Why are the English called Angkrid

juice777

Because they should relax and stop being so Angrid,

though if I looked like some of them,I would be pretty Angrid my selftongue.png

It must of been humorous for the thais...to see the first Brits...bitchin and complaining about their beer being served cold. The thais must of all started smiling and pointing....saying stuff like....look at that angry kid.

Edited by slipperylobster

I think it must have come from the Sanskrit word for England. This is the oldest language around so not a Thai translation.

Certainly the spelling of the word in Thai uses a couple of characters reserved for Pali/Sanskrit words. The last two characters are the semivowel 'ru' and the consonant 'saw rusi', which are used for P/S loanwords only.

อังกฤษ

Because they should relax and stop being so Angrid,

though if I looked like some of them,I would be pretty Angrid my selftongue.png

It must of been humorous for the thais...to see the first Brits...bitchin and complaining about their beer being served cold. The thais must of all started smiling and pointing....saying stuff like....look at that angry kid.

I dont think that's what makes them so Angrid, 'cause I dont think they drink very much,

the way I understand it it's mostly tea and crumpets .

I think they are Angrit because they cant find a proper bowler hat and cane in Thailandbiggrin.png

Certainly the spelling of the word in Thai uses a couple of characters reserved for Pali/Sanskrit words. The last two characters are the semivowel 'ru' and the consonant 'saw rusi', which are used for P/S loanwords only.

อังกฤษ[/size]

I remember reading that using the 'reserved' consonants for loanwords was once in vogue. That still doesn't explain the use of rather than .

What speaks for the "angles" is the fact that the "k" in "ankrit" does not really sound like a "k" in English, closer to a "g".

Listen more closely. The unaspirated and unvoiced Thai /k/ (ก ไก่) is not that close to the voiced /g/ consonant in English. Those transliteration systems that use g to represent ก ไก่ are doing a disservice to those wishing to learn Thai.

I'm forever telling Thais and Americans off for calling me Angrit or English. Lack of education for them both. I am Scottish, or British, coming from the British Isles.

However a well-educated or worldy ones do know "sa raat cha anaa jak" or "United Kingdom" .

I think the reason being they both don't know much about geography outside their own country.

I think you are being more than a bit sensitive.

Frankly...nobody cares at all about what part of england you are from.

anyways...you speak english a bit...don't you? whistling.gif

Unless he's from Aberdeen then he says stuff like quines and loons.

Not just Aberdeen, quite common vocabulary.

You need to look to Hindi and other Indian languages. English = Angrezi = Thai transliteration อังกฤษ

Many posters seem to think knowledge of Europeans arrived with the arrival of the European colonialists. Of course the Eurasian land mass has been traversed much earlier than that.

Information on other peoples travelled much further than the people themselves.

Edited by Briggsy

Slightly off topic, but the Royal Institute definition of the word begins:

ชื่อประเทศ ชนชาติ และภาษาของชนผิวขาวพวกหนึ่ง

(The name of a country, a people and a language of a people with white skin.)

I guess the compilers haven't been to London recently, or they don't know that many of those dark skinned people there are English too.