Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

They were way ahead of you, and didn't disappoint... (Well, they disappointed, but they did what you said)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842654-pm-prayut-orders-ban-on-alcohol-sales-near-universities-and-vocational-colleges/

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

Don't worry, it's just booze that's being "banned". The dancing girls will still be there. Students welcome.

Its just the "sale" of booze that's banned. The sexpests can bring their own booze to the bars ... and the bars can charge them exorbitant amounts for glasses and ice. LOL

laugh.png

Edited by Fullstop

Rule #1 - don't get between a Thai and his/her income. The result will be ugly.

Possible rash of school fires in the near future?

BTW why would this law apply to schools where the students are below legal drinking age?

Its just the "sale" of booze that's banned. The sexpests can bring their own booze to the bars ... and the bars can charge them exorbitant amounts for glasses and ice. LOL

laugh.png

Ice might be more safely expressed as frozen water to avoid confusion.

I think it would make sense if they applied some forethought...

Forethought? Don't make me laugh! They don't know forethought from their foreskins.

Of course there is forethought. This kind of rule is a wet dream for lawmakers all over the world.

Pass a law that can't possibly be rigidly enforced. Then enforce it where, when, and against whomever you choose. Let the "good guys" skate.

The Repubs and Dems are green with envy.

The distance between Bangla Road in Patong and the next school is ....

post-693-0-74585700-1437738233_thumb.jpg

while Paradise Complex is much nearer... All down the Sawadirak are some bars as well. Let's see what is happening there.

Edited by hkt83100

So when will we get something definitive? I'd like to plan an evening out with the wife which includes a couple of drinks with dinner and I don't want to waste my time on restaurants unable to serve alcohol.

So when will we get something definitive? I'd like to plan an evening out with the wife which includes a couple of drinks with dinner and I don't want to waste my time on restaurants unable to serve alcohol.

Nobody knows for sure, but I'd lay good money on nothing changing at all.

All this is about is to stop students being able to get their hands on booze so easily. I can't imagine it will truly affect nightclubs and bars etc.

Places like Soi Cowboy and other large entertainment venues will simply get special permission, probably in the form of some kind of certificate and more paperwork that will probably need to be on display behind the bar.

Then again, maybe this is the start of the MAJOR clean up?

If this has been invoked under Article 44 then that would suggest it's a serious business and they ain't messing about.

It also suggests this is much more than say the other 'crackdowns' we've heard about - the one immigration put out about blacklisting overstayers spring to mind.

Maybe this govt actually will get rid of the sleaze and corruption once and for all.

I still think its is the former and won't actually apply to the vast majority of venues.

Ok, now just to confirm.

In Pattaya , Wat Chai has a school, Walking street is less than 300 meters away, so no more alcohol on Walking street?

On 3 road, there is a hair stylist school and a a numbers of bars and pubs . So no more alcohol at any of those ?

If that's the case , may be best to close all bars and just open schools

Yikes. Windmill is 242m from the Wat..... Guess I'll have to find somewhere else to get my beer and debauchery fix.

I'd like to see an expanded map - not just the lower Sukhumvit area. ThongLor for example, isn't shown on this map. I wonder what the ThongLor cops think about this... is it going to hinder their moneymaking activities, or are they getting a big increase?

If this law persists and does not fall by the wayside, it is going to affect a lot of businesses. I know one owner of two restaurants on Soi 8 that is in the red zone now. She won't be too pleased about this.

I think it would make sense if they applied some forethought, and some zoning. Where is an area away from the schools that could become a new nightlife district?

Ideally, the better solution would be to move the schools out of the city core to a location that is easily accessible by transit for students. This would saolve a lot of traffic and congestion in the city center evey day.

But I have been here long enough to know that rational thinking is never part of the process.

I am having a beer in Thonglor near soi 8 right now. So either I am nowhere near a school or the bar I am in doesn't know this law yet. I'm not going to tell them.

It will become more difficult to buy alcohol and find female companionship in Pattaya as soon as the next snow storm hits!

Difficult to find female companionship in Pattaya? I nearly fell of my chair Ha Ha Ha He He! Not in our lifetime!

From the map, it looks like the lower end of Nana, Soi 6, Soi 8 and around that side of Suk, and some of Soi 11 all the way to Cowboy and surrounding areas cannot sell alcohol.

I don't see mention of a time limit...like up until 8pm at night. Can't imagine that they would make it 24 hour ban.

Pretty funny if this is in fact true and enforced.

A lot of unhappy Mongers.

It is not just bars, it is 7/11s, restaurants, hotels (of which there are many in that area). There are two 7/11s on my street that affected. It does not matter that the schools on my street - the students are not legally able to purchase (8 years underage).... and a matter of just enforcing the current laws prior to this would have stopped almost all students from drinking (drinking age is 20). Just make it so that anyone that looks under 25 has to be id'd. Of course we all know that what will really happen is it will just be used as a money making opportunity for police.

That is what is done all over in the USA. If they don't look old enough then dont sell to them. If you are not sure then check drivers license. And police do random buys using kids and vdo to ensure convictions of the person who sold it and fines to the company where it was bought at.

They sell Brasso in 7 11 so there is always that. I cant wait to see the village shop policed on this? By the same police who are allowing drugs to be sold in the same village knowing exactly who the dealer is but say they have to actually catch them passing the drugs over. Well they wont if the seller leaves them somewhere and the buyer goes to the same spot to collect them later. The evidence is they have no job but always have money. The buyer has told you who they are! Get their phone records and man up. Do the job you are paid to do. Tidy up Thailand please! Innocent people are getting hurt. Tourists numbers are decreasing. Businesses and economy are affected. Are the Police the main cause rather than the sale of alcohol?

All this is about is to stop students being able to get their hands on booze so easily. I can't imagine it will truly affect nightclubs and bars etc.

Places like Soi Cowboy and other large entertainment venues will simply get special permission, probably in the form of some kind of certificate and more paperwork that will probably need to be on display behind the bar.

If this has been invoked under Article 44 then that would suggest it's a serious business and they ain't messing about.

It also suggests this is much more than say the other 'crackdowns' we've heard about - the one immigration put out about blacklisting overstayers spring to mind.

Maybe this govt actually will get rid of the sleaze and corruption once and for all.

I still think its is the former and won't actually apply to the vast majority of venues.

"......get rid of the sleaze and corruption....."

Can we assume you are referring to the prosecutions and disciplinary action being carried out by the present government against sleazy corrupt politicians, police and businessmen. Or are you one of the puritans that believes anything to do with sex in Thailand is sleazy and corrupt?

Actually, if the government really did put the squeeze on the entertainment industry as a whole, where it involves any form of sex for pay, you can expect a mass outcry from Thai women and Thai men. The squeaking from farangs will be drowned out by the local noise.

It depends on your definition of sleazy, as to whether Cowboy and Nana are equivalent to the Ratchadapisek emporiums.

"......get rid of the sleaze and corruption....."

Can we assume you are referring to the prosecutions and disciplinary action being carried out by the present government against sleazy corrupt politicians, police and businessmen. Or are you one of the puritans that believes anything to do with sex in Thailand is sleazy and corrupt?

Actually, if the government really did put the squeeze on the entertainment industry as a whole, where it involves any form of sex for pay, you can expect a mass outcry from Thai women and Thai men. The squeaking from farangs will be drowned out by the local noise.

It depends on your definition of sleazy, as to whether Cowboy and Nana are equivalent to the Ratchadapisek emporiums.

No puritan here.

I'm talking about the bent politicians, police, local authorities etc.

It really beggars belief! How much more <deleted>' stupid can those stupid people get who make such stupid laws? It just doesn't make any sense at all, except to kill 'joy'!

Honestly, <deleted>?

This country is absolutely drowning in stupidity. It is the hub of stupidity. It is a country of sheep led by stupid donkeys. Words fail me, and I'm not even a drinker!

the PM preachs about stopping corruption all this law is going to do is open and further more corruption.

you have a drinking age law you need to enforce it, all this law is going to do is hurt business and creat more proplems.

i have an idea, since they are preaching that people who are corrupt would be sent to jail, here is my fix, put a wall around Thailand and make the whole country a prison. by the time you put all corrupt people in jail it will encompass the whole country. just call it the prison of Thailand.

as usual a new law comes out that is not thought out, and you all ready have a drinking age law, just enforce it. the best way to reduce alcohol consumption is through EDUCATION.