owns the territory from the international boundary out at sea, to the high tide mark on land. Land that is immediately inland from the high tide mark (to which most people think of as "the beach") is generally owned by the municipality or local government.

Unfortunately I'm unable to speak with the same authority as you regarding the perspective of an 'old world dinosaur with a wife 20 years my junior'.

However I am of course aware of the effect of globalisation along with the increasing influence of Western culture in Asian countries - some of which as far as technology and tools go is a good thing.

But if you think that the introduction of smart phones and tablets has somehow turned Thailand overnight into a 'little America' then you do indeed have a very shallow perspective of the situation.

No need to look deeper it is happening world wide even the foreigners residing in Thailand with the thickest rose tainted glasses will have to face the facts in this ever changing world.

The op moved to Thailand but has kept resources to return to his home country to provide his family and kids with the tools they will need for the future good on him.

And what tools would those be? Lets see now, he has moved to America so I guess guns have to be pretty high up the list of must haves? But apart from maybe silicone breasts for his wife so she doesn't feel inadequate on the beach amongst all the other Pamela Anderson lookalikes, and maybe extra large dinner plates, what tools exactly will they need for their future in America??

The OP is clearly not short of resources, but you seem to be inferring that had he stayed in Thailand he would not have been able to provide the tools for his wife and families future there....

Anyone can have a good life, or bad, in pretty much most parts of the world, depending on how they approach things. I live in Thailand. I have a few houses (30/30 leases on the land beneath them). I have no mortgages. My wife (me, too, if you want to view it that way) has five rai out in the countryside, all completely paid for.I have a pretty newish truck, for which I paid cash.Same for my "big bike" - I paid cash. In fact, I have an income, with no debt at all. Unlike you, I have no job. And so I have no boss, and no morning commute. And I have time to at least look at threads on ThaiVisa if I want... If they look at all interesting to me. When I get bored with that, maybe I go scuba diving, or touring on the motorcycle. I have the time for whatever. Oh, and trust me when I say that your wife, lovely as she may be, is no more lovely than my own. And I don't need to post photos of any of all that on ThaiVisa. Why? Because it's really none of the business of anyone here, and I don't have to prove a thing to anyone.

Your definition of "a good life" probably is closer to meaning "an easy life". In the developed world, a good life is generally taken to mean that you have the resources available to you to be able to pursue your interests in a way to utilize your skills to the maximum utility. If you think the 3rd world allows you to do that, well good for you. I think people like Elon Musk and the other naturalized Americans that helped to develop Google and Facebook and Ebay probably have a different opinion.

Does Thailand have problems, political or otherwise? Of course it does. Just like most any other country. But I haven't seen too many burnt churches around Thailand. Not too many mass shootings here, either (203 mass shootings in the USA this year, as of 7/20/2015: http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015). The levels of political corruption in the western world, and especially the states, tend to suggest that the governments of the west are in no way superior to the governments of SE Asia.

This anti gun hysteria is strange. Become a regular reader of Thai Rath or Daily News papers and you will suddenly learn how many "mass shootings" thailand - which is not much bigger than the state of California - has.
And seriously you think governments of SE Asia are better than western governments on what measurements exactly?

My sole "criticism" of your original post was to congratulate you on reinserting yourself into the matrix. For me -- and I speak for no one else in this thread -- the west is "the matrix." It comes with a level of unreality that leaves me constantly shaking my head in disbelief. Your photos and words demonstrate, again, to me only, that you are committed to this path. To a belief in the matrix, and to having a lovely life there. And I do indeed say "good on ya," if that's what you want! Sincerely! Me? Just as the characters in the movie were happier in the beat up world of their city of Zion, I'd rather live in Thailand, or Haiti, or Botswana, or most anywhere in which the world makes sense at the most fundamental levels. I'd rather be a divemaster living in a shack in Khao Lak with a wife and 3-4 kids living on $1,000US per month, than plugged in back in the USA, making $5,000 per month, with the mortgage, commute, car payments, etc, etc., etc.

The matrix? Um, yeah, no one is questioning your sanity.

However, outside of your matrix world, the American government does not force anyone to take out mortgages. People have choices. Trying to blaming the government "matrix" for your own failings is strange. Suggesting you have less freedoms in America than in Thailand, is even crazier. But, if you think it's better to choose living in a shack with 3-4 kids going to a public school in Thailand, or Haiti or Botswana then good luck.

Congratulations to the OP. I did the same thing as him as well.

So one has to question why, as you are done and dusted with Thailand and presumably now living a much more enriched and satisfying life back in 'amazing America', why is it that you still take a such an active interest in Thai Visa?

Isn't there some US forum more relevant to your situation, maybe something like 'Failed US expats Visa' that would be of more interest to you? Or maybe you subconsciously regret the decision to move back home and TV is your way of clinging on to what you are missing in your heart?

So one has to question why, as you are done and dusted with Thailand and presumably now living a much more enriched and satisfying life back in 'amazing America', why is it that you still take a such an active interest in Thai Visa?

Isn't there some US forum more relevant to your situation, maybe something like 'Failed US expats Visa' that would be of more interest to you? Or maybe you subconsciously regret the decision to move back home and TV is your way of clinging on to what you are missing in your heart?

laugh.pnglaugh.pngclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Tell it like a Brit, Shady, don't hold back!!!!

Unfortunately I'm unable to speak with the same authority as you regarding the perspective of an 'old world dinosaur with a wife 20 years my junior'.

However I am of course aware of the effect of globalisation along with the increasing influence of Western culture in Asian countries - some of which as far as technology and tools go is a good thing.

But if you think that the introduction of smart phones and tablets has somehow turned Thailand overnight into a 'little America' then you do indeed have a very shallow perspective of the situation.

I fear it already has turned into a little America a long time ago my wife also hails from a town in isaan where they also like to keep up with the joneses even going in to high debt to do so like credit card lovin Americans like to do.

I fear it already has turned into a little America a long time ago my wife also hails from a town in isaan where they also like to keep up with the joneses even going in to high debt to do so like credit card lovin Americans like to do.

Country Card Debt

• U.S. $1.693 billion (40% of world volume)
  • U.K. $388 million
  • France $347 million
  • Canada $187 million
  • Japan $151 million
  • Mexico $152 million
  • Russia $40 million
  • China $12 million

http://www.bankingmyway.com/credit-center/credit-cards/us-tops-global-credit-card-debt-list

Wahoo #2 is those credit card lovin Brits and Canada not far behind.

Just in case you are an Aussie,

Australia’s Personal Debt Reported As Highest In The World

http://www.creditcardfinder.com.au/australias-personal-debt-reported-as-highest-in-the-world.html

Or maybe you want to know about your country.

post-232807-0-75673800-1438010886_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

laugh.pnglaugh.pngclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Tell it like a Brit, Shady, don't hold back!!!!

Gob &lt;deleted&gt; Brits grass up other countries to avoid an uncomfortable truth.

Absolutely nailed it. Now if I can just figure out how to use this quote feature properly I'll feel better about not living the dream life on the Florida coast.

I also vote for this as post of the year.

I think a lot of people who commented on this thread in a less than laudatory fashion were legitimately put off by some of the comments the OP made in the process of sharing his story about his transition back to America. Because many people, some of whom I have a degree of respect for, seem to not understand why some reacted this way, I would like to say a few words in defense of the vulture club, even though I do not consider myself a card-carrying member of said club.

The OP makes several comments which suggested he saw his post as a sort of motivational pep talk for other expats who may have lost sight of or perhaps forgotten all that America has to offer. For example, he starts out by saying, The decision to return to the USA after 10+ years living in Thailand was not as hard as what I imagined, and concludes by remarking, For those contemplating moving back or starting over, it is not impossible.

So far, so good. At first blush, this all sounds encouraging enough. But once the gist of the OPs story is fully digested, the reader quickly realizes that in order to do what the OP has recounted, a person would more than likely need to be relatively young (in order to restart his career, pay off the mortgage, earn money to support his family in a suburban lifestyle, etc.), as well as have highly marketable job skills (mostly gained through higher education), and have had a way to have maintained these skills while on a 10+ year sabbatical in Thailand. The number of expats who enjoy all of these life circumstances is fairly limited, and for those who are fortunate enough in this regard, I seriously question whether they need the OPs guidance as their self-appointed life coach in deciding whether returning to their home country is the best course of action. For those who dont fall into this niche, they cannot easily emulate what the OP recounted. A person obviously cant turn back the hands of time or acquire advanced degrees or in-demand job skills over night. I think that this is why some readers perceived the OP as doing something other than giving us a collective pep-talk.

When you set aside the OPs claim that he was just innocently sharing his story in the hopes that it might inspire others to consider following his example, the tone of the post did strike my ear as, if not outright bragging, certainly a little too self-congratulatory, at least to my ear:

.my own business doing quite well huge SUV

I have an advanced education in engineering easy to find a very high paying job in the USA. bought my wife a brand new car live in Florida about 1600 feet from the beach my mother, who is a retired doctor.

The OP also posted a picture of a youthful, attractive Thai woman who was impeccably made up (hair highlights, meticulously plucked brow line, sophisticated mascara and lipstick, perfect teeth, maybe even wearing colored contact lenses? Its hard to believe that that picture wasnt calculated to instill envy in viewers. I also asked myself If everyones so blissfully happy and adjusting so well, why no pictures of the family together? Why just the wife?

The OP doesnt have much of anything positive to say about Thais and Thailand and glorifies America and Americans in an unbalanced biased manner.

Thailand is the land of insufferable heat, floods, water shortages, power outages, grinding poverty, and low educational standards. America is just the opposite: no extreme weather, crime free, a social paradise where anyone can grow up to be President. The land of no hardships.

Thais are scam artists, corrupt, poorly educated, dishonest, and criminally inclined. Americans are warm, friendly, welcoming, non-judgmental, better educated, just plain smarter, hard-working, and well bred.

The OP may be fortunate enough to be able to largely insulate himself and his family from the realities of what day to day life is like for many Americans, but as we all know theres two sides to every story, and the OP does seem to be in need of being reminded of this.

The OP at first describes Isaan as a mecca which anyone hoping to find a wife in Thailand should make a beeline to. But then the OP says stuff like: Many of the people working or even owning the restaurants appear to me to be the same types as you would run into in Isaan with the same behaviors. or poverty and lack of education in Isaan. The OP also opined that: Honesty is not a common trait in Thailand. Isnt Isaan part of Thailand? I dont understand why the OP is recommending Isaan as a good place to look for a wife, when he appears to hold everyone else in Isaan aside from his wife in quite low regard. I mean, why would I look for a wife in a place where everyone behaves badly, is poorly educated and dishonesty is part of their genome???

Newsflash, OP, were not all emotional retards in need of marriage counseling from you.

If theres one thing in the OPs post which really had me gagging it was the insufferably self-congratulatory rhetoric about how the OP had grown up and unlike some men saw his wife as his equal and how it takes a special kind of person to put his family first.

Just, FYI, OP, what you describe here is the norm, and nothing special at all. I dont know any family men who dont put their family first. As far as treating your wife as your equal, I am curious to know ---beyond buying her a car and setting her up with ATM and credit cards--- the extent to which you encourage her (1) to embrace her Thai culture (music, religion, art, customs, heritage, decorating the house, etc.), (2) to develop a social life independent of you (perhaps with other Thais), (3) to improve her English skills, (4) continue her education, and (5) seek employment? That would be the real test of your true commitment to helping her fulfill her full potential, not just providing things such as a car and ATM cards to facilitate her role as a housewife. Frankly, some of the comments you made about your wife being Americanized (de-Thai-ed, if you will) and the negativity you have expressed about Thailand and Thais (which is after all your wifes homeland) disturbed me, and I hope that you will give this a great considerable thought, for the sake of your wife and future domestic happiness.

But, again, I genuinely wish the OP and his family happiness ever after, and it was informative to read his story.

You have my vote for best "Post of the Year"

needs to serve ads. only way to do that is strange posts that don't quite make sense or seem odd, or members whose job it is keep discussions moving.

What rubbish...why can't it be in a good neighbourhood going to a good school in the west..the education system here is terrible..if you have a chance to educate your child better then you should take it..not come up with some materialistic moral clap trap...

A contented and fulfilled life in a shack...really..

Preaching to the choir here. Welcome back! Hey where in Fl are you where there are 25 Thai restaurants? I own a few condos in Florida and get down there from time to time and always looking to keep the wife fed and happy!

Preaching to the Choir? I don't think anyone is preaching anything only telling my own story. Satellite Beach/Indian River Area. Don't worry about keeping your wife fed and happy. Thai food here is cooked for Americans and is horrible. Not even close to the food in Thailand. Better to cook and eat at home. Nothing worse than spending $50 dollars for Thai food for 2 that is horrible.

Do you not know what preaching to the choir means? He was trying agree with you.

In your OP you state "There are around 25 Thai restaurants alone in the town we live in. So all in all, it is quite like being in Thailand but without all the ill’s."

And then in your reply you claim that the food is horrible. So what exactly makes it like being in Thailand but better?

I think a lot of people who commented on this thread in a less than laudatory fashion were legitimately put off by some of the comments the OP made in the process of sharing his story about his transition back to America. Because many people, some of whom I have a degree of respect for, seem to not understand why some reacted this way, I would like to say a few words in defense of “the vulture club,” even though I do not consider myself a card-carrying member of said club.

The OP makes several comments which suggested he saw his post as a sort of motivational pep talk for other expats who may have lost sight of or perhaps forgotten all that America has to offer. For example, he starts out by saying, The decision to return to the USA after 10+ years living in Thailand was not as hard as what I imagined,’ and concludes by remarking, ‘For those contemplating moving back or starting over, it is not impossible.’

So far, so good. At first blush, this all sounds encouraging enough. But once the gist of the OP’s story is fully digested, the reader quickly realizes that in order to do what the OP has recounted, a person would more than likely need to be relatively young (in order to restart his career, pay off the mortgage, earn money to support his family in a suburban lifestyle, etc.), as well as have highly marketable job skills (mostly gained through higher education), and have had a way to have maintained these skills while on a 10+ year sabbatical in Thailand. The number of expats who enjoy all of these life circumstances is fairly limited, and for those who are fortunate enough in this regard, I seriously question whether they need the OP’s guidance as their self-appointed life coach in deciding whether returning to their home country is the best course of action. For those who don’t fall into this niche, they cannot easily emulate what the OP recounted. A person obviously can’t turn back the hands of time or acquire advanced degrees or in-demand job skills over night. I think that this is why some readers perceived the OP as doing something other than giving us a collective pep-talk.

When you set aside the OP’s claim that he was just innocently sharing his story in the hopes that it might inspire others to consider following his example, the tone of the post did strike my ear as, if not outright bragging, certainly a little too self-congratulatory, at least to my ear:

“….my own business doing quite well… huge SUV…

I have an advanced education in engineering …easy to find a very high paying job in the USA…. bought my wife a brand new car… live in Florida about 1600 feet from the beach… my mother, who is a retired doctor.”

The OP also posted a picture of a youthful, attractive Thai woman who was impeccably made up (hair highlights, meticulously plucked brow line, sophisticated mascara and lipstick, perfect teeth, maybe even wearing colored contact lenses? It’s hard to believe that that picture wasn’t calculated to instill envy in viewers. I also asked myself If everyone’s so blissfully happy and adjusting so well, why no pictures of the family together? Why just the wife?

The OP doesn’t have much of anything positive to say about Thais and Thailand and glorifies America and Americans in an unbalanced biased manner.

Thailand is the land of insufferable heat, floods, water shortages, power outages, grinding poverty, and low educational standards. America is just the opposite: no extreme weather, crime free, a social paradise where anyone can grow up to be President. The land of “no hardships.”

The OP may be fortunate enough to be able to largely insulate himself and his family from the realities of what day to day life is like for many Americans, but as we all know there’s two sides to every story, and the OP does seem to be in need of being reminded of this.

The OP at first describes Isaan as a mecca which anyone hoping to find a wife in Thailand should make a beeline to. But then the OP says stuff like: “Many of the people working or even owning the restaurants appear to me to be the same types as you would run into in Isaan with the same behaviors.” or poverty and lack of education in Isaan.” The OP also opined that: “Honesty is not a common trait in Thailand.” Isn’t Isaan part of Thailand? I don’t understand why the OP is recommending Isaan as a good place to look for a wife, when he appears to hold everyone else in Isaan aside from his wife in quite low regard. I mean, why would I look for a wife in a place where everyone behaves badly, is poorly educated and dishonesty is part of their genome???

Newsflash, OP, we’re not all emotional retards in need of marriage counseling from you.

If there’s one thing in the OP’s post which really had me gagging it was the insufferably self-congratulatory rhetoric about how the OP had “grown up” and “unlike some men saw his wife as his equal” and how it takes a “special kind of person to put his family first.”

Just, FYI, OP, what you describe here is the norm, and nothing special at all. I don’t know any family men who don’t put their family first. As far as treating your wife as your equal, I am curious to know ---beyond buying her a car and setting her up with ATM and credit cards--- the extent to which you encourage her (1) to embrace her Thai culture (music, religion, art, customs, heritage, decorating the house, etc.), (2) to develop a social life independent of you (perhaps with other Thais), (3) to improve her English skills, (4) continue her education, and (5) seek employment? That would be the real test of your true commitment to helping her fulfill her full potential, not just providing things such as a car and ATM cards to facilitate her role as a housewife. Frankly, some of the comments you made about your wife being Americanized (de-Thai-ed, if you will) and the negativity you have expressed about Thailand and Thais (which is after all your wife’s homeland) disturbed me, and I hope that you will give this a great considerable thought, for the sake of your wife and future domestic happiness.

I agree with most of your post and it is clearly written and well stated. I would like to add a few things.

The funniest thing to me is that the OP talks about how he rebuilt a jeep and mustang, and bought his wife a car. Fast forward to the picture of his garage / driveway. Certainly nothing picture worthy or impressive there.

The other thing that the OP kept mentioning was how his wife has integrated into society and is not judged. I find that very hard to believe in Florida. If he had said that she found a group of thai women to socialize with ok, but I highly doubt she is accepted at the country club.

Success stories like this are hard to find. Why were you in Thailand to begin with? Nice temples?

If it was then I will give your scene a great chance at success. Typically these situations don't last because men taking wives from Thailand have certain character flaws whistling.gif which creep up every now and again on both sides making "normal" lives and relationships, which you seem to be alluding to, untenable.

Why do you have to imply that all men coming to Thailand are doing it for the women, or that they are men who can't get a hot woman in their own country?

Some of us came here for real work, in my case I was head hunted and offered an amazing package to come here from Hong Kong.

Not all of us find Asian girls hotter than Western girls, I grew up in Asia so to me Asian girls are nothing special, plus the Western women I was surrounded by in HK make the average Thai look decidedly average. Plus with a Western girl you share language, culture and usually a similar level of education.

To the OP, great hearing you are happy and congrats on a nice house and lifestyle. Your wife looks and sounds nice too.

Personally I plan to stay in Thailand although I am also looking longer term at the possibility of moving to Myanmar and building an eco resort on one of the many islands they have.

Men come to Thailand for 3 main reasons

1. Cheaper cost of living

2. Women

3. Both 1 & 2

Carreer building is not normally on theat list. I too came here for real work, but then again I requested to come here. Your situation is quite rare amongst men moving to Thailand. Not everyone can't get women in their own country, but its certainly easier to find much more attractive or younger woman here.