SURVEY: Is the new law about selling alcohol near an educational institution a good idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Is the booze ban near schools a good idea?  

341 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dare say, as I am not a bar owner nor do I know one...but, refusing service to anyone is loss of revenue. Stupid question. Do they really check ID's here?

I just spent June in Seattle. Not one time did I get ID'd at a bar or restaurant. At the Solstice Parade got ID'd at Gas Works Park beer garden and at Ike's they asked to see my ID.

Seattle is a great city.

The most sensible alternative to reducing alcohol consumption by minors is the checking of ID's and refusing service/entry to minors.

ID

Seattle, Washington has the best preventive program. The bar owner is required to check the ID of each and every patron regardless of age and deny entry to minors. Should the Police enter the bar, club or resturant selling alcohol, to check ID's and someone cannot produce an ID (regardless of age) the bar owner will be fined. If an individual was allowed entry without an ID the supposition would be that the bar did not/does not check ID's and therefore may be serving minors and/or not conforming to the law. I have never visited a drinking establishment in Seattle that my ID was not checked! It works!

Require the bar owner to enforce the underage drinking laws; Fine bar owners when minors are discovered in an establilshment selling alcohol. Problem logically and simply (oxymorons when refering to Thainess) solved with a lot less disruption to the economy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I dare say, that if you WERE a bar owner, or knew someone who was, you'd know that NOT checking IDs is a great way to lose your liquor license. At least in California. And it happens. And not just at bars. They may all be "losing revenue", but they know they'll lose a heck of a lot more if they sell to underage.

I dare say, as I am not a bar owner nor do I know one...but, refusing service to anyone is loss of revenue. Stupid question. Do they really check ID's here?

I just spent June in Seattle. Not one time did I get ID'd at a bar or restaurant. At the Solstice Parade got ID'd at Gas Works Park beer garden and at Ike's they asked to see my ID.

Seattle is a great city.

The most sensible alternative to reducing alcohol consumption by minors is the checking of ID's and refusing service/entry to minors.

ID

Seattle, Washington has the best preventive program. The bar owner is required to check the ID of each and every patron regardless of age and deny entry to minors. Should the Police enter the bar, club or resturant selling alcohol, to check ID's and someone cannot produce an ID (regardless of age) the bar owner will be fined. If an individual was allowed entry without an ID the supposition would be that the bar did not/does not check ID's and therefore may be serving minors and/or not conforming to the law. I have never visited a drinking establishment in Seattle that my ID was not checked! It works!

Require the bar owner to enforce the underage drinking laws; Fine bar owners when minors are discovered in an establilshment selling alcohol. Problem logically and simply (oxymorons when refering to Thainess) solved with a lot less disruption to the economy.

Edited by hawker9000

I'm not suggesting it's the be all end all answer but it's certainly a positive step, one of many that needs to be taken. But is it a good idea, yes of course it is, only an alcoholic or very selfish person would think otherwise.

Oh, Mr Genius, what are the other steps in your brilliant plans for restricting the drinking of alcohol? In fact, if anyone is selfish, it would be you, for prioritising your own addled and pointless views over the rights of shopkeepers, restaurant owners and barkeepers to make a proper living, as well as the rights of adults - the vast majority of whom are not alcoholics - to purchase alcohol conveniently.

The big question is :- Do Thai's drink too much? Answer :- probably

Will the new rules make a difference ?? Answer :- unlikely

In the village I lived in the 2 biggest shops selling everything including alcohol were close to the 2 schools and are we surprised by this. If I wanted to open a shop in a village close to the school would be the perfect place.

New Rules.

Hmmm If we want to buy booze in Thailand there will always be someone willing to sell it, even if the shop is closed. The only way to reduce consumption

is to put the price up.

A bottle of whisky, coke and soda costs very little, less than 500 baht, if it cost 1200 baht that would slow down the drinking or make Farang poor