Second Scotland referendum 'inevitable'

webfact

Well, there is form there - the Blair government annexed a large part of the Scottish North sea and claimed it as English (but we spotted it so we will be taking it back when we leave...).

Would that be Scotsman Tony WMD Blair?

Regarding the Orkneys and the Shetland isle,am I correct in thinking they only became part of Scotland in the 1500. Just a few hundred years after Edinburgh

Ceased to be part of Northumbria.

How far back do you want to go? Maybe we should go back to Roman times - Hadrian's wall? During the referendum there were plenty of Northern English who seemed enthusiastic about joining an independent Scotland.

Tony Blair may have been born in Edinburgh but he is as Scottish as the Duke of Edinburgh. That said, we do have our fair share of people we would rather not have.

and didn't the people of the Shetlands and Orkneys talk about becoming independent from Scotland if the people of Scotland had voted yes?.

p.s. and leave us Welsh out of the independence talks, it's absolutely pointless. I don't live in the UK anymore (funnily enough I live in Thailand ..) but having free prescriptions for everyone in Wales is ridiculous when English tax payers are paying for them and they have to pay for their prescriptions. we can all say bad things about the UK but it must be doing something right because it's not just immigrants queuing up in Calais to get there, professionals from all over Europe move to the UK because there are better job prospects and a better future for their families.

I know this is thread about Scotland, but you are very much mistaken with your comments about prescription charges - and this is a topic that applies to Scotland too, and is generally misunderstood.

The NHS is a devolved area for both Scotland and Wales. However the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Parliament choose to allocate the cash allotted is up to them, but you are 100% wrong to suggest that it is English money paying for Welsh prescriptions. Does Wales not generate revenue for the exchequer? Are the English the sole cash generators in the country? It is up to the English to vote for a decent government for once, then maybe they would get free prescriptions too, instead of allowing Tory ministers to give NHS funds to private companies.

Edited by RuamRudy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody who finds this a "joke" repulses me. The fact we have consistently received a government other countries voted for is a joke. Our voice is finally being put forward by the SNP in parliament even though we have a government we again did not vote for. Other countries in the UK voted for many more years of austerity and the selling of our assets and privatisation of the NHS. (Slowly slowly) "Whinging" because we want a voice and we want to do what's right for the people of our country. Isn't that our right?? To express what we want for our people?? If we had been given more powers to shape the future of our country it wouldn't come to this but it's all lies and deceit. You can continue in your subservient way of life, giving to the rich and supporting your war against "terrorism" we will vote, vote and vote until we have Independence and that's our right to do so.

Everybody who finds this a "joke" repulses me. The fact we have consistently received a government other countries voted for is a joke. Our voice is finally being put forward by the SNP in parliament even though we have a government we again did not vote for. Other countries in the UK voted for many more years of austerity and the selling of our assets and privatisation of the NHS. (Slowly slowly) "Whinging" because we want a voice and we want to do what's right for the people of our country. Isn't that our right?? To express what we want for our people?? If we had been given more powers to shape the future of our country it wouldn't come to this but it's all lies and deceit. You can continue in your subservient way of life, giving to the rich and supporting your war against "terrorism" we will vote, vote and vote until we have Independence and that's our right to do so.

If there is a referendum to leave the EU and the English,northern Irish and Welsh vote 50.5 percent to leave,yet the Scott's with their much smaller population vote 100% to remain in, and in doing so make the whole UK vote 50.5 to remain in, I for one who hopes we get out,will accept that decision, even though I would suspect that the electorate had been conned as in 1975.

It's called democracy.

Have you forgotten that it was those two Scotsmen Tony WMD Blair and Gordon Bigot Brown who got us into all this mess?

If there is a referendum to leave the EU and the English,northern Irish and Welsh vote 50.5 percent to leave,yet the Scott's with their much smaller population vote 100% to remain in, and in doing so make the whole UK vote 50.5 to remain in, I for one who hopes we get out,will accept that decision, even though I would suspect that the electorate had been conned as in 1975.

It's called democracy.

Have you forgotten that it was those two Scotsmen Tony WMD Blair and Gordon Bigot Brown who got us into all this mess?

Which mess are you referring to? I can think of many that those two clowns created (although, to be fair to Bagpuss, he was not the bigot, but the one who called the old dear for what she was).

But you are entirely correct in your first point. It is another of the huge issues that, seemingly, cannot be resolved without pain. Scots increasingly see themselves as a contingent nation within the union. If our democratic wish is overridden by their larger contingent neighbour, it would certainly strain what is an already fragile situation.

But if I can make that assertion, I obviously have to also agree that, were I English, I would not expect the democratic will of my people to be ignored because of a population a 10th of my own.

What is the point of Scottish independence if they are just going to join the EU anyway?

Hardly independence if they just become a colony of the EU. And joining the EU would undoubtedly require them to join the Euro. Is that really an attractive proposition? You would have to be insane to join the Euro.

If they can go down the Iceland route of independence then I would applaud it, but otherwise they are simply jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

It is somewhat ironic that one of the many scare tactics used by the No campaign during the referendum was that Scotland would need to leave and reapply for EU membership which, according to Darling etc, would take years and likely be vetoed; now we are being told 'leave the UK and you will just be another EU vassal state'.

An independent Scotland would probably be required to apply and then wait to become an EU member. I doubt that it would be rejected though.

After a few years of gradual merging into the EU, Scotland would become a full EU member, adopt the Euro (whether the economy is suitable or not if Greece's inclusion is anything to go by) and indeed become just another EU vassal state.

What is the point of Scottish independence if they are just going to join the EU anyway?

Hardly independence if they just become a colony of the EU. And joining the EU would undoubtedly require them to join the Euro. Is that really an attractive proposition? You would have to be insane to join the Euro.

If they can go down the Iceland route of independence then I would applaud it, but otherwise they are simply jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

It is somewhat ironic that one of the many scare tactics used by the No campaign during the referendum was that Scotland would need to leave and reapply for EU membership which, according to Darling etc, would take years and likely be vetoed; now we are being told 'leave the UK and you will just be another EU vassal state'.

An independent Scotland would probably be required to apply and then wait to become an EU member. I doubt that it would be rejected though.

After a few years of gradual merging into the EU, Scotland would become a full EU member, adopt the Euro (whether the economy is suitable or not if Greece's inclusion is anything to go by) and indeed become just another EU vassal state.

You seem very certain about a sequence of events that even the most experienced politicians and commentators could not agree upon this time last year. Might I enquire as to the source of your insight?

Never one to accept democracy when it does not fit in with his own ambitions for Scotland I would have expected no less.

His resignation after his failure and the previous result, which showed his politics and ambitions were not in accordance with the majority wishes of the people he feels he speaks for was short lived!

Of course he only accepts democracy when people vote how he wants. His giant ego and personal ambition to be Scotland's first president for life won't let him ever give up. Remember is initial reaction to loosing was to cry about cheating, unfair presentations of the facts etc. A despicable self-centered politician who couldn't really care less about the Scottish people or their future so long as he's "el presidente". And now his poisonous witch of a fairy is creating as much mischief as possible to stir things up and further the cause regardless of consequences.

Time this clown and his tinkerbell were dealt with. Someone needs to explain that 4.5 million people in Scotland aren't going to fcku about with the future of 65 million; or decide on the Union on their own; or continue to decide what happens in other parts of the Union.

If and when there is another "referendum" on the Union, I hope the incumbent government has the honesty, integrity and courage to give all UK citizens a say.

You seem very certain about a sequence of events that even the most experienced politicians and commentators could not agree upon this time last year. Might I enquire as to the source of your insight?

Indeed - should be an interesting source as many senior European politicians outside the UK commented that they had doubts Scotland would qualify.

But President Salmond said Scotland would be welcomed with open arms whistling.gif

So he doesn't accept no means no.

First referendum was not correct. Non Scotish could vote also. Make a referendum in Pattaya and let all the Expats vote, Pattaya would become British....

Would that be Scotsman Tony WMD Blair?

Regarding the Orkneys and the Shetland isle,am I correct in thinking they only became part of Scotland in the 1500. Just a few hundred years after Edinburgh

Ceased to be part of Northumbria.

How far back do you want to go? Maybe we should go back to Roman times - Hadrian's wall? During the referendum there were plenty of Northern English who seemed enthusiastic about joining an independent Scotland.

Tony Blair may have been born in Edinburgh but he is as Scottish as the Duke of Edinburgh. That said, we do have our fair share of people we would rather not have.

Amongst those many people would you also include Alex Salmond, who the now disgraced and fellow Scotsman Lord Sewell described as a silly pompously prat?

You mean this Lord Sewel?

post-232807-0-79378000-1438012732_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

What is a joke is the budget and plans the SNP put forward, If you take the trouble to really analyze them.

You think the SNP are any more truthful than other politicians? God help Scotland if those clowns ever got their hands on real sovereign power.

Yes...bring back Hadrian.....wall 'em out and save the nonsense of a vote.

I think the point is that we want shot of the UK - what is the use of a wall?

The point is that 55% didn't want shot of the UK.

Democracy's great - unless you don't like the result.

Amongst those many people would you also include Alex Salmond, who the now disgraced and fellow Scotsman Lord Sewell described as a silly pompously prat?

You mean this Lord Sewel?

According to the Telegraph, he is a Bradford lad, but that doesn't stop me asking the question, what in the name of God does this have to do with the OP?

Never one to accept democracy when it does not fit in with his own ambitions for Scotland I would have expected no less.

His resignation after his failure and the previous result, which showed his politics and ambitions were not in accordance with the majority wishes of the people he feels he speaks for was short lived!

Of course he only accepts democracy when people vote how he wants. His giant ego and personal ambition to be Scotland's first president for life won't let him ever give up. Remember is initial reaction to loosing was to cry about cheating, unfair presentations of the facts etc. A despicable self-centered politician who couldn't really care less about the Scottish people or their future so long as he's "el presidente". And now his poisonous witch of a fairy is creating as much mischief as possible to stir things up and further the cause regardless of consequences.

Time this clown and his tinkerbell were dealt with. Someone needs to explain that 4.5 million people in Scotland aren't going to fcku about with the future of 65 million; or decide on the Union on their own; or continue to decide what happens in other parts of the Union.

If and when there is another "referendum" on the Union, I hope the incumbent government has the honesty, integrity and courage to give all UK citizens a say.

OK, you are either mistaken or lying openly - Salmond made no such claim of cheating after the referendum, but hey, don't let the truth get in the way of your smear.

And I think you will find that WHEN we Scots want to leave the union, we won't be asking you for permission.

The VAST majority of Scots, once again, showed their disgust and revulsion for conservatism, yet we have to endure it once again. Democracy is not actually present in the UK so why bring it into the mix now?

It's ok. The Irish didn't gain independence on the first go round either.

No, it took them about 800 years, then when the Irish War of Independence finished in 1921, it took until 1949 before it became a Republic.

That is why I'm ashamed to be Scottish, the Irish fought and died for their independence, the Scots could not even sign a piece of paper for theirs.

Very easy for you. As an EU member country citizen you have freedom of movement within the EU. You should be able to go to Ireland and follow the process to acquire Irish citizenship and then the flag you proudly display as your avatar can be really yours.

I'm sure no one in Scotland wants you to feel imprisoned or weighed down with Scottish citizenship. Maybe your ancestors were migrant workers a couple of hundred years ago so you might be returning to your roots.

Let's not forget slimy salmond's 'cautious' prediction of the oil revenue from $113 a barrel.

An independent Scotland would resemble Greece by now.

:)

The VAST majority of Scots, once again, showed their disgust and revulsion for conservatism, yet we have to endure it once again. Democracy is not actually present in the UK so why bring it into the mix now?

Democracy was demonstrated by the holding of an election, with free and fair voting and the right to vote of all citizens of age. The fact a large portion of the population can't be bothered to vote and therefore get a majority government voted in by a minority is lamentable. But the right not to vote is as important as the right to vote. It's personal choice.

People in Scotland clearly lost faith in Labor and Liberals and have an historical dislike of Conservatives; so many voted SNP. Fair enough. In other parts of the country people also rejected Labor and Liberals but voted Conservative.

The British parliamentary system may well be in need of reform. The first past the post, the way constituencies are designed, the amount of centralized power etc. But, Scotland with it's tiny population will never be the big dog that decides how it is for everyone - despite the longing of some for it to be so. The whole point of a democracy is following the wishes of the majority.

If you look at how many people actually voted SNP and their disproportionate number of MP seats compared to other parties and number of votes they poled, then yes, it doesn't look democratic. And SNP supporters still whine on about how unfair it is even though they have been massively advantaged.

What will Sturgeon and Salmond propose next, lowering the voting age to 14 in any referendum? If they keep changing the rules they should get the desired result sooner or later and sod real democracy.

Let's not forget slimy salmond's 'cautious' prediction of the oil revenue from $113 a barrel.

An independent Scotland would resemble Greece by now.

smile.png

Independence would not be a thing just yet, however the austerity imposed by a government we have never come close to wanting is making some people think they are in Greece without the sunshine.

As for oil predictions, did anyone predict the slump except the US and Saudi strategists who planned it all?

OK, you are either mistaken or lying openly - Salmond made no such claim of cheating after the referendum, but hey, don't let the truth get in the way of your smear.

And I think you will find that WHEN we Scots want to leave the union, we won't be asking you for permission.

Is that right? I might be mistaken but I thought I distinctly remember him being interviewed and making comments about the BBC, leaks from the Bank of England, releasing facts to scare people.

Have you read the Act of Union? Does it contain a mechanism for seceding? Some American states tried that once, became known as rebels, didn't work out so well for them.

Democracy was demonstrated by the holding of an election, with free and fair voting and the right to vote of all citizens of age. The fact a large portion of the population can't be bothered to vote and therefore get a majority government voted in by a minority is lamentable. But the right not to vote is as important as the right to vote. It's personal choice.

People in Scotland clearly lost faith in Labor and Liberals and have an historical dislike of Conservatives; so many voted SNP. Fair enough. In other parts of the country people also rejected Labor and Liberals but voted Conservative.

The British parliamentary system may well be in need of reform. The first past the post, the way constituencies are designed, the amount of centralized power etc. But, Scotland with it's tiny population will never be the big dog that decides how it is for everyone - despite the longing of some for it to be so. The whole point of a democracy is following the wishes of the majority.

If you look at how many people actually voted SNP and their disproportionate number of MP seats compared to other parties and number of votes they poled, then yes, it doesn't look democratic. And SNP supporters still whine on about how unfair it is even though they have been massively advantaged.

What will Sturgeon and Salmond propose next, lowering the voting age to 14 in any referendum? If they keep changing the rules they should get the desired result sooner or later and sod real democracy.

The SNP took 50% of the vote in Scotland at the election - they didn't get elected through dodgy constituencies and rigged boundaries. They took half the vote of the entire country!

Personally, I have never advocated that the tail wag the dog. It would be a ridiculous notion to do otherwise, but nor do I think that our democratic will should be snuffed out because we are in tow to whatever England decides.

Is that right? I might be mistaken but I thought I distinctly remember him being interviewed and making comments about the BBC, leaks from the Bank of England, releasing facts to scare people.

Have you read the Act of Union? Does it contain a mechanism for seceding? Some American states tried that once, became known as rebels, didn't work out so well for them.

In that respect you are right - but this was before the referendum. On the night he was very magnanimous in defeat. He was, however, entirely correct about the dirty tricks played by various government departments against the SNP, something that continued right up to the May election, and will hopefully see the one remaining Scottish LD MP lose his seat very shortly.

If he can have another referendum then if that happens to be a yes, they should not be able to implement independence until after another referendum with the same time span...

Or more to the point the Scott's next referendum should be "do you want another referendum".

Have to agree with you 100%.

Independence but remain a member of the EU. What a joke.

I understand Jock, I don't know what is worse, being under Brussels or Britain.

The only hope in the future would have been voting UKIP, now I think it is too late for that.

Voting UKIP? Now there's something for a Jockinese to be ashamed of.

Let them have it, then rebuild Hadrians wall, followed by swiftly deporting all the Scottish MP's, and all the EU members that have settled in the UK.once we are out of that EU.club.thing

Just my 2 pence worth,

But a referendum indicated that you did not want to.

Let us hope next time the concept is better planned......... because if you plan to retain the currency, for one, you should be seeking some form of permission from the current government.

At the moment I suspect a lot of English people would support the idea too.

Let us hope next time the concept is better planned......... because if you plan to retain the currency, for one, you should be seeking some form of permission from the current government.

In the NO vote how many were actually Scots as the eligibility criteria was heavily loaded so people living in Scotland but who were not born there and had no emotional ties could vote but expat Scots were excluded ?

How many of those non-Scots fully understood the issues and how many of the Europeans etc will leave when they've made enough money with no concern as it isn't their country ?

In the NO vote how many were actually Scots as the eligibility criteria was heavily loaded so people living in Scotland but who were not born there and had no emotional ties could vote but expat Scots were excluded ?

How many of those non-Scots fully understood the issues and how many of the Europeans etc will leave when they've made enough money with no concern as it isn't their country ?

Well also children were included in the vote but as per your comment it seems fair that people residing in the country being eligible to vote was the better selection. Allowing those who have rejected Scotland, and barring those born elsewhere, be it England, India or Pakistan is racist.

Post 59.

Age for many issues in Scotland is different to the rest of Britain.

I don't know how long you have lived here but are you permitted to vote on anything and there are many issues that do affect expats ?

Will you ever be allowed to vote here ?