Tried to open a Bank Account - Asked for letter from Immigration?

NewInPatts

Every bank and/or employee makes up their own rules. If one says no, go to another. I went to a branch of Bangkok Bank near Pantip Plaza simply to get a new passbook as the one I had was full. Simple you'd think, but no. The clerk told me I had to go to my own branch on Silom. It was too late to do it that day and meant a long trip into the city again the next day so I argued. Eventually one of the bosses was consulted, and after he was unable to explain WHY he couldn't issue the book he did. As so often in Thailand you just have to argue and refuse to take the bullshit they throw at you. It usually works. Banks like to be difficult, like public servants, the world over.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bank branch that I have found easiest to work with in Pattaya is Krung Thai Bank across from the IT Center on Pattaya Thai Road. They have parking spaces in the adjacent wat that are free and the Manager and the other ladies could not be nicer. Two of the ladies came to our house when my wife was terminally ill so we could get my name on her accounts. I believe you would have a hard time getting a Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank employee to pay a home visit. Ironically a lady from the Wanasin branch of SCB just called and wants to visit me at home. I think it is to make a sales pitch for some longer term investment plan. It will be a hard sell as i am now 76! I have found that a box of chocolates every year or two gets amazing results whether at a bank or a hospital. You have to get their attention favorably.

To open a Bank account, Purchase a car or motorcycle in your name or get Thai drivers license you are required to provide a Residence certificate ONLY, Nothing more is required.

Good luck

Your right about needing Residence certificate to buy motor vehicle or drivers license but Not for opening a bank account. I am on retirement extension and opened at Bangkok Bank with just passport proving I had valid visa and extension. Subject has beeen brought up endless times that every bank branch of even same bank makes their own rules.

I went to Citi Bank in Central World and they would not open account for me (USA citizen) with retirement visa, residence certificate or large deposit, Got on Skytrain went to their branch near Asok Station and they said fine just passport and 100,000 baht deposit. Even when I showed the branch at central World their online requirement to open account they said no, each branch and sometime manager or teller make their own rules.

I had a bank account at Siam Commercial Bank for many years now, first on Phuket (closed now) and now one here in Pattaya.

I can't use my Master card from them for on-line purchasing so I opened a Bangkok bank account and the Visa card can be used on-line but that was 5 years ago and very easy.

Also have a Kasikorn bank account that was opened 4 month ago and without any letter from immigration but I think the bank lady liked my 5 year old son a lot, sooobiggrin.png

Yes each bank branch is a hit and miss, I use SCB and BKK banks in Naklua town near my house and I always gets very nice and helpful treatment.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Had a new passport, went to my actual branch to told them to change my passport number in their data.

"You have to go to the branch where you opened account Sir, fine, and if I opened account in Chiang Mai ( I am in Pattaya ) , you have to go to Chiang Mai than Sir."

rolleyes.gif

I went to Bangkok Bank and they told me about a new law and that I needed a special letter, however, it was not from Immigration but from my country's embassy.

I went to the American Embassy and they knew exactly what I was talking about and charged me a fee of course and I brought it to the bank and opened the new account.

Then I found out that there are some branches that will not even ask for the letter because my friend opened an account at another branch that was on Sukhumviit with nothing more than his passport a couple days after I opened the account.

Every bank and/or employee makes up their own rules. If one says no, go to another. I went to a branch of Bangkok Bank near Pantip Plaza simply to get a new passbook as the one I had was full. Simple you'd think, but no. The clerk told me I had to go to my own branch on Silom. It was too late to do it that day and meant a long trip into the city again the next day so I argued. Eventually one of the bosses was consulted, and after he was unable to explain WHY he couldn't issue the book he did. As so often in Thailand you just have to argue and refuse to take the bullshit they throw at you. It usually works. Banks like to be difficult, like public servants, the world over.

Normally you can't close an account at another branch than the one you opened it, but you can withdraw your money, leave a few bahts and by time the bank will close the account (after a few notification letters).

Opened Siam account, filled out U.S. Tax form and others... Blue book... And multiple o visa passport.

Done! No letter.

Drivers license yes......

Got drivers license @ UdonThani needed doctors note, immigration letter for motorbike and car (2 letters) immigration guy said my wife wasn't good enough and I needed a second witness.

1000bht later I had my letters.

No flaming, I know.. I know...

Anyway..

Transportation dept was aces!

360bht for both licenses, no practical, no written!

But I was friendly with the supervisor, he asked what country is best Thailand or my country and the correct answer is Thailand.

Next question, why u like thailan?

Because I love the food, and love to fish!

He was happy with my answers and 360baht and 35 minutes later I had my Thai drivers license(s).

But yes, you do need the letters for this.

By the way, I got my license 14 days ago so the information is current.

Bangkok bank want a residency certificate. Dont bank with the others.

Sorry I had an account with them they were rubbish

And I counter that with having accounts with them for nearly 30 years and they have been excellent. Never needed a residency certificate to open an account. But then I have a work permit. wink.png

Right, either work permit or student ID. I didn't need a certificate of residence either.

Some Thai bank employees who deal with foreigners learn to say "it's a new rule" the way 3 & 4 year-olds learn to fib. It may even be a case of an incompetent, hearsay repeating, work-shedding, supervisor or trainer. Just move on and try other branches of the same or different banks.

Some Thai bank employees who deal with foreigners learn to say "it's a new rule" the way 3 & 4 year-olds learn to fib. It may even be a case of an incompetent, hearsay repeating, work-shedding, supervisor or trainer. Just move on and try other branches of the same or different banks.

It looks like it a hit or miss situation opening a bank account.

Every bank seems to have a different way of interpreting the "opening a new account" rules....

Is this a case of randomly coming across lazy, racist, scammers working in these banks?

In Pattaya the scamming bank staff sometimes even insist you buy their insurance(so they get a fat commission).

Bangkok bank have the sim chip in the atm card so no chance of skimming. There all still stuck in the stone ages with there passbooks.

Yeah but sadly, some government agencies like to see pass book entries, proof of deposits, length of deposits, etc. Frankly, I don't know how to present time line information of funds to immigration for example. A printout of the bank statement for the year of course would be nice, but anybody can make one of those up easily. Passbooks with stamped entries might be around for a long time. Not to mention that many people don't have computers or certainly not printers at home.

Bangkok bank want a residency certificate. Dont bank with the others.

I've been very happy with this bank and it's online options and money transfer capabilities.. no issues and the staff have been pretty decent at most branches.

I believe that something has changed recently, perhaps within the last month. Based upon the forum advice, I am trying with Bangkok Bank. I do not have a work permit as I am on a retirement visa. (First statement at several branches and also at a different bank, need work permit.). Alternatively, for Bangkok Bank, they want a letter from the embassy but can not comment on what it is to say or provide a sample. All questions result in same reply "letter from embassy". The question does not matter. I had prepared myself with a print out from their website on account opening required documentation. I had presented all that was stated therein to them to no avail. I plan to present a "letter from the embassy" when available soon if that does not work at this branch take the advice of the forum to move along. My point in posting is to note that Bangkok Bank is stating that there is a new requirement. I got the impression that it was new this month...

Looked on the US Embassy web site and I do not see anything on there list of items that would pertain to banking, was told by one bangkok bank that I had to get a letter from the Embassy to state that I was retired, would a print out from the Social Security web site showing what I make be good enough?

In every bank have people that doesn't have any idea about its work....and nothing at all refering to foreigners. I got a credit card from my Bangkok Bank months ago, and I wanted to set the pin. They do not know how to do it, and do not know why I cannot do it at the TM machine, nothing at all. Only 2 weeks later, and after calling the toll free number and ask, I received a pin number by mail and I can change it at the ATM machine. Later, I asked the manager info about the BK bank in New York to make transfers....and he told me to search in Google.....Luckily...Google knows.

By the way...if you have a BK Credit card....Using it on any ATM, if you enter the wrong pin at first...not any other chance. The ATM will "eat" the card, and..if the ATM was not at your branch, will take many days to get it back. Imagine if used in other province when traveling...Doesn't make sense.

Edited by Muzarella

KTB Bank Central World Bangkok.. Easy Peasy. Opened Bank Savings account start of July with Passport and Proof of Address. I do not have marriage visa. Have 30 day visa exempt.

Need to deposit minimum 500 Bhat. ATM Card and passbook issued on the spot. Can subscribe to SMS Service, free for first three month, 15 bhat per month thereafter. Can register for internet banking through ATM. When you register at ATM you choose the password, receive an ATM printout with computer generated username. Use this username and password to logon to netbank, then you are asked to choose your own (memorable) username.

There are several posts about opening a bank account in Thailand. My humble opinion is that if at first you don't succeed, just keep at it. GO there on another day/time, another bank, another branch. Personally, I visited many banks, branches, all needed work permit even for savings account. Then one day went to KTB in Central World, and problem solved.

see this post for Another bank you can try:

Kasikorn Sukhumvit near Soi 15 very friendly to foreigners.

Here on this video (skip to 4:00 min if you are pressed for time) say Kassikorn Soi 33 also worth a go.

Edited by meltingpot2015

The letter Bangkok Bank say they want from the Embassy is listed on their website under the section "Accounts for foreigners who do not have a work permit". It has been there for at least five years, probably longer and there is nothing "new" about it.

As mentioned above, whenever a bank employee does not know what to do, does not want to make a mistake or can't be bothered, they say it can't be done because of "new rules", usually that came in "just this year". From reading this forum and preparing to come here, I know there are threads running from at least a decade ago to the present day, describing accounts being refused because of "new rules" that came in this year (and you can search for these in archived posts).

As these new rules don't exist they should not be an impediment to getting a bank account, especially from Bangkok Bank, which has had detailed instructions for foreigners without work permits opening an account at least for the past five years.

They do not say what a letter of reference means, but an Embassy is likely to know. It probably involves something along the lines of "This is John Smith who is a citizen of X and declares he lives at Y. We would request that you give him assistance in opening a bank account" signed the Embassy of X."

Here's the reference on the Bangkok Bank page that, despite a decade of "new rules", explains how Bangkok Bank will open an account for foreigners without work permits.

(This won't help if your branch doesn't want to do it: they will just say it's out of date.)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

1. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
      relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
      funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization

Normally you can't close an account at another branch than the one you opened it, but you can withdraw your money, leave a few bahts and by time the bank will close the account (after a few notification letters).

I had accounts with SCB, Kasikorn and Bangkok bank is the only one that anything involving the passbook (replacing, adding pages to, getting replacement atm cards) needs to happen at 'your' local branch. I suppose the logic is that the hardcopy of the matching signature on the passbook is kept on file there.

I also notice that Bangkok bank is the only bank that when issuing a new passbook, the manager/cashier will fold over the bank book in multiple place and sign their signature along the edges to prevent forgeries. In this day and age of computers and online systems, for a crook to attempt to get cash out from a teller how far could one get with a forged bank book anyway? It must be a relic from the past.

Also, in Bangkok at least, only a few of their bigger branches are set up to handle 'international' stuff like money exchange and international transfers, it's really inconvenient when your local branch has to send you to their bigger branch for some transaction.

Sounds like many banks here employ unethical, inept, racist, lazy, scammers.

Just the place I would want to keep my money.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually I think "unethical/racist/scammers" is an overstatement - inept/lazy perhaps not so much. Whether or not someone's encounter IS an unlucky one with one of the inept or lazy ones is just luck of the draw. Someone gets knocked back once or even a few times, brings the story here to TV, and generalizations begin to flow like water (well, like water usually flows in most places ... ). Those trying to open an account in Thailand usually have a need. They shouldn't read threads like this, get discouraged, and conclude that it can't be done... It definitely can. There's a list as long as your arm of "no-can" stories here on TV; this is just one of 'em. The solution is always the same. Move on and try again until you hit a "can-do".

Try the Kasikorn branch in Jomtien, they are welcoming foreigners all the time. Also Kasikorn has the best online solution, easy to transfer money and pay bills.

Try the Kasikorn branch in Jomtien, they are welcoming foreigners all the time. Also Kasikorn has the best online solution, easy to transfer money and pay bills.

Already have an account with K-Bank at lotus.

wanted one in Jomtien branch, beach road.

They insisted I buy insurance.

No thanks. already have Bupa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to Yellow bank Jomtien opened account in 15 minutes.

they now get my retirement money in there bank

Amazing K-Bank, losers!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was last September.

this was last September.

The Kasikorn staff are salivating, thinking about the big fat sales commission when a farang walks in and wants to open a bank account.

Just the kind of people you want to have in charge of your money.blink.png

this was last September.

The Kasikorn staff are salivating, thinking about the big fat sales commission when a farang walks in and wants to open a bank account.

Just the kind of people you want to have in charge of your money.blink.png

Yes, the lack of foresight is staggering.

Yellow bank ( Krungsri ) will now have my money for as long as I am in Thailand

could be for the next 30 years if I make it that long.

Wonder if head office know there staff are loosing long term customers ?

bet they don't.

Amazing K-Bank

Edited by onemorechang

this was last September.

I know they try to sell insurances but if you show them your passbook from the other account and point to the Kasikorn website that clearly says you can open an account with min. 500 baht theres no problem. They try to open a deposit account but you should ask for a savings account, also you can phone Kasikorn english customer service and they will talk to the staff on your behalf. I know it shouldnt be like that but the staff try to get commision out of you.

According to this thread, Kasikorn are scammers too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738114-kasikorn-bank-wont-give-me-an-account-unless-i-buy-accident-cover/

The unethical, immoral, scamming Kasikorn staff are insisting farangs purchase expensive insurance, are demanding large deposits etc..

Clearly against Bank policy.

Horsefeathers. Just refuse it. I have a K-bank account. I didn't buy any insurance. And my initial deposit was less than a thousand baht. But I accept that they do sometimes try it on ...

For the 8956th time, just stand your ground (politely), maybe ask to talk to someone else or a supervisor or manager, and if/when you don't get what you want, keep walking until you get what you want. You just waste everybody's time (and it's actually a bit juvenile) when you post strictly anecdotal stories of what you encountered at one place and then seek to generalize about it.

this was last September.

I know they try to sell insurances but if you show them your passbook from the other account and point to the Kasikorn website that clearly says you can open an account with min. 500 baht theres no problem. They try to open a deposit account but you should ask for a savings account, also you can phone Kasikorn english customer service and they will talk to the staff on your behalf. I know it shouldnt be like that but the staff try to get commision out of you.

Yes , im sure your right

But there loss,

I not jumping through hoops for them.

( we already do enough of that here )

The branch managers should manage there staff in a correct manner.

trying to rip me, having to take out Insurance or large sums of cash to open the account is not the correct way to do any banking with me.

Yellow bank, zero problems. and zero problems for a credit card, but the usual full amount of card held by the bank.

Yellow bank wins, my K-bank original account now just holds a small amount of money for day to day ATM withdraws.

All could have been K-Bank. but they choose to be like this .

Up to them. coffee1.gif

I do vote with my feet but maybe things are a bit different from last year ?

I must admit I do have a very deep rooted personal dislike for all sales people in the world, nothing to do with K-Bank thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang