Southern Thailand still needs more power, PM Prayut emphasizes

webfact

Southern Thailand still needs more power, PM emphasizes

BANGKOK, 24 July 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has insisted on the need to provide sufficient power for the southern region of Thailand due to rising demand.

His reiteration was made three days after over a hundred activists of the Save Andaman from Coal Network proposed three requests against a coal-fired power project in Krabi Province, near southern Thailand’s Andaman coast.

Gen Prayut said the government did not accept their requests but took them into account. He expected joint discussion with the opponents, believing that it would lead to the best solution to power shortage in the region.

He pointed out whatever source of power will be chosen, the government must raise public understanding about the power plant project. He stressed that an EIA process is still in need. Otherwise, the project is unable to move forward.

The government would re-consider building power plants that use alternative sources such as oil palms. However, it also needs to look into the volume of power from such raw materials and a pipe line system to be built.

He pleaded Thai people not to link the power plant project with political conflicts and not to take a hunger strike. The government has already listened to them and also expected them to hear its voice.

On the topic of the power plant auction scheduled for August 5, the Prime Minister said the bidding should be finalized after a joint discussion with all related parties.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-24 footer_n.gif

Thought the Junta, as military would also be acutely aware of the lack of electrical generation plants. The country is lacking enough latent capacity and redundant extremely HV grid transmission lines in addition to the current transmission lines.

Pushing the matter through as a national security issue, bypassing the will of the people and the interests of the environment I thought would of been the first play. Electrical plants aren't like dams (usually), generation plants are targets....

More dams and grid pumping ditto generation and transmission.

You see there The Govt is considering alternate power sources. I said in another thread that coal fired Power stations with proper filtration systems are better than ....ugh nuclear. Why consider anything else. 100 greenies at the site need re education.

Come on!

You guys want the Thais r running a nuclear reactor that cannot be turned off. Check out Japan, they cannot turn the wayward nuclear reactor off and its polluting the whole ocean. I imagine the greenies don't eat fish, or at least the radio active ones that are near the Japanese nuclear reactor thats still loose and radiating.

Go on! Talk about CO2 and rubbish like that but compare that to Japan cooking the ocean with nuclear. You are crazy to oppose a coal fired power station. I cannot bother to get out my calculator but 100 loonies protesting out of a 65 million peopled country seems a bit weak. Who gives a shit about Krabi having electric power. If I was the power company I would turn off the electrics for a few days and see what happens. Then the loonies would go home I imagine.

Clearly, coal fired power stations properly filtered are better than the Japan option of forever polluting the ocean and the land with unseen nuclear radiation.

REgards

You see there The Govt is considering alternate power sources. I said in another thread that coal fired Power stations with proper filtration systems are better than ....ugh nuclear. Why consider anything else. 100 greenies at the site need re education.

Come on!

You guys want the Thais r running a nuclear reactor that cannot be turned off. Check out Japan, they cannot turn the wayward nuclear reactor off and its polluting the whole ocean. I imagine the greenies don't eat fish, or at least the radio active ones that are near the Japanese nuclear reactor thats still loose and radiating.

Go on! Talk about CO2 and rubbish like that but compare that to Japan cooking the ocean with nuclear. You are crazy to oppose a coal fired power station. I cannot bother to get out my calculator but 100 loonies protesting out of a 65 million peopled country seems a bit weak. Who gives a shit about Krabi having electric power. If I was the power company I would turn off the electrics for a few days and see what happens. Then the loonies would go home I imagine.

Clearly, coal fired power stations properly filtered are better than the Japan option of forever polluting the ocean and the land with unseen nuclear radiation.

REgards

You would think with all the sunshine we have that solar would be a viable option? Cleaner than coal? Asia needs a solar leader not another coal burner. As far as scrubbers go its maintenance maintenance maintenance for them to work properly and the last time I looked that word was not in the Thai dictionary. When it comes to the word dipstick it can have a double meaning.

You would think with all the sunshine we have that solar would be a viable option? Cleaner than coal? Asia needs a solar leader not another coal burner. As far as scrubbers go its maintenance maintenance maintenance for them to work properly and the last time I looked that word was not in the Thai dictionary. When it comes to the word dipstick it can have a double meaning.

Solar would be fine if we only needed power between 0900 and 1500, but that is not the case. Solar power reduces the amount of fossil fuel burnt during those hours but rarely, if ever, reduces the capacity of fossil fuel generation required. And while no fuel is required, the initial cost of solar generation is VERY high. It's widespread use is mainly because of political pressure exerted by voters with little knowledge leading to installation subsidies and buy-back rates multiple times the value of the energy produced at current wholesale prices.