Minix X7- Any recomendations for shops to update firmware?

kbirkins

I have an Neo X7 running 010 firmware and would like to update to the latest Kitkat (240) firmware. I have tried the solutions offered on the internet to do it myself but wiithout success. I live in the Asoke area of BKK and hope someone can recommend a capable shop.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga X64 running W8.1. The problem has been locating the proper drivers so that the computer will recongnize the X7 and allow flashing new firmware. The procedure on the Minix website does not work for W8.1 computers. Warning to others: I tried other solutions but none worked. One such "solution" on a website (and youtube video) called "China Gadgets" corrupted the USB and network drivers on my laptop. Its taken three full days to restore my laptop.

Anyway, this little adventure has killed my enthusiasm for this project. This is reportedly a trivial update if you have a W7 computer but alas I nor anyone I know near here has one. I'ld like to take this to a shop and have the update done for me. I will probably go to Fortune Town and ask around but if anyone has a more specific recomendation in the lower Sukhumvit area, I'd appreciate your suggestion(s).

The real problem is with the RockChip USB drivers. RockChip is the Chinese company that made the CPU used in the Mini Neo X7. I had problems getting them to work with updating to the 010 firmware on my Windows 7 machine. They didn't work as advertised and they weren't willing to with work experts who wanted to help fix the drivers.

Minix switched to using an AMLogic (an American technology company) CPU used in the Mini Neo X8.

I seem to recall that the version 010 offered an OTA (Over The Air) update of the firmware. I never tried it as there were so many problems with the software drivers supplied from RockChip. I just gave up on the MINIX Neo X5 and X7 boxes having the firmware problems fixed. It wasn't MINIX's fault, they were working hard at trying to resolve the problems, but RockChip was not cooperating with them too.

Edited by BB1950

Hopefully you stay with the recommendations posted on Minix or Freaktab forums for updating or custom rom'ing your device.

Unless a lot of knowledgeable people from those sites are recommending some Chinese/Baidu type sites with software ...stay far far far away.

I'd still recommend doing it yourself.

Unless you have better things to do with your time you may find useful suggestions trawling those forums.

Thank-you Chicog but the link you copied is for upgrading to the 010 firmware. I already have 010 and wanted to upgrade to the latest Kitkat firmware.

I'm a fairly casual user but have studied the Minix support and forum pages. I may be wrong but my take away was that this upgrade required flashing. I posted a call for help on the Minix X7 forum to no avail and frankly just about to give-up on this PITA.

Cheers

I have the X7, very little point in upgrading firmware in them.

Hardwire it to your router.

Install MCTV (from tvaddons)(a varient on Kodi with all the streaming addons pre-installed)

Use MCTV as your android shell, run any other android apps from within it's 'programs' section.

Then watch your streaming tv.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Hopefully you stay with the recommendations posted on Minix or Freaktab forums for updating or custom rom'ing your device.

Unless a lot of knowledgeable people from those sites are recommending some Chinese/Baidu type sites with software ...stay far far far away.

I'd still recommend doing it yourself.

Unless you have better things to do with your time you may find useful suggestions trawling those forums.

This link seems to have some good suggestions:

Cannot connect to RKBatchTool

I've never seen it before or tried the suggestions to see if they work or not. The suggestions in the last 4 entries seem plausible dealing with common problems which other people and I ran into.

The suggestion regarding the config.ini file for the RKBatchTool sounds interesting. I never knew about that. I just assumed there was a problem with RockChip batch tool. There were just too many problems with RockChip's supplied software and drivers at the time and RockChip wasn't providing any answers!

The last two entries suggest the OTG cable being used could be the problem.

There are several kinds of OTG cables available and they're very easy to confuse. Make sure you use the proper cable! Your cable is likely the problem:

• The original cable is about a 9" long data type cable with a long male micro OTG connector (about 1mm longer than normal).
  • It's likely you might be using a longer cable to connect to the PC. If using another, cut a bit of the rubber off so it inserts deeper.
  • The original cable is also a 'shielded' data cable. Make sure the data cable you use is also 'shielded' Many OTG data cables aren't 'shielded'. I had a problem once with another device with the 'Line Noise' affecting the data. 'Non-shielded' cables are thinner and more flexible.
  • There are 4 pin and 5 pin data cables. I think the original was a 4 pin data cable. If you use a 5 pin data cable the pins won't necessarily line up properly.

I know I used the original cable and still had a problem. Be sure to check these links out:

They have some more good suggestions and confirm the tools and drivers work on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. As I mentioned earlier I my system was Windows 7 and had problems with the RKBatchTool not detecting the device.

I have a friend who has a X5 which uses the same flashing method. It doesn't support OTA updating of the firmware. He didn't have a SD card to upgrade the way I did and the way Chicog mentioned earlier. He had no problem with the RKBatchTool not detecting the device on his computer with Windows 7, which is what I ran into.

He's a computer noobie. His only problems were the X5 does have a power switch and he connected the device to the computer before installing the RockChip USB driver. He had no problem flashing his MINIX after I helped him get straightened out on those issues. He seemed more intrigued by the Android animation that occurred on his TV while the flashing was taking place.

You do have to uninstall the driver with the auto-installation tool if you plug the device into the computer before installing the driver. Windows will load a wrong driver if the RockChip USB driver isn't installed before connecting the device to the computer!

I talked him through it over Skype. So it's possible for you to do yourself.

YMMV

Edited by BB1950

I have the X7, very little point in upgrading firmware in them.

Hardwire it to your router.

Install MCTV (from tvaddons)(a varient on Kodi with all the streaming addons pre-installed)

Use MCTV as your android shell, run any other android apps from within it's 'programs' section.

Then watch your streaming tv.

I assume you mean "TVMC"?

Dyslexia can warn without striking.

biggrin.png

Thank-you Chicog but the link you copied is for upgrading to the 010 firmware. I already have 010 and wanted to upgrade to the latest Kitkat firmware.

I'm a fairly casual user but have studied the Minix support and forum pages. I may be wrong but my take away was that this upgrade required flashing. I posted a call for help on the Minix X7 forum to no avail and frankly just about to give-up on this PITA.

Cheers

The firmware upgrade process should be the same.

What later firmware have you found?

Chicog,

After firmware 010 (JellyBean 4.2), Minix published a Kitkat version (4.4). The latest iteration from Minix is designated 240.

I'd also think the upgrade process would be the same. Roughly 18+ months ago, I was able to update my X7 to version 010. Other than the firmware version, the only thing that has changed is that my computer is running on W8.1 instead of w8.

As I mentioned before, I'm a fairly casual user. In reviewing the internet threads about this topic however, its clear that many are reporting issues flashing from W8.1 and at least one thread claims its not possible using W8.1 X64.

I assume you mean this one, which seems to recommend the "RK Flashtool" to do the update.

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x7-kitkat-240-june-4th-2015.6185/

I'm not familiar with this tool, but if you look at the comments on this video:

http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.ro/2014/06/how-to-easily-install-rockchip-rockusb.html

The video says for 8.1 x64 although some of them say it can't be done.

I assume you mean this one, which seems to recommend the "RK Flashtool" to do the update.

http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.ro/2014/06/how-to-easily-install-rockchip-rockusb.html

This is the tool that corrupted by USB and Network drivers

This is the tool that corrupted by USB and Network drivers

Well it replaces them, fixing it as as simple as going back a restore point.

Did you follow the exact procedure in that video?