Why this cynicism against Thailand?

drronnie

When you realise there is no value on your life it gets a bit annoying.

Why would you expect them to value you?

It makes me laugh how sensitive some expats are that they get all bothered about whether the locals like them.

nice glasses, keep it up

Sorry, what?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikey and CH united...gonna love it...

No, this has been done to death and Friday nights at Ku De Ta are far more interesting than online jousting with men who've essentially given up and just aimed their wallet at the nearest strumpet that'll put up with them.

I don't have to do that so you'll excuse me if I leave you to it.

Always ends the same way, anyway - CLOSED

... and tune in next week for another exciting episode of life in Thailand at the top of the food chain.

So many here used to say "If you don't like it go home," in nearly every thread. Now that many have taken that good advice and discovered the countries that they left aren't so bad you'd think the "go homers" would be pleased. Instead they throw a fit when you praise their advice!

They're just grumpy old men and would be equally as grumpy wherever they were in the world.

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Old guys and fallen angels yup they need us as much as we need them.wink.png

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

It seems everyone that has moved to Thailand has had multiple houses, wives, unlimited riches, corporations etc. yet there is never a post 1 with any evidence.

Talk is cheap is what I say to these folks.

Calling the kettle black when by your own admittance, you could not make it in your country. 3 wives says it all and I am sure it was all their fault right handsum man?

You see happy old men everywhere? You are full of yourself either that or you cannot read.

So many old men divorced or scammed in Thailand like it or not.

Read the forum

I never said anything about having multiple houses or wives or unlimited riches in Thailand. I said, "in Florida." I came to Thailand with one suitcase after the wealth adjustment judge in Florida got through with me. Given my one suitcase start I haven't done too bad.

I made it and lost it a number of times in the West. You know there is a 50% divorce rate in the USA, so I'm not really alone.

I read the forum and what I see are happy old men and young men moving back to the West. I agree this is not a place for young men with children.

A while back as they wheeled me off to an operating room in Thailand an expat commented, "good luck" I answered, "not to worry either way I've had a good run."

It seems everyone that has moved to Thailand has had multiple houses, wives, unlimited riches, corporations etc. yet there is never a post 1 with any evidence.

Same as me mate, & I was Special Forces as well, but never mention it.

laugh.png

So many here used to say "If you don't like it go home," in nearly every thread. Now that many have taken that good advice and discovered the countries that they left aren't so bad you'd think the "go homers" would be pleased. Instead they throw a fit when you praise their advice!

If a guy goes back to the West because he can't find a place for himself in Thailand, then that's cool - everyone has their own limits as to what they can "tolerate" - but if he comes on here and implies that people who choose to stay are idiots and are somehow missing out, he deserves to be slapped down.

When you realise there is no value on your life it gets a bit annoying.

Why would you expect them to value you?

It makes me laugh how sensitive some expats are that they get all bothered about whether the locals like them.

I think he meant, that in Thailand so many deaths on the Road, and no one seems to bother, whereas anywhere else, we would all be shocked...... That's my interpretation....

Roads weren't my first interpretation, Thais are equally careless of other Thais safety on the roads. My first thought was 'hit men' laugh.png

Look my good man. Do not take it personally. I have also been here a long time. But questioning things, wanting to see improvement, for the better, has not happened.. The masses here have been indoctrinated for decades and now they are rebelling in some respects. What is wrong with wanting the place to improve. If you are genuinglyhonest, the infastructure here, has improved marginally, at best. Thailand has the potentail to be huge with its natural resource, the weather, food etc

The mindset needs to change but the people have the right heart, in my opinion.

People will always have a view, rightly or wrongly. Embrace it. Criticism never hurts anyone unless you believe it.

I just wish it would cool off for a few days so I could quit sweating. I haven't had dry manberries in 4+ years.

That would make anyone cynical (that means crabby, right?)

Edited by impulse

Maybe things like having Chiang Mai immigration kick you out of their offices to stand in the sun while you wait a few hours to get a 90 day report processed (without a workable queuing system) may just have a tiny effect on how I view Thais, and how I believe they view us Kwai farang.

Life is what you make out of it, no matter where you live. Grumpy or happy, your personal choice.

While that's largely true, I suspect it's easier to be happy if you have enough money to support yourself, and your health.

All the money in the world can't buy happiness. But $20 a month less than what you need to pay the rent can make you miserable.

There are things about living in the U.S. that I love.

There are things about living in the U.S. that I hate.

There are things about living in Thailand that I love.

There are things about living in Thailand that I hate.

There were things about my first wife of 28 years that I loved.

There were things about my first wife of 28 years that I hated.

There are things about my Thai wife of 7 years that I love.

There are things about my Thai wife of 7 years that I hate.

I was a U.S. Marine for 20 years. Self esteem is not an issue for me.

I like people to like me, but if they don't, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Why do I live in Thailand? I like it here better than other places I've been, for a number of reasons. One is that I've actually met more friendly Thai than I did Americans, who are all so wrapped up in their personal problems, they have forgotten how to be truly friendly.

Edited by Just1Voice

Reminds me of a young couple I met in Pattaya a few years ago. They were in their early 30s and teaching English. They just loved it here in Thailand. They said they were planning on going home. I asked why if they liked it so much. They said there were so many cynical people around that they were starting to buy in to it also. So they wanted to leave before they got like the other cynical people. Thailand is to beautiful to have that kind of an outlook on it.

It depends who you choose to surround yourself with. There are plenty of decent, positive people in Thailand. I'm not sure Pattaya is the best place to find them though.
Pattaya is a wonderful place, lived here for eight years. Wouldn't live anywhere else, inside or outside of Thailand. Edited by jesimps

They're just grumpy old men and would be equally as grumpy wherever they were in the world.

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Old guys and fallen angels yup they need us as much as we need them.wink.png

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

thaivisa merits an entire section of its own in DSM IV

Reminds me of a young couple I met in Pattaya a few years ago. They were in their early 30s and teaching English. They just loved it here in Thailand. They said they were planning on going home. I asked why if they liked it so much. They said there were so many cynical people around that they were starting to buy in to it also. So they wanted to leave before they got like the other cynical people. Thailand is to beautiful to have that kind of an outlook on it.

"Thailand is to beautiful"... really, ok here's your chance, enlighten us.

There are things about living in the U.S. that I love.

There are things about living in the U.S. that I hate.

There are things about living in Thailand that I love.

There are things about living in Thailand that I hate.

There were things about my first wife of 28 years that I loved.

There were things about my first wife of 28 years that I hated.

There are things about my Thai wife of 7 years that I love.

There are things about my Thai wife of 7 years that I hate.

I was a U.S. Marine for 20 years. Self esteem is not an issue for me.

I like people to like me, but if they don't, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Why do I live in Thailand? I like it here better than other places I've been, for a number of reasons. One is that I've actually met more friendly Thai than I did Americans, who are all so wrapped up in their personal problems, they have forgotten how to be truly friendly.

Ditto OZ!

Many expats never liked Thailand in the first place - just the fact that they could pay women to pretend to like them.

You might add that most of them are so ugly, no female would look at them in their own country

Well, I think anyone with some critical thinking skills will see things that are bad, corrupt, or could be better. Then they comment on it. Usually, but not always, those same people have strong opinions about the situation in their own country, and they are just applying a critical eye to Thailand, too. If pressed, though, I find most of them will instantly come up with a host of reasons they like Thailand more.

Of course, there are some really bitter guys who just hate everything--those people are beyond reach and will just live like that until they croak.

Many expats never liked Thailand in the first place - just the fact that they could pay women to pretend to like them.

You might add that most of them are so ugly, no female would look at them in their own country

And I guess you are "hansum" man.... obviously with a very ugly heart.

It is also true

It is also true