Thai govt uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my youth they had drag strips and during the week their would be open drags. The vehicles would be safety checked, alcohol was not allowed, and these events were controlled and sanctioned.

Give Thais kids an option, maybe things would change.

If as stated the aim of the alcohol ban is - "To protect youths from risky behaviors and vices that could lead to societal problems in the future" - But where is the evidence?

Does the government have any data on what is the problem is specifically? and is there any information or studies that have shown that this kind of law will solve it? - Or is it all based upon a guess?

There will be many workarounds - In my local University there are flyers on most notice boards for various pizza delivery services including just alcohol and no pizza - Why would this law prevent delivery of alcohol using this existing supply route? In fact new delivery routes might get created as motorcycle taxis see this an a opportunity to act as middleman to drive the 300 meters for pick up and drop off services and compete with the exiting food delivery services as they see the market expand.

Outside of this I think the legal age to drink alcohol in Thailand is 20 yrs old - surely that captures the youth target in the current law?

So far I have heard one guy from CM that has received an official notice about this ban. Not sure it is true or not.

I would think if it is having any effect or in fact real, there would be some serious chatter from bar owners and customers here on TVF,other social media and even the mainstream media.

Does anybody go out anymore? Seen any significant changes?

If restaurants and hotels are exempt, why not simply claim your bar, nightclub, karaoke house, massage parlor, or go-go establishment is a "restaurant"? Just add a couple of light appetizers to your menu, if you don't serve them already, and voila!

7/11 not being able to sell alcohol? I guess I can see that as plausible. But Big C or Villa Market? I can't imagine them without their immense beer/liquor/wine departments. And what about just plain liquor stores, whose entire business is based solely on alcohol sales? What about King Power Duty Free near the Pullman Hotel?

I don't go out drinking habitually, but when I get together with friends, we have a favorite place near Nana, which for now is simply a bar (no food). I sure hope it doesn't close. It's a Bangkok institution, having been there for decades! And I can't imagine going to see some ladies in Soi Cowboy and not being able to have a drink (or for that matter, being practically forced to buy the lady a drink). I can't imagine going to an upscale, DJ-and-light-show type dance club and not getting bottle service.

And what happens if the law becomes a permanent fixture, when New Year's Eve rolls around? Or next Songkhran? Yeah, good luck with that.

Sorry, they came into my restaurant yesterday, gave me 1 month notice!! Restaurants are not exempt!! I cn only sell food!!

If restaurants and hotels are exempt, why not simply claim your bar, nightclub, karaoke house, massage parlor, or go-go establishment is a "restaurant"? Just add a couple of light appetizers to your menu, if you don't serve them already, and voila!

7/11 not being able to sell alcohol? I guess I can see that as plausible. But Big C or Villa Market? I can't imagine them without their immense beer/liquor/wine departments. And what about just plain liquor stores, whose entire business is based solely on alcohol sales? What about King Power Duty Free near the Pullman Hotel?

I don't go out drinking habitually, but when I get together with friends, we have a favorite place near Nana, which for now is simply a bar (no food). I sure hope it doesn't close. It's a Bangkok institution, having been there for decades! And I can't imagine going to see some ladies in Soi Cowboy and not being able to have a drink (or for that matter, being practically forced to buy the lady a drink). I can't imagine going to an upscale, DJ-and-light-show type dance club and not getting bottle service.

And what happens if the law becomes a permanent fixture, when New Year's Eve rolls around? Or next Songkhran? Yeah, good luck with that.

Sorry, they came into my restaurant yesterday, gave me 1 month notice!! Restaurants are not exempt!! I cn only sell food!!

Flames, where are you based ?

Edited by Broken Record

Flamesfan, where are you based ?

Which Idiot are you talking about ? Be specific so when they come after you, you will know why !!

I prefer to say there are some seriously misguided people in Thailand, But the General is not one of them. Having said that, I do not agree with this method of preventing young people from obtaining alcohol. Start with enforcing the present law, both the student, parent and bar owner !!

You can't fault this idiot for his good intentions. But the execution of his plan? Yeah, when pigs fly. I work in a school less than 300 m from a 7-ELEVEN in a popular tourist area. I can't imagine them closing their alcohol sales.

You cant really blame the youth for drinking...

They must be so ashamed at their elders for phuqing up the country, time and time again.... plus the incessant lying to justify things....

Drink up kiddies... your legacy awaits!

The law is completely unenforceable- America tried to ban alcohol once and it never worked. A rash of illegal bars, clubs and drinking emporiums sprung up over night. When business and money is at stake- you will see just how clever Thai's will become. I remember during the military governments of the 1960's, actually drinking alcohol in a bar was banned between 2 and 5 PM and the closing hour was midnight. Bars served suds and drinks in coffee cups and when the police came in they saw people drinking 'coffee'. That law is still on the books but only enforced in the large markets- although there are ways around that also. If they really want to stop people under the age of 20 from drinking- it is simple- check their ID cards and enforce it.

I have heard that there is a ban on selling beer to people und 16 and schnaps under 18 years old in Europe. There is a similar law in Thailand, why not just enforce it?

Are you out of your mind?? Enforce the WHAT??

So far I have heard one guy from CM that has received an official notice about this ban. Not sure it is true or not.

I would think if it is having any effect or in fact real, there would be some serious chatter from bar owners and customers here on TVF,other social media and even the mainstream media.

the only falang bar in Chaiyaphum has had a visit telling him to run his stock down & he is very much on the 300m borderline from a tech college which has the main Tesco's lotus for the provincial capital right next to it, this is a crazy law that it looks worryingly like they are going to try & enforce... this will kill a lot of businesses if it goes through with no effect whatsoever on the problem... Only in Thailand would such a stupid, self destructive law be forced through against all common sense...

The law is completely unenforceable- America tried to ban alcohol once and it never worked. A rash of illegal bars, clubs and drinking emporiums sprung up over night. When business and money is at stake- you will see just how clever Thai's will become. I remember during the military governments of the 1960's, actually drinking alcohol in a bar was banned between 2 and 5 PM and the closing hour was midnight. Bars served suds and drinks in coffee cups and when the police came in they saw people drinking 'coffee'. That law is still on the books but only enforced in the large markets- although there are ways around that also. If they really want to stop people under the age of 20 from drinking- it is simple- check their ID cards and enforce it.

Far too easy. Let them do it their way w00t.gif

Loi Kroh Rd Chiang Mai!!

the only falang bar in Chaiyaphum has had a visit telling him to run his stock down & he is very much on the 300m borderline from a tech college which has the main Tesco's lotus for the provincial capital right next to it, this is a crazy law that it looks worryingly like they are going to try & enforce... this will kill a lot of businesses if it goes through with no effect whatsoever on the problem... Only in Thailand would such a stupid, self destructive law be forced through against all common sense...

Common sense? How long have you lived here? cheesy.gif

As read great and most people would be in agreement but Thailand has laws adequate to prosecute most offences.

Let's hope the Police don't just laugh at the General and ignore the offences. ENFORCEMENT IS EVERYTHING and should also apply to the Police also for failure to do their duty.

Loi Kroh Rd Chiang Mai!!

There must be over 100 bars and restaurants that sell alcohol in that area, I can only assume since you received notice, all the others have as well?

Or how about start putting some of these oxygen thieves in those squalid hellhole prisons you have, they'll soon learn to pull their heads in if there are seen to be consequences.
And if that doesn't work put some of those useless cops who've done nothing about this issue up to now in there instead. Maybe some stick will be a good replacement for the carrot for once

The alcohol ban seems grossly unfair to me. Children will still get booze if they want it, be it from an outlet 100m from a school or 400m. Most 7/11's etc are in towns, villages with families who wish to buy there alcohol from an outlet close to home. Now they will not be able to do so if there is a school in the vicinity.

As for age limits, I used to own an off licence in UK and under age drinkers would remain just out of sight, asking adults to buy alcohol or tobacco products for them as they had been refused service in the shop. Sooner or later somebody would make the purchase for them. Were any laws broken? No.

The point, once again, is that you can make laws but what is the point if they cannot be enforced?

Instead of victimising SOME shops, bars, restaurants the real culprits (the children) should be addressed. How? Education and stronger law enforcement with tough penalties.

I am pretty sure laws were broken. Not in you selling to an adult but for an adult passing the goods to minors.

Stupid law, only making a mockery of the existing laws and even more, the police. There are students drinking all over Bangkok every day and night. If the sellers of alcohol were forced to ask for ID for everyone that looks remotely around their 15 to 25 age group and then if selling liquor have fines which mean something like 100,000 baht and 3 months jail and suspension of trading license for 5 years, then they might?? get somewhere. Also more frequent police presence where under age drinkers tend to congregate. Probably have to triple the police force though.