Skype to phones--possible in Thailand?

hougourou

I have a massive number of phone calls to make for a work assignment and thought of using Skype to call land lines throughout Thailand. I get as far as paying for the credit on their website, but it stops there, and doesn't charge my Paypal account.

A friend told me Skype to phones is illegal in Thailand--could that be the problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I don't think anything is illegal, but what's offered by Skype may depend on what country your Skype account is based in, based on your billing info.

Mine is in the U.S., and I have a Skype Unlimited World calling plan (I pay $9.99 per month as an ongoing discount rate, but I think the current rate is $13.99) that includes free calling to regular landline and mobile phones in a bunch of countries, including Thailand. We use it all the time to cut down on the volume of Thailand call minutes that we use under our Thai mobile plans.

https://secure.skype.com/catalog/buy/subscriptions?nu=subs-conv

I can't copy the entire list of countries because it's too long. But here's the countries where calls are allowed to both mobiles and landlines, including Thailand. There's a much longer list of countries that are covered for landlines only.

post-58284-0-96692300-1437798408_thumb.j

PS - It's a monthly plan thing, not a yearly contract thing. So you can start and stop it any time you choose, all managed online via your account login.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have a massive number of phone calls to make for a work assignment

Are you based in Thailand?

Do you have a land-line?

TRUE, CAT and TOT all have VoIP offers, some might meet your requirements.

Many consumer-oriented VoIP providers have fair-use policies which may limit the number of calls/amount of minutes. You should review those to make sure they do not limit your application.

Example from SKYPE:

The following actions are considered a violation of our Fair Usage Policy:

Using a subscription, for instance, to engage in telemarketing practices or call center operations
Re-selling subscription minutes
Sharing subscriptions between numerous users via a PBX, call center, computer or by any other means
Using a subscription for other than your individual business communications, calling numbers (whether individually, sequentially or automatically) to generate income for yourself or others as a result of merely placing the call
Unusual calling patterns inconsistent with common, individual subscription use, for example, making regular short calls or making calls to multiple numbers in unusually short periods of time

Thanks for your inputs. I am based in Thailand and am updating a guidebook, not telemarketing! I only want Thailand coverage, not other countries. Yes, I could use a landline VOIP program, (or a mobile) but working off my computer is really much easier, cut and paste the number from the PDF to Skype and start talking, typing changes into the PDF, sounds neat.

Still no luck, tried viber out with same results--they won't take my money. I'll keep trying.

Yes, I could use a landline VOIP program, (or a mobile) but working off my computer is really much easier

Just to reiterate

TRUE, CAT and TOT all have VoIP offers, some might meet your requirements.

these all offer the ability to originate calls on a PC.

After Skype and Viber consistently refused to accept payment, I was directed to VOIPDiscount, which seems to work fine. Calls within Thailand "free", but I had to buy a ten Euro credit to get in the system. Quality seems good, I just use the mic in my webcam. Are those headsets no longer needed?

Thanks to all.

• 1 month later...

Example from SKYPE:

The following actions are considered a violation of our Fair Usage Policy:

Fyi, I've had my wife on Skype's monthly fee Unlimited World plan for some months now. She calls her Mom in Thailand a lot, and pretty much only that one number. When I logged into our Skype account lately, I found her calling volume for the past month was 1800 minutes for the month!!!

To their credit, in the months we've had that plan for her, never once had any grief from Skype re her call volume.