Teaching math, english, music in Bangkok

Hi!!! I've been a professor before at several colleges including the US and wanted to know what I need to do in the way of documents and anything else to get a teaching job. I have some coursework in calculus and physics and would love to teach that and am very articulate with English and also have a master's degree in music from a top 3 school.

I'd rather teach mathematics and physics to young people since it is better for their development and future careers.

I'm not sure what international schools would look for in an applicant, but I just would like to apply for the highest paying job so I can pay for my considerable medical bills with asthma inhalers and hospital visits for my damaged lungs.

Thanks very much!!!!!

Edited by professor21

You want to teach young students in Thailand? Surely you have not researched this very well? You can talk and show them what you want but most if not all will not care or try and the school will not support you to make the students do this if it is at a semi-private or private school and you will have to pass them all. With your qualifications and experience you should try to work at a university instead. You will need your degree and a tefl or TOEIC. Background checks are getting common although I am not sure they are required. That is really all you need. Any decent school will provide the rest.

I am a native speaker so do I need a TEFL TEIC?

I think the students would want to become research mathematicians and physicists and engineers and doctors and theologians if only we work hard enough and convince them? I was writing to a professor at Mahidol University and he asked me if I was in Bangkok I think presumably to meet but I was teaching out of the country at the time. I have these innovative lectures which incorporate teaching mathematical proofs and calculus and physics through music also. I also have a degree in evangelical theology from the US.

Edited by professor21

You want to teach young students in Thailand? Surely you have not researched this very well? You can talk and show them what you want but most if not all will not care or try and the school will not support you to make the students do this if it is at a semi-private or private school and you will have to pass them all. With your qualifications and experience you should try to work at a university instead. You will need your degree and a tefl or TOEIC. Background checks are getting common although I am not sure they are required. That is really all you need. Any decent school will provide the rest.

Why would the OP have to have a TEFL, or TOEIC? A TOEIC' is an English efficiency test for NNES who like to teach English in Thailand,

, while a TEFL doesn't really mean much. ( Of course will all online TEFL providers tell you that you need one) A worthless piece of paper.

Background check is mandatory these days, please see thread on this forum. Best of luck to the OP and his health.

Edited by lostinisaan

Not even a degree is required to teach at a university. The OP qualifies as he is, the only question is if a university wants to hire him.

If he wants to teach at a high school, he qualifies for a waiver of the teaching licnece but would need to get a degree in education evetually to be able to teach.

Not even a degree is required to teach at a university. The OP qualifies as he is, the only question is if a university wants to hire him.

If he wants to teach at a high school, he qualifies for a waiver of the teaching licnece but would need to get a degree in education evetually to be able to teach.

No,a PGCE would suffice with a degree in any subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! by the way what's the deadline to apply for teaching jobs, what do they look for do I just submit a CV?

I don't think I can really afford a CELT, I'm not sure why I need a certificate since I'm a native speaker and have a master's degree; it would be extremely easy since I've studied Latin and German I think

I'm not sure I still feel crippled maybe I should go back to the US...

Yeah I know it's difficult teaching at small schools where students don't work and there isn't grade integrity, but I'm happy to have a job helping other people.

Edited by professor21

Thanks! by the way what's the deadline to apply for teaching jobs, what do they look for do I just submit a CV?

I don't think I can really afford a CELT, I'm not sure why I need a certificate since I'm a native speaker and have a master's degree; it would be extremely easy since I've studied Latin and German I think

I'm not sure I still feel crippled maybe I should go back to the US...

Yeah I know it's difficult teaching at small schools where students don't work and there isn't grade integrity, but I'm happy to have a job helping other people.

Being a native speaker does not preclude you from obtaining a CELTA qualification. This isn't about speaking English, it is about communicating and delivering English in a classroom learning environment. Your degree qualifications seem somewhat non-standard on first pass. As for teaching maths and physics through music....not too much demand for this in Thailand. Re your CV showing that you have taught in a number of institutions, what is your average length of employment?

• 4 weeks later...

well I have a lot of coursework in theoretical physics and mathematics and taught myself calculus while doing honors physics and teaching and doing a master's in music at the #1 US News/World Report ranked music graduate school and with my background in German and Latin any english teaching would be ludicrously easy.

well I have a lot of coursework in theoretical physics and mathematics and taught myself calculus while doing honors physics and teaching and doing a master's in music at the #1 US News/World Report ranked music graduate school and with my background in German and Latin any english teaching would be ludicrously easy.

You didn't quite answer my question. Also I would be somewhat concerned that someone with any background considers teaching English 'ludicrously easy'. What I would like at this moment is some idea of your employment record.

Edited by SheungWan

Did you ever try to get university position in Thailand without a degree? Try Mahidol (usually require a PhD) or Chula and see how you go. Just because they are not under the TCT does not mean they have lower standards. Most I know have a degree, and many need a master's degree to teach postgraduate courses.

To the OP, there are plenty of jobs teaching maths/science in Thai schools, as many have bilingual/english programs, as well as the International schools here. The latter generally requiring formal teaching qualifications. The very best schools want professional teachers who have experience teaching in schools in their home countries.

• 2 weeks later...

I've taught at 2 universities and one college in the US for about an average of 1 year where I taught undergraduates.

If the average length of employment is only one year then it doesn't really appear to represent an established career path in the university sector eg tenure at one institution for say 5 years plus. If your objective is to raise money to pay for medical bills then I doubt what teaching jobs might be available to you will pay sufficiently well to cover medical expenses but you will have a better idea of what those actually are.

Math teacher here.

Paperwork: it doesn't matter if you NES or not. What matter if your country of origin is in the list of qualified countries. For example: South Africa is not in that list.

If you are a not proper NES you will need to pass a very easy test (TOIEC).

But don't you worry. Initial visa is virtually doesn't need any of the documents. It lasts for 90 days only. In that period of time you will have to collect all the documents (school will help you with that).

As for the school. You have 3 choises: International school, Good government scool, and "Village" school.

You will get a better pay in international school but be ready to deal with rich scum.

"Village" school is a waste of your time and a lot of folks do just that. Getting paid for a wasting time.

Do a research yourself. Try to avoid being hired through the agency. And if you can get into Mahidol - its one of the best (both international and main).

And more thing no one will force you pass all the students. If student is really failing just fail him/her.

Math teacher here.

Paperwork: it doesn't matter if you NES or not. What matter if your country of origin is in the list of qualified countries. For example: South Africa is not in that list.

If you are a not proper NES you will need to pass a very easy test (TOIEC).

But don't you worry. Initial visa is virtually doesn't need any of the documents. It lasts for 90 days only. In that period of time you will have to collect all the documents (school will help you with that).

As for the school. You have 3 choises: International school, Good government scool, and "Village" school.

You will get a better pay in international school but be ready to deal with rich scum.

"Village" school is a waste of your time and a lot of folks do just that. Getting paid for a wasting time.

Do a research yourself. Try to avoid being hired through the agency. And if you can get into Mahidol - its one of the best (both international and main).

And more thing no one will force you pass all the students. If student is really failing just fail him/her.

Hi thanks so much! I can teach calculus, diff eq, lin alg, physics, but my master's is in music. I'm trying to raise some money for medical treatment here.

Hi thanks so much! I can teach calculus, diff eq, lin alg, physics, but my master's is in music. I'm trying to raise some money for medical treatment here.

I'm not sure that you could get a job in University.

But you definitely can get a job in mid-school or high-school.

Don't be scared to apply for a jobs.

New semester starts in October for Government schools.

And Math or Science teachers are very rare.

This is an outline of government approved Thai curriculum http://www.act.ac.th/document/1741.pdf

Tips for the job. If you are offered more than 16 hours of teaching - it's not a real job and they are hiring you to w&nk.

You can easily get a job 35k+ Baht (outside Bangkok). Or for more if you look harder.

Good luck.

P.S. All info is relevant for pre-University jobs.

Edited by Edgehog net