Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

It's a ridiculous, poorly thought-through, knee-jerk law that will lead nowhere (and will be unenforceable in the long term).

While I do see the need to get this country's youth away from the booze (we ARE, after all, the second-highest alcohol consumer in ASEAN and one of the top boozing countries in the world apart from some Eastern European nations), the horse has once again been saddled up from the wrong end.

And if you're operating a bartender school, you're in deep trouble now, huh?

I think you mean "they".

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the map, it looks like the lower end of Nana, Soi 6, Soi 8 and around that side of Suk, and some of Soi 11 all the way to Cowboy and surrounding areas cannot sell alcohol.

I don't see mention of a time limit...like up until 8pm at night. Can't imagine that they would make it 24 hour ban.

Pretty funny if this is in fact true and enforced.

A lot of unhappy Mongers.

One way to curb the sex trade biggrin.png Who would've thought Prayut could think so creatively w00t.gif

First: Thailand is not renowned for following up on amendments or rules in any meaningful way. Curbing, controlling or attempting to change the behaviour of drivers and motorcyclists on the roads is none existent and is a prime example.

But for what it is worth the following is what the amendment and rules is supposed to be aimed at

The new rule is an amendment of Sections 4 and 27 of the 2008 Alcohol Control Act. Alcohol sales within 300 meters of higher-education institutions governed by the education law are now officially outlawed.

However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree.
The orders say the ban is for 300 metres of higher educational institutes

So in answer to our concerned friend that asks about hairdressing schools be safe, you can by your booze from there and drink while you’re having your hair permed. In summary, like the road rules, where there is money to be made so perhaps more money is able to be made from these new amendments.

I'd like to see an expanded map - not just the lower Sukhumvit area. ThongLor for example, isn't shown on this map. I wonder what the ThongLor cops think about this... is it going to hinder their moneymaking activities, or are they getting a big increase?

If this law persists and does not fall by the wayside, it is going to affect a lot of businesses. I know one owner of two restaurants on Soi 8 that is in the red zone now. She won't be too pleased about this.

I think it would make sense if they applied some forethought, and some zoning. Where is an area away from the schools that could become a new nightlife district?

Ideally, the better solution would be to move the schools out of the city core to a location that is easily accessible by transit for students. This would saolve a lot of traffic and congestion in the city center evey day.

But I have been here long enough to know that rational thinking is never part of the process.

Whooa, your proposal is to move schools out of cities so you can get pissed up and whore all day? huh.png

If this rule persists long enough, eventually new places selling booze will spring up all around the 300m boundaries. The result? Every school and uni in the country will be only a 300m walk to booze ... in any direction.

Good plan.

clap2.gif

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

Don't worry, it's just booze that's being "banned". The dancing girls will still be there. Students welcome.

laugh.png While the mongers are sitting around sipping Coke cheesy.gif

Drinkers, smokers, or any drug addict should be re-located in a island so they can continue killing themselves freely.

It would be much simpler to relocate all the puritans as there's a lot less of them.

Also, I believe they did that once before about 400 years ago and it didn't turn out too great.

Now we have better means.

However, the fact that intoxicants are widely consumed in every country does not make it right, I hope you still have the sense of right and wrong in your system. I am not a puritan, puritan is a stupid word and offensive. I used to drink and smoke and do all that shit. I am talking now because I can see clearly. If you are intoxicated you are not you, you are the intoxicant, therefore you are just wasting your life. I will not reply further to this thread, adieu.

Berto makes a very good point. The word 'puritan' is as offensive to those of us who are not here to exploit destitute farm girls as the word 'monger' or 'sexpat' is to those who are.

Edited by dageurreotype

In dire distress? Join AA Meetings daily.

I went to an A A meeting once.

Bunch of pissheads, no way I would let them anywhere near my car!

Some people brighten up a room by arriving. Others by leaving. Let me guess....

You guess away. It's an old joke. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Has there any study that proves that a 300m radius ban on selling alcohol reduces student consumption? Or that enforcing existing age laws wouldn't be more effective?

So how do they justify interference with free, legal trade, and the restricting the alcohol consumption of students of legal age?

I have lived in Thailand long enough to know that it is the Land of Crackdowns, most of which either don't last long, if they eventuate at all.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. The time restrictions for selling alcohol still hold, together with closing times even in places like Patong. It does seem the junta have given this one a lot of thought if reports of signs already having been printed and gone up, businesses swiftly adhering to this new edict are anything to go by.

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

They are not half as entertaining as the comments from those that think this ruling will make one iota of difference in the drinking habits of locals... Congrats for being the first on the scene with an asinine comment...

I have lived in Thailand long enough to know that it is the Land of Crackdowns, most of which either don't last long, if they eventuate at all.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. The time restrictions for selling alcohol still hold, together with closing times even in places like Patong. It does seem the junta have given this one a lot of thought if reports of signs already having been printed and gone up, businesses swiftly adhering to this new edict are anything to go by.

I have read a few posts also.. But not seen any pictures..

Surely in this day when everyone has a smartphone, you would expect evidence rather than rumor.

its no trick question and is easily seen if you read the text, but the prize you are talking about is your IQ will have gone up

Our confusion comes from the fact we don't know which mistake you refer to. I can find a few hundred in the thread, but most of them would be grammar or spelling... Probably not what you're looking for.

Here's my entry for the Ultimate Irony of the Day contest:

It so happens, that a couple of BKK's better known BJ bars (heavy on the BJs, light on the bar part, really) happen to be located a pretty short distance from an elementary school in lower Sukhumvit.

So if the government actually enforces this, the BJ bars would likely be forbidden from serving beers anymore, but continuing to offer BJs with the staff girls sitting outside plying their trade a short distance from the elementary school would be (and always has been) perfectly fine!

Hmmmm as of yesterday evening, and I will check again this evening...... This new law seems to have gone unoticed by our local "shopkeeper/ bar owner whatever" in village thats opposite the school

It so happens, that a couple of BKK's better known BJ bars (heavy on the BJs, light on the bar part, really) happen to be located a pretty short distance from an elementary school in lower Sukhumvit.

So if the government actually enforces this, the BJ bars would likely be forbidden from serving beers anymore, but continuing to offer BJs with the staff girls sitting outside plying their trade a short distance from the elementary school would be (and always has been) perfectly fine!

Not many Thai students go to BJ bars, so don't see how this is an issue. Unless of course, you're suggesting the students are the providers?

Thailand becoming like Singapore is a journey of a thousand miles. But a journey of a thousand miles still needs to start with a single step.

This IS a very important step, and this is hopefully the beginning of that long journey. We might be seeing history in the making here.

Singapore has no ban on alcohol sales near schools.

Singapore bars can be open past 4 am, except in residential areas (then about 2 am).

Singapore cars are not allowed to run down pedestrians in zebra crossings nor drunkenly murder police officers

Singapore has legal prostitution (Thailand does not).

Regular Singapore women (not hookers) dress 100x more provocatively than Thai women (ever been to Orchard Rd? I lived there).

So....if Thailand is becoming like Singapore, I guess we can expect all of these things soon here in Thailand? I'm looking forward to it!

If enforced, the alcohol ban wouldn't affect me much personally, but it would destroy countless small businesses in my area of Bangkok (Siam/Ratchaprasong), which is not even a party district.

You missed:

Singapore has Orchard Towers

Not many Thai students go to BJ bars, so don't see how this is an issue. Unless of course, you're suggesting the students are the providers?

Not many Thai elementary school age kids are buying beers at the local 7/11 or hanging out in bars / nightclubs either.

But the government, apparently, is still proposing to ban alcohol sales at those venues around elementary school sites (along with universities, etc.)

It's not OK to have a 7/11 that sells beers near an elementary school, but it's perfectly fine to have a BJ bar in the same vicinity???

Has there any study that proves that a 300m radius ban on selling alcohol reduces student consumption? Or that enforcing existing age laws wouldn't be more effective?

So how do they justify interference with free, legal trade, and the restricting the alcohol consumption of students of legal age?

Probably hasn't.

Let's see if there is an increase in alcohol related traffic accidents.

As a student mentioned in the Bangkok Post, it just means he has to travel further to get a drink. It won't stop him drinking.

So how many youngsters will now jump on a motorcycle and ride to the pub instead of walking?

Probably hasn't.

Let's see if there is an increase in alcohol related traffic accidents.

As a student mentioned in the Bangkok Post, it just means he has to travel further to get a drink. It won't stop him drinking.

So how many youngsters will now jump on a motorcycle and ride to the pub instead of walking?

Walking? I thought they ride their m/c to cross the road!

In some Australian states where prostitution is legal brothels are banned within about 300 metres of all schools and churches. Sounds about the same to me.

The Thai authorities are far more concerned about the evils of alchohol. Prostitution is part of life for most Thai males.