What banks will allow a foreigner on visa exempt to open an account?

It was always my experience that to open a normal Savings Account (at Bangkok Bank branches in Pattaya at least) you just needed a Certificate of Residence (and passport of course). The first couple of accounts I opened were when I only had 30 day stamps in my passport.

If you wanted a Chequing Account, or a Credit Card, or any other kind of account other than a Savings Account, then you needed to have (Non-O visa or Non-B w/ work permit, etc). Same if you wanted internet banking.

At least now, when I open new accounts at my current branch, they don't ask for Residence Certificates (though they do need signed copies of my passport each time). Rather annoying to keep having to "open" a new account every time a term deposit comes due and you want to renew it. Surprised Thailand has any trees left at all the way they go through paper at the banks !

Bangkok Bank

Talk to different people inside if you have to. The policy changes based on who wants to deal with opening an account that day or not, what time of day it is (close to break or closing), how busy they are, or if they want to deal with a farang or not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bank of Bangkok main office or largest branch in any city. You will also need Bangkok Bank if you want to transfer in Social Security from USA. Open three accounts. One savings, one fixed deposit account and one direct deposit account.

ok why three? i have one at bbk savings only got it on a tr, now retried on 90 day and i do trans fer from my us account for free

Bank of Bangkok main office or largest branch in any city. You will also need Bangkok Bank if you want to transfer in Social Security from USA. Open three accounts. One savings, one fixed deposit account and one direct deposit account.

why three?

why three?

1 for immigration. 2, for interest income. 3. For SS transfer.

Bangkok Bank

Talk to different people inside if you have to. The policy changes based on who wants to deal with opening an account that day or not, what time of day it is (close to break or closing), how busy they are, or if they want to deal with a farang or not.

agree first time i went to bbk asked on a tr said no. went to to other banks said no . then waited a month went to same bbk bank and they said yes to me ,but no to wife . so waited 3 weeks went back . and asked for wife they said yes. so its all about what they want there is a u tube vid all about opening a account in thailand. and to keep trying even if your told no .

Edited by camsouth
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ok why three? i have one at bbk savings only got it on a tr, now retried on 90 day and i do trans fer from my us account for free

I don't know what retired on 90 day is. I don't know how to withdraw money from a Thai ATM for free except at the branch of your account. I go in and withdraw from SS account and put into Thai savings account and then can use a Thai ATM anywhere to withdraw the cash. Small fee if not ATM where the account was opened.

Edited by thailiketoo

ok i have a savings at bbk and can transfer via ach from us account . so how dose the direct deposit account work with bbk? i have a ss as well as a pension from a trust account investment but investment account wont send overseas

ok i have a savings at bbk and can transfer via ach from us account . so how dose the direct deposit account work with bbk? i have a ss as well as a pension from a trust account investment but investment account wont send overseas

Call the lady at Bank of Bangkok who handles USA Social Security and she will help the branch set up a direct deposit account and your SS gets to Thailand within a few hours of when it got to the USA. The only caveat is you have to show up in person to withdraw the money.

Call the lady at Bank of Bangkok who handles USA Social Security and she will help the branch set up a direct deposit account and your SS gets to Thailand within a few hours of when it got to the USA. The only caveat is you have to show up in person to withdraw the money.

i have on line banking at bbk as well can i just transfer on line to my other bbk accounts

Ask at Immigration.

Before I first came to live here I asked Immigration at Jomtien how I could put money into a Thai bank account as I had asked several banks to open an account and they refused as I did not have a visa. Trying to explain that I needed money in a bank account to apply for the visa they required was like banging the head on the proverbial wall. However, Jomtien Immigration told me that they had authorised the Beach Road branch of Kasikorn to open accounts for foreigners with no visa....yet. Went to that branch, opened account, no more problems.

I was able to open an account with Kasikorn.It was in a Korat.I am hearing with the new IRS law for Americans banking in other countries.Iam hearing it's getting hard.

No. No new problems. Sometimes you are asked to fill out a W 9, I think it is. A1A insurance asked me to fill out one recently as the law also covers some life insurance accounts. The same banks are still opening accounts as were always opening accounts.

By the same token, there is evidence of US nationals being turned away at some banks and branches. You would probably agree that branches doing so aren't so much ignorant of the legal ways for the account to be opened, it is just they can't be arsed to do so, ie. too much like hard work.

i have on line banking at bbk as well can i just transfer on line to my other bbk accounts

No you have to go to the bank and show your passport so they know you are alive.

I appreciated your video, thanks. I have two suggestions.

For added security, mainly when banking, I recently installed a VPN (virtual private network) on my computer. It is either free with very annoying ads, or paid. My understanding (but would appreciate correction if wrong) is that you can set the country they see as originating the email. This should avoid many problems, including Paypal.

I also have a Skype number, so when I make a call, it appears I am calling from the US.

I am here now on a 90 day tourist visa ( for 5 weeks), but plan to return long term in a year or two by sailboat, with a retirement visa. At the bank, (will be in Chiang Mai next week, Isaan now), I plan to say that the Thai consulate office in LA told me to set up a bank account when visiting Thailand this time.

I was able to open an account with Kasikorn.It was in a Korat.I am hearing with the new IRS law for Americans banking in other countries.Iam hearing it's getting hard.

No. No new problems. Sometimes you are asked to fill out a W 9, I think it is. A1A insurance asked me to fill out one recently as the law also covers some life insurance accounts. The same banks are still opening accounts as were always opening accounts.

By the same token, there is evidence of US nationals being turned away at some banks and branches. You would probably agree that branches doing so aren't so much ignorant of the legal ways for the account to be opened, it is just they can't be arsed to do so, ie. too much like hard work.

It's normally the same old stuff. USA Poster comes on Thai Visa and asks where to open bank account. Everyone tells him Main branch, Bangkok Bank. Poster likes people to feel sorry for him so he keeps going to other banks to get more refusals till he finally goes to Bangkok Bank and opens an account. I've got 5 accounts with five different banks and no one has ever refused me.

I was sitting in Bangkok Bank waiting in line to see an officer when two old guys came in unshaven, dressed poorly and looked crazed and disoriented. They cut in the sitting queue and up to the desk of the bank officer while me and all the Thais politely waiting gave them un noticed dirty looks. The bank guy took care of them but had it been me I would have told them I didn't open accounts.

I opened an account at Krung Thai Bank on Sukhumvit Road (between Soi 1 and Soi 3) using only a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

They asked for passport, contact number and if you can supply one a local address (maybe a friend if you know anyone staying in Thailand who will let you use their address)

It's only a savings account and you don't get any interest but you can transfer money into the account from overseas if you want to.

You get an ATM card and a bank book to up-date at the ATM's

They were very helpful and I opened the account in about 20 minutes.