UK spouse visa - FLR & Passport expiry.

Hi everyone.

Hoping to get some advice and ideas.

I'm sure the answers are up here already but hard to find and you lot are good at solving problems.

My wife (Thai) is over here (UK) on the Spouse/settlement visa. We are due to apply for FLR next April/May. Her passport expires 2018.

We plan to go to Thailand for a 2week hol at Xmas before we apply for FLR.

what to do about her passport? Get a new one at Xmas? Yes I understand her passport and FLR visa will be fine at the moment but what we don't plan on going back to Thailand for a while after this time. So what about the ILR application?

Can we renew her passport in UK?

Thanks.

Anton.

Thai passports can be renewed at the Thai Embassy. You need to make an appointment for your wife if she doesn't want to make it herself.Check the details for the procedure at the Thai embassy web site. I believe on-street parking is available, but it's a fair few years since I last used it.

Great news thanks.

Do you know anything about her FLR visa (if and when we get it) in her current passport. Will that transfer or still be valid? Will the ILR then go into the new passport.

Cheers.

She will get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) in both cases, not a sticker in her passport. Adults' BRPs must be renewed every ten years, on pain of fines, imprisonment or expulsion, and changes in address and other information supplied to obtain them must be notified to the government under similar pains. We have no evidence of people who have naturalised being punished for not renewing BRPs.

Thai passports can be renewed at the Thai Embassy. You need to make an appointment for your wife if she doesn't want to make it herself.Check the details for the procedure at the Thai embassy web site. I believe on-street parking is available, but it's a fair few years since I last used it.

From the RTE website:

In Thai

In English

There is limited on street parking in Queens Gate and surrounding streets, but it's expensive and of limited duration.

The embassy is about a ten minute walk from either Gloucester Road tube or South Kensington tube (both served by the Circle, District and Piccadilly lines).