Why are the English called Angkrid

juice777

Possibly from the word Angles or the French word Angleterre ----- just guessing

Because the tribe that originally inhabited England was ....... 'The Angles'

And the French named England, 'Angleterre = 'Land of the Angles'.

Alternatively

England contains lots of letter combinations that can't be pronounced by a Thai ..... En-Glan(d) becomes An-Glit.

Take your pick!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

For those interested.

Would better fit in the Thai Language section:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/589824

The majority of country names is derived from the English language version.

Exceptions proof the rule.

Names of neighbouring countries are generic Thai versions like the already mentioned "kamphucha".

Myanmar is still mostly "simplified" as "phama" (Burma).

"Derived": the apparent "misspelling" of many names is due to restrictions in forming syllables in the Thai language (end consonants e.g.)

E.g. "brasin" for Brasil, "finlaen" for Finland.

Higher educated/urbane/sophisticated Thais might use a pronunciation that comes close to the English version.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's not such a stupid question. The word for English in Thai is อังกฤษ which transliterates as 'Engris' : that last letter ษ is an 's' (which makes it pretty close to 'English'); which when not at the end of a word is pronounced as the /s/ sound as in 'toss'; in Thai the final sound in a word cannot be /s/ so most words which end with /s/ are sounded as /t/. That's why they say 'Angkrit'. So the greeting word สวัส literally translates as 'sawas', yup that last ส letter is another /s/ but as you know it is pronounced ' sawat', (I think Thai has five characters for the /s/ sound!) Confusing. The same process of word ending sounds explains why the locals say Arsenon and Liverpoon for the football teams.

Edited by gerryBScot

Possibly from the word Angles or the French word Angleterre ----- just guessing

Because the tribe that originally inhabited England was ....... 'The Angles'

And the French named England, 'Angleterre = 'Land of the Angles'.

Alternatively

England contains lots of letter combinations that can't be pronounced by a Thai ..... En-Glan(d) becomes An-Glit.

Take your pick!

Option 2, definitely.

Better explained by KhunBen

I'm forever telling Thais and Americans off for calling me Angrit or English. Lack of education for them both. I am Scottish, or British, coming from the British Isles.

However a well-educated or worldy ones do know "sa raat cha anaa jak" or "United Kingdom" .

I think the reason being they both don't know much about geography outside their own country.

The French were the first western influence, hence the term farang, which is a Thai version of France /Francais. It is a similar idea with Angleterre.

I'm not sure. It would be normal for Thais to insert an /a/ sound between the 'f' and 'r' in as they do with 's','t' and other consonants so you often hear ' sa-potlight' etc and 'ta-wenty' etc. Same here: a transliteration of 'francais' to 'fa-rang-set' with the 's' ending, silent in French, being turned into a /t/ sound as per Thai rules.

I basically think it is application of Thai phonic rules to foreign words as transliterated.

I don't want to speak out too loud about the original topic question.

Where this "ankrit"/"angrit" is derived from?

What speaks for the "angles" is the fact that the "k" in "ankrit" does not really sound like a "k" in English, closer to a "g".

Just listen:

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/E131277.mp3

http://www.clickthai-online.de/cgi-bin/playmp3.pl?390387.mp3

(have to allow Flash Player)

Edited by KhunBENQ

For those interested.

Names of neighbouring countries are generic Thai versions like the already mentioned "kamphucha".

"Derived": the apparent "misspelling" of many names is due to restrictions in forming syllables in the Thai language (end consonants e.g.)

Higher educated/urbane/sophisticated Thais might use a pronunciation that comes close to the English version.

e.g. Yermanee and Svitrand laugh.png

I think it's simply the Thai pronunciation of the English word "English." In Thai, syllables must end in a vowel or one of a limited number of consonants (which sound like the following sounds in English): m, n, ng, t, k, p. So, there is no 'sh' syllable ending in Thai. Syllables do not end in '-sh' or even '-s' in Thai. Several consonants in Thai have different sounds depending on whether they begin a syllable or end a syllable. For instance, there are several consonants in Thai that have a similar sound to 's' in English at the beginning of a syllable, but that have the sound of 't' in English when they occur at the end of a syllable. So, when a Thai sees a syllable that ends in one of the 's' consonants, it is natural to pronounce that 's' as a 't' because it occurs at the end of the syllable. Therefore, you might suspect that a Thai would like to pronounce "English" as "Eng-glit." For reasons that I don't fully understand 'l' and 'r' are often confused in Thai, or maybe put in a different way, the difference between the two sounds is not as significant in Thai pronunciation as it is in English pronunciation. Perhaps that is the way that "English" ended up getting pronounced as "Eng-grit" in Thai.

English is spelled อังกฤษ in Thai, and pronounced roughly "Ang-grit." The last consonant ษ is one of those consonants that is pronounced as 's' when it occurs at the beginning of a syllable and pronounced as a 't' when it appears at the end of a syllable.

For those interested.

e.g. Yermanee and Svitrand laugh.png

Not making fun of the natives are you?

Must be time for your gin and tonic :)

I'm forever telling Thais and Americans off for calling me Angrit or English. Lack of education for them both. I am Scottish, or British, coming from the British Isles.

However a well-educated or worldy ones do know "sa raat cha anaa jak" or "United Kingdom" .

I think the reason being they both don't know much about geography outside their own country.

I think you are being more than a bit sensitive.

Frankly...nobody cares at all about what part of england you are from.

anyways...you speak english a bit...don't you? whistling.gif

Edited by slipperylobster

Unless he's from Aberdeen then he says stuff like quines and loons.

I think it's simply the Thai pronunciation of the English word "English." In Thai, syllables must end in a vowel or one of a limited number of consonants (which sound like the following sounds in English): m, n, ng, t, k, p. So, there is no 'sh' syllable ending in Thai. Syllables do not end in '-sh' or even '-s' in Thai. Several consonants in Thai have different sounds depending on whether they begin a syllable or end a syllable. For instance, there are several consonants in Thai that have a similar sound to 's' in English at the beginning of a syllable, but that have the sound of 't' in English when they occur at the end of a syllable. So, when a Thai sees a syllable that ends in one of the 's' consonants, it is natural to pronounce that 's' as a 't' because it occurs at the end of the syllable. Therefore, you might suspect that a Thai would like to pronounce "English" as "Eng-glit." For reasons that I don't fully understand 'l' and 'r' are often confused in Thai, or maybe put in a different way, the difference between the two sounds is not as significant in Thai pronunciation as it is in English pronunciation. Perhaps that is the way that "English" ended up getting pronounced as "Eng-grit" in Thai.

English is spelled อังกฤษ in Thai, and pronounced roughly "Ang-grit." The last consonant ษ is one of those consonants that is pronounced as 's' when it occurs at the beginning of a syllable and pronounced as a 't' when it appears at the end of a syllable.

I think it must have come from the Sanskrit word for England. This is the oldest language around so not a Thai translation.

The early Englishmen were nothing like the majority today they were ผู้ดีอังกฤษ or Poo Dee Angrit or English Gentlemen,

One mention of the word Farang -- often pronounced with a bit of an L -lr sound -- sorta -- Farlang - but not exactly

And as I have looked it up -- Farang is likely derived from an ancient Persian word which made its way to Arabic and somehow found its way (perhaps via India) to ancient Thai ...

The word Farang even sounds like Foreign when one is not concentrating on making the sound...

If pressed by a doubter I will go and find my sources on this ...

One mention of the word Farang -- often pronounced with a bit of an L -lr sound -- sorta -- Farlang - but not exactly

And as I have looked it up -- Farang is likely derived from an ancient Persian word which made its way to Arabic and somehow found its way (perhaps via India) to ancient Thai ...

The word Farang even sounds like Foreign when one is not concentrating on making the sound...

If pressed by a doubter I will go and find my sources on this ...

Please God no. Not this again.

Unless he's from Aberdeen then he says stuff like quines and loons.

Do you guys have MacDonalds there? Do they call it MacDhòmhnaill?

...and do you get to supersize the Haggis?

Is Scotty on the Star Trek series really scottish..or is that a fake accent?

Edited by slipperylobster

I think it must have come from the Sanskrit word for England. This is the oldest language around so not a Thai translation.

The early Englishmen were nothing like the majority today they were ผู้ดีอังกฤษ or Poo Dee Angrit or English Gentlemen,

England in Sanskrit: transliteration:

आङ्ग्लभूमि

AGglabhUmi

English in Sanskrit:

आङ्ग्लभाषा AGglabhASA