PM lashes out at EU fisheries panel over 'red card' idea

Lite Beer

Oh Prayut, Prayut ...... Toys and Prams come to mind

Doesn't anyone think it's strange that Thai fishermen have been illegally fishing with slaves for generations, migrants have been trafficked through Thailand for decades, Thai airlines have had substandard standards for years, and yet, it's all coming to the fore now?

I suspect the reason it is coming to the fore is because the guy is actually trying to do something about it. And the first step- is to allow the media to report on it. Which it's been doing. Unlike the past where we rarely read about mass graves of Rohingyas, slaves on fishing boats, poor airline standards, etc.

I don't blame the guy for getting hacked. These are problems that took generations of corruption and kleptocracy to create and ferment. They're not going to be unwound in a typical news cycle.

Given the disdain the EU and USA have for military rule, he's pretty reasonable for suspecting they're turning the screws now for fishing, TIP and airline safety, but their real agenda is to get back to the Kleptocracy.

It ain't paranoid if they're really after you.

I dont agree, i support the junta and like i always tell the red cheerleaders when a crime has been committed and someone is punished its not political. Here the Thais are breaking the rules its not imaginary and they have had warnings so not political.

It would be political if there was no base to ban Thai products, but there is so its just enforcing the law.

Prayut has inherited the problems from all the previous governments, it might be bad luck that it surfaces now or there are alternative motives but the fact remains the problem that is being pursued is real.

IMHO its never political when there is a real crime.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont agree, i support the junta and like i always tell the red cheerleaders when a crime has been committed and someone is punished its not political. Here the Thais are breaking the rules its not imaginary and they have had warnings so not political.

It would be political if there was no base to ban Thai products, but there is so its just enforcing the law.

Prayut has inherited the problems from all the previous governments, it might be bad luck that it surfaces now or there are alternative motives but the fact remains the problem that is being pursued is real.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm 100% behind the EU for imposing sanctions. But they should have done it years ago. I just question the timing.

And make no mistake. It's always political.

Doesn't anyone think it's strange that Thai fishermen have been illegally fishing with slaves for generations, migrants have been trafficked through Thailand for decades, Thai airlines have had substandard standards for years, and yet, it's all coming to the fore now?

I suspect the reason it is coming to the fore is because the guy is actually trying to do something about it. And the first step- is to allow the media to report on it. Which it's been doing. Unlike the past where we rarely read about mass graves of Rohingyas, slaves on fishing boats, poor airline standards, etc.

I don't blame the guy for getting hacked. These are problems that took generations of corruption and kleptocracy to create and ferment. They're not going to be unwound in a typical news cycle.

Given the disdain the EU and USA have for military rule, he's pretty reasonable for suspecting they're turning the screws now for fishing, TIP and airline safety, but their real agenda is to get back to the Kleptocracy.

i agree. Was thinking the same in the beginning and was the other said a bit paranoid. But after reading more about it in EU news and documentary, its not political, but based on real facts

That all the TIP, airline safety and IUU (Illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing) Regulation is just some kind of "bad karma" if we are going to use there verbs Thais understand and using, hitting Thailand right now.

Its all going on for years where greed and a mai pen rai was all they talk about. I'm not sure this problem is never going to be handled correct, cause my experience of Thai is the like to talk to a desiccation, but never ever full fill it to action.

Edited by carstenp

Again , welcome to the 21st century where thanks to digital technology saving face and blaming others is impossible nowadays.....

"Blame your own people for getting caught, lol"

Edited by MaxLee

i agree. Was thinking the same in the beginning and was the other said a bit paranoid. But after reading more about it in EU news and documentary, its not political, but based on real facts

That all the TIP, airline safety and IUU (Illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing) Regulation is just some kind of "bad karma" if we are going to use there verbs Thais understand and using, hitting Thailand right now.

Its all going on for years where greed and a mai pen rai was all they talk about. I'm not sure this problem is never going to be handled correct, cause my experience of Thai is the like to talk to a desiccation, but never ever full fill it to action.

A cynical person could argue that they're simply trying to put so much pressure on the junta that Thailand will go back to being a kleptocracy- which is what the USA and EU want.

Had they cracked down 3 years ago, it wouldn't be so suspicious. The violations were already decades old.

From a moral viewpoint the dismantling of the slave trade within the fishing industry is more important than arguing over whether the EU's intervention is politically motivated. No person should ever be allowed to own another, and if a clash of political ideals is what was needed to start bringing about an end to this inhumane practice then so be it.

From a moral viewpoint the dismantling of the slave trade within the fishing industry is more important than arguing over whether the EU's intervention is politically motivated. No person should ever be allowed to own another, and if a clash of political ideals is what was needed to start bringing about an end to this inhumane practice then so be it.

I don't disagree with that. But given the topic of the thread (and the post I'm replying to), I can't blame the guy if he's a little miffed that they gave the previous 20 (okay, an exaggeration) governments a pass, and now they "get serious", and want generations of problems solved in 90 days- or else. It puts him in an untenable position.

A cynical person could argue that they're simply trying to put so much pressure on the junta that Thailand will go back to being a kleptocracy- which is what the USA and EU want.

Had they cracked down 3 years ago, it wouldn't be so suspicious. The violations were already decades old.

The EU is slowly getting where it wants to go, there might be some alternative motives. but the Thais are breaking the laws and they have recently done the same with the Philippines so im not that suspicious.

The EU is slowly getting where it wants to go, there might be some alternative motives. but the Thais are breaking the laws and they have recently done the same with the Philippines so im not that suspicious.

I wasn't aware of the Phil's. I'm not questioning the veracity, but I'd like to find out more. Got any links?

He is sincere about addressing the problem then lets the unregistered boats go back out to fish for another 2 months. Enjoy your relathionship with China and Russia Thailand. You all deserve each other.

Edited by ldiablo

I wasn't aware of the Phil's. I'm not questioning the veracity, but I'd like to find out more. Got any links?

It was in one of the articles posted here about the fishing problems that the EU had done the same to the Philippines recently That is what made me think its not political.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4806_en.htm

Edited by robblok

I have been following this story and as far as I can see they have done nothing, recent reports indicate the unregistered vessels have been allowed to go fishing.

I think this guy is showing us what we already know that he is not in control he is simply a puppet to those of influence.

I think this guy is showing us what we already know that he is not in control he is simply a puppet to those of influence.

I'm more inclined to believe he's smart enough to realize that undoing generations of corruption and bringing Thailand into compliance with international standards (on many issues) will be painful for many, and will take some time. There will be some setbacks when the pain gets too onerous.

It's not just a matter of parking non- compliant boats. It's also finding alternative ways for those folks to feed their families- and that's tens of thousands of people, not just the fat cat fleet owners.

Edited by impulse

I'm more inclined to believe he's smart enough to realize that undoing generations of corruption and bringing Thailand into compliance with international standards (on many issues) will be painful for many, and will take some time. There will be some setbacks when the pain gets too onerous.

It's not just a matter of parking non- compliant boats. It's also finding alternative ways for those folks to feed their families- and that's tens of thousands of people, not just the fat cat fleet owners.

I really wish I could agree but nothing the PM has ever said indicates the level of shrewdness you describe.

Also the pain of many is a direct result of the inequality perpetuated by corruption.

I really wish I could agree but nothing the PM has ever said indicates the level of shrewdness you describe.

Also the pain of many is a direct result of the inequality perpetuated by corruption.

Well put.

The short answer is "I don't know". Because I'm not tapped in to high levels of the gub'ment here. I'm offering up food for thought- the possibility that the guy may not sprout fangs and start eating kids.

That he may be a decent man trying to set the country on a more fair and equitable course- which would, of necessity mean less corruption. But hundreds of years of culture won't be turned around before the red card decision, or the TIP report, or the FAA airline audits.

Of course, I'm open to the possibility he may start snacking on children's noses next week. (But I doubt it)

If I break into a bank and steal money, is it the governments responsibility to find me another way to feed my family? Why? They've broken the laws that Thailand has on its books but never bothers to enforce. Someone should tell Thais that forming a committee of passing a law on the books doesn't mean a damn thing if you have no intention of enforcing the law.

Which Prayuth is now being forced to do, and he likes it not one bit. He has the emotional maturity of a 14-year-old in the west. Check Jean Piaget and the scale of chid development.

The problem is, he's the tail, not the dog.

The short answer is "I don't know". Because I'm not tapped in to high levels of the gub'ment here. I'm offering up food for thought- the possibility that the guy may not sprout fangs and start eating kids.

That he may be a decent man trying to set the country on a more fair and equitable course- which would, of necessity mean less corruption. But hundreds of years of culture won't be turned around before the red card decision, or the TIP report, or the FAA airline audits.

Of course, I'm open to the possibility he may start snacking on children's noses next week. (But I doubt it)

Prayuth is an icehole in the classic Thai form. Part of the secret of being an icehole and getting away with it is not snacking on children's body parts - not in public at least.

Doesn't make him not an icehole though.

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

Prayuth is an icehole in the classic Thai form. Part of the secret of being an icehole and getting away with it is not snacking on children's body parts - not in public at least.

Can't even discuss comments like that meaningfully. No facts, no context, no examples, no credentials. Just hate.

Oh please. He tried not to do anything about it, using all the traditional Thai tools, abuse, tantrums, threats then finally trying to take his ball and go home "we don't need the EU anyway, we have much bigger and better markets to sell into" (watch the nose get longer).

As for the press, he threatened and cajoled jpournalists who created or carried the stories. Oh, you didn't notice that?

As for trying to do something about it: Thailand has about 300,000 soldiers. Only one was involved in trafficking? That's not the popularly held opinion, even among Thais who love to lie cheat and steal at every opportunity if they think they can get away with it.

Your comment was absolutly sensible and correct. Except for the bits that were wrong and daft.

I must be missing something.

In one article thai fishing boat owners are doing their banana because they are finally being held to account by the current thai government by forceful compliance means and in this article we have the usual clowns doing their usual thai bashing on everything going on the back of that legal enforcement.

Keep up the good work Prayuth. Even those that want to enforce change still have to dance around the clowns and monkeys.

You are missing everything ... but being a clown thai apologist nobody expect anything else ... clap2.gif

Do you turn the blind eye to slavery in fishing industry as long as you can buy your low quality crab cheap ... ? bah.gif

Oh please. He tried not to do anything about it, using all the traditional Thai tools, abuse, tantrums, threats then finally trying to take his ball and go home "we don't need the EU anyway, we have much bigger and better markets to sell into" (watch the nose get longer).

As for the press, he threatened and cajoled jpournalists who created or carried the stories. Oh, you didn't notice that?

As for trying to do something about it: Thailand has about 300,000 soldiers. Only one was involved in trafficking? That's not the popularly held opinion, even among Thais who love to lie cheat and steal at every opportunity if they think they can get away with it.

Your comment was absolutly sensible and correct. Except for the bits that were wrong and daft.

Perhaps you may want to check your posts against your own criteria:

He has the emotional maturity of a 14-year-old in the west. Check Jean Piaget and the scale of chid development.

All I'm reading is "Prayut is a poopy head".

Can't even discuss comments like that meaningfully. No facts, no context, no examples, no credentials. Just hate.

Not hate my friend. contempt. And you really don't know what an icehole is? Never met one? Never had someone shaft you and try to make it seem they're doing you a favour?

No point having a sensible discussion about people like Prayuth. Or Pol Pot, or George Dubya Bush - the subject matter does not predispose.

You should know that.

And if I have to present facts, context or examples about this man then you just haven't been paying attention.

These things take time, give him a chance.

How come no one is looking into Burmese, Indonesian, even Malaysian fishing industries.

Thailand must be a problem because it has a Military Government, Bull Shit!

Stop the threats and let Thailand have time to sort this out.

Boat owners are selling their boats, good they probable can't produce the necessary papers to prove ownership, and taxes paid.

Yep, the Burmese and buying the boats, how about that!

The Malaysians are in deep shit, took time as they are better at keeping secrets, the tip of the iceberg is visible and soon it will be big enough to sink the boat.

I am still wondering why no one is criticizing,China, Iran, Iraq, Sudan the list goes on and on, Why is Thailand picked on when the real Killers of the world get away with murder and no one says anything

There are no guns on the streets, people are secure in their homes, crime on citizen is very low just as it is against tourists.

Comparatively "The Kingdom" of Thailand is the safest country in the world.

On this forum we only get the bad things that happen to people, look at the statistics lo low to even calculate.

The economic refuges send them home, ileagel workers send the home. They are a drain on limited resources at the present time.

Patriotism and Thainess are very much needed now in "The Kingdom"

I interact with Thai's and Farangs every day the only complaints I hear are "personal preferences" no hot water, food to hot, immigration slow long lines. Nothing substantive or really important, all are happy, so why do all most bitches seem to come from this forum?

You're way off the mark. While illegal fisheries flourish around the world, few are as active as the Thai fishing boat owners. They fish in the waters of all neighbouring countries, even as far as Indonesia. It's common to have several boats under the same license, which have resulted in far to many vessels and no control over how much fish is actually caught. As for Myanmar, they lack vessels, but partly due to the Thais activities in their waters (which were legal until last year, but not on the scale that was actually happening), catches are diminishing.

When that is said, Prayut's government has actually done more than any other government the last few decades to fix this. The problem is that fishing boat owners have immense influence locally and that enormous amounts of money are involved. In reality, the government doesn't have the means to control this in a proper way unless they replace all corrupt government officials that are supposed to oversee this nationwide. Another problem is that a EU boycott probably won't affect the fishing boats much. There are other markets, they can deliver in neighbouring countries and they can deliver fish for production of fishmeal, a product that is profitable and very much sought after worldwide.

The only reason this government did anything was because of the yellow card. If they deliver their catches in other countries these countries will get banned with Thailand. If you read the EU regulations you will know this. If they divert the fish to fishmeal they will decrease their income to +- 20% of their present income, because fishmeal is much cheaper than fish for human consumption. Outside of the EU and the US there are very few open markets (markets not giving protection to their own fisheries).

I admire you positive thinking on this issue, I was for a short time a believer in the PM and his intention to change the country.

Since then I have read some Thai history and have also seen the the loss of momentum on what we could have expected to be simple solutions to simple problems, like sorting taxi transport, beach vendors and the despised jetski scammers on Phuket on all of these issues it seems clear that the well connected and or criminal families/ gangs are too strong to be influenced or dismantled by the PM, if in fact that was his intention.

The only reason this government did anything was because of the yellow card.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that statement. Except when you single out THIS government, which I'm assuming to mean the Prayut government, and not the 20 Thai governments before him who didn't do anything about it, either.

Perhaps you may want to check your posts against your own criteria:

He has the emotional maturity of a 14-year-old in the west. Check Jean Piaget and the scale of chid development.

All I'm reading is "Prayut is a poopy head".

Well, there you go. I give you the topic to look up and you can't be bothered. Much better to abuse the messenger I suppose, youll only read what it suits you to read it seems.

Try not to confuse liking/admiring someone with their being a good person. Try to broaden your horizons.

And yes, as a matter of fact I do think Prayuth is a poopy-head, but then he's Thai so he got a natural advantage.

Ansd what's wrong with my posts? Apart from the fact you evidently don't agree with what I say. Feel free to point out where they are wrong-headed or untrue. but I haven''t seen you make any positive contribution as yet, just whining.

Waaaa. Not me - you. Waaa.

Baaaa. I just like the guy. Baaaa.

Comparatively "The Kingdom" of Thailand is the safest country in the world.

Maybe compared to the other 2 countries you have seen in your life, but compared to developed countries Thailand is not even close (freedom of speech, rule of law, corruption police force, corruption judicial, availability of firearms, etc etc etc)

Agree .. ksamuiguy are apparently totally clueless about whats going on in Thailand - should think the B2 case taking place near him (if his username has anything to say) would wake him up but oh well, let him put his head in the sand like a true Citizen ... rolleyes.gif